Author Topic: Battleforce game size  (Read 2798 times)

dwinter

• Sergeant
Battleforce game size
« on: 03 January 2012, 10:09:58 »
I`m just starting to get into Battleforce and I like how the game play so far but I was interested in knowing what size game do people normally play?

The forces in the QSR are about 180 points, is that "normal" or way below what an average game is?
Star Commander David Llywelyn, 9th Raven Striker Cluster "The Snow Hunters", 1st Nova, Alpha Galaxy

Lieutenant Robin Llywelyn, 2nd Mech Striker Company, 2nd Mech Regiment, 59th Jump Infantry Division, XXXVI Corp, Sixteenth Army

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Battleforce game size
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2012, 13:27:51 »
I've run/played in everything from three lance v three lance (ie. 6 total figures on the board) BattleForce to more than a hundred figures per side Quick-Strike. 
I prefer quick games in general though, I so I like company v company size Quick-Strike games (12 figures a side) or possibly twice that for BattleForce (6 figures a side).  I would say that's close to a TW lance v lance battle.    One interesting part of Quick Strike is that things can scale up pretty large without increasing time all that much, since movement/range isn't as complicated as Total Warfare. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sagan

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2012, 18:40:28 »
 I mainly play up to a battalion per side and occasionally more.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2012, 12:36:06 »
I do company on company battle in a matter of a couple hours.  It is quick and easy.  :)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2012, 13:39:15 »
What would be the suggest rule set to use if wanting to do regiment/RCT on regiment/RCT level engagements?   The kind that would come up with a grand strategy level of gameplay instead of caring about the nitty gritty squad/lance/company level of play.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2012, 22:43:06 »
I would guess that regiment vs. regiment will be covered in Interstellar Operations, quiaff?

((Sorry, rereading Blood of Kerensky. :) ))

bjorn

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2012, 20:53:29 »
What would be the suggest rule set to use if wanting to do regiment/RCT on regiment/RCT level engagements?   The kind that would come up with a grand strategy level of gameplay instead of caring about the nitty gritty squad/lance/company level of play.

Battleforce really can't handle RCTs in one engagement, but the old Battleforce 2 had rules for running a large engagement, where you tracked units as large as a RCT and they had a planetary invasion rules as well. In an actual BF game, I would stay away from any engagement larger than about 10-12 lances per side.

Register