Author Topic: Industrial Equipment which should exist (in BattleTech), but doesn't  (Read 10124 times)

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
  • Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
    • Message me on Telegram
This is a discussion thread for a topic I have a personal interest in, and hopefully I'm not the only one.
Basically, I'm trying to design custom IndustrialMechs and Support Vehicles for a fan TRO covering civilian stuff (I'm calling it XTRO: Heavy Industry), but my creativity has hit a brick wall because I find myself limited by what's actually available in BattleTech. My goal with this thread is to expand the catalog of equipment to choose from, and for that I need your help.

So if you have ideas for something that should exist in BattleTech, but doesn't, and would be suitable for a non-military application... Please share it!

(So far the most fleshed out thing I have right now is a mech-sized leafblower/snowblower, but I can't take credit for it. Somebody else did all of the specs and fluff.)
« Last Edit: 16 February 2023, 12:16:45 by Lycanphoenix »

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Industrial Equipment which should exist (in BattleTech), but doesn't
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2023, 14:57:12 »
There are a couple technical Readouts that have some civilian Mechs:
TRO: Vehicle Annex
TRO: Vehicle Annex (Revised Edition)

You have Harvesters, Herders, Miners, Salvagers, security mechs, plus vehicles of all sorts.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2023, 15:09:23 »
I'm already aware of those. You could say I'm trying to carry on their legacy~
By the way, is somebody who pilots an IndustrialMech potentially a "MechLaborer"?

But yeah, if there's any industrial equipment you can think of which BattleTech currently lacks, do share!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2023, 16:08:52 »
Operators are the guys who operate heavy equipment. I called my friends pilots the other day, and both of them (operators) didn’t like it so much. I think operator is the way to go.

I think the lift hoist can cover alot of stuff.

I think they cover pretty well a lot of the heavy industry stuff. There aren’t many ‘uptown’ mechs.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2023, 16:23:23 »
Well, I mean... I guess I should just go ahead and share some specs for equipment that have been decided on so far. But that will need to wait until I get home.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2023, 18:43:02 »
Windblower, aka ThAC (ThermoAcoustic Cannon)... essentially an upsized leafblower. Comes in four sizes... UL (Ultralight), Small, Medium, and Large. When I asked somebody for suggestions on brand names, they responded by writing almost a whole page worth of lore.
I think you will be wanting products by autocannon or turbine manufacturers.  Ceres Metals Industries happens to produce both, as does General Motors and Quikscell... so my pitch would be the "CMI Mucalinda 7" available in Liao space, and the "GM Tempesterii ThAC" (THermo-Accoustic Cannon) sold across the Inner Sphere.  The Draconis Combine use smaller, more precise units constructed by Quikscell Company on Alshain, called the "Zefa 337".  The Lyran Commonwealth has access to the "THLMS Fimbulvetr" manufactured on Tharkad, a collaboration between TharHes and Lockheed.

The fun thing about the GM Tempesterri is that it can by close its high-bypass intakes and turn into a heat projecting cannon that as an optional rule does 5 points of damage to armoured units or 10 points of damage to infantry within 3 hexes of the direction of attack.

It's commonly known that Quikscell's designs were originally developed on Pandora, prior to the Clan invasion.  During their rapid relocation during the early part of the invasion, the technical team relocated to Tharkad, which is what gave the Lyrans the head start on developing their own.  It was only the efforts of the Grey Death Legion which allowed them to evacuate in time.  Likewise, it was recovered plans from Quikscell that allowed the Jade Falcons to establish the Clan version.  It is because of this that the Fimbulvetr and Zefa are superficially similar... except the Fimbulveter is much bigger.

Quikscell actually offered the GDL downscaled versions of the Zefa for use with their scout infantry, but they were found to be insufficiently powerful for the Legion's applications.  It's reported that Grayson Carlyle's response to a demonstration of the Zefa was "This might be useful for clearing the Archon's driveway, but it won't do a lick of good on Glengarry."
Code: [Select]
There are four classes of ThAC: ultralight, small, medium and heavy.  Stats as follows:
Class    Wt     Ht     S    M    L   Ct
UL*     0.25     1     1    2    3    1
S       0.5      2     1    2    4    1
M       1        3     2    4    6    1
H       2        4     2    4    7    2
Mountable by mechs or vehicles only, except for the *UL which can be mounted by armoured infantry.
The Lyrans, of course, tried to build an assault class ThAC, but found that the pressure waves became unstable and gave up after destroying several prototypes and all the windows in the surrounding area.

Branding:
UL - Zefa GD
S - Zefa 337, CMI Mucalinda 7
M - GM Tempesterii ThAC
H - THLMS Fimbulvetr

You can thank a cat named Kell for this fluff and for these stats. I'll post stats for my Mining Laser in a little while.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2023, 19:02:44 by Lycanphoenix »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2023, 19:34:24 »
An interesting idea at least... I look forward to reading more...  8)

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2023, 22:41:59 »
I'd think that with this project you'd be finding functions first, the having of the equipment which don't have specifications. What equipment are you short on stats for? A garbage truck?
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2023, 23:50:15 »
Oooh, good idea; we need specs for the on-board trash compactor.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2023, 01:14:50 »
So one of the big bugbears I have is that we dont have a 'grader'.  With the existing industrial equipment, we can knock down buildings and trees, and a bull dozer can make rubble terrain able to be traversed as clear, but we dont have anything that can turn rough and rubble terrain into clear terrain.  Like, if you are clearing a forest and make a bunch of rough terrain, the next step is to turn the rough terrain to clear terrain.  So a grader that chews up the rough terrain and smooths it out is missing.

Also, we have lots of rock cutters and drills, but they dont actually dig a hole.  There is an advanced terrain destruction rule about 200 damage lowers the terrain by 1 level after you clear trees, but this kinda in unsatisfying in that the dirt just disappears, and there isnt any difference between dirt and rock.  So terrain rules that make use of the rock cutter and drill would be nice.

We also dont have a scoop.  We have a dumper, which the scoop would put dirt into when digging / lowering a level, but no tool to actually just move the ground in the first place.

Finally, we have nothing that makes a road.  Yes, making a road takes time, but not THAT much time, and the ability to make a road through the forest to allow service vehicles through is a big deal.  Heck in ww2 they would build train tracks as they moved, so we know it is done.  Plus, you gotta have the ability to make an airfield, that comes up a whole bunch.  Airdropping some industrial mechs, and later being able to land at a makeshift air base is a big deal.

This has come up when doing more narrative campaigns.  Moving equipment through a forest to attack X location, and the wheeled units are all stuck immediately cause there is no grader.  A level 2 elevation change stops the whole column forever unless you find the obscure 'destroy a level' rule in tac ops, when there should be industrial equipment that does that (cause there is after all).

