Poll

The unit is among the Unseen. A sign says "Retcon, Reselect, or Reseen?" What do you choose?

Retcon (Change the unit's image and say "it always looked like that".)
113 (17.9%)
Reselect (Pick another non-Unseen unit appropriate to the era.)
46 (7.3%)
Reseen (Select the Reseen version, and just pretend it's the original Unseen.)
474 (74.9%)

Total Members Voted: 633

Voting closed: 30 June 2011, 22:21:21

Author Topic: Sorry; that Unit you selected is Unseen. Retcon, Reseen, or Reselect?  (Read 62459 times)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Reseen, I'd rather have the option than not have the option.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
Retcon:

What I would like to see is a re-imagining similar to the Wolverine II treatment. An image which is close enough to the original to bear resemblance but not so close to get Harmony Gold's knickers in a wad.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
Its been since 95 since I last played.  mainly because the group got dysfunctional and then I moved away 3 years later.  I would just do a reseen even though I prefer some of the unseens to what they look like now.  But I want to enjoy this game again I had fun with it before and plan on running a campaign in the near future.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Humansquish

• Master Sergeant
I voted reseen. Like others have said we use the unseen if we have them, then move on to reseen, and then whatever looks closest. Of course wasn't the whole purpose of making the reseen so people can use the varients for the unseen if they didn't have them?
"Oh no. They've made FASAfizzicks in reality. We're doomed."-Dread Moores

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
I'd rather swap-out for a similar comtemporary unit, especially one of the SL-era rebuilds.

I like my Unseens, I don't care where the images comes from, they're iconic and while I am willing to accept that a particular model might be built differently from factory to factory, alot of reseens just look way too off, especially the rediculous reseen Marauder.

Rule of cool is in effect for me; the Unseen marauder just LOOKS alot cooler than the delicate-looking, daddy-long-legs farce that is the reseen model.

HOWEVER...if we are considering a canon RUS program (does that already exist? I just roll with what I have in my collection, the re-rolls bug me) this kind of an option would be very useful to those players who use RUS tables. ditto a make your own option
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
The option my group goes with is not on there, so I picked the one closest, but:
We go with "Proxy it. The mini is just a marker, anyway." I mean, I have used a Hammerhands,
an Orion,and a Crusader in the last few months to represent unseen Warhammers
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
Reseen always.  this has to do with a story I have alluded to in the past, where I was JUST getting back into playing battletech, and bought as one of my first miniatures in a while a Project Phoenix Rifleman.  The only guy in my college town who wanted to play insisted on a succession wars campaign, and when I plopped my Rifleman down (in a lance with a Centurion and two whitworths) he said that CAV was not in the right scale.  when I told him that was a NEW Rifleman and showed him a copy of Project Phoenix he went into a tizzy and threw my mini across the game room, breaking it.

I swore I would never be like that guy, and from then on I advocated for the Project Phoenix Machines.

I am surprised btw that a lot of people who responded did not read the first post before answering.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2011, 13:02:25 by JPArbiter »
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

lobsterback

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
 "Reseen (Select the Reseen version, and just pretend it's the original Unseen.) "

Most of my games are "demo games".   I want to be able to point a new player to the Battletech section of the local game store, not ebay if they want the same sort of mini.
Glenn"Lobsterback" Hopkins
Catalyst Demo Team #13

sketchesofpayne

• Sergeant
  • Real heroes are never made public.
I'm fine with the reseen models.  I guess I'm not so attached to the old Macross and Dougram designs.  You show me the reseen Valkyrie and say 'hencetoforth the Valkyrie has always looked like this,' I just say, 'okay.'

I guess it's because my real introduction to Battletech was the Mechwarrior 2 and Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries games.  Neither of which have any unseen in them.  So I guess in my eyes the Timberwolf (Mad Cat) and Atlas are more iconic of Battletech than the Marauder or Warhammer.
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Retcon retcon retcon.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
I prefer the unseen.  As a Catalyst Agent, I use Phoenix or something else close (Hammerhands or a Wammy IIC both make great Warhammer) on the table.

If I was looking for a permanent solution, I would say to do something like the Shadow Hawk 1R, which if it ever gets approved for production by IWM will make a great new Shadow Hawk mini.  Here's hoping it gets approved...
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Hawk

• Retired AF
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire
I'd take a Reseen is I had too, but I also have several of the Unseen minis, so I would use those if at all possible. I hate RetConning anything, and I want what I got (or picked), so no go on the Replacement angle.
Is the height greater than the distance from yourself?
Accidental Falls From Above are merely improvised clubs wielded by gravity.

USAF, Retired

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
Given that the choice to vote, or not then the only one that makes any sence to me is the substitution on an unseen by a reseen miniature. However, I would in preference use a Clan 2C Marauder rather than the reseen Inner Sphere models, because to me it captures the spirit if the original more than the reseen does. OTOH the reseen Battlemaster is perfectly nice in its own right.

I suppose what I dislike are reseen that make good looking designs ugly, and some of the reseen IMNSHO are things only their mother could love. YMMV.
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
I only have about 40 minis - counting two different box sets' plastic minis.  So when we want to use a 'mech not in the selection, we just pick a reasonable replacement mini.  For example: whatever the biggest, baddest 'mech in the enemy force is will inevitably be represented by a red painted plastic Atlas.  And a plastic Mad Cat can standin for any bird-legged 'mech with two weapon arms.
Then I have a buddy who will use his 'lucky' Locust even if there is a actual metal mini for his unit.  Even if he's fielding a Corsair aerospace fighter or a Hanse MBT.
So, basically Reseen - with a "ah this looks good" variation.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
Based upon the choices as put forth, the most logical option for me is "Reseen".

I have not the time or the money to be kitbashing my own, nor do I feel Catalyst should retcon the images. (Absolutely not, in fact.)

If I have chosen a particular unit, there's a reason I chose that particular unit.  If I wanted something else, I would have picked something else.

Love them or hate them (and with the Reseen for me,  there are some of both!), they work just fine for representing the unit in tabletop play.

"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Grim_Reaper

• Captain
not a problem for me, i would just bring my 'Classic' (unseen) minis, even if i am using plastic  }:)

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Retcon:

What I would like to see is a re-imagining similar to the Wolverine II treatment. An image which is close enough to the original to bear resemblance but not so close to get Harmony Gold's knickers in a wad.
And he shall have my sword and axe with this post!

What was done for the Wolverine II was perfect and that's why I voted Retcon.  Most of the others I tend to proxy with the Reseen but the Wolverines I use the the II version for the older models and the new one for the recent ones.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
And he shall have my sword and axe with this post!

What was done for the Wolverine II was perfect and that's why I voted Retcon.  Most of the others I tend to proxy with the Reseen but the Wolverines I use the the II version for the older models and the new one for the recent ones.

Totally Agree, Retcon.

Dave.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I'm in for reseen, not everyone can get unseen mini from e-bay, it hard sometimes to explain to new players your trying convince to give the game try about the red-tape story of the old 'Mechs.  I love them, but if they can't be used, we have second best thing.

I wish that reseen stylings could be used retcon the old ones just for sake having other than silhouette in older TROs.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
I say retcon, just to make it easier and you can tell the people the that say "FASA died (and so did Battletech) because they stole designs" that now they are gone.  Battletech isn't.

Will it make people sad, some even butt-hurt over their Unseen?  Yeah, but I see it more of a business decision than one for the players.

That being said, I have no problem with option 3 either.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Nightstalker

• Master Sergeant
   I would use a Re-seen.  They (mostly) look close enough to know what they are.  And I actually like most of them for their own sake.  And, I would probably bash one of the Re-seen minis to the model of the Unseen anyways. 

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
Retcon. But only in the way the Example was given.

So a marauder could look something like this and I'm cool with it.

I funded the 1R so saying that different variants made by different factions and companies at different times have slightly different appearances is cool with me. However, they have to look close enough to the original unseen to be instantly recognizable. Even the reseen are somewhat an extension of this. I  don't like to use reseen in old games because I have the unseen 1. and 2. the date of production to me is the Era it belongs me. You can run old machines into newer eras but you can't go backward without destroying the continuity. Now proxying is proxying but proxying a Mad 3R with a Mad 9S is about the same level as proxying a Mad 3R with a Madcat to me. Doesn't bother me but don't come arguin' that it's all the same. You work with what you got and that's fair. That is a major strength of Battletech. Order for me is Bash, then Reseen, then something with a similar payload and movement.

The only other other thing I'll say is that "Hero" machines and original unseens already pictured in battletech art for specific units should not be retconned in any way. No "Well Natasha's Warhammer didn't look exactly like the way it's been drawn for most of battletech (and yeah I'm aware of the WDSB vs. the standard version)". Hanse drove a big blocky Battlemaster and so forth. It's a matter of respect.

And of course that means that at least one factory for each design should be producing the unseen as originally depicted, though you could fudge things for certain lines like the 3085 Atlas entry did. "Well we lost the forms in the 2nd War so the new Mad 3D's rolling off the line are a tad more angular. Since that required some extensive retooling we took the opportunity to beef up the arm actuators to better handle the stress load from the weapon pods as well."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Since I started in '96 and didn't start collecting minis in earnest until '08-'09, I have no unseen minis (except a Thud I got for a song).  Therefore, I am content to use my Reseens and allow them to represent their original variants.  I've even picked up a few reseen variant models like the SHD-7CS and RFL-6X because they come a little bit closer to a visual match.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
A re-seen Marauder is the Marauder model that always existed for me.  So that reseen Marauder can be 3039 or 3075.  Although it'd be really cool to have an unseen one... ANYWAYS.

Crunch

• Lieutenant
I'd go with retcon just so we never have to see a BT or BT related project canceled or delayed from the confusion.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

FPAlpha

I'd re-select.

I'm a newcomer to the game but not the universe itself and i just like the look of the Unseens as they match all the old artwork (d'uh  ;)). However reality is that they are hard to come by or are very expensive to get on Ebay for instance, i.e. very popular ones like the Marauder, Warhammer or the Rifleman.

Personally i just don't like the visuals of most re-seen Mechs.. it's just personal taste and i'd avoid using them. Fortunately i have a few guys in my area who are veterans and are willing to part with Unseens for a modest price because they don't play as much anymore but not everybody has this luck.

It's up to anybody to decide for themselves but proxy would be the last thing to do because it just invites all kinds of problems and especially in big games can lead to bad blood when someone forgets that it's a proxy and makes a game choice with another Mech in mind.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
When given the option, 99% of the time I reach for a unseen, because honestly, most of those "older" designs look a lot cooler than the reseens (The new Warhammer for example, is fugly). But when that is not an option, the reseens are acceptable. They are the same mechs, just a different model, and that is fine. Although I will of course proxy, because there are many minis I do not own.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Siberian-troll

• Captain
I prefer Cool variant. If new version will be look cool and had a nice resemblance with unseens, I'll take them.
If it will be same as loathed Marauder 5L, which too big and had nothing Marauderish in it - I'll take unseen on e-bay. Even cheap repro from pal, who do not care about this legal crap.

But, by same 'rule of cool' I have no problems with reseen Stinger, Wasp, Ost-series, and even Goliath. 

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
As the mini is only there to represent the unit, anything that approximates it is good in my book. Using the reseens would be the first choice if the group does not hold an unseen.

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
Use a reseen mini....or reselect for faction flavor since the option is there.

I will use my "Unseen" minis in home games since I do have them.

For Official events Reseen minis will do nicely and I don't have to worry about retcon in any case since there is no "what you see is what you get rule" in CBT. There have been many cases where "Camo wasp or what-ever"  has been neatly written on a mech-sheet to allow a player to move and fight with the correct mini provided inn the case of a proxy mini.
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

Register