Author Topic: so does any one remeber battletech magazine? if so would you like it back?  (Read 7470 times)

FedComGirl

• Major
Thank you Mendrugo for the links.

About stories, from your post and what I've read in others there are stories we're not allowed to read? As for the list of fiction index, the last scenario it has listed was produced by WizKids.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
The last standalone scenario came out in 2012 but since then they've bundled scenarios with some of the fiction pieces.

Since the index is chronological by in-universe date, the 3130s publications are dominated by WizKids, correct, but those aren't the most recently published works.

You can read all the fiction, but if it came out during a period when you didn't have an active subscription, you'll have to buy it separately in the BattleShop.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
The last standalone scenario came out in 2012 but since then they've bundled scenarios with some of the fiction pieces.

Since the index is chronological by in-universe date, the 3130s publications are dominated by WizKids, correct, but those aren't the most recently published works.

You can read all the fiction, but if it came out during a period when you didn't have an active subscription, you'll have to buy it separately in the BattleShop.

So just making sure that I understand correctly, as I have never had an active subscription if I got one today, I would have to pay extra for each of the 700+ stories that I would like to read? What about the scenarios and other stuff does it also cost extra?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Anything that came out before you subscribed you would need to pay for.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Many of the scenarios are free.  Stories range in price from $0.95 to $4.95, depending on length.  Think of it as buying back issues of a magazine you've just started subscribing to.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
Many of the scenarios are free.  Stories range in price from $0.95 to $4.95, depending on length.  Think of it as buying back issues of a magazine you've just started subscribing to.
And you can only read them as long as the subscription is active? If you let it go and come back later do you have to pay for them again? even at $0.95 to get everything would be about $700 and if you have to pay again to get it could be very pricey.

Frabby

• Major
If you let your subscription lapse and then later re-activate that same account then you can access all fiction again that was published while you were a subscriber or bought as "back issue".
Though personally, I maintain a HD backup so that I can access it all offline.

As has been mentioned older fiction must be purchased, but the indicated price is slightly misleading: You have to be a subscriber to be able to buy BC back fiction, and being a BC subscriber gives you an automatic 5% discount.
Also, some stories curiously have a price of zero, though you still have to "buy" them in order to get them in your fiction folder.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Warpimp

• Warrant Officer
    • "Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
I have found one great source for Battletech Fanfic, Designs, Scenarios and Articles. There is even some pretty good fan art!

bg.battletech.com/forums

It may be just what you guys are looking for!
"Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,38140.0.html

"Against the Clans" Against the Bot ruleset for Clan campaigns project thread
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,39685.0.html

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
And you can only read them as long as the subscription is active? If you let it go and come back later do you have to pay for them again? even at $0.95 to get everything would be about $700 and if you have to pay again to get it could be very pricey.

You can always download the files and read them whenever you like, subscription or no.  If your subscription lapses, your account is retained, and reactivating restores your access to everything you purchased.

FedComGirl

• Major
So if I wanted a Scenario I'd have to get a membership (extra cost) and then hunt for them? Possibly spending money on titles without Scenarios because I don't know where they are?

Frabby

• Major
So if I wanted a Scenario I'd have to get a membership (extra cost) and then hunt for them? Possibly spending money on titles without Scenarios because I don't know where they are?
Membership required, Yes.
Hunting/Not knowning where they are, No.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

FedComGirl

• Major
So if the scenario is in with a story the description will tell me?

pheonixstorm

• Major
So here are a few questions I thought of...

For a non CGL fanzine would it have to remain free or could it run as a cheap subscription? I ask as it would be nice to have this setup to pay writers, do some print mags (maps, etc) or would that require far more interaction from CGL (royalties or what have you).

Would CGL be willing to nitpick some stories for possible canon inclusion into the BT universe (provided they dont alter the main history)?
How much help would CGL be able to offer to get at least half of the stories/scenarios in synch with the current universe (3145 does have a lot of room for growth, but we don't know everything).

For a simple ezine (preferably sanctioned and supported by CGL, though w/o monetary help) there should be plenty of talent on this site alone that would be willing to volunteer. But, would CGL be willing to help at least cover the cost of a monthly Acrobat subscription and a few hours a week to check the issue for possible canon conflicts (unless an AU)?

It all seems well and good, and if all the above do well then I think it may be time to get some emails from other who want to try this out and see what we can do ;)

elf25s

• Major
so majority from what i  see would like to have it back or something similar.
only things needed are person with time and mind for the canon as editor and some sort official support or blessing to make it happen...

as for the feeling about it...it seems a lot of folks would treat it as something that is theirs and would take a lot of care in participating in it.

frankly i was expecting a whole lot more negativity such as it cannot be done and its dead let it stay buried ...

from business side a lot of folks said it can be done but as mentioned before it needs some sort of blessing and to make it viable it really would need some one or several someones to to volunteer their time to make it happen.

as for myself i am stunned that any one is even entertaining he notion that it may be possible

you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

pheonixstorm

• Major
I never read Batletechonology but I did read a lot of Future Wars, and I enjoyed the stories etc. It would be nice to see  another mag like it. Would allow for more expanded histories and various AUs to pop up and be explored. Would also allow for more writing to get done and be published w/o some of the strictness of Battlecorps to deal with. I am awaiting an official response to my questions before I go further with my current ideas.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Pencil me in as volunteer, either writer, proofreader, or other.  I adore correcting spelling and grammar, so much so I haven't finished my own projects.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder