Poll

The unit is among the Unseen. A sign says "Retcon, Reselect, or Reseen?" What do you choose?

Retcon (Change the unit's image and say "it always looked like that".)
113 (17.9%)
Reselect (Pick another non-Unseen unit appropriate to the era.)
46 (7.3%)
Reseen (Select the Reseen version, and just pretend it's the original Unseen.)
474 (74.9%)

Total Members Voted: 633

Voting closed: 30 June 2011, 22:21:21

Author Topic: Sorry; that Unit you selected is Unseen. Retcon, Reseen, or Reselect?  (Read 62404 times)

Black Omega

• Sergeant
If my unseen were completely unavailable (stolen or something) I would probably proxy first (if that is considered part of retcon-then so be it) then reseen.  I don't have the time, money or patience to kit-bash. (Although, that Nightstar to Marauder kit-bash that several of you guys have made are GORGIOUS!)  I tended to buy what I used on the table.  It's the unit, not what represents it.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2011, 07:57:52 by Black Omega »
"Old age and treachery will beat youth and beauty every time."

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
It's the stats that make it, not the looks.  At least for me, so using a Reseen instead of an Unseen is fine by me.

I admit though an exception for the Marauders anymore, i just cannot stand the reseen mini.  That could be interpreted in another way too, which would still fit.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Spector

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Sunlight is vastly overrated!
We tend to use the reseen if we don't have access to the originals. If not, we tend to use close mini substitutes, like a Nightstar for a Marauder or Marauder II. Especially if the unit doesn't exist in that era. Telling someone they can't use a unit because they/we don't have the mini for it isn't in our vocabulary.
*Insert clever saying/quote here*

Agent #333

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
I say retcon, just to make it easier and you can tell the people the that say "FASA died (and so did Battletech) because they stole designs" that now they are gone.  Battletech isn't.

But that is untrue and I try not spread untruths to my players..  FASA LICENSED the original designs, they did not steal them.  Unfortunately, so did someone else too, and things went downhill from there.  :(
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
But yes, to be honest, I'd like to see new sculpts of unseen.

Not because I can't proxy, not because I can't kitbash...

...but simply because 3025 has a distinctive blockly look that the phoenix designs can't touch. Putting phoenix designs down on a table of unseen stick out like a sore thumb.

Even if based off of phoenix designs, I'd like to see from-scratch designs of the unseen, not relying on dated anime pictures, but not the reseen, either. Either make them in house to resemble the inverse of the changes listed in Project Phoenix, but even more interesting is if the effort could be outsourced to Kunio Okawara, Mechanical Designer for Fang of the Sun Dougram. I think that Btech is licensed to make the dougram designs now (And would be hella sweet if CGL expanded and were the first to release dougram on DVD in the western world), so the only real sore thumb would be hammering down the Macross designs that HG has been stringing Battletech around with for years.

SLDF_Gunslinger

• Corporal
I voted Reseen simply because its far easier for 95% of the table top players out there to just use a reseen MAD mini for whatever era they wanna play in on the table, etc. That being said, when it comes to future products,  I kind of lean toward Retcon.  When it comes to products like Historical:Reunification War and other Era specific products (especially Star League products), I would rather it be a 'retcon' of sorts. I don't want TPTB to have to pass up on some awesome art for these products simply because they can't use the Unseen image of said MAD above. If it comes to that, please just use the Reseen image. Besides, too much work has gone into giving us awesome 'in house' images for the old school units to not use them...

F T C

• Corporal
I choose to reselect.  The unseens are some of my favorite mechs ever.  Retconning their designs would feel like a slap in the face.  I really don't understand what stick is so far up in harmony gold, but if I cannot use the unseen at least I know they are there in the "history" books.  As for the reseens, I don't mean to beat a dead horse but they look like monkeys should be flinging most of them. 
"F T C is old.  He hates new stuff." -- Warmarshall's wife

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
Well Reseen

If I have the mini, i would use it, if not the closets one top it (Reseen) if none are available then something in the appropriate weight class.

