Author Topic: Wieczorek's Archers mercenary unit and the Wyatt Militia  (Read 21286 times)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Re: Wieczorek's Archers mercenary unit
« Reply #60 on: 01 November 2022, 17:58:51 »
There's a lot to unpack lately, but one quick thought: Battle-armored infantry can ride around in trucks just as easily as anybody else. Score some stake-beds and put the rest of the money for transpo into proper AFVs and you can have the best of both worlds.

Doesn't BattleTech have rules for tank-desant? If not, why not?
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #61 on: 01 November 2022, 18:25:38 »
You've got enough personnel to need a Field Kitchen... add that to your overhead too...  ???

Also, don't forget that every combat vehicle adds another squad of infantry needed to maintain it.  I use my infantry (at least those below Squad Leader) as AsTechs.  Vehicle crew can help decrease those numbers, but will never eliminate it.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 01 November 2022, 22:02:57 »
Agreed to all of that, but I also think you need to spend the 20 tons on four platoons of "infantry", aka "AsTechs".  My usual strategy is to "buy" a squad per 'mech or vehicle, the necessary Techs, and pay full "Scout Infantry" price for the Squad Leaders, Officers and Senior NCOs.  It's really not that expensive, and TOTALLY worth the price...  ^-^
I'm not sure I like using my infantry/security force as Astechs on a regular basics, because well when they are "asteching" who is providing security?

Mule makes a good carrier if you are not looking at doing hot combat landing and maybe a Seeker to support combat ops.

Heavy APC can be converted into a # of useful vehicles.

kinda caught up now

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #63 on: 01 November 2022, 22:34:16 »
There's a lot to unpack lately, but one quick thought: Battle-armored infantry can ride around in trucks just as easily as anybody else. Score some stake-beds and put the rest of the money for transpo into proper AFVs and you can have the best of both worlds.

If I can get my hands on Clan ERMLs I can always use that Goblin IFV variant I posted over in Combat Vehicles as a BA carrier...I should probably post an IS ERML version for supply since I have IS ERMLs on the 'Mechs.  I don't want to completely overshadow the 'mechs, though, since they're supposed to be the core of the fighting group hence only taking one company of Goblins as infantry transports.

Stake-beds?  You mean something like BT's Flatbed Truck (ten tons, six tons armored cargo) or did you have something else in mind.

Doesn't BattleTech have rules for tank-desant? If not, why not?

As far as tank desant goes, I've never seen anything, though I suppose "external cargo" would apply in such a situation.  IIRC you can drop cargo anytime, and it shouldn't be hard to houserule a squad (or hell, a whole platoon) as desant.

You've got enough personnel to need a Field Kitchen... add that to your overhead too...  ???

Yeah a Field Kitchen is a great idea, it beats operating on rations the whole time you're deployed.  One only weighs three tons, so I can put two of them on a single Flatbed Truck as deployable cargo.  How many personnel would man such a kitchen, say for an estimated headcount of 600 troops (as that's the next big number I'm heading towards) - perhaps two "squads" of "infantry" to account for the cooks and support staff.

Also, don't forget that every combat vehicle adds another squad of infantry needed to maintain it.  I use my infantry (at least those below Squad Leader) as AsTechs.  Vehicle crew can help decrease those numbers, but will never eliminate it.

Alright, let me attack this.  Each "tech squad" is one Tech and six AsTechs, the six of which can be infantry.  My BattleMechs are precious and custom, so I want each to have a dedicated tech squad for each one.  Fortunately there's only four, so that's four squads of pure Techs.  Each vehicle needing its own tech team...I think I have (at the moment) fourteen Goblins (two of which are converted CEVs), thirteen Heavy APCs, ten Flatbed Trucks, one HBRV...no, at this rate I'd need so many AsTechs I'd be putting my entire infantry force to work doing maintenance that I wouldn't be able to send them off to do infantry things like site security.  That means having dedicated techs.  Add in twelve squads of BA and my maintenance requirements go even higher.  That puts me at a requirement of 50 tech teams of seven men each if each "unit" has its own techs.  That's twelve and a half "platoons" of troops if I go that route, which...is far more than my infantry but isn't all that much in the endgame of transportation.  Supply on the other hand, that's an extra 350 mouths to feed.  That does assume I don't make changes to my vehicle numbers.

I'm only using the 'Mechs as primary combatants, the Goblins are more of a defensive role and aren't intended to get into combat as often.  Meanwhile the HAPCs and other vehicles aren't considered for combat at all as far as I intend to use them.  With the way repair rules go, I'm thinking I can maybe get away with one full dedicated tech team for every four vehicles...but then there's the BA squads, and those are pretty high tech and will need dedicated repair teams as well.  So four tech teams for the 'mechs, twelve for the BA, and nine for the vehicles assuming that doesn't go up much, that brings me to at least 25 squads (175 Techs and AsTechs) in total.  The infantry can maintain their own equipment as astechs, they don't need any additional bodies...okay, maybe one Tech Team for the entire Foot Infantry company.  Not to mention some more Flatbed Trucks for them as well to haul tools and whatnot to the site of a battle to help salvage things.

Life is cheap, BattleMechs aren't.

Also something I hadn't added in - medical support.  While the infantry has their own medics per platoon, and can provide help, I'm still going to have enough personnel that I think I'll want a MASH setup somewhere and a dedicated medical team to handle more serious injuries.  At the moment I'm adding up about 700-750 personnel, about a modern infantry battalion in size.  How large is the medical staff attached to a battalion likely to be?  Hm...that's going to need another lance of vehicles, one HAPC carrying a six ton MASH and three standard APCs as armored ambulances.  Plus another tech team to handle that.

I thought about adding administrators and businesspeople to the mix, but they'd be off on Galatea negotiating contracts and doing businessythings, not deploying as part of the force, so they're extraneous to this whole organization.

Yeah, it's a lot to go through, but this is tickling my autism something fierce and I for one am really enjoying detailing out this force.  At this point I'm going to call the 3150 version the Wieczorek Combat Group.

I should still be able to fit everything into a Triumph-class DropShip with plenty of cargo to spare, but once I pound out support troops I can recalculate just what kind of supply and field endurance I have to work with.  I should make a note here too - my supply requirements are based on SO's 1 ton giving 20 man-days of life support based on the rule for parking everyone in bays instead of quarters.  I'm going to need to handle space transportation time as well, so say...packing enough supplies for 14 days of sustained heavy combat is going to be a maximum outlay of 30 tons per day (fudging high to get a round number), so that totals out to 420 tons of munitions.

As far as fuel and POL goes, BattleTech doesn't track that directly, but looking at the numbers for Support Vehicle fuel tanks I can get figures for at least something.  A 20 ton Tech D Support Vehicle gets 6667km per ton of fuel, a 45 ton half that.  So each 100km of travel costs a 20 ton vehicle 1/67th of a ton, or about 15kg per 100km.  Goblins would double that consumption.  So to travel 100km for my Goblin force, hauling its infantry on a two and a half hour road march, would cost me 400kg of gas (with some extra time idling and doing things Other Than Driving, are we there yet?)  My lighter vehicles...well, if I end up with fifty of them and assume the same amount of driving, that's 800kg of gas per day.  So 1.2 tons of fuel per day being used, I'll round that up to 1.5 tons per day to account for things like using generators to recharge powerpacks.  Say 30 days of in the field deployment is a requirement for 45 tons of fuel onboard.

That, at the moment, leaves me with about 2500 tons for life support and supplies, which 750 people (at a current estimate) consume 37.5 tons per day.  That's enough supplies for two months, one month of which would be estimated to be in the field.  So I can travel for a month in space on my own before I want a resupply from another DropShip, which is enough to get to a jump point, make a couple slow jumps, and get to a planet.  This also doesn't count foraging and clearing out every SpaceWalMart within 100km of my LZ...

That'll get refined, however, once I get some better numbers on my support troops.  I'll wait to go further until folks have had a chance to read the word vomit and help me nail things down.

EDIT: Headquarters & Headquarters Platoon.  One Flatbed Truck converted into a mobile HQ with three tons of communications equipment.  The other three tons holds a full foot platoon that's made up of command staff, clerks, and communications personnel.  Sufficient, you think, for this force?

EDIT 2: As far as Battle Armor goes, what do you guys recommend as far as Medium-weight suits on the market for Mercenary availability?  You've all got far more experience with them than I (I only ever played Elementals) so I'll look for recommendations.
« Last Edit: 01 November 2022, 23:54:24 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 02 November 2022, 02:11:10 »
I added up the total personnel based on Transport Bay numbers, assuming that any extraenous personnel (like the fact a 'Mech bay has two people listed) are loaders and cargo handlers, not technicians or the like.  They'd end up being extra DropShip crew as far as that goes.  This is a pretty big force, and it's heavily bulked up with the Battle Armor company and its support assets.  If I flat out delete that, and stick with a single infantry company supporting the 'Mechs, I can go with four Goblins and eight Tracked APCs for my security force.  I shrank the support elements slightly to account for far fewer troops, going with the new format added over a thousand tons of cargo space to my supply pool as well as cut my headcount nearly in half.  I still have the larger force listed out saved, but I think I'm going with the less infantry-heavy force shown below.

Below is my breakdown of units, plus their assigned tech teams.  Organizationally, the Transport Company would come under a Service Support Company, where its two platoons team up with the third platoon made from the Medical and Field Kitchen sections.  That gives me a slightly reinforced battalion overall instead of pushing nearly a regiment in size, which I'm much happier with.  I'll miss the Battle Armor, but c'est la guerre; this is a mobile fire base that comes with its own logistics, maintenance, and security.

Mech Lance:
4 Archer ARC-5S Customs (4 BattleMechs)
4 Tech Teams (4 Infantry Squads)

Foot Infantry Company
3 Foot Platoons (12 Infantry Squads)
4 Goblin AFVs (4 Light Vehicles)
8 Tracked APCs (8 Light Vehicles
4 Tech Teams (4 Infantry Squads)

Transport Company
8 Flatbed Trucks (8 Light Vehicles)
2 Tech Teams (2 Infantry Squads)

Medical Section
1 Flatbed MASH (1 Light Vehicle)
2 Wheeled APCs (2 Light Vehicles)
2 Medical Teams (2 Infantry Squads)

Field Kitchen Section
1 Flatbed Kitchen (1 Light Vehicle)
2 Kitchen Teams (2 Infantry Squads)

Maintenance Company
1 Heavy BattleMech Recovery Vehicle (1 Heavy Vehicle)
1 Goblin CE/RV (1 Light Vehicles)
1 Tech Team (1 Infantry Squad)

Headquarters & Headquarters Platoon
1 Flatbed HQ (1 Light Vehicle)
1 Command Staff Platoon (4 Infantry Squads)
1 Tech Team (1 Infantry Squad)

Total Transport Requirements:
4 BattleMech Bays (600 tons) (8 Personnel)
1 Heavy Vehicle Bay (100 tons) (8 Personnel)
26 Light Vehicle Bays (1,300 tons) (130 Personnel)
3 Infantry Platoons (15 tons) (81 Personnel)
1 Command Staff Platoon (5 tons) (28 Personnel)
1 Medical & Kitchen Platoon (5 tons) (28 Personnel)
3 Technical Platoons (15 tons) (81 Personnel)
Total Tonnage: 2,040 tons
Available Cargo Space: 3,673.5 tons
Total Bay Personnel: 364
Additional DropShip Crew: 9

Operationally, I'll go with a three week figure for combat ammunition.  The BattleMech force carries 22 tons of ammunition onboard, and I can't imagine the machine guns of the AFVs getting more than a fraction of a ton of ammunition expenditure each.  I'll round it up to 25 tons of "combat load" per day...which includes 220 artillery shells between four artillery pieces.  Double that for heavy expenditure, just in case things get active for quite some time, and I'm looking at a daily ordnance requirement of an even 50 tons.  That assumes everything is in a day-long pitched battle with one resupply.  Twenty-one days of those expenditures is 1,050 tons of munitions I'm carrying.

Fuel supply, well, I have a lot fewer vehicles this time around.  Five Goblins with a fuel consumption of 30kg per 100km each comes to 150kg per 100km.  A ten ton Tech D Support Vehicle gets 10kg per 100km, so my remaining 21 Flatbed Trucks and APCs come to 210 kg per 100km.  That adds up to 360kg per 100km traveled, which I'll round off to 400kg per 100km spread out among the various vehicles.  It's a nice round number to work with.

But wait, what about personal vehicles?  I'm going to need a motor pool of some kind, which can be transported as cargo.  Say, forty two-ton offroad-capable Small Support Vehicles with a one-ton cargo capacity.  Fuel efficiency is quite high in this regard, but still present because of the large number of vehicles.  According to MML, 2kg of fuel gets you 91km; I'll round that off to 2.5kg to get to 100km total.  That means my motor pool burns 0.1 tons of fuel per 100km driven, which combines with the heavy vehicles to be a total of half a ton per 100km, or 200km/ton.

That 200km is five hours worth of travel at 40km/h each day, so at a maximum of ten hours per day that's two tons of fuel daily required.  Time needs to be allocated for rest, maintenance, loading and unloading, and so on...and this is supposed to be a highest-use calculation.  100 tons of fuel carried aboard ship is thus enough for fifty days of heavy use, and probably quite a lot more than that at reasonable levels of fuel consumption.

That takes up 1150 (plus 80 more for light trucks) of my remaining 3,673.5 tons, leaving me with 2,443.5 for life support.  With 373 personnel aboard ship, and a life support requirement of 20 man-days per ton, I'm burning 18.65 tons per day of food, water, air, and whatnot.  That comes to just over 131 days of supply, or enough for four months and a little extra.  That...is a lot, but considering it could take months to reach a destination star system by JumpShip I won't have to constantly be resupplying in space.  And if I can be resupplied just before disembarking for the target world, that's a four month stay on planet before needing resupply.

Definitely an independent force, thank you again for recommending the Triumph.

So where have I gone wrong in my estimates?  Not just math on supplies, but am I undermanning anything in particular besides tech teams or does it seem suitable?  I had to get all this out of my head because I couldn't stop thinking over numbers and how big the Combat Group was getting, so here you go.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2022, 02:44:50 by ANS Kamas P81 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #65 on: 02 November 2022, 03:28:27 »
Field Kitchens are 3 tons, support 150 troops, and require 3 cooks (Tech Manual, page 217 refers).

Campaign Operations, pages 24-25 covers operating expenses like ammo and fuel, while pages 20-21 cover your support personnel requirements.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 02 November 2022, 05:03:11 »
With the larger force you are designing, is there anything for anti-air capability?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 02 November 2022, 13:06:43 »
Field Kitchens are 3 tons, support 150 troops, and require 3 cooks (Tech Manual, page 217 refers).

Okay, looking over things I'm going to need 3-4 Field Kitchens - see below.

Campaign Operations, pages 24-25 covers operating expenses like ammo and fuel, while pages 20-21 cover your support personnel requirements.

Oof, a full tech team per vehicle is required.  Okay, that'll enlarge things again.  I didn't have Campaign Operations until five minutes ago, so I'm reading through that now.  Thanks for the tip, I'll attack the force that way.  Sticking with the Mech lance, tank lance, two APC lances, and an infantry company for combat forces.  Not that it wasn't fun to work out the above stuff.

With the larger force you are designing, is there anything for anti-air capability?

The 'Mechs have decent capabilities there, with Clan LRMs and Thumper cannons for dealing with ASF (artillery flak rules), while the Goblins are a bit shorter ranged with large lasers.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 02 November 2022, 17:03:44 »
This large of a unit, for any time on a garrison assigned you want to send a decent lawyer with them to handle little things that pop up.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 02 November 2022, 18:02:30 »
Yeah, I'm going through the Force Construction rules in campaign operations.  So far I have 12 MechWarriors, 20 vehicle crew, and 84 infantry troops for a total of 108 combatants.  Seventeen tech teams for 119 maintenance and logistics folks, and 23 Administrators for a total of 250 personnel in total.  I decided to edit the force and run with standard ARC-5S Archers to start with, with the intent to convert them to artillery carriers in the future.  Dropshipwise, I ended up with a Danais based on the rolls; it's still enough to haul my force around with a decent amount of cargo supplies along with it.  I'll post more later after I finish up the unit.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #70 on: 02 November 2022, 18:15:57 »
Campaign Operations FTW!  :thumbsup:

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #71 on: 02 November 2022, 18:23:49 »
If there is still time--for whatever era--you might want to invest in a handful of exoskeletons for moving cargo and supplies around. Very useful and easier to store than a forklift (and lighter/more versatile, too).
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #72 on: 02 November 2022, 18:50:54 »
Certainly!  You can get exoskeletons capable of more than one-ton lift for less than a vehicle with a Lift Hoist.  :thumbsup:

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 02 November 2022, 21:28:19 »
Well, I started with 140 million C-bills for the unit, procurement costs brought me down to 77.65 million in cash reserves.  Monthly expenditures are 940,000 C-bills, about half of which is DropShip fuel.  Those things are bloody expensive...  3.76 tons of spare parts get used each month, again most of which is DropShip bits.

