Author Topic: Child Board: Planets?  (Read 4565 times)

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
  • A great starter adventure.
Child Board: Planets?
« on: 13 November 2013, 01:24:47 »
As a GM for an AToW campaign I've been wondering where on these forums to exchange planetary maps and other system design information.   It would seem appropriate to place this under Fan Designs & Rules, but there is no "Planets" category.  With the new rules in AToWC and the IO beta there are construction guidelines for systems, so a planet can be built similar to 'mechs or other equipment.  But, by the board's instructions, it seems that the general area is to be used for discussion of items that are posted to the various sub-forums.  So there doesn't seem to be a spot for posting designs that are not combat vehicles or battle armor.  Planetary information could be categorized under Fan Fiction, but that doesn't seem to be a good fit either.

So, what would everyone think about adding a Planets sub-board to the Fan Designs & Rules section?  Am I reading the board rules too narrowly, is a new child board even needed for this design category?  Also, would there even be enough information to populate a new board.  For example I have a guidebook to Rushaven 3010 that I'd like to put up, is anyone else holding on to planetary information they'd like to post?

Also, is there is more appropriate place to exchange fannon planetary information (i.e. maps, local personalities, and militia composition, etc.) than these forums?  No need to bring in un-wanted junk.

(Thanks to the moderator who moved this to the proper forum!)
« Last Edit: 13 November 2013, 11:54:45 by bytedruid »
Hat tips to Slightlylyons who fixed aerotech in one post and to Daryk for organized cool stuff.

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
Re: Child Board: Planets?
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2013, 06:19:18 »
I am more in need of info/help than can offer but I would love such section. I also run a campaign and try to sort out how to put together all types of maps in BT so they can be used for all purposes - from RPG to planetary assault.

I saw some really great fanfic planetary projects and would love to be able to browse them in one place. Also, a general criteria for content organization, map layout and useful tools that would speed up the map-making process would be useful. There are also people on this forum who have a great deal of knowledge about stars and planets and I would like to be able to ask them question in such place

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2013, 11:53:22 »
I can't and won't comment on the specific idea of implementing a new board but hopefully I can shed a little more light on where these discussions should go currently.

Planets are not really regarded as designs or custom rules per se and belong under Fan Fiction.  Discussions of cosmology and planetary science that aren't really associated with the rules belong under Off Topic.  If you're curious about the rules vs. the science, I'd put that in Strategic Games or the Time of War board, or possibly General Discussion.  If you're analyzing what the rules output (for instance, random table biases or the like), that's also appropriate for those areas.

Please note that if we think it's not really BT related, the mods can and will move the thread per Rule 5, and we'll move fan rules or creations into the appropriate spots as well.*

The general Fan Designs and Rules board can be used for discussions of design theory but broad theory discussions can also take place in the Ground Combat or Aerospace Combat areas.  We're concerned with keeping specific designs and rules proposals in their box, not broad topics.  That general board is also where we put fan rules proposals.

*: Looking at that again, I realize that looks perhaps just a bit ominous.  Having the mods move something because we think you put it in the wrong place is just us keeping things tidy.  We usually send a note to anyone in the thread as a courtesy so they know where the thread went, not because we're dropping the hammer on someone.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2013, 12:42:48 by Moonsword »

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2013, 12:53:00 »
There are also people on this forum who have a great deal of knowledge about stars and planets and I would like to be able to ask them question in such place

That would be handy for me as well.  But it looks like we have a answer on where to put such posts for now from Moonsword:

Planets are not really regarded as designs or custom rules per se and belong under Fan Fiction.

How about we just adopt a convention. 

One planetary system / author / thread.  And we help people find them with the following subject format:

"System:  <System-Name> - <Helpful time/space location information> - <cannon compatibility>".

For example, my Rushaven guide book doesn't conflict with cannon material with the exception that I took the HPG off of the planet because I preferred the isolating effect this has on my players.  I'm not sure what a good ranking system would be for cannon compatibility, so how about:
  • Compat 5 - Perfect Match in no way conflicts with any known cannon material
  • Compat 4 - Some minor changes, such as no HPG, population size slightly changed.
  • Compat 3 - More substantial changes, for ex: not the same star type as that listed in cannon sources
  • Compat 2 - ex: Surface map completely different from cannon sources, not owned by the correct faction at the correct time.  Tech levels not near those expected for the region, etc.
  • Compat 1 - This place feels BattleTech'ish, but that's about it.
  • Compat 0 - Has intelligent aliens with warp drive living on floating mountains who maintain order with psionic powers.

Here some examples using content that I have laying around:

System: Rushaven - Outworlds Alliance, 3010 - Compat 4
System: Antallos - Independent, 3056 - Compat 5

To help out new forum members, abbreviations for faction names are to be avoided, and authors should keep all resource links in the first post, updating as needed.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2013, 12:56:17 by bytedruid »
Hat tips to Slightlylyons who fixed aerotech in one post and to Daryk for organized cool stuff.

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2013, 13:28:12 »
I can stick to that.

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2013, 23:21:13 »
Hoooo boy, this should be fun  :D :D
My mad-fanon-generator will be spooling up for this weekend.
*God Bless Regulus.
*A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
* "Want someone out of a building for sure? Fire a magnesium parachute flare through the window. He’ll leave."

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2013, 15:37:52 »
Hoooo boy, this should be fun  :D :D
My mad-fanon-generator will be spooling up for this weekend.

Well, I've put up the announcement thread and my first planetary system thread over in the Fan Fiction Board, so spin on McDuff!

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2013, 00:45:22 »
To: Moderators Moonsword and Charlie Tango

In this thread:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,34875.0.html
wolfgar and I are in a disagreement about where fannon planet designs should go.  The root of the issue is that we received different advice on different occasions about where to post such information.  Charlie Tango stated that planets should go in Fan Designs and Moonsword says in fan fiction.  I'm not particular to either location but I would like it if planetary system designs and their corresponding fluff descriptions could be found on the same board.

Could you reply and let us know where the following threads should live?

Fan world building
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,30699.0.html

System: Rushaven - Outworlds Alliance, 3010 - Compat 4
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,34879.0.html

System: Posting planetary systems, a convention

Thanks!

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2013, 11:53:33 »
Either works, but Fan Designs is where I'd go if you want a consistent location. We do have planet/system creation rules nowadays.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2013, 12:02:59 »
Thanks!

How do I go about getting my threads:

and
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,34879.0.html

moved to the Fan Designs & Rules board?

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2013, 12:11:49 »
Done.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Register