Devens

• Lieutenant
I would retcon the reseen image into the unseen unit as an its always been that way method.  Save new art for new mechs.   

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
The Germans are wise ... (all thanks to Genyosha!)

Yes, I still love the shellback, but this cover works just fine ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

BlazingSky

• Lieutenant
  • Ah yes, the rabble and their "Medium Mechs"
I'd actually like to see "Pseudo-Unseens". Since we don't have a real lineage with the Reseen, perhaps altering those designs to fit the aesthetic of 3025? (Blockier, less detailed, and so on)
I don't post to play nice with everyone. I post to posit my ideas. If this offends you, there's an ignore function.
I knew this day would come! The day of the stapler men has arrived!

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
 It look like the reseen is winning by miles. I have been there when it started. I love the unseen and reseen have been growing on me. I voted for the reseen if I didn't have the unseen to play with. >:( NO RETCON !!!! YOU HEAR ME!!! Unseen design are part of BattleTech history live with it.

BlazingSky

• Lieutenant
  • Ah yes, the rabble and their "Medium Mechs"
It look like the reseen is winning by miles. I have been there when it started. I love the unseen and reseen have been growing on me. I voted for the reseen if I didn't have the unseen to play with. >:( NO RETCON !!!! YOU HEAR ME!!! Unseen design are part of BattleTech history live with it.

Can't show the art for them, or use the tweaked art? Hard choice. Not.
I don't post to play nice with everyone. I post to posit my ideas. If this offends you, there's an ignore function.
I knew this day would come! The day of the stapler men has arrived!

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
I have many reseen units so it is the simplest method for me to use.  I also don't have the modeling skills to make a decent kitbash for a retconned unit.  If I had the skills I would retcon the image of the unit while attempting to keep close to the original aesthetic.
All the world's a joke and the people merely punchlines.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
Hmmm, well, there's no problem for me. Having the correct figure to represent a mech is a luxury I've done without for long. So I guess I'll good old proxy it with well, any suitable available figure, in the case it's a friendly game at the club. If at a convention or official event, I'll pop a reseen, or more likely avoid any unseen.

Nice cover indeed! Any place we may find more?
« Last Edit: 08 May 2011, 04:57:00 by foxbat »
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

StoneRhino

• Captain

Voted:Reseen: I wave rights to have my vote hidden, obviously :P

First, bring back the mechs that were unseen, but legally can be seen, such as the original Warhammer IIC(IIRC it is legal but there are no minis being pumped out of this epic mech).

Okay, I went with the reseen because it sucked less then the other options. I don't want to make a personal bashed mini and try and pawn it off as something it is not. It is either the unseen mini or it is not, at least to me. Going for a different mech is only an option if i didn't want the mech to begin with. I went with the reseen, even though the warhammers and maurauders are just as awesome as the unseens. Its possible to beef up the designs and make them look less....olsen twins like.

I don't like the idea of having "unseens" that are blacked out images, yet have "reseen"s floating around. Give us a base image if the unseens are truly gone forever. Fill in the hole with new images that are closer to the style, the flavor, of the unseen, without pushing the legal limits. Also, bring back the "we removed them just because it wasn't in house, though we own the rights" images and get minis of them back out there. With that those images we can use are still around and we don't need to miss those. The truly "unseen"s void gets filled by new images that are truer then the reseens, but not copyright infrigement worthy. The reseens continue to be reseen. If we need to keep christmas presents under the dead christmas tree in hopes that certain kidnapped images return in the far far future in a galaxy far far away, lets just say they were early star league prototypes of the new images of the unseens.

Example:
Unseen warhammer =starleague prototype or issued=storyline place hold in case we ever get it back

new image of a 3025/3039 warhammer =retconned as mass produced or house bashed versions

legal "unseens" =returned to the field with their old rank

original IICs= returned to the field with their old rank

Reseens= modernized versions of old designs per TRO:PP

"reseen"/TRO:PP IICs= IIICs, continued experimentation noted in original IIC designs continues and not even the clan techs know what in the world it is about

If all else fails, just give me back the original Warhammer IIC!!!  {>{>

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
  I should preface my comments by saying I've never had the chance to play a BT game with actual minis, since the only other player I knew of in town moved away before I got my CAT35000 Boxed Set and its PlasTech heroes.  (For the record, that's the old version with a Catapult on the cover, not the recently-released IBS.)  The last time I painted a mini was well before I ever heard the name "Monica Lewinsky"(!), and I made a hash of it, so I've never had a chance to kitbash anything.  And most of the original-generation Reseen are utterly hideous to my eyes, though I found many of the Reseen in TRO3085 a lot more palatable.
  That said, here we go.  For those with tl;dr tendencies, the short version is that I'm with StoneRhino pretty much straight down the line in reasoning, although my vote was different.

The problem: You have picked one of the infamous "Unseen" units to represent your ride. For whatever reason, miniatures of the actual "Unseens" are unavailable, but--as always--the stats are useable for gameplay. Your options are: "Retcon" your "Unseen" (perhaps by bashing a figure you feel is good enough and saying they always looked that way- Example: Take the missile pods off a Catapult, slap the arms of a Dervish on it, and strap the gun arm for a Vindicator to the top centerline and call it a Marauder); Replace your "Unseen" with an era-appropriate alternative (Example: No Marauder? Okay, I'll take the Orion.); or accept the "Reseen" version as a substitute (Plop down a post-3067 model Marauder in place of the 3025 standby.)
  In these specific circumstances, my preferences would be (in order) to a] Ret-con a kitbashed proxy (hopefully one as true to the original Unseen as possible without getting a visit from a lawyer), b] use a Reseen from the same type-name, c] substitute an era-appropriate alternate.  Yes, I voted to ret-con in these specific circumstances, but otherwise, I would really, really rather not do anything so drastic on any scale larger than a single gaming table for a single night's play.

I came to BattleTech around '98 or so.  I've never owned a TRO with the Unseen printed in it, and I've never owned any of the Unseen minis.  I've only ever known the Unseen through the fiction, their stats, their legend, and images shown by non-canonical sources or fellow fans.  But that doesn't change the fact that when you say 'Marauder', the first image into my head is that shellbacked icon of the game doing the Sexy MAD StrutTM that we can't show any more because of lawyers.   [tickedoff]  Or that to me, 'Warhammer' is always going to mean a slope-torso'd, cloven-footed collection of boxes and angles with huge tapering guns where its forearms and hands ought to be.  Those units are icons of BattleTech, and they still hold that nigh-holy resonance in the BT community's consciousness no matter what HG's legal team says or how long they say it - even for someone like me, who never met them as such!  :o

That said, some of the more recent Reseen have started to get closer to 'feeling right'.  I can look at the Reseen Locust or Valkyrie or Archer in TRO3085 and say 'yeah, that is clearly descended from the LCT-1V/VLK-QA/ARC-2R'.  Much as I miss the slope-fronted WHM-6R, the Warhammer in '85 Supplemental is clearly its slightly-anorexic progeny.

So, yes.  I'd be MORE than happy to see new minis of the no-longer-Unseen, like the Shadow Hawk and Griffin and Battlemaster.  Assuming a miracle never happens and we don't get the HG-challenged Unseen back, I voted for a retcon, partly because I'll probably never actually be in the position to need a kitbashed 'Mech like the OP specifies :D, but my first preference still would be for a retcon, one that I hope/pray preserved as much as I could get of the original design's look-and-feel.  Failing that, I would choose a Reseen, again one that was as close as I could get to the look-and-feel of what I was using on the game-table.  Failing that, I'd probably just proxy something as the actual unit, since their stats are still valid for play and I don't recall ever yet meeting a BT 'WYSIWYG Nazi', but if my fellow players were being uptight about matters, I'd sub in a similar, era-appropriate design as a last resort.

Of course, I'm probably misreading the OP (and misconstruing the motives and driving forces behind it) and making a lot of fuss over nothing.  :-\  But if I'm not, I thought I'd best have my vote counted, and my reasons for my vote on the record, so that I know I didn't miss my chance to say something when it could have made a difference.  :-X

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
We tend to use the reseen if we don't have access to the originals. If not, we tend to use close mini substitutes, like a Nightstar for a Marauder or Marauder II. Especially if the unit doesn't exist in that era. Telling someone they can't use a unit because they/we don't have the mini for it isn't in our vocabulary.

Seyla.  I resisted GW games for over a decade because of WYSIWYG rules and the like.  I'm very much against the idea of anyone telling me what units I can or can't use. 
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

mechgregor

• Corporal
Retcon

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Use a Reseen as a proxy for the Unseen. I wouldn't pretend it was the Unseen version but openly state that it is a substitute for the unavailable miniature.

A kitbash would be my second choice.

SLDF_Gunslinger

• Corporal

W.

This is EXACTLY what I am in favor of....my long winded post aside.  ::)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Its too bad the artist picked wrong variant of the Marauder for that cover.  Needed the PPC armed one verse the Liao ER LL.  Either way, as much i rather have retrocon of older looking reseens, then none at all.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Should we retcon the Lyran Alliance logo into 3025 play, too?

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
Should we retcon the Lyran Alliance logo into 3025 play, too?

Nah, I like the old fist!
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
Simply put, I like the Reseen option.  Thanks for listening.

Matt.C

• Corporal
  • Davion '25
Re-select, as I don't like substitues and I hate how most of the re-seen look.

Thankfully, though, I have enough Unseen minis to build a regiment just out of them, so me and the people playing with me are well off in that regard.

I bought the new boxed set, even two copies, one for me and for my girlfriend, and will buy a third one as a prize for a tournament I'll host next month.

But I refuse to accept the re-seen as much as I refuse the Jihad and everything following it.

I love that Battletech is on the rise again, I really do. But I won't support something I personally abhor, so all I do is buy 4SW and Clan Invasion stuff and make sure to not buy anything from the new eras.

This includes not accepting Project Pheonix and keeping the unseen visible and iconic for all the people I introduce to Battletech, making sure that they won't ever be forgotten.
“You know, Todd, when we're alone, and I'm talking out loud... It's kinda for YOUR benefit. I already know the stuff I'm saying.”
-Charlie Davies; Outsourced S01E12 - Sari, Charlie

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
I voted for the reseen. I usually have whatever I need, so it would not make any difference. If I don't have it, one of the others in our group will have.
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

CitizenErased

• Master Sergeant
  • Eldritch Galactic Princess
    • Dykes Dig Giant Robots
I voted for the Reseen, because it's just the least painful solution when you need to put a mini on the table. Personally, I collect Unseen, and I hold the irrational dream that one day Unseen minis will return to full production - right around the same time I grow a ZZ Top beard and fly out of the city a pegasus.

The one thing I do not support in any way, shape, or form is retconning the original Unseen designs out of existence. I'm not the biggest fan of some of the Reseen, of course, but I don't hate them either. I just think the Unseen are an integral part of BattleTech's aesthetic, and axing them - or replacing them with some sort of compromise based off the Reseen - is unnecessary.

But in the end, I realize that's just my opinion for my game table. If Catalyst decides to retcon the Unseen away (which I doubt is the point of this poll), I'll get a little grumpy, as it means that prices for those lovely little OOP pieces of pewter will get even higher. But I'll still plonk my Unseen-ridden 1FSAC company down on any table with pride with one hand as I leaf through the newest Catalyst product with the other, because I damned well love this game for the story, not the petty squabbles over whose giant robot is still in production at the Defiance Industries plant on Moosejaw.
Your friendly neighborhood transgender giant robot enthusiast!

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
Reseen, otherwise, what was the point of reseen? Project Phoenix was a better explination to get new miniatures for old 'Mechs out there than it was for an "update".

So, yeah, Reseen. And the reseen Thunderbolt ALL. THE. TIME.

fuzbuckle

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
My vote is retcon but after that I would choose replace.  Though the original warhammer is what drew me to battletech in the first place, I think printing black outlines in TRO's and on record sheets is just silly.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!