As for actual units, my favorite is 'Handy'.  Handy is a 10 ton ultralight or 20 ton light industrial mech.  All it has are hands, and maybe some quality of life stuff like searchlights and such.  Many tasks involving loading and unloading, and it takes a ground team 3 rounds to load or unload something (30 seconds aint bad by the way) but Handy can pick up 1 (ultra light) or 2 (light mech) ton loads instantly, and can move them crazy fast.  A normal unit with any kind of load is encumbered but within 10% of the tonnage a mech suffers no agility loss.  You can also uproot trees with a mech, which is awesome for a lot of applications.  Plus, 1 Handy can load heavier things like a full ground team.  So you could have a 28 man infantry help load up a lift hoist with 70 tons of cargo, or you could have a single 'Handy' do the same task in the same time.  Add in that you can environmentally seal 'Handy' and you have a really versatile unit.  The ability to pick up a girder and hold it in place at almost any angle due to the agility of a mech would really speed up a lot of construction time.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2023, 08:44:17 »
There is a backhoe, which is a scoop.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2023, 09:29:55 »
A backhoe isn't as efficient as a purpose-built shovel when doing a shovel's job, kinda like how a(n) [organ] isn't as efficient as a(n) [other organ] when doing said [other organ]'s job.

Anyways, let's get to work. We have rules to write.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2023, 09:56:36 by Lycanphoenix »

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2023, 12:20:12 »
A backhoe isn't as efficient as a purpose-built shovel when doing a shovel's job, kinda like how a(n) [organ] isn't as efficient as a(n) [other organ] when doing said [other organ]'s job.

Anyways, let's get to work. We have rules to write.

It is, that’s why you don’t see excavators with flat shovels digging trenches.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2023, 13:02:43 »
Er... Okay, you have a point. I kinda just assumed from the name that a backhoe was for tilling. My bad.
Still have some rules to write for the other tools though.

Also, a couple quickies I made, one way back in the olden days and the other just this morning...
Fire Control Limiter: A modification to missile launchers which restrict them to firing only a single missile at a time. Often installed on Demolition 'mechs equipped with concussive SRMs, or on Firefighting 'mechs equipped with fire-extinguishing LRMs. If one missile launcher on a unit posseses a Fire Control Limiter, then all missile launchers of that type must also possess one.
IndustrialMech Breathalyzer: A cheap cockpit modification. Negligible weight cost and doesn't occupy critical space, but does raise an IndustrialMech's Safety Value and adds about 10 C-Bills to the cockpit cost for each operator present. IndustrialMech dual cockpits, such as on tripods or industrial quadvees, require two breathalyzers. The breathalyzer system does nothing in gameplay.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2023, 13:11:49 by Lycanphoenix »

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2023, 14:24:00 »
Er... Okay, you have a point. I kinda just assumed from the name that a backhoe was for tilling. My bad.
Still have some rules to write for the other tools though.

Also, a couple quickies I made, one way back in the olden days and the other just this morning...
Fire Control Limiter: A modification to missile launchers which restrict them to firing only a single missile at a time. Often installed on Demolition 'mechs equipped with concussive SRMs, or on Firefighting 'mechs equipped with fire-extinguishing LRMs. If one missile launcher on a unit posseses a Fire Control Limiter, then all missile launchers of that type must also possess one.
IndustrialMech Breathalyzer: A cheap cockpit modification. Negligible weight cost and doesn't occupy critical space, but does raise an IndustrialMech's Safety Value and adds about 10 C-Bills to the cockpit cost for each operator present. IndustrialMech dual cockpits, such as on tripods or industrial quadvees, require two breathalyzers. The breathalyzer system does nothing in gameplay.

I like these.

Agree with everything mentioned, especially heavy bladed equipment and graders to make roads and airfields.

Also need SUPERHEAVY capable trucks: An 70-80-ton tractor that's almost all engine that can then haul a trailer-mounted Atlas 5/8-6/9.  Recovery assets have to keep up with the battle; more than that, armies use heavy-lift to move a LOT of artillery.  Right now, SRM/LRM carriers can't keep up with the larger battle.  Not a problem in Battletech, but in the grand scheme of things, it is.

These trucks would also serve civilian double-duty by hauling everything you're going to build: if you're waiting on a 1/2 bulldozer to arrive to build the airfield, you're gonna wait FOREVER. ;-) hahaha

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2023, 15:45:38 »
By the way, my XTRO: Heavy Industry project is actually the parent of my Screw-Propelled Vehicles (SPV) project, if you want to check that out as well.

Sorry about the delays getting the Mining Laser specs posted. Been busy with training for my new job.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2023, 19:07:43 »
I like these.

Agree with everything mentioned, especially heavy bladed equipment and graders to make roads and airfields.

Also need SUPERHEAVY capable trucks: An 70-80-ton tractor that's almost all engine that can then haul a trailer-mounted Atlas 5/8-6/9.  Recovery assets have to keep up with the battle; more than that, armies use heavy-lift to move a LOT of artillery.  Right now, SRM/LRM carriers can't keep up with the larger battle.  Not a problem in Battletech, but in the grand scheme of things, it is.

These trucks would also serve civilian double-duty by hauling everything you're going to build: if you're waiting on a 1/2 bulldozer to arrive to build the airfield, you're gonna wait FOREVER. ;-) hahaha
I think you're missing the power of Lift Hoists...  ^-^

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2023, 14:04:31 »
Who says the superheavy hauling trucks can't have lift hoists on-board?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2023, 14:34:56 »
Nobody at all, but you can drag an Atlas at 8/12 with a little imagination...  ^-^

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2023, 15:43:47 »
Who says the superheavy hauling trucks can't have lift hoists on-board?

They should, to drag non-mobile equipment on board.

now, dragging it BEHIND for thirty-kays?  well, "that's a TECHNIQUE," to use the Army expression...  ;) ;D ;D

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2023, 19:40:48 »
DOUBLE FEATURE!

-----------------------

“Alright, Stevens, we just finished checking the survey team's samples. Mass spectrometer shows greater than sixty percent germanium by weight. Warm up those lasers and get her cracked open.” The mechlaborer flips a few switches in the vacuum-sealed cockpit, and listens to the hum as the single bulky mining laser on the machine's shoulder comes to life. It's an ugly thing, more tool than weapon, with a set of bulky heat sinks protruding along its entire length, and a thick cable routed off its back to the mech's generator. A red dot, projected by a cheap visible-light laser clamped to the mining tool's barrel, appears on the comet's surface. It is quickly drowned out by the infrared glow as Stevens pulls the trigger, dumping hundreds of megajoules of heat into the ice and bringing the heatsink vanes to a dull glow. In less than a second, it bursts, propelling a boulder several meters across free of the surface, ready to be collected and melted down.
— Story by Kat Fennec

Mining Laser: For extracting valuable resources from stellar bodies, such as mineral-rich asteroids and digermane-filled comets (H₆Ge₂, or D₆Ge₂ for its deuterated counterpart). Uses wider optics than on a combat laser, and operates primarily in the Infrared or Terahertz spectra.

Tech: Inner Sphere
Damage: 1 (plus 2 heat)
Heat: 4
Range: 3/5/7 (vacuum), 1/2/3 (in-atmosphere)
Minimum Range: None
Mass: 0.75 Tons
+2 to-hit penalty when trying to use as a weapon.

Tech: Clan
Damage: 2 (plus 3 heat)
Heat: 4
Range: 4/7/10 (vacuum), 1/3/5 (in-atmosphere)
Minimum Range: None
Mass: 0.75 Tons
+2 to-hit penalty when trying to use as a weapon.

-----------------------

Civilian Gyro: (being moved to its own thread)
Smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a military-grade CMG (control moment gyroscope), civilian gyros need to spin much faster to get their job done. And even then, they tend to be a little underpowered for their corresponding engine, which leads to trickier piloting.

Combined with less robust construction, the higher angular velocity makes them incredibly delicate; even minimal damage can render them inoperable.

Nonetheless, their reduced weight and bulk, and reduced cost, are greatly appreciated by the commercial sector.

• Critical Spaces: 2
• Tonnage: Engine Rating / 200, rounding up in quarter-ton increments.
• Destroyed after a single critical hit.
• Running and difficult terrain each impose a +1 target modifier on piloting rolls. These penalties stack.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2023, 14:09:19 by Lycanphoenix »

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2023, 15:02:08 »
I can tell that you're all not quite impressed... Don't worry, my next thing will be better.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2023, 16:02:31 »
This board isn't social media. I think it predates most social media. There's no points to earn and no shame for not getting "engagement."

We're mostly old grognards here; there's not a lot of feedback. Sometimes folks don't have anything to say. Sometimes they don't have anything to add. Someone who was engaged last night might not be here for a week.

Just...do you, show respect for folks, and keep truckin'. You're not going to get showered with praise or hate so don't sweat it.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2023, 16:47:35 »
What he said! :)

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2023, 21:46:14 »
This board isn't social media. I think it predates most social media. There's no points to earn and no shame for not getting "engagement."

We're mostly old grognards here; there's not a lot of feedback. Sometimes folks don't have anything to say. Sometimes they don't have anything to add. Someone who was engaged last night might not be here for a week.

Just...do you, show respect for folks, and keep truckin'. You're not going to get showered with praise or hate so don't sweat it.

Well said, concur all. :-)

When we have comments, we'll say them: look at it this way, no arguments is GOOD, in a way. ;-)

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 21 February 2023, 00:25:43 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_equipment

You have come across a subject I have been thinking of for quite some time.
I work in the field of logistics, as well as being interested in the support side of the spectrum.
Here are a few links to get started on getting ideas for supporting equipment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_equipment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material-handling_equipment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_engineering_vehicle
http://www.military-today.com/index.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_support_equipment

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 21 February 2023, 06:38:02 »
To help block out, here is the list of various civilian heavy equipment that currently exists:

- Backhoe - use this or a variant of it for Excavators
- Bulldozer - allow a variant of this to serve as a grader blade?  Or to serve as a drum roller/Compactor?  Or a wheel tractor/scraper?
- Cargo Bays (different types: solid, dry, liquid, cryogenic, etc) - use these for the tank of an asphalt paver, or the water tank of a dust suppression vehicle, etc.
- Chainsaw - for when you need to cut relatively soft material (i.e. trees)
- Combine - this can serve as the base mass for all sorts of farming equipment (i.e. the auto-planting setup to make sure all the seeds are the correct distance deep and apart)
- Dual Saw (basically a heavier and more damaging Chainsaw)
- Fluid Pumps/Vehicle Flamers/Sprayers - for when you need to move a lot of liquid rapidly
- Lift Hoist - a variant of this to represent the unloader arm (and equipment to unload) of a combine, or a modified forklift
- Mining Drill - for when you want to do narrow and deep damage to a hard surface (i.e. rock/metal)
- Pile Driver - use a variant of this to serve as a compactor to flatten a chunk of terrain (i.e. the clay underneath what will be a road)
- Rock Cutter - for when you want to deal wide and shallow damage to a hard surface (i.e. rock/metal)
- Salvage Arm - use to temporarily lift items, not as flexible as a Mech's hand, but more flexible than a Lift Hoist
- Spot Welder - for when you need to precisely cut or weld together two pieces of metal
- Wrecking Ball - for when you need to break something and need it to hold still

The fun is that the above categories can handle a lot of varying civilian equipment.  For example a cherry-picker/Boom Lift or a Scissor Lift could be simulated with a wheeled vehicle and a single Lift Hoist.

A large scale drag shovel could be simulated with a Bulldozer blade mounted on the Front or Turret, with Quirks mentioning that the Bulldozer can only be used when the vehicle is still, but can operate on a 360 arc around the mounting vehicle.

Hydraulic Mining shovels would be a combination of Bulldozer blade and Backhoe

Telehandlers are basically a much larger forklift

Asphalt Pavers would be a combination of Bulldozer blade, Fluid Pump, and 'liquid' storage.

Truck Crane would be a Lift Hoist, but needing rules to divide lifting capacity by height you wish it brought up to.  I.e. a vehicle might be able to lift 30 tons via its Lift Hoist, but if you want it going up to level 4 then it can only lift 7.5 tons.

Pile Boring Machines = Mining Drill pointed vertically

Pile Driving Machine = Pile Driver on a vehicle

Feller/Buncher - for when you need to cut down a lot of trees and put them together in a single pile, use a Chainsaw and a Lift Hoist on the same vehicle

Concrete Mixer = cargo (liquid) plus Lift Hoist to reflect the

Garbage Truck = armored side and rear, cargo container, and a Pile Driver to reflect the hydraulic crusher at the rear

Pipe Layer = Multiple Lift Hoists, and a targeting system to make sure the Lift Hoists are synchronized

Trencher - a modified version of the Backhoe or Chainsaw to reflect the equipment used to make a deep/narrow trench

I forget if there is a dumping mechanism in Battletech, for the main hydraulics of a dump truck

For most of the civilian equipment, modifying one of the canon pieces of equipment above could be used to simulate the specific item.

Example items that have been added:
- Mining Laser - I can see this being used to give the IndustrialMech a bit of room from the rock face in case there is trouble.  Use it in a low-power mode so an assistant (or the Operator) can see where the beam will do its work, then crank up the power

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2023, 10:35:05 »
Speaking of the mining laser, what are your thoughts on the short story my friend wrote, and your thoughts on the Clan version being as good as it is?

Also, I know it’s not really industrial equipment (and should probably get its own thread), but what are your thoughts on the Civilian Gyro? (I only included it to make up for the delay in getting the mining laser posted.)
« Last Edit: 21 February 2023, 14:14:22 by Lycanphoenix »

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2023, 14:12:16 »
Speaking of the mining laser, what are your thoughts on the short story my friend wrote, and your thoughts on the Clan version being as good as it is?

Also, I know it’s not really industrial equipment (and should probably get its own thread), but what are your thoughts on the Civilian Gyro? (I only included it to make up for the delay in getting the mining laser posted.)

From the post here?

