Author Topic: Mechwarrior (reboot)  (Read 46701 times)

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
  • You messed with the wrong fast food CEO.....
Mechwarrior (reboot)
« on: 31 August 2011, 23:44:23 »
If you guys haven't seen the new Mechwarrior game coming out for Xbox 360 I'd recommend seeing it. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhOvbfyyJw

The graphics look unlike anything I've ever seen. They even got the ppc in the Warhammer's arms right! The Atlas C looked awesome too. Once you've seen it. I want you guys to tell me what you guys think of the game, and what you'd like to see from it.
"Is it better to be feared, or respected? And I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark, Iron Man

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
Re: Mechwarrior (reboot)
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2011, 23:46:38 »
If you guys haven't seen the new Mechwarrior game coming out for Xbox 360 I'd recommend seeing it. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhOvbfyyJw

The graphics look unlike anything I've ever seen. They even got the ppc in the Warhammer's arms right! The Atlas C looked awesome too. Once you've seen it. I want you guys to tell me what you guys think of the game, and what you'd like to see from it.

There's already a thread for this.

http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,3309.0.html

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2011, 23:46:50 »
We're waiting on new news. That video came out in 2009. Only recently has the ball got rolling on it again.

And the 360 port will be the lesser version. Just wait for the PC version. A real mechwarrior game again finally. Man, now I gotta go play some Living Legends.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2011, 23:47:42 »
Too bad it is a dead project. Harmony Gold made them stop work on it from what we've heard.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2011, 23:49:20 »
I thought S&T said it was only going to be a console game any way. My interest in it died with that announcement.

'Sides, the future is already completely booked out; Heroes of Might and Magic 6, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3...
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2011, 23:50:56 »
I thought S&T said it was only going to be a console game any way. My interest in it died with that announcement.

'Sides, the future is already completely booked out; Heroes of Might and Magic 6, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3...

That looks shockingly like my to-get list... my friends will probably force me to buy Diablo 3 as well.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2011, 23:51:09 »
So what going on right now? Have they decided to revive the development project?
"Is it better to be feared, or respected? And I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark, Iron Man

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2011, 23:53:00 »
Diablo 3, Skyrim, and if this game ever comes out it's on my list as well. Just hope it's on PS3. :)

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2011, 23:55:33 »
Diablo 3, Skyrim, and if this game ever comes out it's on my list as well. Just hope it's on PS3. :)
ME TOO!!!!! I got a PS3 and I've been stuck with Black Ops for a while. Although its not a bad game, there nothing quite like a mech game. i.e. Armored Core 2 and 3 were awesome back in the days....

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2011, 23:57:56 »
MechWarrior 3019 is moving at a snails pace do to lack of founds, the trailer was meant to generate interest and maybe new investors but HG more than likely scarred them away with the cease and desist order for the trailer. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2011, 23:59:30 »
I assumed that HG was satisfied after they retcon'd the Warhammer.

Blast HG!  Perhaps if I win the lotto, I can buy HG and solve these problems once and for all!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2011, 00:01:56 »
At this point, I've convinced myself that it's never going to be released on any platform.  In the event that it is, I will suspend my denial that it exists and pick up a copy.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2011, 00:02:20 »
The amount of misinformation in this thread already is staggering.

Too bad it is a dead project. Harmony Gold made them stop work on it from what we've heard.

Wrong. It's still in development. The company that was working on it got hired to finish off Duke Nukem Forever. Now they are getting back to MechWarrior.

No. They specifically stated it would be for both PC and Xbox 360. What exactly that entails remains to be seen. We could end up with a perfectly good sim on the PC with somewhat simplified controls for the Xbox.

if this game ever comes out it's on my list as well. Just hope it's on PS3. :)

Keep dreamin'. Microsoft owns the electronic rights to BattleTech, so chances of it ever appearing on a Sony console are pretty much nil.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: 01 September 2011, 00:06:19 »
The last Tweet that said they were really getting into development again was only a week or two ago wasn't it?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 01 September 2011, 00:08:29 »
Technically, we don't need the Warhammer for a new MW game, I'll kill you just as fast in a Vindicator as I would in a Shadow Hawk ;)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2011, 01:05:21 »
Technically, we don't need the Warhammer for a new MW game, I'll kill you just as fast in a Vindicator as I would in a Shadow Hawk ;)

Amusingly: depending on the variant, you might do it FASTER in a Vindicator then a Shadow Hawk.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2011, 05:00:48 »
I loved MW1, MW2, and MW2:Mercs, MW3 was a vast jump forward in graphics and controls (I loved that you could move the targeting reticle with the mouse, and distinctly remember piloting a Firefly in that first real non training level and while walking it along that raised highway and looking right through the cockpit while walking forward ONE missile from a Mad Dog firing indirectly from over the hill hit me in the head and cracked the canopy glass, AWESOME ) but it seemed to fall apart right about there. Why did the Jags field so many inner sphere designs? Why was the selection of mechs so small when it was so big in Mercs? Why did something somewhere that I cannot put my  finger on feel cheesy and doofy in the bad way, as opposed to the right way?

MW4 always disappoints me when I try to play it, I cannot put my finger on it and tell you WHY I don't like it, but it just doesn't feel the same, I could never get far enough in it to care.

Never played Mechcommander 1 or 2, always thought they were straight adaptations of the board game but I've subsequently learned that they are not, still want to try them.

I would have had no problem with the Mechassault games if they called them GIANT STOMPING ROBOT ASPLODE PARTY TIME, just didn't like em as BT games. (360 degree torso twists, power ups that you WALK OVER to rearm and re armor your mech? WTF  #P)

Megamek is pretty sweet when you take into account the fact it's flipping free and functional, all in all I'm a fan except for the one dang sound effect of DING whenever something happens, but then again the board game doesn't have any sound effects unless you've got over enthusiastic goofballs at the table  :D I like Megamek.

Anyone ever play Shattered Union for the Xbox? I would pay top dollar for a faithful adaptation of the BT board game done in that style. It was glorious, hex map turn based really think about it and use your noggin wargame on a flippin console of all things, only thing it was missing was mechs and the awesome 80s future vibe. I always explained this is kind of like what Battletech is like to non tabletop gaming friends I could get to play against me, since they all either didn't know about it or had vague muddled memories of it that were mixed up with Robotech. Shattered Union was freaking sweet.

Still all in all my all time favorite was MERCS, so awesome, so expansive, so fun, even to this day despite the dated graphics. Proof that sweet graphics does not a good game make.

I'll totally buy Mechwarrior 3015 IF it ever sees the light of day, but I am skeptical of it's quality for many reasons.

1. The Harmony Gold Situation. If they retcon or reseen the 3025 mechs some fans are done and have nothing to do with it, if they cannot reach some sort of agreement that makes everyone (HG Catalyst and whoever else is involved in the snafu the copyright situation is) happy it never comes out.

2. The fact the Duke Nukem Forever was so MEH, yeah I bought it and beat it, but I'll probably never play it more than once again if that. I don't want to see that with BT and MW.

3. Who will buy it? So many oldsters or at least established fans remember the sour taste of Mechassault (Granted this is my opinion from what I've read on the internet and the few fans I've been able to speak with in person), plus there's the anti console gaming crowed to consider, what simulator games are more popular on PC or console? Name three!  If it is popular and everyone loves it I can seen the old guard being annoyed and resentful of all the newbs flooding the internet asking silly questions as well as flooding deathmatch servers or whatever you want to call it with "munchkin" tactics that work in the video game and not the true blue board game. I can see that creating animosity against any video game version that gets released.

Also what have the released besides the initial trailer and handful of screenshots from said trailer since this has all been announced? That usually is NOT a good sign if Duke Nuken Forever taught me anything.

Don't get me wrong I really want it to come out and am hoping against hope that all my skepticism will be for naught, but I just have a feeling that it will flop or even never see the light of day, which bums me out because I was the first to backflip off the couch and break my neck when I heard a BT game was coming out that takes place during the 3rd Succession War, but I just don't trust it to follow through, or even happen.

I hope it does, I really do, even if it sucks, I'd rather they try and get something out than give up if that makes sense.  :-\ I hope all my skepticism gets curbstomped buy the best MW game ever.  :(
« Last Edit: 01 September 2011, 05:23:32 by StoneGiant »
555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

Spheroid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2011, 11:02:50 »
There is a finite amount of time to publish such a title as the successor to the X360 will probably announced at next year's E3 with retail sales the following year.

If the current development of Mechwarrior is well advanced why are there no leaks, rumors or other info?

If you read gaming news you know that even highly atticipated and far along games can and do get axed.

The possible outcomes are greater than release or not released.  Rushed completion or indefite delay are also possibilities.

AnejoDave

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2011, 12:38:47 »
There is a finite amount of time to publish such a title as the successor to the X360 will probably announced at next year's E3 with retail sales the following year.

If the current development of Mechwarrior is well advanced why are there no leaks, rumors or other info?

If you read gaming news you know that even highly atticipated and far along games can and do get axed.

The possible outcomes are greater than release or not released.  Rushed completion or indefite delay are also possibilities.

Aint no way.
They've got to get the Kindle figured out first, then they can release a new console thats mostly kindle based.
two years, at least.
Agent #728

Indianapolis, Indiana

House Kurita

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2011, 12:40:29 »

While I agree it's unlikely, there are possible reasons.

One, the lack of info can be a bad sign.  On the other hand, some companies don't release details until they're near completion.  Valve comes to mind- both TF2 and HL2 were revealed close to their planned release date- let alone a trailer.  Granted, HL2 was delayed (apparently due to a hacker) but... there you go.

They may have switched engines, building it for a 2013 or 2014 release- on the XBOX successor.  While I haven't heard anything about developer kits being sold already, I'd be surprised if game companies didn't have some idea from Microsoft of what the next XBOX will offer. 

As Sigma said, apparently, they took a break for DNF- and if you consider the HG situation before that...they probably waited a bit to see how that would resolve prior to switching to DNF.

We may see something in the next few months if they are back on track, or we may not....if they're not.

Time will tell.

Formerly known as 'Phad'

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2011, 12:48:45 »
We're waiting on new news. That video came out in 2009. Only recently has the ball got rolling on it again.

And the 360 port will be the lesser version. Just wait for the PC version. A real mechwarrior game again finally. Man, now I gotta go play some Living Legends.

part of it was that the people slated to publish, Piranha games, got stuck creating Capture the Babe in Duke Nukem Forever's Multiplayer...

not a crowing achievement if you ask me
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Grave

• Lieutenant
  • All Your Salvage Are Belong To Us
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2011, 12:59:06 »
While I agree it's unlikely, there are possible reasons.

One, the lack of info can be a bad sign.  On the other hand, some companies don't release details until they're near completion.  Valve comes to mind- both TF2 and HL2 were revealed close to their planned release date- let alone a trailer.  Granted, HL2 was delayed (apparently due to a hacker) but... there you go.

At the same time, we're dealing with a company that hyped DN:F to the hilt...and released, at best, a subpar product.  Considering that the PC games have always been the best and easiest way to bring new blood to the Battletech / Mechwarrior franchise, and are also the most efficient platform for storytelling (though admittedly that facet of the games was underutilized in the MW:4 games and nonexistent in any sort of canoncial form in the Mechassault games), this is rather concerning that there's been no news at all.

Quote from: Sid
They may have switched engines, building it for a 2013 or 2014 release- on the XBOX successor.  While I haven't heard anything about developer kits being sold already, I'd be surprised if game companies didn't have some idea from Microsoft of what the next XBOX will offer. 

That's not a bad theory, and it's one I'm sort of hoping is what's going on myself.  Because the alternatives are that S&T / Piranha et. al. have turned my favorite computer gaming franchise of all time into garbage and/or vaporware.

As Sigma said, apparently, they took a break for DNF- and if you consider the HG situation before that...they probably waited a bit to see how that would resolve prior to switching to DNF.

Has it been resolved, with regards to MW:5? In any sort of fashion? The lack of news means we don't even know if they pulled the Unseen from the game.

Time will tell.

Here's hoping it doesn't tell by not existing for another five years :/

Yea, it really is that fast....

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 01 September 2011, 13:17:23 »
At the same time, we're dealing with a company that hyped DN:F to the hilt...and released, at best, a subpar product.  Considering that the PC games have always been the best and easiest way to bring new blood to the Battletech / Mechwarrior franchise, and are also the most efficient platform for storytelling (though admittedly that facet of the games was underutilized in the MW:4 games and nonexistent in any sort of canoncial form in the Mechassault games), this is rather concerning that there's been no news at all.

They weren't responsible for the hype, as far as I know.  That'd be the publisher.

DNF took, what, 13 years?  Started in '98?  '97?

Realms changed engines so many times, and rotated people probably as often.  It was started, and then restarted God knows how many times.

It was eventually handed off to Gearbox, as I recall, with a premise of 'Finish it'.  Gearbox couldn't just scrap it and start over- all they did was 'polish' it as best they could.

I think the fact they got it to the shelves at all is an achievement.
Formerly known as 'Phad'

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #23 on: 01 September 2011, 13:23:29 »
They weren't responsible for the hype, as far as I know.  That'd be the publisher.

Realms changed engines so many times, and rotated people probably as often.  It was started, and then restarted God knows how many times.

It was eventually handed off to Gearbox, as I recall, with a premise of 'Finish it'.  Gearbox couldn't just scrap it and start over- all they did was 'polish' it as best they could.

Gearbox's Mission statement with DNF was "Ship the shippable, and then take the franchise from there."

they fully intend to revist Duke Nukem later, and with it fully under their control, and the graphics war fundamentally over, there can be a focus on better gameplay.  thet fact that in a software patch for the PC version the doubled the number of weapons you could carry from 2 to four (six if you count the Pipebombs and Tripmines) shows that they know the DNF was flawed.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2011, 15:34:34 »

Idle speculation.

Who said it was "well advanced"? All indications are that it is still in its developmental infancy--it hasn't been actively worked on in quite some time, you know. It also hasn't been axed, either. Piranha was busy with other work.

[applause] Someone who gets it. You can't really blame Piranha for being handed a turd that's been passed around like a hot potato for the last decade and then told to polish it. It's still going to be a turd.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #25 on: 01 September 2011, 17:05:26 »
The amount of misinformation in this thread already is staggering.
Wrong. It's still in development. The company that was working on it got hired to finish off Duke Nukem Forever. Now they are getting back to MechWarrior.

May as well just cancel it then.  I pre-ordered duke, figured it just could NOT suck.... boy was I wrong, teach me to pre-order stuff before trying the, well, not-pre-odered versions first.

Wish I could do 3D better, I'd just write it... lots of fans out there doing it though, the crysis wars version is pretty darned good, though lacking a LOT of polish, its worth buying crysis wars for.
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Grave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2011, 17:11:16 »
[applause] Someone who gets it. You can't really blame Piranha for being handed a turd that's been passed around like a hot potato for the last decade and then told to polish it. It's still going to be a turd.

Here's the problem - Pirahna doesn't have enough of a track record to say either way whether they just got handed a turd or whether that's the best they can do.

All that can be said is that the quality of DN:F, combined with the utter, complete silence in any official capacity with regards to the game for over two years is extremely worrisome.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #27 on: 01 September 2011, 17:44:38 »
Off to the Computer Games section of the forums we go. Come on folks, there's places for threads like this, and General isn't always the one.

As for this... no news, to me, is simply that- no news. Cancelled, under way, who knows? Pointless to speculate until we hear something solid either direction, and that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

I will say this, however. Gearbox did what they could to polish a very old turd, and to their credit they did exactly that. It's still a turd- but at least it's OUT. Will the next Duke be as much of a train wreck? Well, I'm not a Duke fan to begin with (the character just annoys me, always has), but to be fair Gearbox did Borderlands, and that's about as nicely done of a shooter as any I know of.

Would they and Pirhana do well with Mechwarrior? I like to think so. I liked what I saw there, though that was almost certainly cut-scene crap and not actual game footage. If it ever moves forward, I'll give it a fair shot. But I'm not holding my breath either. It's been a LONG time since Mechwarrior 4, and really it's been a long stretch since we even had MechAssault 2. Battletech is alive and well, but Mechwarrior as a franchise has been dormant (to be polite about it) for a long time.

Honestly, thing to do is just drop the unseens, roll the other Mechs from the era, and go with it if they're going to do it. From that scene, we keep the Jenner and Atlas, we lose the Warhammer. OK, tack on a Black Knight, or an Orion, or something of that variety. Or use something that looks vaguely like the Warhammer, acts like one, but isn't quite that close (not saying the Reseen, so don't jump on me about that). Personally I thought this one was far enough apart that it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm also not a lawyer.

Anyway, my two cents.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 01 September 2011, 18:23:45 »
Here's the problem - Pirahna doesn't have enough of a track record to say either way whether they just got handed a turd or whether that's the best they can do.

DNF was handed off between developers umpteen times and was a developer's nightmare. They were handed a turd. That is not in doubt.

I concur that Piranha doesn't have enough of a track record to indicate what the expectations should be for MechWarrior, but if you've not noticed, I haven't commented on whether it will be good or bad in my posts.

But that doesn't change the fact that DNF was definitely a turd that got handed to them.

Grave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 01 September 2011, 18:35:12 »
DNF was handed off between developers umpteen times and was a developer's nightmare. They were handed a turd. That is not in doubt.

Agreed.  The question is whether Pirahna is capable of making a non turd.  There's no evidence to suggest they are, which is why I'm worried.

Face it.  Current projects are a Transformers game (most, if not all of which, have been pretty horrible) a NFS racing game which has little if anything in common with a classic Mechwarrior game, and Mechwarrior, which has had zero movement in years.

More troublesome is that with such titles as Bass Pro Shops: The Strike and EA Playground, I really, really wonder what kind of experience is being applied to something that is iconic in gaming.