Author Topic: No swearing!  (Read 94047 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: No swearing!
« Reply #90 on: 05 July 2011, 23:43:56 »
Why i did it was not to be cute or to boggle any ones mind but to add emphasis to my statement.

So then use the actual word.

If you can't bring yourself to actually type the word you want to use, find a different word.

If you can't bring yourself to actually type the word you want to use and you just don't want to find another one for whatever reason, then blank the whole thing out with asterisks instead of everything after the first letter. You'll still get your emphasis across and—bonus!—you won't incur a warning from the Mods. Everybody wins!

I understand i did break the letter of the law concerning this rule but i do not feel a bannable warning was fair.

You agreed to the rules when you signed up. You broke the rules. (Hell, you admit you broke the rules.) You got a warning. How is that not fair?

If you think the rules themselves are not fair, then why'd you agree to abide by them?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #91 on: 06 July 2011, 00:22:40 »
  this argument is too circuitous and to top it off it is unedifying. The mods erase whole posts for words that are not filtered and give bannings, but if you weren't suposed to use the word on a PG13 forum then why is it getting thru in the first place.

I chose to be on this forum to talk about a game i love and at times other things that we as gamers have in common that is off topic.Therefore i chose to abide by the rules to have discussions of the game of battletech, and to share in the information and furtherance of the game.I also find a sence of kinship and comeraderie with my fellow posters, many of whom have become good friends.So when i broke a rule it was as i said, in the letter of the law not the spirit of the law.You as the Mod are the sole judge,jurry and executioner in this.I have no problem with that.I just want things to be even for every one.

I understand you don't care about my opinion or what i feel or believe.I do have a suggestion for some one that might, and that is just ban all the perceived swear words so we don't have this problem, or since it is a PG13 site, allow them all.The cherry picking with cause problems as it has in the past.

I'm not an argumentative person.I don't mind a good discussion where there is freedom to vocalise an opinion.I understand i signed up and agreed to the rules of the forum but what i did not sign up for was heavy handed warnings. You can give you warnings any way you want to, that is your perogative, but it is also my perogative to not like it or the tone.

Also, i have to question another word. In your reply you use the word Hell.One of the people i game with is on the forums and had used that exact word.The posting was erased and he was given a warning.As i have stated, i would just like things to be fair and even for every one.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #92 on: 06 July 2011, 00:51:13 »
ColHengist,

Please be advised that the rules of these forums are the rules. If you breach the rules, you will get Warned. If someone else breaches the rules they will get Warned.

Additionally, we do not discuss action taken against forum members. Your friend may have been mistaken over the substance of his Warning. Either way, we won't be discussing it.

If you do not like the forum Rules, you are not obliged to use the forum. Membership is purely voluntary, but requires abiding by the forum rules. No-one is required to be a member of this forum simply to play, enjoy or otherwise support BattleTech. If you use the forum, you are obliged to follow the Rules. If you have a real concern, I suggest you contact the site Admins, Fej or Chunga, directly.

Worktroll, Moderator
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #93 on: 06 July 2011, 02:28:08 »
The mods erase whole posts for words that are not filtered and give bannings

No, they don't.

So when i broke a rule it was as i said, in the letter of the law not the spirit of the law.

Breaking the rules is breaking the rules.

You as the Mod are the sole judge,jurry and executioner in this.I have no problem with that.I just want things to be even for every one.

They are.

I understand you don't care about my opinion or what i feel or believe.

It's not so much that I don't care as it is that in this case your opinion doesn't matter because you were not warned for your opinion, you were warned for breaking a rule. It doesn't matter if you think children should or shouldn't swear. It doesn't matter if I do or not. It doesn't matter if you personally have a problem with words like shit or damn or hell or crap or ******. It doesn't matter if I do or not. All that matters are the rules as set out by the site admins that you and I and everyone else agreed to when we signed up.

I do have a suggestion for some one that might, and that is just ban all the perceived swear words so we don't have this problem, or since it is a PG13 site, allow them all.The cherry picking with cause problems as it has in the past.

The problems are not caused by cherry-picking; the problems are caused by people not reading Rule 3, which is perfectly clear: If you want to self-censor a word, censor the whole word. Could not be clearer and, if people actually read and followed it, would not cause any problems.

I'm not an argumentative person.I don't mind a good discussion where there is freedom to vocalise an opinion.I understand i signed up and agreed to the rules of the forum but what i did not sign up for was heavy handed warnings.

Enforcing a rule you agreed to and yet clearly violated is not in any way heavy-handed.

You can give you warnings any way you want to, that is your perogative, but it is also my perogative to not like it or the tone.

Absolutely. But you can't say you shouldn't be warned when you yourself admit you broke the rule.

Also, i have to question another word. In your reply you use the word Hell.One of the people i game with is on the forums and had used that exact word.The posting was erased and he was given a warning.As i have stated, i would just like things to be fair and even for every one.

Well hell's bells, that just never would've happened. No way in hell. It would be a hell of a thing if someone were warned for using the word hell. I mean, what the hell? Seriously, hell if I know what actually happened but I can pretty much guaran-******-tee you he wasn't warned for using the word hell. The Mods don't just go around warning people for the hell of it, you know. But if he substituted things like 3 or ! for some of the letters in the word hell, then hell yeah he would have gotten a warning for violating Rule 3.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go listen to some Meat Loaf.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #94 on: 06 July 2011, 04:48:55 »
Question: why are you even responding to a guy who can't follow the basic rules of the forum that we all agreed to?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #95 on: 06 July 2011, 07:22:16 »
Question: why are you even responding to a guy who can't follow the basic rules of the forum that we all agreed to?

Because we still like you, despite all your flaws.  :D
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #96 on: 06 July 2011, 08:00:38 »
words are words. Intentions are offensive. Its okay to blow stuff up and kill people and so on but just don't f-bomb it okay? just regular bombs are fine in print though. I want my kid to grow up knowing how to KILL like a good, god-fearing xtian person who doesn't say naughty things!

I don't know how mocking "xtians" has anything to do with anything.

HikageMaru

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 06 July 2011, 09:49:31 »
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go listen to some Meat Loaf.

I just figured out why I have Two Outta Three Ain't Bad rolling around in my head all morning.  Thanks a lot.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #98 on: 06 July 2011, 12:12:12 »

Gotta have a hobby?

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 07 July 2011, 01:18:27 »
You as the Mod are the sole judge,jurry and executioner in this.

Actually, that's a misconception that merits some comment:
All actions the Mods take are tracked. They report any warnings in a special (obviously hidden) forum such that the interaction can be reviewed by the Admins and other Mods.
If a bad warning's given, it's overturned. This happens, and has happened for years. The peer review I mentioned above achieves a good chunk of that.
Beyond that, there are observers who keep an eye on the Mod and Admin team and act if things are heading in to the wrong direction.

So when i broke a rule it was as i said, in the letter of the law not the spirit of the law.

Letter or spirit, why do you think that distinction is relevant?
Should someone who violates only the spirit of the rule not be acted upon?
Or do you mean that if someone who violates the letter, but not the spirit should go unpunished? How is it even possible to evaluate whether the spirit was not violated, when the letter was? Surely you're not suggesting that "I didn't mean to" should be a defense?

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

HikageMaru

• Captain
« Reply #100 on: 07 July 2011, 08:06:30 »
Actually, that's a misconception that merits some comment:
All actions the Mods take are tracked. They report any warnings in a special (obviously hidden) forum such that the interaction can be reviewed by the Admins and other Mods.
If a bad warning's given, it's overturned. This happens, and has happened for years. The peer review I mentioned above achieves a good chunk of that.
Beyond that, there are observers who keep an eye on the Mod and Admin team and act if things are heading in to the wrong direction.

Letter or spirit, why do you think that distinction is relevant?
Should someone who violates only the spirit of the rule not be acted upon?
Or do you mean that if someone who violates the letter, but not the spirit should go unpunished? How is it even possible to evaluate whether the spirit was not violated, when the letter was? Surely you're not suggesting that "I didn't mean to" should be a defense?

Paul

The spirit of the law really only comes into play if the letter of the law is facially ambiguous.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 07 July 2011, 09:59:24 »
The rule is ambiguous. No swearing should be no swearing and all perceived swear words should be banned.

Then again, worktroll said this is a PG13 site. By age 13 these words are not unknown. If some are ok then why not others? What is the standard for the cutoff? Why not just be allowed to use them all if they are all known and used.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I got a warning for putting asterisks behing a letter that just so happens to be the start of a word that is allowed to be used on this forum. That's the complaint i have. I would prefer to take it up in pm's.

Also i truly don't appreciate snyde and inflamitory comments from former writer when i am having a serious discussion with the mods. Then again, you can do whatever you want i guess.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 07 July 2011, 10:28:03 »
Also i truly don't appreciate snyde and inflamitory comments from former writer when i am having a serious discussion with the mods. Then again, you can do whatever you want i guess.

Snide and inflammatory? Certainly not. I'm being serious, and I'm asking sincere questions with absolutely not derogatory intent. I don't understand your position, and I'm trying to get a better handle on it. Your post clarified a number of things for me.

Also, I'm a former admin, but active writer.

Paul

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 07 July 2011, 10:59:47 »
That wasn't meant toward you Paul. I have always found you decent.

As i said, i would prefer to take this to PM's unless anyone wants to debate more here

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 07 July 2011, 11:30:16 »

Thanks!

As i said, i would prefer to take this to PM's unless anyone wants to debate more here

That may be the best approach.

Paul

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #105 on: 07 July 2011, 11:45:01 »
The rule is ambiguous.

I'd agree to an extent. The part I think is ambiguous is this: "if you happen to use one that the filter does not recognize, you will be warned." What exactly constitutes "one that the filter does not recognize"? Does it apply to words like shit, hell, bitch, piss, etc that some people may consider swear words but that don't get filtered or does it apply to words that the admins hadn't thought to include in the verboten list but will add now that those words have been brought to their attention? Even though I know which it is (i.e., the latter), I could see both interpretations being valid. (And the "No swearing!" title of this thread doesn't help cut down on ambiguity.)

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I got a warning for putting asterisks behing a letter that just so happens to be the start of a word that is allowed to be used on this forum.

That part of the rule, however, is not ambiguous. "If you want to censor it, censor all of it" could not be clearer, and there are even examples given of good and bad self-censoring to guide the user so inclined. So if you break it, you have no basis for complaining if you get warned.

HikageMaru

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: 07 July 2011, 13:24:45 »

To whom was it addressed?  Me?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #107 on: 07 July 2011, 13:30:24 »
Bosch, who lists 'former writer' in his profile.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #108 on: 07 July 2011, 13:42:09 »
After receiving my warning i reread rule 2. I found i was breaking it, regardless of my intent, or motive. After learning that the word i incorrectly cencered myself on wasn't even a cencered word, was when i decided i was given a warning i shouldn't have received.

I now understand that the only reason i was given a warning was because i used asterisks. So i just want to be clear on this. If i type a letter, regardless of the letter, and put any number or asterisks after it i will receive a warning that could possably result in a banning. Is this correct ?

HikageMaru

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 07 July 2011, 13:47:50 »
Bosch, who lists 'former writer' in his profile.

Ah, I see where Bosch says "former author."  I thought he meant "the writer of the post preceding mine," which was my post.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #110 on: 07 July 2011, 18:39:40 »
What is the standard for the cutoff?

I can tell you what the standard isn't: If it's used in the books then it's ok to use on the site. Page 217 of the 25th Anniversary has two versions of f-bombs being dropped. However, ****** and ****** are both words that the Censortron blocks.

It's a double-standard and it's a pretty shitty one.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #111 on: 07 July 2011, 18:51:27 »
It's not in any way a double standard to have separate rules for separate things (e.g., books vs forums).

It would be a double standard to have separate rules for the same thing (e.g., two posters on the same forum being held to different rules).

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #112 on: 14 July 2011, 08:58:39 »

This is a great way to tell if someone has ever met Paul or not- if they think he's anything but a scoundrel, they don't know Paul. ;)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #113 on: 14 July 2011, 09:31:23 »
This is a great way to tell if someone has ever met Paul or not- if they think he's anything but a scoundrel, they don't know Paul. ;)

Your mother resembles a llama.

Paul

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #114 on: 14 July 2011, 09:34:41 »
Your mother resembles a llama.

Paul

This, in turn, is a good way to tell if someone has met my mother- accurate and honest description.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
« Reply #115 on: 05 September 2011, 13:26:53 »
I wonder if this rule should apply to words already used by FASA or Catalyst within the game; I distinctly remember a vehicle in TR:2750 that mounted Randall Hellbitch lasers, which might count as two cusswords to some people.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2011, 13:33:41 by VF1LAM »
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 05 September 2011, 13:32:45 »
no idea.I am however seeing a lot of letter with asterisks after them stay on the boards.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #117 on: 05 September 2011, 13:39:29 »
Don't forget Herbs hatred of the word Frak, even though I remember seeing it in a novel at one point.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #118 on: 05 September 2011, 14:50:52 »
no idea.I am however seeing a lot of letter with asterisks after them stay on the boards.

So report them if you think they break the rules. That's what that button is there for. The Mods are only human and they will miss things.

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #119 on: 24 September 2011, 22:11:43 »
not a fan of the thin skinned reaction to words around these parts. Since it's the rules I will follow them, but people need to buck up. Seriously.

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA