Author Topic: Industrial Equipment which should exist (in BattleTech), but doesn't  (Read 10181 times)

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
  • Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
    • Message me on Telegram
This is a discussion thread for a topic I have a personal interest in, and hopefully I'm not the only one.
Basically, I'm trying to design custom IndustrialMechs and Support Vehicles for a fan TRO covering civilian stuff (I'm calling it XTRO: Heavy Industry), but my creativity has hit a brick wall because I find myself limited by what's actually available in BattleTech. My goal with this thread is to expand the catalog of equipment to choose from, and for that I need your help.

So if you have ideas for something that should exist in BattleTech, but doesn't, and would be suitable for a non-military application... Please share it!

(So far the most fleshed out thing I have right now is a mech-sized leafblower/snowblower, but I can't take credit for it. Somebody else did all of the specs and fluff.)
« Last Edit: 16 February 2023, 12:16:45 by Lycanphoenix »

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Industrial Equipment which should exist (in BattleTech), but doesn't
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2023, 14:57:12 »
There are a couple technical Readouts that have some civilian Mechs:
TRO: Vehicle Annex
TRO: Vehicle Annex (Revised Edition)

You have Harvesters, Herders, Miners, Salvagers, security mechs, plus vehicles of all sorts.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2023, 15:09:23 »
I'm already aware of those. You could say I'm trying to carry on their legacy~
By the way, is somebody who pilots an IndustrialMech potentially a "MechLaborer"?

But yeah, if there's any industrial equipment you can think of which BattleTech currently lacks, do share!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2023, 16:08:52 »
Operators are the guys who operate heavy equipment. I called my friends pilots the other day, and both of them (operators) didn’t like it so much. I think operator is the way to go.

I think the lift hoist can cover alot of stuff.

I think they cover pretty well a lot of the heavy industry stuff. There aren’t many ‘uptown’ mechs.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2023, 16:23:23 »
Well, I mean... I guess I should just go ahead and share some specs for equipment that have been decided on so far. But that will need to wait until I get home.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2023, 18:43:02 »
Windblower, aka ThAC (ThermoAcoustic Cannon)... essentially an upsized leafblower. Comes in four sizes... UL (Ultralight), Small, Medium, and Large. When I asked somebody for suggestions on brand names, they responded by writing almost a whole page worth of lore.
I think you will be wanting products by autocannon or turbine manufacturers.  Ceres Metals Industries happens to produce both, as does General Motors and Quikscell... so my pitch would be the "CMI Mucalinda 7" available in Liao space, and the "GM Tempesterii ThAC" (THermo-Accoustic Cannon) sold across the Inner Sphere.  The Draconis Combine use smaller, more precise units constructed by Quikscell Company on Alshain, called the "Zefa 337".  The Lyran Commonwealth has access to the "THLMS Fimbulvetr" manufactured on Tharkad, a collaboration between TharHes and Lockheed.

The fun thing about the GM Tempesterri is that it can by close its high-bypass intakes and turn into a heat projecting cannon that as an optional rule does 5 points of damage to armoured units or 10 points of damage to infantry within 3 hexes of the direction of attack.

It's commonly known that Quikscell's designs were originally developed on Pandora, prior to the Clan invasion.  During their rapid relocation during the early part of the invasion, the technical team relocated to Tharkad, which is what gave the Lyrans the head start on developing their own.  It was only the efforts of the Grey Death Legion which allowed them to evacuate in time.  Likewise, it was recovered plans from Quikscell that allowed the Jade Falcons to establish the Clan version.  It is because of this that the Fimbulvetr and Zefa are superficially similar... except the Fimbulveter is much bigger.

Quikscell actually offered the GDL downscaled versions of the Zefa for use with their scout infantry, but they were found to be insufficiently powerful for the Legion's applications.  It's reported that Grayson Carlyle's response to a demonstration of the Zefa was "This might be useful for clearing the Archon's driveway, but it won't do a lick of good on Glengarry."
Code: [Select]
There are four classes of ThAC: ultralight, small, medium and heavy.  Stats as follows:
Class    Wt     Ht     S    M    L   Ct
UL*     0.25     1     1    2    3    1
S       0.5      2     1    2    4    1
M       1        3     2    4    6    1
H       2        4     2    4    7    2
Mountable by mechs or vehicles only, except for the *UL which can be mounted by armoured infantry.
The Lyrans, of course, tried to build an assault class ThAC, but found that the pressure waves became unstable and gave up after destroying several prototypes and all the windows in the surrounding area.

Branding:
UL - Zefa GD
S - Zefa 337, CMI Mucalinda 7
M - GM Tempesterii ThAC
H - THLMS Fimbulvetr

You can thank a cat named Kell for this fluff and for these stats. I'll post stats for my Mining Laser in a little while.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2023, 19:02:44 by Lycanphoenix »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2023, 19:34:24 »
An interesting idea at least... I look forward to reading more...  8)

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2023, 22:41:59 »
I'd think that with this project you'd be finding functions first, the having of the equipment which don't have specifications. What equipment are you short on stats for? A garbage truck?
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2023, 23:50:15 »
Oooh, good idea; we need specs for the on-board trash compactor.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2023, 01:14:50 »
So one of the big bugbears I have is that we dont have a 'grader'.  With the existing industrial equipment, we can knock down buildings and trees, and a bull dozer can make rubble terrain able to be traversed as clear, but we dont have anything that can turn rough and rubble terrain into clear terrain.  Like, if you are clearing a forest and make a bunch of rough terrain, the next step is to turn the rough terrain to clear terrain.  So a grader that chews up the rough terrain and smooths it out is missing.

Also, we have lots of rock cutters and drills, but they dont actually dig a hole.  There is an advanced terrain destruction rule about 200 damage lowers the terrain by 1 level after you clear trees, but this kinda in unsatisfying in that the dirt just disappears, and there isnt any difference between dirt and rock.  So terrain rules that make use of the rock cutter and drill would be nice.

We also dont have a scoop.  We have a dumper, which the scoop would put dirt into when digging / lowering a level, but no tool to actually just move the ground in the first place.

Finally, we have nothing that makes a road.  Yes, making a road takes time, but not THAT much time, and the ability to make a road through the forest to allow service vehicles through is a big deal.  Heck in ww2 they would build train tracks as they moved, so we know it is done.  Plus, you gotta have the ability to make an airfield, that comes up a whole bunch.  Airdropping some industrial mechs, and later being able to land at a makeshift air base is a big deal.

This has come up when doing more narrative campaigns.  Moving equipment through a forest to attack X location, and the wheeled units are all stuck immediately cause there is no grader.  A level 2 elevation change stops the whole column forever unless you find the obscure 'destroy a level' rule in tac ops, when there should be industrial equipment that does that (cause there is after all).

As for actual units, my favorite is 'Handy'.  Handy is a 10 ton ultralight or 20 ton light industrial mech.  All it has are hands, and maybe some quality of life stuff like searchlights and such.  Many tasks involving loading and unloading, and it takes a ground team 3 rounds to load or unload something (30 seconds aint bad by the way) but Handy can pick up 1 (ultra light) or 2 (light mech) ton loads instantly, and can move them crazy fast.  A normal unit with any kind of load is encumbered but within 10% of the tonnage a mech suffers no agility loss.  You can also uproot trees with a mech, which is awesome for a lot of applications.  Plus, 1 Handy can load heavier things like a full ground team.  So you could have a 28 man infantry help load up a lift hoist with 70 tons of cargo, or you could have a single 'Handy' do the same task in the same time.  Add in that you can environmentally seal 'Handy' and you have a really versatile unit.  The ability to pick up a girder and hold it in place at almost any angle due to the agility of a mech would really speed up a lot of construction time.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2023, 08:44:17 »
There is a backhoe, which is a scoop.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2023, 09:29:55 »
A backhoe isn't as efficient as a purpose-built shovel when doing a shovel's job, kinda like how a(n) [organ] isn't as efficient as a(n) [other organ] when doing said [other organ]'s job.

Anyways, let's get to work. We have rules to write.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2023, 09:56:36 by Lycanphoenix »

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2023, 12:20:12 »
A backhoe isn't as efficient as a purpose-built shovel when doing a shovel's job, kinda like how a(n) [organ] isn't as efficient as a(n) [other organ] when doing said [other organ]'s job.

Anyways, let's get to work. We have rules to write.

It is, that’s why you don’t see excavators with flat shovels digging trenches.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2023, 13:02:43 »
Er... Okay, you have a point. I kinda just assumed from the name that a backhoe was for tilling. My bad.
Still have some rules to write for the other tools though.

Also, a couple quickies I made, one way back in the olden days and the other just this morning...
Fire Control Limiter: A modification to missile launchers which restrict them to firing only a single missile at a time. Often installed on Demolition 'mechs equipped with concussive SRMs, or on Firefighting 'mechs equipped with fire-extinguishing LRMs. If one missile launcher on a unit posseses a Fire Control Limiter, then all missile launchers of that type must also possess one.
IndustrialMech Breathalyzer: A cheap cockpit modification. Negligible weight cost and doesn't occupy critical space, but does raise an IndustrialMech's Safety Value and adds about 10 C-Bills to the cockpit cost for each operator present. IndustrialMech dual cockpits, such as on tripods or industrial quadvees, require two breathalyzers. The breathalyzer system does nothing in gameplay.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2023, 13:11:49 by Lycanphoenix »

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2023, 14:24:00 »
Er... Okay, you have a point. I kinda just assumed from the name that a backhoe was for tilling. My bad.
Still have some rules to write for the other tools though.

Also, a couple quickies I made, one way back in the olden days and the other just this morning...
Fire Control Limiter: A modification to missile launchers which restrict them to firing only a single missile at a time. Often installed on Demolition 'mechs equipped with concussive SRMs, or on Firefighting 'mechs equipped with fire-extinguishing LRMs. If one missile launcher on a unit posseses a Fire Control Limiter, then all missile launchers of that type must also possess one.
IndustrialMech Breathalyzer: A cheap cockpit modification. Negligible weight cost and doesn't occupy critical space, but does raise an IndustrialMech's Safety Value and adds about 10 C-Bills to the cockpit cost for each operator present. IndustrialMech dual cockpits, such as on tripods or industrial quadvees, require two breathalyzers. The breathalyzer system does nothing in gameplay.

I like these.

Agree with everything mentioned, especially heavy bladed equipment and graders to make roads and airfields.

Also need SUPERHEAVY capable trucks: An 70-80-ton tractor that's almost all engine that can then haul a trailer-mounted Atlas 5/8-6/9.  Recovery assets have to keep up with the battle; more than that, armies use heavy-lift to move a LOT of artillery.  Right now, SRM/LRM carriers can't keep up with the larger battle.  Not a problem in Battletech, but in the grand scheme of things, it is.

These trucks would also serve civilian double-duty by hauling everything you're going to build: if you're waiting on a 1/2 bulldozer to arrive to build the airfield, you're gonna wait FOREVER. ;-) hahaha

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2023, 15:45:38 »
By the way, my XTRO: Heavy Industry project is actually the parent of my Screw-Propelled Vehicles (SPV) project, if you want to check that out as well.

Sorry about the delays getting the Mining Laser specs posted. Been busy with training for my new job.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2023, 19:07:43 »
I like these.

Agree with everything mentioned, especially heavy bladed equipment and graders to make roads and airfields.

Also need SUPERHEAVY capable trucks: An 70-80-ton tractor that's almost all engine that can then haul a trailer-mounted Atlas 5/8-6/9.  Recovery assets have to keep up with the battle; more than that, armies use heavy-lift to move a LOT of artillery.  Right now, SRM/LRM carriers can't keep up with the larger battle.  Not a problem in Battletech, but in the grand scheme of things, it is.

These trucks would also serve civilian double-duty by hauling everything you're going to build: if you're waiting on a 1/2 bulldozer to arrive to build the airfield, you're gonna wait FOREVER. ;-) hahaha
I think you're missing the power of Lift Hoists...  ^-^

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2023, 14:04:31 »
Who says the superheavy hauling trucks can't have lift hoists on-board?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2023, 14:34:56 »
Nobody at all, but you can drag an Atlas at 8/12 with a little imagination...  ^-^

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2023, 15:43:47 »
Who says the superheavy hauling trucks can't have lift hoists on-board?

They should, to drag non-mobile equipment on board.

now, dragging it BEHIND for thirty-kays?  well, "that's a TECHNIQUE," to use the Army expression...  ;) ;D ;D

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2023, 19:40:48 »
DOUBLE FEATURE!

-----------------------

“Alright, Stevens, we just finished checking the survey team's samples. Mass spectrometer shows greater than sixty percent germanium by weight. Warm up those lasers and get her cracked open.” The mechlaborer flips a few switches in the vacuum-sealed cockpit, and listens to the hum as the single bulky mining laser on the machine's shoulder comes to life. It's an ugly thing, more tool than weapon, with a set of bulky heat sinks protruding along its entire length, and a thick cable routed off its back to the mech's generator. A red dot, projected by a cheap visible-light laser clamped to the mining tool's barrel, appears on the comet's surface. It is quickly drowned out by the infrared glow as Stevens pulls the trigger, dumping hundreds of megajoules of heat into the ice and bringing the heatsink vanes to a dull glow. In less than a second, it bursts, propelling a boulder several meters across free of the surface, ready to be collected and melted down.
— Story by Kat Fennec

Mining Laser: For extracting valuable resources from stellar bodies, such as mineral-rich asteroids and digermane-filled comets (H₆Ge₂, or D₆Ge₂ for its deuterated counterpart). Uses wider optics than on a combat laser, and operates primarily in the Infrared or Terahertz spectra.

Tech: Inner Sphere
Damage: 1 (plus 2 heat)
Heat: 4
Range: 3/5/7 (vacuum), 1/2/3 (in-atmosphere)
Minimum Range: None
Mass: 0.75 Tons
+2 to-hit penalty when trying to use as a weapon.

Tech: Clan
Damage: 2 (plus 3 heat)
Heat: 4
Range: 4/7/10 (vacuum), 1/3/5 (in-atmosphere)
Minimum Range: None
Mass: 0.75 Tons
+2 to-hit penalty when trying to use as a weapon.

-----------------------

Civilian Gyro: (being moved to its own thread)
Smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a military-grade CMG (control moment gyroscope), civilian gyros need to spin much faster to get their job done. And even then, they tend to be a little underpowered for their corresponding engine, which leads to trickier piloting.

Combined with less robust construction, the higher angular velocity makes them incredibly delicate; even minimal damage can render them inoperable.

Nonetheless, their reduced weight and bulk, and reduced cost, are greatly appreciated by the commercial sector.

• Critical Spaces: 2
• Tonnage: Engine Rating / 200, rounding up in quarter-ton increments.
• Destroyed after a single critical hit.
• Running and difficult terrain each impose a +1 target modifier on piloting rolls. These penalties stack.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2023, 14:09:19 by Lycanphoenix »

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2023, 15:02:08 »
I can tell that you're all not quite impressed... Don't worry, my next thing will be better.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer