Author Topic: My running days are over  (Read 840 times)

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
My running days are over
« on: 01 May 2024, 07:10:05 »
I've been using my treadmill for almost 20 years now, and recently I stopped because of some hip and knee pain, thinking it was just temporary. Then a lump appeared on the side of my right knee, so I went to the doctor. When he told me the lump was benign I was relieved, but then he gave me the real bad news: my knee is per-arthritic, and it'll get worse over time.

Growing old really s----.  :embarrassed:

Ugh. There goes my treadmill. Does anyone have suggestions for non-impact cardio that isnt swimming?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: My running days are over
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2024, 08:47:31 »
Maybe a rowing machine?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2024, 09:01:58 »
Cycling is supposed to be non-impact, but may not be an option with your knee being as it is. Check with your doc.

I've got a small form factor 'desk' cycle I use so I can exercise while working/watching TV.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2024, 11:03:26 »
Walking is the usual suggestion.  It's not quite as strenuous a workout but can still do well at least until the arthritis really starts kicking in.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2024, 13:47:36 »
rather than treadmills, how's about an elyptical?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2024, 14:00:46 »
Walking and lifting are always there for you.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2024, 17:25:16 »
rather than treadmills, how's about an elyptical?

I've been using elliptical machines for years and I love them.  You can get a great workout without putting a lot of pressure on your knees or hips.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2024, 19:58:08 »
Try swimming or cycling; I cycle about 22 miles a week.  As long as you get your cardio in, that is, an hour's worth of exercise, at 90% or less of your max heart-rate (220 - your age), you'll be fine.

I used to take swimming at the local community-college (so I could use the pool): I was swimming 3KM a week!  But you can only take each class four times (two classes), so, alas.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2024, 23:04:07 »
Cycling is also good, but depending on where he lives, he may not want to cycle outside.

Zematus737

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2024, 09:48:48 »
Instead of recommending alternatives to running, you can try to alleviate the root causes of fibromyalgia and joint inflammation.  I have electro hyper-sensitivity syndrom and MCAS.  If I eat any non-kosher foods, anything high in fat, preservatives, or sugar, I experience the joint pain and heightened sensitivities to electronics (EMF & RF) as my nerves (mostly up and down the vagus line) also join in the inflammation party.  I continue to lift weights and run.

Try a change in diet and see how you feel.  We are all experiencing a rising rate of daily exposure to environmental radiation by our high tech lifestyles and the continual radio in our atmosphere that is disrupting electrons in our cells (mitochondria specifically) to disproportionate degree.  When mitochondria have their electron pairs disrupted, they go to the nearest organ to borrow more electrons.  If this electron theft continues on a constant and regular basis, you will suffer deterioration in the weakest, or most strained, organ. 

Do the diet thing and see if it relieves joint issues.  Delicious cheeses and bacon are now your enemy.  Keep an eye on devices you keep on your lap or near your legs.  Electro magnetic radiation is pervasive and works very slowly and is generally being ignored as the root cause of many modern illnesses.  Even though there are many case studies done on rats and EMF that prove this organ damage, tumors and cancer is occurring in them over the long term. 

consider the following case studies:
10 year study on lab mice done with 900 and 1900mhz:
TOXICOLOGY AND CARCINOGENESIS
STUDIES IN B6C3F1/N MICE EXPOSED TO
WHOLE-BODY RADIO FREQUENCY RADIATION
AT A FREQUENCY (1,900 MHz) AND MODULATIONS
(GSM AND CDMA) USED BY CELL PHONES

the list of symptoms near the last page of this document:
Guideline of the Austrian Medical Association for the diagnosis and treatment of EMF related health problems and illnesses (EMF syndrome)

And one of the most concise documents I have found here:
EUROPAEM EMF Guideline 2016 for the prevention,
diagnosis and treatment of EMF-related health
problems and illnesses

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2024, 12:34:06 »
Welcome to the bad knee club.  I'm 49, and my knees were pretty much done at 29 from too much basketball for too long. 

0 impact exercise is important, as others have noted.  That means no footfall.  None.  So you can get creative, but people are on the money.  Cycling, elliptical machines, swimming and rowing are the best ways to get good cardio now.  Minor footfall would be the next category.  Vigorous walking, ice skating both work here (only if you have some good skating experience to the point where you aren't falling!).  Lots of folks are surprised ice skating can help when you have bad knees, but the limited friction means you can really move around, and skating can be great exercise.

Number one thing is to just get out and do something.  Doesn't matter what, but take care of those joints.  Once you have arthritis or swelling (or you lost all your cartilage in your knees in my case) you need to find what works for you and your body and stick with it.  Good luck and welcome to the club that no one ever wants to enter!   :grin:

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2024, 13:54:29 »
Heck, go roller blading/skating.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2024, 16:19:42 »
Cycling is also good, but depending on where he lives, he may not want to cycle outside.

You have a point; I go biking in thunder-storms and 40 MPH wind-gusts (because, at times, I have to).

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2024, 17:51:41 »
Maybe look into Kettlebells.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2024, 20:13:19 »
I feel for you.  I used to love to run the distance.  But I am now 50 and my knees really started going bad about 15 years ago.  I still play around with the boys but I move like an old man.  When on a treadmill I usually just set to the steepest grade and do it as a brisk walk.  Also the stair mills that are at some gyms work great for a good workout.  Finally I started lifting weights almost daily in order to keep from getting flabby. I went from 140 to 160 and feel great.  There are lots of other options to help keep you looking like a "10"

Another thing that I have gotten for leg workouts is a balance board and one of those 1/2 balance ball or burpee balls.  Just standing on one of those and doing some body weight squats can give a good workout for legs and core and not hammer your knees like running does.

Hope this helps.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2024, 23:01:31 »
ok silly but after i got hit by a car back in 11 and learned to fly ...well it was only 120 ft still it was flying. well my left hip was dislocated and my spine sports tiny spines and bone burrs along with some nerve damage due to small cracks that never healed right i was not able to walk long distances and jog...gained some flesh i did not want  asked a doctor about low impact stuff...well swimming or walking in the pool helped...low impact does not cause me pain and it works....oth when i lay down and float freaks life guards out....its like being in one of those sensory depreviation tanks....i fell asleep few times like that
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2024, 21:57:59 »
And even if you, or all of you are not in a climate that is suitable for swimming or cycling, the primary-point is cardio; an hour's worth of exercise at 90% or below your max heart-rate. My swimming coach in college, that had two heart-attacks while I was there, couldn't stress that enough. And he was a college athlete-runner.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2024, 08:42:41 »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've got a swimming pool, but I've been having skin rashes when I swim, probably because of the chlorine. I live in the tropics, so algae build up is a lot if we don't chlorinate the pool daily. I'll probably do more walking for now.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2024, 09:13:24 »
I've also seen hand crank cardio machines if walking becomes problematic.

Zematus737

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2024, 10:17:42 »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've got a swimming pool, but I've been having skin rashes when I swim, probably because of the chlorine. I live in the tropics, so algae build up is a lot if we don't chlorinate the pool daily. I'll probably do more walking for now.

The skin rashes from the chlorination is killing microbes overgrowth that is being excreted from your pours.  Take a black light and confirm the slight glow emanating from your pores.  This is exactly what happened to me when I first experienced my first symptoms after taking a dip in the pool at the gym after my workouts, followed by dietary issues and sensitivities, adrenal fatigue, heart arrhythmia, MCAS and a host of other things listed in that long list of symptoms list noted.  The wear MAY just be from impact over time.  But if it isn't! do seriously take my comment into consideration.  Certain fungi and molds become super charged and thrive by high radiation environments and this may be the cause of overgrowth of what is usually benign bacteria in our body. 

Zematus737

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2024, 10:20:54 »
The rashes are best dealth with tobacco ashes after a generous application of apple cider vinegar.  If your skin burns like holy hell on areas where the rashes occur after swimming, you have confirmed that I am right.  Any open wound will react to vinegar, but if the excretions are there prior to the formation of the rash after you swim the reaction will be the same over that smooth skin.  These are more helpful and natural than any more harsher prescriptions you might apply to your body.  But if you must use creams and ignore my advice, at least obtain a cream that is anti-fungal.  The rest will do nothing for you.  Your skin is compensating for for kidneys in filtering out toxins.  Take it easy on your adrenals and do short power lifting sessions if you are experiencing adrenal fatigue.  Your adrenals are practically part of your kidneys.  You stress out your adrenals too much and you overwork your kidneys as well.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2024, 10:30:51 by Zematus737 »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2024, 10:32:33 »
Citation really starting to be needed here.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #22 on: 04 May 2024, 22:38:30 »
Citation really starting to be needed here.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2024, 23:48:15 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #23 on: 04 May 2024, 23:39:58 »
These help me.  These and a good walk sometimes.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #24 on: 05 May 2024, 05:23:30 »
I've also seen hand crank cardio machines if walking becomes problematic.

Oh! you gave me an idea. I don't like cycling because my back starts to bother me when I sit too long, so I bought myself a stepping machine. The old sporting goods shop was gonna close and they only had the display one available, so they let me have it for $28 cash.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #25 on: 05 May 2024, 09:10:01 »
Awesome!  That's quite a deal! :)

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 05 May 2024, 18:56:22 »
coming from a person who can't even pedal a bike anymore due to his legs. ( can get all the way around to just about 11  position but i can't get the leg to push forward to complete the loop. ( thankfully I gave a e bike with a throttle to get around on.  I bet it looks weird as once I get going I have to reach over and pick the leg up to get it on the pedal
 But what about  placing some weights on your legs  as you walk to strengthen them. Or  get on some supplement to help with joint pain.  I actually have recently been seeing a Chiropractor  for the leg and back pain ( from Cerebral Palsy) and since then I seen a reduction in the back pain, and the number of falls I have taken.  now if I can just get the drop foot( toe dragging) part fixed I might be alright for another 10 years..

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #27 on: 07 May 2024, 00:25:43 »
I feel for you.  I used to love to run the distance.  But I am now 50 and my knees really started going bad about 15 years ago.  I still play around with the boys but I move like an old man.  When on a treadmill I usually just set to the steepest grade and do it as a brisk walk.  Also the stair mills that are at some gyms work great for a good workout.  Finally I started lifting weights almost daily in order to keep from getting flabby. I went from 140 to 160 and feel great.  There are lots of other options to help keep you looking like a "10"

Another thing that I have gotten for leg workouts is a balance board and one of those 1/2 balance ball or burpee balls.  Just standing on one of those and doing some body weight squats can give a good workout for legs and core and not hammer your knees like running does.

Hope this helps.
I'd love to do burpees again, but theyre high impact, right?

coming from a person who can't even pedal a bike anymore due to his legs. ( can get all the way around to just about 11  position but i can't get the leg to push forward to complete the loop. ( thankfully I gave a e bike with a throttle to get around on.  I bet it looks weird as once I get going I have to reach over and pick the leg up to get it on the pedal
 But what about  placing some weights on your legs  as you walk to strengthen them. Or  get on some supplement to help with joint pain.  I actually have recently been seeing a Chiropractor  for the leg and back pain ( from Cerebral Palsy) and since then I seen a reduction in the back pain, and the number of falls I have taken.  now if I can just get the drop foot( toe dragging) part fixed I might be alright for another 10 years..

Sorry to hear about your back pain. I got that too (along with cellphone elbow). The doctor gave me a cortisone shot for my knee and advised me to get one every year, but I don't think I'll be doing more of it. My knee pain is mostly gone since I stopped doing high impact workouts, and now only flares up rarely.

These help me.  These and a good walk sometimes.
I stopped working out with weights years ago because my chest just expands to the point where I need to buy a whole new wardrobe lol. Even pushups does it.

ok silly but after i got hit by a car back in 11 and learned to fly ...well it was only 120 ft still it was flying. well my left hip was dislocated and my spine sports tiny spines and bone burrs along with some nerve damage due to small cracks that never healed right i was not able to walk long distances and jog...gained some flesh i did not want  asked a doctor about low impact stuff...well swimming or walking in the pool helped...low impact does not cause me pain and it works....oth when i lay down and float freaks life guards out....its like being in one of those sensory depreviation tanks....i fell asleep few times like that
Wow, thank goodness you survived and recovered.  :shocked:

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 07 May 2024, 22:32:14 »
I'd love to do burpees again, but theyre high impact, right?

Right. But I just use the 1/2 ball thing to balance on to try and work those core and leg muscles.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2024, 17:21:33 »

I stopped working out with weights years ago because my chest just expands to the point where I need to buy a whole new wardrobe lol. Even pushups does it.

I'm feeling that now after well over 9 months of sticking to a routine.  It's just a workout either every-other day or two days rest.  For an hour with those and also a pair of 25's that I also have for certain exercises during the cool down phase. 

My tshirts are starting to feel the press.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2024, 17:24:51 by rebs »