Author Topic: QS Cards from MUL  (Read 14310 times)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: QS Cards from MUL
« Reply #30 on: 25 February 2012, 17:55:34 »
Would you mind uploading the warship info as a file?  Thanks.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #31 on: 25 February 2012, 19:00:55 »
Would you mind uploading the warship info as a file?  Thanks.
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #32 on: 25 February 2012, 19:17:39 »
Ok, wasted all of today working on making these cards work, and I *think* I have something pretty close to functional, for everything.

First, I have 8 cards on a page, but like the canon QS books, they are side by side, and like those books, 2 "cards" represent a single element.  I tried to make the right card things you need when being shot at, and the left card things you need when attacking.

The key thing was 3 "special" cards.  It will simply be possible for some units to be crazy enough to break any cards one makes.  So these cards are the key, they allow easy expansion on factors that are on the cards by default, and warships require them.

The special armor card simply has 400 armor circles on it, and will suffice for most dropships and many warships.  One could use 2 of these cards, 1 scaled at 10 circles per circle, the other 1, to track 4000 armor points!

The special structure/bays card is for big DS/WS/JS.  It has enough structure on 1 card for any unit, even the largest warship, plus it has 3 bays where the doors and whats in those bays can be tracked.

And finally there is an attack card.  The Lysander 100kt carrier has 4 arcs, and 3 attack types per arc, so it doesn't need one.  But, if it had NINE turrets, and 4+ attack types per arc, it could use 1-2.

CI/BA fit on a single card, meaning 8 squads/platoon on a piece of paper.

So, a Leviathan II would need:
the 2 cards for the warship
1 structure card which handles all of its structure and the 3 bays, 2 attack cards with all of its attacks, and you could probably get by with 1 armor card unless your being stung by large numbers of tiny bits of damage.
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #33 on: 25 February 2012, 19:20:10 »
More of em
Battletech Engineer

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #34 on: 25 February 2012, 19:22:44 »
And the last....

If I can get these all done, with a good consensus from the community, I'll tweak my app to create them all and setup printing (perhaps to PDF, not sure yet).

So, what do ya'll think?  Ugly?  Too cluttered?  Too confusing?  Just right?  etc, etc.

My goal was to get everything easily tracked on the cards, without having to make special notes, and encompassing every type of unit BT can offer.

I didn't do the MS one yet, but that should be pretty easy, 1 main card with the image and some general stuff and a little card for each hex, up to 8 total cards for the whole shebang.
Battletech Engineer

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #35 on: 28 February 2012, 19:06:45 »
Ugh, not only no feedback on my cards, but only 5 people looked at em :(  Not many people seem to follow this topic, or forum, or play QS/BF.  No matter ;)

Thanks to SkyHigh and NCKestrel I have made some considerable changes to the core application.

The interface is complete different, and the download a bit smaller.  Same download link.  Here are the changes:

#1.  The unit list is pulled from the MUL website and cached locally (you can refresh it by clicking the button to do so).  So, it is essentially always updated, and will take a bit more time at first startup as it downloads this list.
#2.  Clicking on a unit in that list shows its QS/BF card, the data is pulled from the MUL site at that time and is always updated.
#3.  There is a print button :)  I printed to PDF fine, 350mb and 1350 pages, so it should work on your printer.  You can select multiple units in the list (CTRL button) and print them all, 4 per page.  No support for multiple of the same type yet, or skill levels, sorry.
#4.  You can now only view units of a certain type (mech, aerospace, etc)
#5.  You can show only units that were introduced after a specific year, before a specific year, or between 2 specific years.
#6.  You can search for name or model, it'll jump to the first match based on the list you see.

There may be bugs, control validation can get pretty wacky, just let me know if you see anything.

POSSIBLE future updates:
- Adding more than 1 of the same type of unit to the print queue
- Totals for queue's (points, armor, structure, whatever, optionally averaged by element count for a more strategic game)
- Adding skill level support (PV mods and printing)
- Random unit generator (I have the SO code doing random units, if I plug in some RATs and ensure all the units are linked to valid MUL entries, it'll be groovy).
- Sort by faction availability during era specified
- Ability to put in your own cards, and have values printed wherever you want on the card.  This will be a text file you edit X/Y coords and font stuff for all the values and it'll make your own kinda card.
- Ability to input your own table of values instead of the MUL ones.

Let me know what you think, right now I'm planning on using my templates as I listed above (with minor tweaks/fixes), in future versions.

Battletech Engineer

JHaygood

• Recruit
« Reply #36 on: 28 February 2012, 21:32:53 »
Wonderful! I will have more to say when the stun is over... :D

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #37 on: 29 February 2012, 02:48:15 »
Do these print the right size to be placed in baseball card or CCG sleeves?
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 29 February 2012, 04:00:28 »
I love the new version of the app  O0 , Many Thanks for all your Hard Work.

Is there any way to add pictures to the MUL App from my collection, to the cards that MUL has no pictures for - i.e I've copied & pasted pics from pdf's etc ?, I may have totally over looked this funtion in the app to be honest with you - i.e. I want to print out the Hector 'Mech MUL has no picture of it but the pdf Age of War does so I wanted to add that 'Mechs pic to the app's MUL card.

Dave.

atlask

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 29 February 2012, 09:57:25 »
Great Update.. O0
Catalyst Demo Agent #881, Tulsa, OK

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 29 February 2012, 10:25:40 »
I love the crits being on the cards.  This is looking very nice.  I think I would use this regularly if you get the adding more than 1 of the same type of unit to the print queue and skill level support added. 

One very important suggestion, the application needs a better title :).  And display the title.
  And the boring stuff, a credits section.

Cards comments: The armor/structure "random" placement on the CV example bugs me.  I prefer the 'mech and others that have the armor and structure lined up together.
The Dropship needs room for SubCapital?  But not LRM, aerospace (which includes dropships, warships, small craft, jumpships, stations, etc) do not have AC/SRM or LRM.  they also do not get IF.
  Aerospace just need base and then cap, cap-msl, subcap, subcap-msl? 

Battle Armor and Infantry can only have one attack type (ok, two types if they have IF).  They don't get SRM/AC/LRM either, nor FLK.

I don't expect a cost listing on the MUL any time soon.  And Quick Strike has a defined points system to use already.

Where does the +1PV for the C3I on the Viking come from?  I was thinking that was a hole in QS.  Tech Manual BV has C3 being dependent on the entire network composition.  Quick-Strike/Battleforce doesn't mention a Point cost for C3 at all?  There's no way to calculate a BV or a Points Value for C3 without knowing the entire c3 network?

The dashes for extreme range work, but the 0 on the Viking is not official.  for ground units, the optional extreme range rules say to use the long range value for damage.  so the viking would be either a dash (not using the ground extreme range optional rule) or a 1 (using the ground extreme range optional rule). 

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #41 on: 29 February 2012, 11:10:26 »
Is there any way to add pictures to the MUL App from my collection, to the cards that MUL has no pictures for - i.e I've copied & pasted pics from pdf's etc ?, I may have totally over looked this funtion in the app to be honest with you - i.e. I want to print out the Hector 'Mech MUL has no picture of it but the pdf Age of War does so I wanted to add that 'Mechs pic to the app's MUL card.

Once you download an image, just replace that local image with your own.  The file doesn't look at the image ages or verify they are the same, so it'll just use it.  I've offered a few times to fill in the missing images, but never had a response.

I love the crits being on the cards.  This is looking very nice.  I think I would use this regularly if you get the adding more than 1 of the same type of unit to the print queue and skill level support added. 

One very important suggestion, the application needs a better title :).  And display the title.
  And the boring stuff, a credits section.

I'll work on getting those 2 functions added.  It'll basically be a list you can add/remove units to, and change the order of, giving each a skill and optional ID. 

Originally I think this was called "BT_MUL_Ripper", its grown considerably from what it was originally :)  I'll get the title/credits/check for update functions added maybe today.

Cards comments: The armor/structure "random" placement on the CV example bugs me.  I prefer the 'mech and others that have the armor and structure lined up together.

I can move the structure under the armor, and move both to the left.  I did that as most vehicles are wider than they are long, and this made more room for the image.  I'll keep that in mind though when I revamp them today.

The Dropship needs room for SubCapital?  But not LRM, aerospace (which includes dropships, warships, small craft, jumpships, stations, etc) do not have AC/SRM or LRM.  they also do not get IF.
  Aerospace just need base and then cap, cap-msl, subcap, subcap-msl? 

That was just a copy/paste of the attack block section.  A dropship can have standard attacks, sub-capital attacks, and capital missile attacks.  So instead of Baes/LRM/LRT think of that section as Base/Sub-Capital/Missile.  I *really* think capital missile just needs a single value, like IF, in each arc as *all* capital missile attacks are the same through the 4 arcs... sub capital missiles would need their own SR-MR-LR ratings though.

Battle Armor and Infantry can only have one attack type (ok, two types if they have IF).  They don't get SRM/AC/LRM either, nor FLK.

Can't infantry field guns use special ammo for AC's and have FLK weapons?  I would also kinda think some BA or MD Infantry would get something equivalent to MEL at range 0, as they can do considerably more damage at range 0 (some can ONLY do damage at range 0).  There are BF rules we don't have yet for units that have came out since SO did.

I don't expect a cost listing on the MUL any time soon.  And Quick Strike has a defined points system to use already.

I'll remove it to de-clutter the card, I just personally liked seeing the cost as well as the PV, as some units just returned a much lower bang-for-the-buck (like anything XXL).

Where does the +1PV for the C3I on the Viking come from?  I was thinking that was a hole in QS.  Tech Manual BV has C3 being dependent on the entire network composition.  Quick-Strike/Battleforce doesn't mention a Point cost for C3 at all?  There's no way to calculate a BV or a Points Value for C3 without knowing the entire c3 network?

Page 314, TechManual, under Command, Control, and Communications.  Basically being part of a C3 network is +5% BV of total, which is also +5% per unit, which for all units is +0 to +2 PV.  Seems like it made sense, and there should be *some* difference in cost for that ability, even in BF.  Guess it was kind of a home rule I guess.

The dashes for extreme range work, but the 0 on the Viking is not official.  for ground units, the optional extreme range rules say to use the long range value for damage.  so the viking would be either a dash (not using the ground extreme range optional rule) or a 1 (using the ground extreme range optional rule). 

Oh, wasn't aware of that rule.  Reading it (SO 282) gives units with an LR attack a hefty bonus to capabilities.  Instead of optional using the same as LR, I'd much rather just see it use aerospace ER damage calculation.  Heck, I'd like to see options for much more granular conversions anyway.  For example I think heat should be calculated per range band.  Lets take a unit with 8xMPL and 2xERPPC, but only 30 HS.  The unit *could* generate up to 62 heat, having an efficiency of 48%, which is totally fine at SR, but LR it'd mean it gets 2 attack, but it should be 3, as all it can fire are the ERPPCs and it has enough heat sinks for that.  On the same note, at short range it has enough HS to fire all 8 MPL's, and should like  7 attack, but it'd only get 5.  So this design, using normal rules, would be 5-5-2, but *I* think it should be 7-7-3.  I know thats more complex than anybody who designed it wanted, but it can really cripple some machines and throws off the PV a bit.  This only really applies to mechs/fighters IMO.

Once I get my computer based converter, as well as all 5000 or so units data entered in, this will be an easy option to give people.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm going to be updating these card designs the next day or two and try to integrate them in with the application as the "custom" option.
Battletech Engineer

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #42 on: 29 February 2012, 14:04:32 »
Well another big update, same old download link!

Features added:
- You can now add units to a "roster", giving each a unique skill and ID#, which will be printed out on any cards.
- The status bar at bottom shows totals for everything added.  The Armor/Structure/SR/MR/LR/ER/OV are all added.  Movement is the lowest common denominator.  Abilities, these are crazy.  I hard-coded them for now, abilities fall into 1 of 5 categories:
 -- Items that get added to the unit ONLY if EVERY element has it
 -- Items that get added to the unit if a SINGLE element has it
 -- Items that get totaled, like cargo or artillery, and a single entry added with the total
 -- Special weapon attacks like AC/FLK/SRM.  For now, these are added for all individual units.  At some point I'll see about totalling them.
 -- C3.  I calculate these.  If your unit is 6 elements or less, and all have NC3/C3I, they get the ability.  If the unit is 12 or less, and has enough masters and slaves, it'll get either a C3 network or C3B network ability.  I require 1 C3M/C3BM for 2-4 elements, 3 for 5-8 elements, and 4 for 9-12 elements.  The rest of the systems can be master or slaves, but must be either boosted OR regular, they can't intermix (let me know if this is incorrect, I didn't look it up).  If the roster is over 12 it'll never get the C3 ability.
- Double click a unit on the list top left to add it to the roster
- Double click a unit on the roster to remove it
- Point costs are calculated based on the skill level of the unit

Ideas:
 - I could allow you to put in parent/subordinates, and build the command tiers fairly easily.
 - Averaging the attacks/damage for a platoon, or company, would let you play out MUCH larger games and basically just treat that 1 element as a unit much larger in size.  It'd be an easy way to fight out multi-regimental battles and could be scaled from 1 QS card per lance, up through 1 QS card per battalion (anything larger and stuff just all seems the same, over company size can lean that way too).
- I didn't add LEAD to leader elements, maybe I'll add a checkbox later to specify a leader

Any errors let me know, this isn't really tested very well.  Also, let me know if performance is ok, I'm doing lots of loops and queries back to the MUL website, and if its slow I can look at some optimization.

Off to do data entry and work on custom card updates.

EDIT:  1 think, since the MUL was just updated, if you save the new EXE in the same location as the old one, click the refresh list button once to update the list from the MUL.  This will add the CN10 centurion and some other missing units.
« Last Edit: 29 February 2012, 14:08:17 by Bad_Syntax »
Battletech Engineer

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 29 February 2012, 14:29:24 »
Can't infantry field guns use special ammo for AC's and have FLK weapons?  I would also kinda think some BA or MD Infantry would get something equivalent to MEL at range 0, as they can do considerably more damage at range 0 (some can ONLY do damage at range 0).  There are BF rules we don't have yet for units that have came out since SO did.
They can't be converted at this time, so we don't know what (if) they will be in BF/QS.

Page 314, TechManual, under Command, Control, and Communications.  Basically being part of a C3 network is +5% BV of total, which is also +5% per unit, which for all units is +0 to +2 PV.  Seems like it made sense, and there should be *some* difference in cost for that ability, even in BF.  Guess it was kind of a home rule I guess.
Yeah, it looked like you were giving a flat value for the unit having c3.  The funny part is that using standard BF/QS C3 rules, a flat value makes sense.  It's a flat bonus to hit.   Range and teammates have nothing to do with it.  Acting like standard BattleTech C3 is an optional rule.

Oh, wasn't aware of that rule.  Reading it (SO 282) gives units with an LR attack a hefty bonus to capabilities.  Instead of optional using the same as LR, I'd much rather just see it use aerospace ER damage calculation.  Heck, I'd like to see options for much more granular conversions anyway.  For example I think heat should be calculated per range band.  Lets take a unit with 8xMPL and 2xERPPC, but only 30 HS.  The unit *could* generate up to 62 heat, having an efficiency of 48%, which is totally fine at SR, but LR it'd mean it gets 2 attack, but it should be 3, as all it can fire are the ERPPCs and it has enough heat sinks for that.  On the same note, at short range it has enough HS to fire all 8 MPL's, and should like  7 attack, but it'd only get 5.  So this design, using normal rules, would be 5-5-2, but *I* think it should be 7-7-3.  I know thats more complex than anybody who designed it wanted, but it can really cripple some machines and throws off the PV a bit.  This only really applies to mechs/fighters IMO.
Yes, OV should be split by range IMO.  And the listed damage should include AC/LRM/SRM (with the way they are worded, you may not even need values for the AC/LRM/SRM.  the to-hit modifiers are to the entire attack.  but I haven't looked over all of them to verify QS could get away with that). 
I don't think AC/SRM/LRM should have to-hit bonuses (or penalties), while pulse lasers do not.  If the game doesn't have to hit bonuses/penalties, then it shouldn't have them.
I was contemplating something like you did in one of the "house rule cards" above with splitting out more weapons.  sorta tied in with the overheat.  for something like a Catapult or Trebuchet.
Attack 1: 1/2/2 Missile OV2
Attack 2: 2/2/0 Laser OV2
HS: 2
The unit could use either attack with no overheat, or both for +2 OV.  But I failed to come up with a way to write a conversion to specify how to calculate this the way I wanted, so it's just sat in my head doing nothing.
anyway, house ruling QS is another topic :).

Once I get my computer based converter, as well as all 5000 or so units data entered in, this will be an easy option to give people.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm going to be updating these card designs the next day or two and try to integrate them in with the application as the "custom" option.

Looking forward to both of these!
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #44 on: 29 February 2012, 17:53:46 »
They can't be converted at this time, so we don't know what (if) they will be in BF/QS.

I want to make sure I could include future improvements that I *know* should be in place, like field guns.  Lets face it, 6xLAC/5s or an Arrow IV in a single infantry platoon *really* should be modeled in BF :)  They have rules for special infantry, and I really just think it was just an accident to have left them out.

I totally agree with the attack changes.  Actually, I think it falls on the difference between QS and BF.  They made BF and said "QS works too!", but I think they should be slightly separate systems.  For example, in BF there is just 1 attack, no special types at ALL.  In QS though, it would have those special attacks, arcs would matter more, etc.  Basically these cards I'm doing are complex but needed for QS/BF rules, some rules should only be QS (SRM/LRM/TUR/etc) and not in BF at all.  Oh well, doubt it'll change, but it'll be hard to fit all the new stuff on a BF2 roster.

I went through all the options and found some interesting things.   There aren't just SRM/LRM/AC/FLK/TOR and TUR/IF attacks.  There are also TAG #/#, LTAG #, SNARC #/#, CNARC #, SCR #, RSD #, MTAS #, INARC #/#, HT #, wowza!  Glad I had lots of room on my cards ;)  Also, the SRM/LRM/AC should all have a # for the tons of ammo, as 1 ton is required per special ammo type (Limited use, SO 307)

Also, there are 4 attack types, the BOMB, C3RS, MDS, and BTAS, that should have little circles to fill in as they essentially track ammunition.  BT/BRID are "one-use" items, but could just be crossed out on the sheet ok.  BOMB's should also probably be tracked by types!!!

I kinda think AMP/ORO/MAG/RAIL/SOA/SPC/ATMO/VSTOL should be an icon beside the movement, so they aren't missed during play.  Same with BFC/AFC for those particular units.

An icon for ENE/CASE/CASE II by an ammo crit circle would be nice, same with DRO by Crew Hits.  Also, instead of engine damage FC/EE should not have any engine damage, as they just explode on a 2d6 roll of '12' for each engine hit with no other affects.

And just since I documented it, there are some defensive abilities (AMS/PNT, BAR, ARM, ARS, BHJ, SHLD, FR, MAS, LMAS, STL) that could be near the armor block, so its easier to see when taking fire.  Also, I think sensors should have a range too, change LPRB to LPRB6, PRB to PRB9, BH to BH13, LECM to ECM0, ECM to ECM1, AECM to AECM1.

Basically, the more we can represent on the card that avoids looking up something in the rules, the faster the game should be, but the more cluttered the card is.  My infantry platoon designer I wrote a while back had pretty complicated record sheets, but some infantry could be that complicated, and thus is was needed (and many people probably didn't like the non-canon sheets, just as they won't this app's).

I'm making a few minor changes to these cards, trying to make them more consistent with each other and having them print 100% canon values, and my own custom values that while still canon, spread the information out more and put it in more logical places.  I'll have a house rule option too for any good house rules.

The unit could use either attack with no overheat, or both for +2 OV.  But I failed to come up with a way to write a conversion to specify how to calculate this the way I wanted, so it's just sat in my head doing nothing.

Yeah, though we can get some great values, they can't be auto-calculated very easily.  I'm not going to say its impossible, computers can do millions of loops in a second, so I will work on it when I get closer to project completion on my other project.  Basically I'll go through every possible weapon combination for every unit, at every range band, and calculate damages and overheats for each band.  Plus, I'll calculate energy attack (which can be used in underwater battles too) and standard attacks separately, combat endurance so supplies can be tracked in campaign games, and repair costs for units based on the amount of damage they have and the overall cost of the unit.  This also may allow a... wait for it.... computer conversion of battleforce ;)

Going back to working on the new cards...
Battletech Engineer

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #45 on: 01 March 2012, 00:07:09 »
Ok, I *think* I am done with the cards.  And right at the finish point, wouldn't ya know it, I found some other ones I did about 18 months ago... ugh.

I looked em over, and meant them for 3x5 cards so they had more detail.  Aside from the cards I did this time, they did have a unit logo/icon type on them, showed icons for the eras it was available, and listed out enough useless info on the card to allow you to build the unit (like actual # of hs, armor pts, cockpit type, whatever).  If anybody wants to take a look, maybe get an idea from them, the URL is http://goodsects.gotdns.com/OldCards.zip, its just the excel file I used to create them.

Ok, on to the current cards.  I retouched every one, aligned up the little text areas so they all look a bit better.  I tried to make the cards as consistent as possible, using the following rules:
#1.  Try to fit everything on 1/8th of a page.
#2.  Extend armor/structure and the image to another 1/8th of the page
#3.  Large vehicles, those with 4 arcs (plus possible 9 turrets), had all the arcs moved to 1/4th of a page, allowing 8 weapon arcs to fit within that section.
#4.  If armor/structure didn't fit on 1/8th of a page, use a special armor+structure section that is 1/4th of a page, allowing 3800 armor and 250 structure to fit there.

So, on 1 piece of paper, you should be able to have 4 mechs/vehicles/protomechs/fighters/mobile structure hexes, 1-2 dropships (2 if <=100 armor), or unfortunately, just 1 warship, though you may be able to have 1 warship and one of the units that 4 can fit on a page if the warship doesn't have 8+ attack types.  Oh, and infantry/BA are special, you can actually fit 10 elements (platoon/BA squad) on 1/4 of a page, allowing 1 page to easily hold an infantry regiment or BA battalion... they didn't need crits, so they were easier.

I kept higher resolution versions, roughly 1121x341 pixels each, but didn't want to post 4 messages for all the images to fit on the forums., but for those of you interested (all 1 of you, haha) the download link is:

http://goodsects.gotdns.com/FinalCards.zip (c500k)

Oh, and I didn't include the strike force RPG stuff on there, but it is simple to add as there is plenty of room on one side of the mech/vehicle cards.

So please folks, download em, take a looksie, and let me know if I forgot anything, made the cards unusable, etc, etc, because next I am going to be updating my app to use these cards and completely stop supporting the "canon" ones, as I know they'll be breaking once we get more BF data.

Since the blank cards aren't all that cool, here is one with an ARC-5W Archer, which has 3 special attacks (and no base attack, go figure).   I envision the cards being folded in half horizontally and glued together.  The heat can then be tracked with a small color paperclip, and the card laminated.  The AV column is for weapon crits that reduce the total attack by 1 each, the FC is for each Fire Control hit (There isn't a limit, which is a bug IMO, but I set +8 as the max).  Movement is already broken down into hits for you, in this case after 3 move hits the mobility is 0.  The engine damage block is for a single engine crit (+1 heat if any weapons fired).  The MOR is for morale, and the base morale for this unit (usually rolled with the first structure hit taken to see if the pilot hangs around, mech pilots usually do).  Year is the actual year introduced, and cost is the actual cost in millions, both of which aren't necessary, but there always seemed to be room for them.  At the bottom the RS/TRO the unit is in, the tech/rules level, and the targeting mode (which can be set to SR/MR/LR or the VRT special ability).  Special stuff is everything that wasn't some form of attack.  On the other page leader is circled if this unit is the LEAD, identified is filled in when the unit is identified (optional rule, but makes for some fun IMO), and of course armor/structure blocks.  They are mostly empty, as this card needs to support superheavy mechs with both hardened AND modular armor, plus regular mechs with reinforced structure.  The 4 head/ammo/dest/engine blocks are all essentially saying this unit is killed, and the reason why (ammo = no salvage, head = lots of salvage, dest = minimal salvage, engine = medium salvage) which I presume will be covered more in IO.

Also, all cards have a small silouhette for the unit that is represented with it, a blimp is a large support vehicle (seemed out of the ordinary enough, and easy to recognize on such a limited sheet).

Of course all the other sheets have lots of other stuff on them (like Bays on WS/DS, Drive SI and dropship collars on WS/JS, etc), but aren't filled out so they look a little blank right now :)

I dropped some of the background colors down to save toner on people.

Please take a look and let me know if this would "work with your group", and if you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Time to start updating the application to support these, lotta trial and error there :(
Battletech Engineer

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #46 on: 01 March 2012, 00:52:20 »
Just to test something, I just designed a mech, legal, with:
100 tons (Clan Mixed Tech for IS TSM/C3S/C3RSD)
10 Armor
8 Structure
Size 4
Move 2
Not 100% sure of PV, probably 26-27.
No overheat (all the little attacks rounded to the attack it would have had even with 8 more heat sinks)

And, for abilities:
Being a mech gives SEAL, ES, SRCH, SOA
Having WAT gives PRB, ECM, and RCN
and on top of that, AMS, ARM, C3RSD, C3S, CASE, SNARC 1/1, OMNI, TSM, TAG 1/1, AC 1/1/1, LRM 1/1/1, SRM 1/1/1
TOR 1/1/1, FLK 1/1/1, BASE 1/1/1, Ht1, C3S, MTAS1, C3RSD1, RSD1, IF1

It had the following equipment, in addition to 10(20) HS, 296 standard armor, IS TSM, and standard everything else:
Watchdog
TAG
LRM15 w/16
Narc w/6
SRM6 w/15
LRT15 w/16
UAC10 w/10
LB10X w/10
Plasma Cannon w/10
AMS w/24
C3 Slave Unit
2 armored foot actuators
1 Mech Taser
1 C3 Remote Sensor Dispenser
1 Remote Sensor Dispenser

So essentially, for attacks, it has:
BASE 1/1/1 (HT1)
AC 1/1/1
FLK 1/1/1
SRM 1/1
LRM 1/1/1 (IF 1)
TOR 1/1/1
MTAS 1
C3RSD 1
RSD 1
SNARC 1
TAG 1/1

I think I got all that, here is the card... notice I actually ran out of room for attack types and had to but the 2 remote sensor dispensers on a single line!

Insane huh?  I really don't think a company of these would be very playable in battleforce :(  (and in QS it'd make people not want to play with you anymore)

Oh, I'm not sure if I want / or - between the attack values, preferences?

On this note, with the cards I'll be making, the CAP/SDS/SCAP/MSL will not be on any cards, as they already have the attack of that type and its completely redundant.  I'll also be calculating the ER attack instead of assuming its the same as long, as it wouldn't be.  LRM and SRM values will no longer have ranges, all LRMs are long range, and all SRMs are medium range, so there will just be factors like "LRM 1" or "SRM 5".  All LRM/SRM/AC's will, after the attack, have a value in parenthesis that represents the # of tons of ammo they have, for special ammo.  None of this stuff isn't canon, I am just using a different way to presenting the data.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2012, 00:59:56 by Bad_Syntax »
Battletech Engineer

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #47 on: 02 March 2012, 02:15:54 »
I just realized on those cards I forgot to include (1) or (2) behind the AC/SRM/LRM to indicate they have special ammo... actually, the UAC10 should be an AC10 to get it, anyway, no biggie, point made.

Ok, I spent roughly 2 days playing with those cards, and *thought* had made great progress.  So I plugged them into the app, and they looked like poo.  I deleted the excess blocks (cost, morale, the dead blocks, RS/TRO/rules/etc) to see if it helped, and it didn't.  They *DO* work, but they *DO* look like *DOO DOO*.  So I completely scrapped them.

The colored QS cards also looked like poo, and I really can't see using those unless you are trying to burn through toner at record paces.

So, a MAJOR update to the app, though most of it was behind the scenes, here is what I did:
- Removed the multiple templates, the only one is canon, no other options, sorry, but I did leave the image external so the EXE is <100k, and the image <80k, together they were like 1.5mb, go figure.
- Added support for setting the targeting mode.  This actually updates the to-hit numbers by each range band, so its pretty easy to use.  I think its global though and can't be changed for individual units in a roster, I'll see if I can fix it later.
- Added a checkbox to show extreme range.  This simply adds another range band and the appropriate hit numbers.
- Completely updated all the fonts, locations of text, etc, etc.  It looks mostly the same, but it was all redone.  The names I *think* will all fit on the screen now.
- When you change skills it'll update the card on the screen automatically
- If you don't specify an ID, it'll randomly generate one for you
- Changed where the pictures are and how big they can be
- Added a simple about box
- Added a error handling for every function, and it'll write an error.log file for you to send me in its directory
- HUGE changes to text feedback in the statusbar, you should always know what its doing now

Same old download link, new file, 104k download, and of course you need the .NET 4.0 redistributable.

Some possibilities in the next version:
- I had an idea of replacing the circles for armor/structure with little hexagons, not sure how that would look.
- I'll probably support printing BF2 rosters on the next version, the ones with 12-15 units on a page.  I'll put the actual images on there (though they'll be REALLY small).
- Integration with your own list of unit stats, it'll use them to override anything it grabs from the MUL. 
- If anybody artsy could take those cards and make them look a bit better, that'd be cool.  They look a bit plain now IMO, but I have worked on much more complex ones so may just be biased.
- I have seen other styles of card out there, some with vertical data/pics, or just different.  I may add support for those.
- In the same way I cache images I may start caching bf2 data, this will speed up the performance looking at your favorite units
- Saving some settings so every time you go back in your roster is there, the same types are selected, your on the same mech, etc

I'm off to continue working on my "own" MUL, where I not only track all the stuff on the MUL here, but also EVERY product a unit has ever been published in (not just the latest), as well as full stats and not just BF stuff.  I may take a break from that for a bit to work on some code to validate the stuff I've already entered, and once I get some progress on that I'll be able to print BF stats for things like DS/WS in milliseconds.

If anybody wants to continue work on those cards I made, your welcome to the 3mb or so excel file I did them in, I'd like to see them touched up by somebody more creative, as they are a solution to more complex units.

I'm not real motivated on this anymore, so the next update may be a long time away. 
Battletech Engineer

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #48 on: 03 March 2012, 11:17:41 »
Minor update to fix a crash if you had infantry or I think any non-mech units added to the roster.

Send me any errors, as a couple of you have seen, I'll fix them soon as I get an email ;)
Battletech Engineer

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 03 March 2012, 11:44:01 »
Just to test something, I just designed a mech, legal, with:
100 tons (Clan Mixed Tech for IS TSM/C3S/C3RSD)
10 Armor
8 Structure
Size 4
Move 2
Not 100% sure of PV, probably 26-27.
No overheat (all the little attacks rounded to the attack it would have had even with 8 more heat sinks)

And, for abilities:
Being a mech gives SEAL, ES, SRCH, SOA
Having WAT gives PRB, ECM, and RCN
and on top of that, AMS, ARM, C3RSD, C3S, CASE, SNARC 1/1, OMNI, TSM, TAG 1/1, AC 1/1/1, LRM 1/1/1, SRM 1/1/1
TOR 1/1/1, FLK 1/1/1, BASE 1/1/1, Ht1, C3S, MTAS1, C3RSD1, RSD1, IF1

It had the following equipment, in addition to 10(20) HS, 296 standard armor, IS TSM, and standard everything else:
LRM15 w/16
SRM6 w/15
UAC10 w/10
LB10X w/10
AC/LRM/SRM require 10 points of damage to be split out.  LRM15 does 9.  SRM6 does 8. 
UAC10 is 15 damage, LB10X is 6.6.  That's 21.6 divided by 10 = 2.16, which for base rounds up, to Base damage of 3.  (I did not check heat. But if heat is modifying the base that much, it really doesn't have the special abilities.)
TAG doesn't get a 1/1.  SNARC just gets a number, not a 1/1.  Neither are used as part of overheat calculations.
FLK is not used for Overheat calculations.  It's a separate attack (you can't use FLK and use another damage value).  The most this thing would do, for OV calculations with the stats as you wrote them, is 5.  1 from AC, 1 from LRM, 1 from SRM, 1 from TOR, 1 from Base.  IF and FLK are separate attacks, you don't combine them with anything else.  The SNARC does increase the LRM and SRM damage, but that's not included in overheat calculations.  But it does mean this can get up to 7 damage with the narc bonus, with the stats as listed (but would need more LRMs and SRMs to actually get the LRM and SRM special abilities it's claiming).

« Last Edit: 03 March 2012, 11:54:59 by nckestrel »

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #50 on: 03 March 2012, 11:59:46 »
AC/LRM/SRM require 10 points of damage to be split out.  LRM15 does 9.  SRM6 does 8. 
UAC10 is 15 damage, LB10X is 6.6.  That's 21.6 divided by 10 = 2.16, which for base rounds up, to Base damage of 3.  (I did not check heat. But if heat is modifying the base that much, it really doesn't have the special abilities.)

Yeah, in hindsight it wasn't so legal.  UAC's don't get special ammo.  So, to fix it, drop the UAC completely, change the LRM15 to LRM20 and LRT15 to LRT20, and LB10X to LB20X, add an SRM6.  No more AC attack, but it still has 10 different attacks it could do each turn.  Even if I'm a bit off, 8 attacks from a single element in a BF game would be nauseating.  In QS it may work ok.  Not like this is going to come up very often, but 3-4 attacks are fairly common.

I kinda think BF should give maximum damages, and instead of a single to-hit roll every lance attacks by totalling its damage, and using the missile hit table.  Quality gives a modifier to that.  This way you pretty much always do *some* damage, as multiple turns of BT would surely do, but the damage is no longer a single big hit but instead just based on how good you roll and how good your quality is.  You really shouldn't have a single to-hit number for 3 turns of combat with a dozen or more weapons, eventually *something* always gets through.  I was thinking regular has no modifier on the table, skill levels are from -3 to +4.  Modifiers for movement/terrain/etc are taken normally and applied to the roll as well.  Damage can be reduced to 0 by a crappy unit with bad modifiers, but no matter how good you are you can't do more damage than your max weapon damage.  A single "Lucky Roll" shouldn't mean you do 150 damage over 3 battletech turns, or 0, with no granularity.  For QS however, its great.  Just my thoughts anyway.
Battletech Engineer

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 03 March 2012, 13:03:22 »
Yeah, in hindsight it wasn't so legal.  UAC's don't get special ammo.  So, to fix it, drop the UAC completely, change the LRM15 to LRM20 and LRT15 to LRT20, and LB10X to LB20X, add an SRM6.  No more AC attack, but it still has 10 different attacks it could do each turn.  Even if I'm a bit off, 8 attacks from a single element in a BF game would be nauseating.  In QS it may work ok.  Not like this is going to come up very often, but 3-4 attacks are fairly common.

I kinda think BF should give maximum damages, and instead of a single to-hit roll every lance attacks by totalling its damage, and using the missile hit table.  Quality gives a modifier to that.  This way you pretty much always do *some* damage, as multiple turns of BT would surely do, but the damage is no longer a single big hit but instead just based on how good you roll and how good your quality is.  You really shouldn't have a single to-hit number for 3 turns of combat with a dozen or more weapons, eventually *something* always gets through.  I was thinking regular has no modifier on the table, skill levels are from -3 to +4.  Modifiers for movement/terrain/etc are taken normally and applied to the roll as well.  Damage can be reduced to 0 by a crappy unit with bad modifiers, but no matter how good you are you can't do more damage than your max weapon damage.  A single "Lucky Roll" shouldn't mean you do 150 damage over 3 battletech turns, or 0, with no granularity.  For QS however, its great.  Just my thoughts anyway.

They aren't separate attacks.  One attack, add up the appropriate damages.  'Mechs/vehicles/infantry only get one attack.  Only multi-arc units get more than one attack.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #52 on: 03 March 2012, 13:20:05 »
They aren't separate attacks.  One attack, add up the appropriate damages.  'Mechs/vehicles/infantry only get one attack.  Only multi-arc units get more than one attack.

I didn't mean amount of dice rolled, I meant amount of separate abilities that could need to be on a single card. 

I'm really crossing my fingers IO is great and will give us a good lance or company level combat system, I'd much rather play battletech at that level than with individual units, as the armies are very manageable in size and scope (unlike our own history!).  Even 10 lances often defend a world, how cool would it be to just have quick scenarios that involve 10-30 counters total, that can resolve the fate of an entire world?!?!  Pure awesomeness.
Battletech Engineer

BARNESGN

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #53 on: 04 March 2012, 15:09:50 »
latest update is really spot on, thanks for all the work

Sagan

• Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 04 March 2012, 22:21:34 »
Hey, just got around to downloading your program for the cards and I have to say its a great program. Thank you so very much.

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 29 June 2012, 19:31:54 »
Great program. So if I use the new card format is there a way to download the info from the MUL into it?

Register