Exoskeletons are definitely going to be a thing, though I think they're abstracted into the Tech Teams as far as actually buying and operating them.  Same with light vehicles...though I think 100 tons of stored cargo space would be enough to account for 17 Exoskeletons (one per tech team) and say...a motor pool of 25 light vehicles.  That would cover their spare parts and fuel, as well.  Aren't there bonuses to reloading a unit in combat if you have an exoskeleton?

So I have 119 techs and 23 administrators, for 142 non-combat personnel.  That means an extra five platoon-sized Transport Bays aboard the DropShip, on top of the bays for the regular troops.  The two left over administrators can take the passenger bays aboard the ship; I have seven officers among my troops so they'll take the remaining passenger cabins.  The last passenger cabin can go to my head of technicians.  I want to add medics, but there's no provisions for doing so in Force Creation...ahah, Administrators count as medical staff.  So that solves that, and lets me put my unit doctor as one of the two Administrators that gets a passenger cabin.

Four 'Mech bays, twelve light Vehicle bays, and eight Infantry bays, plus the 100 tons for light vehicles and exoskeletons, leaves me with 753 tons of cargo.  A three-month mission between resupply is probably too high, but you never know when you'll be resupplied, nor do you know how long it'll take aboard a JumpShip to get somewhere.  Food supplies will take up some of the spare cargo space, monthly peacetime expenditures of food come to 200 man-days per ton according to Campaign Operations - with 254 people, that's 1.27 tons per day.  100 days for a nice round number brings me to 127 tons of food and water for my personnel, which leaves me with 626 tons left.  In peacetime, three months of Replaceable Spare Parts rounds to 12 tons, three months of fuel is 180 tons, and three months of ammunition rounds to 13 tons.  That's 205 tons, leaving me 521 tons for combat munitions and combat replacement equipment.

So that brings up combat loads and just how much ammunition expenditures happen.  I'm using bone stock ARC-5S Archers for 3150, so four tons of LRM ammo and two tons (!) of SSRM2, plus a ton of NARC beacons.  The Goblins and APCs only have MGs, which are notoriously deep in ammo and hard to go through, so I won't worry too much with those.  The Archers, though, that's my big wonder - how many ammo loads would a day in battle go through?  I want to have enough ammunition for a few weeks of actual fighting, hm...one combat load of seven tons of ammo per day, times four 'Mechs is 14 tons.  Round it off to 30 tons to account for the machine guns in the vehicles plus infantry expenditures, times 14 days brings me to 210 tons.  That leaves 311 tons left over.

I should install a five-ton MASH and a couple Field Kitchens in the DropShip, at least.  That brings me to 300 tons even for replacement parts, a lot of which is going to be spare armor plate for repairs.  I could go insane and detail out everything involved in the repair bay, but that leads to madness; I'll say it happens to be the part I need and go from there.  What I don't have is any engineers, which is a downside, but the 'Mechs have two hands and can help make their own fortifications.  They'll also be the ones towing Goblins (or each other) since I don't have any ARVs either.  Something to expand into.

I've been reading Tamar Rising, and the Alyina Mercantile League seems like a good place to go.  They hired a bunch of mercs from Galatea, so I can slot the WCG in with their forces.  I'm making the force commander a distant descendant of the original leader of Wieczorek's Archers, one who raised up a force with an eye to liberating Zoetermeer from the Hell's Horses since the Lyrans weren't going to do it, and decided that throwing in with whatever this new organization in former Falcon space is was a good idea.  It lets me fight the Horses, and is only one jump from Zoetermeer.  The AML also seems pretty interesting, a capitalist Clan culture (say that three times fast) seems to be a weird but enjoyable mix.

As far as factories go, there's Factory Zone 4 which is building at least Hierofalcons and Ion Sparrows.  Twycross has Trellshire Heavy Industries rebuilt by the Sea Foxes.  There's the opportunity to negotiate Clan tech upgrades, and I still plan on modifying the Archers into artillery machines.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #74 on: 03 November 2022, 03:23:31 »
Medical teams are 5 personnel and covered on page 191 of Campaign Operations (they were moved there from the OG StratOps).

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 03 November 2022, 04:09:33 »
Medical teams are 5 personnel and covered on page 191 of Campaign Operations (they were moved there from the OG StratOps).

Yeah, I saw that section and it mentions the DropShip is going to have its own medical team as well (with a crew of 4?) but the Administrators section mentions that that class of personnel counts doctors for the force.  I've got 23 Administrators so there's probably only one medical team in all that, combined with lawyers, contract negotiators, quartermaster, and other staff.

As far as backstory for the unit commander, I've got some ideas sketched out.  When Zoetermeer fell to the Falcons in 3052, the original Wieczorek's Archers were on the world and were decimated in the assault.  Several members of the unit escaped, retreating and following the family's upended wealth off the world.  They retreated to the world of ???*, establishing themselves once more as a noble family in the Lyran Commonwealth, and enduring the storm of the Jihad and the Republic era while rebuilding their fortune.  The family line dwindled, however, as the 3130s came and brought the failure of the HPGs; only one distant branch remained in the end.  This branch was descended from one of the Wieczoreks who had survived the assault on Zoetermeer.

A young Mirage grew up on her great-grandfather's knee, listening to his stories of service in the original Archers.  Enamored with his tales, she made a promise with herself to grow up to become a great MechWarrior and lead liberators to reclaim their family's ancestral homeworld of Zoetermeer.  It didn't take long to join the LCAF and go through officer and MechWarrior training, but the Lyran failures against the Wolves left her bitter and disillusioned with the Lyran leadership.  When a hovercar accident left her the sole inheritor of the family's fortune, she cashed her chips out and took her funds with her to Galatea to raise a mercenary force.  In honor of her ancestor, a sizeable portion of the funds went to the purchase of four ARC-5S Archers, forming the core of her new mercenary force around them.

* I was going to put her on Skye, and have her cashiered by the military for sympathies to the secessionists, but it's a Republic and Falcon world in that timeframe.  I'm too used to the 3025-3067 timeframe!  I'll decide on a world later.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 03 November 2022, 17:00:26 »
what about the Carlisle System or some planet near by, which also porvides where the Archers can be bought.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #77 on: 03 November 2022, 17:58:23 »
As long as 5 of your administrators are a Medical Team, you're good...  8)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 03 November 2022, 18:58:13 »
what about the Carlisle System or some planet near by, which also porvides where the Archers can be bought.

See this is why I love you guys, you know all the things I don't.  Retreating to Carlisle is perfect; the family can invest its fortunes into Bowie and their production lines, rebuilding their finances that way (as well as all the other ways a bunch of Lyran merchants can) to the point where Mirage inherits it all and goes mercenary.  That also gives me access to ARC-5Ws, which I can then have factory converted into the artillery carriers.

I've been having second thoughts about joining the AML - despite their clear need for troops and the big payouts they're offering, they're still *Clanners* even if they're making something new.  If Mirage grew up listening to the stories about the evil Jade Falcons, it strikes me as really weird to go fight for them.  Instead...I'm thinking the Tamar Pact.  The latter has a historical connection to the region, and Mirage would sympathize strongly with Governor-General Regis's attitude to the Lyran Commonwealth.  The fact that there's 'Mech production between Pandora and Arcturus also helps.  The Vesper Marches were a consideration, but Brewer's time as Archon helped Mirage's disaffection with the Lyran Commonwealth, so it's off to go fight for Tamar.

As long as 5 of your administrators are a Medical Team, you're good...  8)
Definitely.  Though I'm thinking of making a change to the force and converting the Goblins and APCs into another lance of BattleMechs, and keeping the infantry company as it is.  It'd reduce my headcount somewhat, and make for a smaller force to fit in the Danais while at the same time giving me a second lance of 'Mechs to support with the artillery.  I'll still have enough Administrators to cover a Medical Team along with the other duties, I think.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #79 on: 03 November 2022, 19:06:06 »
You know you can fit a Thumper on a Goblin, right?  8)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 03 November 2022, 21:13:19 »
You know you can fit a Thumper on a Goblin, right?  8)
I had not realized this.  And it's probably a better fit than Archers, but there's something to the aesthetic of hanging a big gun off a 'Mech's shoulder that just makes me smile.  I'm gonna commission Plog next month for art for it, because why not.

Though damn that x4 cost multiplier for custom IS units hurts quite a bit in force generation.  I suppose I'm back to one 'Mech lance and the vehicles instead, and just Mirage's unit being customized by the Bowie factory.  The tank and infantry company she'd end up hiring through Galatea, perhaps they were part of a planetary militia that got taken over by the Falcons in the desant, and managed to evacuate with their equipment.  Say they were on a training mission away from their parent force, and managed to not get caught in the invasion battle and escaped the world that way.  It ties them together with a neat cohesive story, plus a reason to sign on with Mirage's 'Mech lance - revenge on the Falcons.

Code: [Select]
Fire Lance
ARC-5W Archer "Mirage" Regular
ARC-5W Archer Veteran
ARC-5W Archer Veteran
ARC-5W Archer Regular
Medium Battle Lance
Goblin ISV Standard Elite
Goblin ISV Standard Veteran
Goblin ISV Standard Green
Medium Battle Lance
Goblin ISV Standard Regular
Medium Battle Lance
Infantry Company
Heavy Infantry Platoon Veteran
Heavy Infantry Platoon Regular
Heavy Infantry Platoon Green

EDIT: The foot infantry platoon I was going to custom make but the costs for it become too much to bear, so I went with TRO 3085's Heavy Infantry under the Lyran section; they're motorized but only at 1.5 tons per squad.  I did upgrade their rides, rolling decently well for the experience levels.  I decided to go with the fusion-powered LPL carrying Goblin; it's got a larger infantry bay so I can pack two squads (or one squad and 1.5 tons of cargo onboard) each.  Armored ammunition transports for the unit!  Plus a nest of Large Pulse Lasers in case anyone gets frisky about my tanks.

I still end up with five platoons worth of Techs and Administrators, as far as carrying folks in the Danai.  The vehicle bays don't change, since Goblin ISVs are still light vehicles.  There's four extra personnel left over, I could just sit them in passenger cabins instead of making another infantry bay for them.  Cargo calculations shift slightly, I need 134 tons of food and supplies instead of 127 tons for 100 days, the rest is all the same as before.

I think I'm done, at this point...at least as far as Battletech's construction rules go.  Thanks for all the advice, everyone!  Kampfgruppe Wieczorek is ready for business.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2022, 23:04:20 by ANS Kamas P81 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #81 on: 04 November 2022, 03:20:28 »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 04 November 2022, 03:33:40 »
Some wicked stuff in there, and things that needed to be.  The Goblin really is a capable little machine, and underrated in Battletech.  I posted some more Gobs over in the Vehicles board, give them a look if you have time.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #83 on: 04 November 2022, 17:02:15 »
Will do, good sir!  :thumbsup:

I just have to get through the rest of the threads I've posted in first...  8)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 04 November 2022, 17:27:39 »
I thought about things and decided not to go with the custom ARC-5W, going with bone stock models.  That lets me have four of them in the BattleMech lance, a 14-tank company with a command element, and three platoons of infantry, with a lot of cash left over.  I also took another look at the DropShip rules and realized I was doing it wrong, I got lucky and finally got a Veteran-quality Union DropShip to work with.  That makes a much better command post and transport than a Danais. 

Code: [Select]
Fire Lance
ARC-5W Archer Regular
ARC-5W Archer Veteran
ARC-5W Archer Veteran
ARC-5W Archer Elite

Medium Battle Lance

Medium Battle Lance

Medium Battle Lance

Medium Battle Lance

Infantry Platoon
Heavy Infantry Squad Veteran

Infantry Platoon
Heavy Infantry Squad Regular

Infantry Platoon
Heavy Infantry Squad Green

The idea is to use the tank force as the primary combat force, operating with the support of infantry directly.
 That leaves the 'Mechs as the kampfstaffel force to move forward and take advantage of a weakness, or reinforce a strong point that's under attack.  They bring heavy firepower that the tanks lack, and even without jump jets (for the moment) have better general mobility than the tracked vehicles or even the Motorized infantry units.  I'm mixed, though, as to the overall force commander - I'm still wanting to make my 'Mech lance commander the overall battalion commander, and the command element of the tanks being only for the tank company.  I still intend to eventually convert the Archers into an artillery lance with Thumpers, but that'll be a future upgrade rather than something done at force formation.  They'll still have two LRM10s, two SRM4s, and two ERMLs (except for Mirage's) alongside the big gun, so while it's not skullbusting firepower it's still respectable.

The Green tank force commander made me scratch my head, but I like it - the experienced unit had just gotten a new commander after their old company CO got promoted.  The new captain was promoted quickly, perhaps too quickly for his skill at his job, and so he's trying to learn how to be a tank force commander at the same time he's taking his unit mercenary.  The Elite-rated XO was entirely on the dice, and at least can help backstop any bad decisions the tank commander (i.e. me) can think up.

I shared the unit with Moonsword, and he advised not tangling with Clan forces if at all possible, and taking security/training contracts as that'd be the best use for this unit.  How would you guys use this force, before and after converting the Archers to Thumper carriers?  The history of the unit is one that has a hate on for the Falcons, and a desire to see the Tamar Pact freed and returned to the Lyran Commonwealth - or else going independent, since the Lyrans clearly can't defend their own homeland.  That's going to put them (and me) wanting to go fight some Clanners.  Taking their stuff as salvage, well, if the 21st Centauri Lancers can get away with it I can too.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2022, 18:57:06 by ANS Kamas P81 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #85 on: 04 November 2022, 18:49:01 »
The stock 5Ws really make me wonder who's really in charge here.  I'd expect the CO at least to have a custom variant...  ^-^

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 04 November 2022, 18:56:37 »
The stock 5Ws really make me wonder who's really in charge here.  I'd expect the CO at least to have a custom variant...  ^-^

I tried that; a Custom variant has a x4 multiplier for IS tech - it turned a 13 million C-bill Archer into a 55 million C-bill budgetbuster!  The plan is to customize the 'Mechs in the field, rather than start their deployment with them.  Eventually the CO's ride will have a couple tons of Communications Equipment onboard, while the rest of the 'Mechs mount two ERMLs there.  Going with stock rides gives me 45.7 million C-bills remaining, before I buy replacement ammunition and armor, and makes for a fine budget for sourcing parts for upgrades.

EDIT: As it is, my new headcount is 305.  That means I need three Field Kitchens and a MASH.  I can do that with Flatbed Trucks fairly inexpensively, but that means adding four more tech teams and a couple more administrators to the unit, bringing my total headcount to 336 for the battalion.  Out of my 31 administrators, I'll say 10 are doctors and nurses, so I'll need a 4.5 ton MASH for two operating theaters; that and the three Field Kitchens can be mounted to the trucks as I need them.  No custom vehicle here, just cargo!

I'm also buying 20 Pit Bull 3-ton trucks as "supplies" - they each carry 1373kg, so I have at least some cargo lift above and beyond putting my Goblins to work as Stoffschleppers.  Each of the 22 vehicle and 'Mech tech teams also gets a Heavyhauler exosuit.  Obviously I'm not set up with a big logistics base at this point, so maybe Moonsword's suggestion of site security and protecting a fixed area is going to be more weighty.  The troubling part is that I've only got 639.5 tons of cargo space aboard my DropShip; three months of fuel, training ammo, and food takes up 235.3 tons of that.  The trucks and exosuits take up 69 more tons, and 13.5 tons goes to the MASH and field kitchens.  That's half my cargo space already, and I have a lot of missiles still to pack in there...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #87 on: 04 November 2022, 19:12:45 »
Asteroid/comet harvesting gear shouldn't be TOO heavy...  ^-^

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 04 November 2022, 19:49:49 »
Can't find that in Tech Manual, I'm afraid.  I have to save up for TacOps next month, sigh.  It sucks living on fixed income.

Hm...as it is, I've got barely enough tonnage for three reloads for everything.  If I move the Flatbeds to cargo space instead of their own vehicle bay, that saves me quite a bit of tonnage...enough to carry seven full combat loads of missiles for my Archers and Goblins.  I'll divvy that up between useful things like tear gas SRMs, mine clearance LRMs, Thunder...and of course plenty of Narc-homing missiles for everyone.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2022, 20:30:26 by ANS Kamas P81 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #89 on: 04 November 2022, 20:17:22 »
Yeah, that tech isn't there either, sorry.  It's only tech that SHOULD exist...  :-\