Story + Mining Laser:
The short story seems a nice fluff piece, talking about how the weapon works.  It sounded like they were on a planet's surface with the comment about how the boulder rolled free, rather than in space.  Maybe make a tweak in the last sentence about the ice breaking under the heat, as a quick glance might make people think it was the boulder or the mining laser that broke under the heat.  One fun idea for space mining might be including a Mining Drill, to reflect a small drill used to go into a chunk of rock, slap a piton and some vacuum-rated concrete in place, so the cable attached to the piton helps hold the freed chunk of rock in place instead of the rock drifting all over.

For the numbers, I'd want to compare them to the original Small Laser, and make sure the Mining Laser is not more effective as a weapon.  Give it horrible to-hits that the Immobile modifier can counter, and the ability to fire multiple shots per turn at a horrible heat penalty.

Off-hand I'd go with using the same rate of drilling as the Mining Drill, and just mention that it can be done from ~30 meters away.  The range seems a bit much for just a mining tool, as 3 hexes is an entire soccer field of range.

Civilian Gyro:
For the Civilian gyro, it looks like it would be primarily used for flat terrain.  Mining Mechs, Lumberjack Mechs, Rescue Mechs, etc would likely be going into difficult terrain and have the gyro giving them problems.  Good for Agromechs and Spaceport Loadermechs, or a cheap outfit that doesn't mind wear and tear on the gyros and pilots though (Quikscell?)  You are saving 1-2 tons per Mech, at the penalty that any critical hit on the gyro will destroy it.

The Civilian Gyro could still be useful for a BattleMech, by mounting two of these you use up about the same space as the original Gyro, and the total mass will be about the same.  Even better, is if Gyro #1 gets hit and taken out, and a second critical hit damages Gyro #1 again, that is a good thing as Gyro #2 is still operating at full power.  You might be paying a half ton more for this ability, but the redundancy in Gyros might make it worthwhile.

For example:
Locust - 20-tonner moving 8/12 with 160-rated engine:
With regular Gyro: 2 tons, 4 crits (IIRC)
With 1 Civilian Gyro: 1 ton, 2 crits
With 2 Civilian Gyros: 2 tons, 4 crits

So the Locust has no change in mass, and due to lack of Jump Jets does not have to worry about the piloting penalty.  As long as the Locust only moves at a speed of 8 or less on fairly flat terrain it has no problems.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #30 on: 21 February 2023, 14:17:55 »
Twin gyros is actually kind of amusing. I might steal that.
Your feedback is noted on the mining laser. I'll make the necessary adjustments, pending playtesting.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 22 February 2023, 16:04:55 »
some interesting equipment here that could be used in a campaign.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #32 on: 22 February 2023, 17:55:42 »
Fishing Equipment, both Recreational and Industrial varieties. Would that be covered by Lift Hoist?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 22 February 2023, 18:03:24 »
Fishing Equipment, both Recreational and Industrial varieties. Would that be covered by Lift Hoist?

I imagine most fishing done by Mech’s would be via nets or pots, so lift hoist should take care of it.

And with slight modification a lift hoist would cover mega-fauna fishing as well

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 22 February 2023, 18:20:19 »
I'm not sure I want to know what your are fishing for that you would need a Lift Hoist.. 

Only that

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 22 February 2023, 18:29:11 »
Maybe can repurpose the Harpoon srm ammo for it as well

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 22 February 2023, 21:53:34 »
When you need a bigger boat, a Lift Hoist should be your first answer...  ^-^

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #37 on: 22 February 2023, 22:01:59 »
If you go fishing in a mech, make sure you don't fail your PSR.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 23 February 2023, 08:01:50 »
Mining Laser  -  I like the idea. I don't really like odd tonnage though. Unless you use fractional accounting it'll need to be rounded up. I would also be more inclined to make it a laser version of the nail/rivet gun. There could even be two versions like standard laser and chemical laser.

The civilian gyro  - I can't say I'm impressed. Again the odd weight would be a problem. It does take fewer crits but I don't think civilian mechs would be worrying about crit space much.

Windblower - I want to like it. Besides the weight problem for the ultra light, it also it makes the flame thrower obsolete. It even has a jump jet attack feel but it's really just a mech sized industrial strength hair dryer.  I would probably just repurpose the fluid suction system into a blower. Heat could be added by dumping heat from the heat sinks into it but heat damage would depend on how much heat had been generated. If I really wanted a heat gun, I think I'd probably just mount a jump in the arm and allow a jump jet  attack style "punch".

As for other equipment, idea weenie did list a lot of equipment and how it could be fluffed/used as other things. We do need rules for reach though. A mech's arms will only go so far. A crain can go a lot higher or lower. Its use could also be changed by the number of legs the mech has. A quad could lift more than a biped without stabilizing jacks (which would be useful). A tripod would be in between.

Herb mentioned that there had been a lot of industrial equipment created like a street sweeper, but were never included but didn't have stats. I suppose we could use a harvester with a built in vacuum/suction system. It'd need a cargo bay to work properly.  And the mine sweeper should be able to be used by mechs. Same with the bulldozer blade.

We don't have steam rollers. I think that would be a wheeled chassis mod. Maybe use the snowmobile chassis to start and limit terrain to roads.

We could also repurpose Active Probes and Imagers as metal detectors and ground penetrating radar etc. They can find minerals, water, voids and stuff better than Active Probes but aren't good enough for combat because or range or slower processor speeds or something.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #39 on: 23 February 2023, 09:44:06 »
Mining Laser  -  I like the idea. I don't really like odd tonnage though. Unless you use fractional accounting it'll need to be rounded up.
ER Micro Lasers, Clan MGs, and paramedic equipment are 0.25 tons. Plus, I kind of want to encourage fractional accounting (and even if you don't use it, an amplifier for this thing will still round the total tonnage up to 1 ton.)

I would also be more inclined to make it a laser version of the nail/rivet gun. There could even be two versions like standard laser and chemical laser.
Yeah, the mining laser was actually the first thing I designed, so I didn't really think of that.

The civilian gyro  - I can't say I'm impressed. Again the odd weight would be a problem. It does take fewer crits but I don't think civilian mechs would be worrying about crit space much.
Could always round to the half-ton instead of the quarter-ton. The way I see it though, a military-spec gyro is just two civilian gyros stuck together, albeit built a little better.

Windblower - I want to like it. Besides the weight problem for the ultra light, it also it makes the flame thrower obsolete. It even has a jump jet attack feel but it's really just a mech sized industrial strength hair dryer.  I would probably just repurpose the fluid suction system into a blower. Heat could be added by dumping heat from the heat sinks into it but heat damage would depend on how much heat had been generated. If I really wanted a heat gun, I think I'd probably just mount a jump in the arm and allow a jump jet  attack style "punch".
In my defense, I'm not the person who gave the Windblower its stats. Though I originally wanted the "damage output" to just be "refer to TacOps for the rules on strong winds".

As for other equipment, idea weenie did list a lot of equipment and how it could be fluffed/used as other things. We do need rules for reach though. A mech's arms will only go so far. A crain can go a lot higher or lower. Its use could also be changed by the number of legs the mech has. A quad could lift more than a biped without stabilizing jacks (which would be useful). A tripod would be in between.

Herb mentioned that there had been a lot of industrial equipment created like a street sweeper, but were never included but didn't have stats. I suppose we could use a harvester with a built in vacuum/suction system. It'd need a cargo bay to work properly.  And the mine sweeper should be able to be used by mechs. Same with the bulldozer blade.

We don't have steam rollers. I think that would be a wheeled chassis mod. Maybe use the snowmobile chassis to start and limit terrain to roads.

We could also repurpose Active Probes and Imagers as metal detectors and ground penetrating radar etc. They can find minerals, water, voids and stuff better than Active Probes but aren't good enough for combat because or range or slower processor speeds or something.
You make a good point on all of these.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2023, 12:30:43 by Lycanphoenix »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 23 February 2023, 18:53:07 »
*snip*
Plus, I kind of want to encourage fractional accounting (and even if you don't use it, an amplifier for this thing will still round the total tonnage up to 1 ton.)
*snip*
I like the cut of your jib...  ^-^

Argus1348

• Private
« Reply #41 on: 24 February 2023, 14:36:23 »
I think we need a Tech Level A turret, maybe called "Turret, primitive".

This is not because of weapons (TechManual completly lacks useful Tech Level A weapons for vehicles) but for a wrecking ball instead. Because according to Tech Manual (see entry "Wrecking Ball") ist needs to be installed in a turret. And Tech Level A (19th to early 20th century) sure had simple turrets.

And i also miss what in english is called "aerial working plattform" or "aerial device" or "elevating work plattform" or "cherry picker" or "bucket truck" or "mobile elevating work plattform". I don't know what is the most common word and picket that list of words from Wikipedia.

Why? You can install it on vehicles and trailers and then lift infantry (if the plattform is large enough or if its just a squad) to levels they normally could'nt reach. Also possible to install equipment (or weapons) that then could operate at that height (for example to hide the vehicle behind a 2 level wall).

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 24 February 2023, 14:50:19 »
I think what you are looking for is a man lift (either a boom lift or a scissor lift).

A lot of that is covered by lift hoists, just have it lifting a man basket. People irl do that from cranes even.

Ooh no I know what you mean now, a cherry picker boom.
Some fire trucks have ladders with hose nozzle attachments up there too. That’s a good call.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 24 February 2023, 15:03:13 »
I think we need a Tech Level A turret, maybe called "Turret, primitive".

This is not because of weapons (TechManual completly lacks useful Tech Level A weapons for vehicles) but for a wrecking ball instead. Because according to Tech Manual (see entry "Wrecking Ball") ist needs to be installed in a turret. And Tech Level A (19th to early 20th century) sure had simple turrets.

And i also miss what in english is called "aerial working plattform" or "aerial device" or "elevating work plattform" or "cherry picker" or "bucket truck" or "mobile elevating work plattform". I don't know what is the most common word and picket that list of words from Wikipedia.

Why? You can install it on vehicles and trailers and then lift infantry (if the plattform is large enough or if its just a squad) to levels they normally could'nt reach. Also possible to install equipment (or weapons) that then could operate at that height (for example to hide the vehicle behind a 2 level wall).

If you are lifting weapons up high like that, I'd want to make sure that they had low or zero recoil.  So energy weapons, recoilles rifles, TAG, Recon Cameras, etc.

For low-tech items that are not present, I'd simplify it as doubling the heat, mass, and crits of the item for each TL below its availability.

So if you wanted a TL D Gauss Rifle and the only version is the Star League TL E Gauss Rifle, then your TL D version would be 2 Heat, 30 tons, and 14 crit slots.  In exchange you get a weapon doing 15 pts of damage at ranges of (2) 7/15/22.  TL C Gauss Rifle would be Heat 4, 60 tons, and 28 crits.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #44 on: 24 February 2023, 17:18:22 »
Anybody notice how you can’t put lift hoists on turrets?

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 24 February 2023, 17:27:56 »
ER Micro Lasers, Clan MGs, and paramedic equipment are 0.25 tons. Plus, I kind of want to encourage fractional accounting (and even if you don't use it, an amplifier for this thing will still round the total tonnage up to 1 ton.)

I do use fractional accounting but many don't. When I do, outside the above equipment, those units get the non-standard parts quirk because they're not standard. Those items above usually end up being mounted in pair or with .25 tons of cargo space.

Yeah, the mining laser was actually the first thing I designed, so I didn't really think of that.

:)

Could always round to the half-ton instead of the quarter-ton. The way I see it though, a military-spec gyro is just two civilian gyros stuck together, albeit built a little better.

I figured since Industrial Mech's came first, the gyro was good enough for military use.

In my defense, I'm not the person who gave the Windblower its stats. Though I originally wanted the "damage output" to just be "refer to TacOps for the rules on strong winds".

No worries. I do want to like it it has issues. I'd have to look up TacOps wind rules but I imagine they'd work for this. I think the market would be pretty limited though. I can see Police using it as a non-lethal means to break up riots maybe annoying enemy infantry. Maybe a support mech trying to create a dust or snow cloud to block line of sight or make fires hotter. If it were just marketed as a leaf blower, I'd be worried about liabilities from broken windows.

You make a good point on all of these.

Thanks. It just occurred to me, we don't have a snow blower but I suppose the harvest would work for that. 

I hadn't. I would have thought they could be since cranes are often on turrets.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 24 February 2023, 17:41:52 »
Page reference, please? ???

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #47 on: 24 February 2023, 17:44:26 »
SSW and MegaMekLab.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 24 February 2023, 17:45:51 »
Neither is 100% rules compliant, so I'm still looking for an actual rule reference there...  8)

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #49 on: 24 February 2023, 17:48:31 »
If I can’t do something I want in any known software, then I just automatically assume I can’t do it on tabletop either.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 24 February 2023, 17:50:06 »
Fair, but you have to acknowledge the software guys are volunteers at this point, and not slavishly keeping up to date (not that they ever achieved 100% rules compliance in the past).

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #51 on: 24 February 2023, 19:24:39 »
Okay, so Lift Hoists *can* be placed in turrets! Yes!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 24 February 2023, 19:31:22 »
Exactly my point!  I've done it myself in designs here... :)

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
SSW and MegaMekLab.

Which version of MegaMekLab? Lift hoists in turrets used to work just fine.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
I'll double check when I get home from work.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
RE: Mining Lasers.

I would make them the same as a Medium Laser with the following caveats:

+2 to hit penalty when used in combat.

+2 bonus for Determining Critical Hits Table when used against immobile targets.

Edit: I also imagine some models would have a variable setting too. Like you can make it do Small Laser heat and damage for finer work.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2023, 09:38:53 by Grand_dm »
Big ideas and gaming outside the box. #Gametavern proprietor. Plus Ultra.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
Let's steal some design concepts from the classes of Deep Rock Galactic. 

From the gunner, we can steal the Anchor Line Deployment System, a rather nasty harpoon gun and tough cable that can be used either to tie the enemy down, or to create a mech-scale zipline.  Attach several to a landed dropship to create Fun on liftoff.  Gunner has guns, what do you expect?

From the Scout, let's steal the Phereomone Canister, for getting the wildlife to do your fighting for you, and the flare gun, because we sure can't steal the grapling hook that lets you attach and zip around like a gremlin.  Scout's not good for ideas either.  Maybe turn the Inhibitor Field generator into a 'annoy PPC users' weapon that treats any target within the field as at minimum range?

Driller, on the other hand can give us several things.  Mech-sized satchel charges for demolitions?  Now you can cause machine gun ammo explosions on anyone you can attach this to, even if they don't have machine gun ammo-just be careful, it has literally 0 armor and any damage can cause an ammo detonation.  The Sludge Pump, for when you want to spray thick sticky acidic goo all over your enemy.  The Colette Wave Cooker, a long-range microwave-based flamer, which...doesn't cause heating to armored units, heats up itself way faster than you are comfortable with, and might be a minor warcrime if used on civilians.  Just use it for defoliating, please!

Finally, we have the Engineer.  Say hello to Star-League era polycrete foam projectors.  Do you want to build UP the terrain, instead of knocking it down?  Do you want to build a shelf a mech can stand on?  Spray fast-setting Polycrete and stand back for 12 seconds as it sets as hard as rock, but is still as light as pumice!  Use it to seal wall breaches, to block passes, or to simply create platforms on flat ground to stand upon.  And with our new shock-absorbing compound, it can even reduce damage caused by falling onto it!  Or mix in xenofauna repellents to funnel native animals away from your construction sites.  Or just...overclock the inertia inhibitors and spray rapidly hardening construction materials onto your foes, you might actually disable them in this way. And moving on, we have other options.  Use a starship-disassembling breach cutter to slice off limbs, if you can get the unweildy monster on-target.  Use a swarm of flying wiring robots to attack your foes!  Deploy ECM lure that generate ghost targets!
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Hazard Pay

• Warrant Officer
I actually had plans for a Grappling Hook, mainly for PA(L) and Light Battle Armor. Medium BA could possibly use it, but not with 1 or more DWP as they're technically overweight when using them. Could be fluffed as another for of Jumpjet for them.

An advantage for them would be they're stealthier compared to normal JJs, and can be sued to pull things closer if need be, possibly even able to deal damage if need be (like 1-damage at best). Gunnery to land the hook, and Piloting rolls for operating it while ascending/descending.

The Zipline isn't far from the Grappling Hook rules, different weight limits for different models of course. Maximum weights would end at Light 'mech grade (20-30 tons) and would mainly be seen with BA and Protos.

Satchels remind me of Roguetech's 'Mech-scale hand-thrown "Grenades", which are fun in of themselves.

The Sludge Pump sounds like a BA/Proto-scale Sprayer.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
Pheromone canister and colette wave cooker? Hard pass. I'll comment on the others later.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
This thread is making me think of a couple things:

Mech-towable disc attachment.  For when you need to make the land arable, but it's on too steep a slope for regular tractor types, and the soil's too shallow for easy terracing.  Think about a world where the only land you have is mountainous, like maybe nothing more than island chains, with very few flat valleys.

On the flip side, say hello to the tractor Mech.  it takes the torso of a mech, (arms not necessary, but can have some function) and saddle it on a vehicle body.  (Think the G-Tank from Gundam)  The purpose for this design is that the turret-like torso can be tilted on sloped angles to keep the 'operator' relatively comfortable and keep the center of gravity relatively centered for operation in sloped environments.

Finally, the mining drill laser might have a high-pressure liquid (water) drill version.  Thought of this a while ago for the guys in the attached image.   
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
Oh.  Is there an UrbanMech grill attachment?

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Argus1348

• Private
If you are lifting weapons up high like that, I'd want to make sure that they had low or zero recoil.  So energy weapons, recoilles rifles, TAG, Recon Cameras, etc.

I think there was once a prototype british tank that lifted it's weapon over a cover. Maybe called "Praying Mantis"? But it did'nt work. Perhaps because of the recoil-issue, you mentioned.

For low-tech items that are not present, I'd simplify it as doubling the heat, mass, and crits of the item for each TL below its availability.

For turrets there is also the option of giving them the "Slow Traverse" design quirk.

So if you wanted a TL D Gauss Rifle and the only version is the Star League TL E Gauss Rifle, then your TL D version would be 2 Heat, 30 tons, and 14 crit slots.  In exchange you get a weapon doing 15 pts of damage at ranges of (2) 7/15/22.  TL C Gauss Rifle would be Heat 4, 60 tons, and 28 crits.

This is a nice idea. There are also rules for prototype weapons in "Interstellar Operations - Alternate Eras" (page 112).

idea weenie

• Major

Mech-towable disc attachment.  For when you need to make the land arable, but it's on too steep a slope for regular tractor types, and the soil's too shallow for easy terracing.  Think about a world where the only land you have is mountainous, like maybe nothing more than island chains, with very few flat valleys.

Would just using a bulldozer + Rock Cutter Mech be a better idea?  Scrape off and save the good topsoil, create terraces, and put the topsoil back on top?

You still won't be able to harvest the plants with a Combine, but if you only use plants that need human attention (i.e. picking strawberries) then the limitation of human-only workers is not an issue

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
Just reading that name makes me think a lot of this will be over the top.   

From the gunner, we can steal the Anchor Line Deployment System, a rather nasty harpoon gun and tough cable that can be used either to tie the enemy down, or to create a mech-scale zipline.  Attach several to a landed dropship to create Fun on liftoff.  Gunner has guns, what do you expect?
Off to a good start, but probably more military than Industrial.

From the Scout, let's steal the Phereomone Canister, for getting the wildlife to do your fighting for you,
What do we look like, druids?

and the flare gun,
Already kinda(?) exists in BattleTech, but a civilian flare gun instead of a special munition seems like a good idea.

because we sure can't steal the grapling hook that lets you attach and zip around like a gremlin.
Maybe not if you're a mech.

Scout's not good for ideas either.  Maybe turn the Inhibitor Field generator into a 'annoy PPC users' weapon that treats any target within the field as at minimum range?
Sounds like a better version of the Blue Shield. I'm on board, but justifying it as industrial rather than military is going to be a hard sell.

Driller, on the other hand can give us several things.  Mech-sized satchel charges for demolitions?  Now you can cause machine gun ammo explosions on anyone you can attach this to, even if they don't have machine gun ammo-just be careful, it has literally 0 armor and any damage can cause an ammo detonation.
I'm on the fence about this one.

The Sludge Pump, for when you want to spray thick sticky acidic goo all over your enemy.
Sprayer and Fluid Gun already have you covered.

The Colette Wave Cooker, a long-range microwave-based flamer, which...doesn't cause heating to armored units, heats up itself way faster than you are comfortable with, and might be a minor warcrime if used on civilians.  Just use it for defoliating, please!
HELL no. Even for defoliation, it's more likely to cause a forest fire than anything else.

Finally, we have the Engineer.  Say hello to Star-League era polycrete foam projectors.  Do you want to build UP the terrain, instead of knocking it down?  Do you want to build a shelf a mech can stand on?  Spray fast-setting Polycrete and stand back for 12 seconds as it sets as hard as rock, but is still as light as pumice!  Use it to seal wall breaches, to block passes, or to simply create platforms on flat ground to stand upon.  And with our new shock-absorbing compound, it can even reduce damage caused by falling onto it!  Or mix in xenofauna repellents to funnel native animals away from your construction sites.  Or just...overclock the inertia inhibitors and spray rapidly hardening construction materials onto your foes, you might actually disable them in this way.
Extensive playtesting required.

And moving on, we have other options.  Use a starship-disassembling breach cutter to slice off limbs, if you can get the unweildy monster on-target.
That has been proposed before...

Use a swarm of flying wiring robots to attack your foes!
That's, uh... Seems more Lancer than BattleTech, but sure, why not? Treat as missiles.

Deploy ECM lure that generate ghost targets!
That is DEFINITELY military. Full stop.

Daemion

• Major
Would just using a bulldozer + Rock Cutter Mech be a better idea?  Scrape off and save the good topsoil, create terraces, and put the topsoil back on top?

You still won't be able to harvest the plants with a Combine, but if you only use plants that need human attention (i.e. picking strawberries) then the limitation of human-only workers is not an issue

What if you don't have the time to make that happen?

idea weenie

• Major
What if you don't have the time to make that happen?

If you don't have the time to make the land arable, then you should be using the bulldozer to make the land defensible so you have the time to make it arable.  If the planting season is short enough, then you basically have to write off the current growing year, and make it arable for the next year.

For a general Disc Harrowing setup, I'd just go with the Combine and state that it covers all agricultural equipment (i.e. all agricultural equipment masses 2.5 tons and takes up 4 crits).  The advantage is that a Planter/Seeder consumes far less of a cargo bay when processing an acre of farmland than a Combine.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
I think some sort of larger Nail-Rivet gun is in order. One that is used to drive massive nails or pieces of rebar into all sorts of asteroids or stone.

In game terms it would be able to deliver its damage to BAR10 targets.

acksed

• Master Sergeant
Winches! The most basic tool of heavy equipment handling, but one I have wanted for a very long time. When I proposed it, I eventually got a message that it had existed (in a non-canon magazine):
[...]there's rules for winches in MechForce Quarterly. Apparently, the rules were that a winch had to be mounted in a turret, and that a winch masses one ton for every twenty tons it was required to pull.
So Light, Medium, Heavy and Ultra-Heavy Winches are available for pulling tanks and mechs out of mud, stump-pulling, bridging and anything else you use a coil of wire rope on a motorised reel for.

The actual rules for dragging, I can't find on cursory inspection.
My Fic: [BattleTech] Not Invented Here - Technological progress is hard when you're all alone in the night... so why not send for help?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I think Lift Hoists are pretty much that.

RifleMech

• Major

On the flip side, say hello to the tractor Mech.  it takes the torso of a mech, (arms not necessary, but can have some function) and saddle it on a vehicle body.  (Think the G-Tank from Gundam)  The purpose for this design is that the turret-like torso can be tilted on sloped angles to keep the 'operator' relatively comfortable and keep the center of gravity relatively centered for operation in sloped environments.

Finally, the mining drill laser might have a high-pressure liquid (water) drill version.  Thought of this a while ago for the guys in the attached image.

Got your Mech Tiller.  ;)

It could make normal terrain into rough.

A cross between a mech and a vehicle could be fun. Some advantages of vehicle and Mech along with their disadvantages.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2023, 06:43:42 by RifleMech »

RifleMech

• Major
Winches! The most basic tool of heavy equipment handling, but one I have wanted for a very long time. When I proposed it, I eventually got a message that it had existed (in a non-canon magazine):So Light, Medium, Heavy and Ultra-Heavy Winches are available for pulling tanks and mechs out of mud, stump-pulling, bridging and anything else you use a coil of wire rope on a motorised reel for.

The actual rules for dragging, I can't find on cursory inspection.

A small winch would be useful for small vehicles that can't mount a 3 ton lift hoist.

Additional hand held tools.
Mech scale shovels for digging.
Mech scale hammer useful for pounding on things without being as heavy as a pile driver.

Leg Clamps/Magnets used to anchor mechs in slippery terrain or low to zero gravity like asteroids and the surface of warships.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2023, 06:48:57 by RifleMech »

idea weenie

• Major
A small winch would be useful for small vehicles that can't mount a 3 ton lift hoist.

You could cheat by using a 1.5 ton Lift Hoist that had only half the capability of the three-ton Lift Hoist.

This way instead of trying to fit a 3-ton Lift Hoist onto a 5-ton vehicle, you fit a 1.5 ton Lift Hoist and accept the lower lift capability.

Hazard Pay

• Warrant Officer
1.5 tons for 25% lift capacity? Sounds doable.

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
Leg Clamps/Magnets used to anchor mechs in slippery terrain or low to zero gravity like asteroids and the surface of warships.
Mech Anchoring System

RifleMech

• Major
You could cheat by using a 1.5 ton Lift Hoist that had only half the capability of the three-ton Lift Hoist.

This way instead of trying to fit a 3-ton Lift Hoist onto a 5-ton vehicle, you fit a 1.5 ton Lift Hoist and accept the lower lift capability.

Sounds reasonable.  :thumbsup:

Mech Anchoring System

Good name  :thumbsup:

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
I believe I made a post about it already. I’ll dig it up later.

Jeyar123

• Corporal
May have missed this elsewhere...

Fisher of mechs: a large pull system of netting - we have a few in universe terrors of the deep. Now use a mech to pull them in - and then try to trap a mech with them. More of a trap/piloting skill impact than damage maybe.

Grounding suit: ESD is the enemy of civilian industries all over the place. Adding grounding suits (often with grounding straps) for civilians has been a solution, why not for an industrial mech doing electrically delicate work it wasn't intended for initially (also the mental image makes me giggle). No idea what to translate that into for mechs, maybe less em noise creation or partial protection from plasma ppc or stealth spoofing?

Crowbar: useful for breaking up walls and lifting heavy stones in the field. Also loads of information about them used in fights - I'd suggest they get a bonus for damage or crits under certain conditions.

Mentally I often try to think of mech as giant people with arthritis, partially tied up and with an inner ear infection - i.e. not too agile unless moving impossibly slowly. So a hammer to break up foundations or hammer in nails to split out large architecture scale stone may be a stretch.

Knife: not a sword or blade or vibro blade all with all the bonuses, but maybe it does what the unit can't by itself. Normally you can't quickly shape trees iron beams or stone, but with the mech knife you can make log cabins reasonably, I beam into mech Punji sticks or stone into Caltrops.

Wheelbarrow: early on, when we had no idea how someone salvaged mechs in this game world, we figured mechs either worked together to carry units back, they used drop ship armor placed the unit on top and the dragged it back or they built mech wheelbarrows (traditionally Asian style instead of European if possible). With these once you got the unit stuffed in it was easy to imagine a 20 finger bringing back assaults. However once they are legal the things carried bloom terrifyingly.

Anyway this was fun. First post back.

Jeyar123

• Corporal
Steal toed boots - the clans develop maybe the best physical weapon. Talons - so maybe a big strong boot can mitigate that a bit. Call it 25% damage to kicks and maybe slightly lighter or aid piloting checks.

Leaf blower - give it ammo of fine dust and you are had to see. Give it charged graphite and maybe you can commit a war crime.

Jugs - it takes a huge amount of energy to make what is in the jog to spill on you, but get into physical range and not only a bonus for one hit damage, you get what was in the jug on the target.

Lasso - myomer lasso that pulls, may take a bit of energy (heat). Tripping and restraining fears.

Mech scale duct tape. Add the mech knife from above and you might have mech scale MacGyver. All those traps in the woods, sticky ammo, attaching ammo to physical weapons (AC 20 on you sword is just a one shot hatchet with fond memories).

Hmmm... All for now.

idea weenie

• Major
Fisher of mechs: a large pull system of netting - we have a few in universe terrors of the deep. Now use a mech to pull them in - and then try to trap a mech with them. More of a trap/piloting skill impact than damage maybe.

Net would be short-ranged if tossed by the Mech, though using a Thunderbolt munition might be possible.  So short-ranged, but a hit means the enemy Mech gets piloting penalties to remain upright depending on how much you beat the TN by?  Maybe a divisor, so beating the TN by 4 or 5 means a 3-pt penalty to enemy Piloting rolls (1 for meeting the TN, 1 for each 2 full pts of beating the TN)

Grounding suit: ESD is the enemy of civilian industries all over the place. Adding grounding suits (often with grounding straps) for civilians has been a solution, why not for an industrial mech doing electrically delicate work it wasn't intended for initially (also the mental image makes me giggle). No idea what to translate that into for mechs, maybe less em noise creation or partial protection from plasma ppc or stealth spoofing?

Mech gets a bonus vs Mech Tasers, at a cost in tonnage?

Crowbar: useful for breaking up walls and lifting heavy stones in the field. Also loads of information about them used in fights - I'd suggest they get a bonus for damage or crits under certain conditions.

Use the rules for a club, mace, or Rock Cutter?

Knife: not a sword or blade or vibro blade all with all the bonuses, but maybe it does what the unit can't by itself. Normally you can't quickly shape trees iron beams or stone, but with the mech knife you can make log cabins reasonably, I beam into mech Punji sticks or stone into Caltrops.

Take a vibrosword, halve the mass and damage for that size of Mech, but give a bonus on the roll to change raw materials into finished goods?  A proper sawmill/cutting frame/stoneshaping facility can do it faster, but sometimes you need the capability in the wild.

Wheelbarrow: early on, when we had no idea how someone salvaged mechs in this game world, we figured mechs either worked together to carry units back, they used drop ship armor placed the unit on top and the dragged it back or they built mech wheelbarrows (traditionally Asian style instead of European if possible). With these once you got the unit stuffed in it was easy to imagine a 20 finger bringing back assaults. However once they are legal the things carried bloom terrifyingly.

Wheeled vehicle, no engine, just structure and cargo capacity?  Pick the max movement speed of the wheelbarrow, and make sure you have enough structure to handle that.  Of course the question then becomes if it would be better to just use a flatbed truck or a CargoMech.
- European wheelbarrow with the wheel in the front would split the cargo weight between the Mech and the wheel, so if a Mech could lift only 10 tons then the max mass of the loaded Wheelbarrow (wheelbarrow and cargo combined) would be 20 tons.
- Chinese Wheelbarrow has the wheel in the center so the load has to be carefully arranged to be symmetrical.  Since most of the weight is resting on the central wheel then the load on the Mech is much lower, meaning the Mech can carry more weight (same Mech could carry 60-120 tons).

Steal toed boots - the clans develop maybe the best physical weapon. Talons - so maybe a big strong boot can mitigate that a bit. Call it 25% damage to kicks and maybe slightly lighter or aid piloting checks.

Extra tonnage in the legs, not sure if proportional to Mech tonnage to get the benefit, or flat benefit per ton (like Mech armor, but mean and Atlas can have BIG STOMPY BOOTS).  Honestly I'd treat it as Patchwork Armor, using Hardened armor in the Legs.

Leaf blower - give it ammo of fine dust and you are had to see. Give it charged graphite and maybe you can commit a war crime.

Vehicle grenade launchers firing smoke or chemical rounds would be a good way to simulate this.

Jugs - it takes a huge amount of energy to make what is in the jog to spill on you, but get into physical range and not only a bonus for one hit damage, you get what was in the jug on the target.

Cargo tonnage and a Fluid Cannon could simulate this.  Unless you are thinking Mech-scale Bucket Brigade?

Lasso - myomer lasso that pulls, may take a bit of energy (heat). Tripping and restraining fears.

Similar to the Net above, but lower tonnage and needs more piloting skill?

Mech scale duct tape. Add the mech knife from above and you might have mech scale MacGyver. All those traps in the woods, sticky ammo, attaching ammo to physical weapons (AC 20 on you sword is just a one shot hatchet with fond memories).

This one I have no idea how to model.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Concrete/Ferrocrete mixer (vehicle mounted).  What's it for? pouring quikset Ferrocrete over a bunker's exits and it stops being a fighting position and becomes a tomb.

also good for firming up earthworks.

'mech Scale Sandbags! Improvised fortification on the go, and cheap.  (*also good for shoring up earthworks to contain or prevent flooding).

Sandblaster/media blaster: good for removing paint and resistant coatings, polishing surfaces, and frosting ferroglas to inhibit vision and permanently screw up sensors.

Welding rig.  Not the cutter torch, this is the thing that JOINS the metal plates./armor plates, lays a bead at melee ranges and on a critical hit can damage actuators or paralyze limbs...but god the heat load...(also requires ammunition, aka 'welding rod or wire-feed')

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Jeyar123

• Corporal
*slap face* - mech helmet.

Mech punk jacket (with spikes).

I almost said mech scale atl-atl, but that seems too likely to require more agility than the mech has.

On the other hand since we have the flail, why not the chakram (basic throw only) and myomer launched slingshots...

Oops - industrial equipment. Oddly enough maybe an exosuit? I mean stories like "the mech touch" have mech inside mechs so...

Mech harness pulling a mech wagon - free the hands.

You know, Building a city INSIDE a mech scale Warehouse picker would be terrifying to anyone who entered without destroying it first. Those things can take out a forklift already.  :o

I suppose mech scale forklifts would be silly, but is SO close to allowing me something that can do a charge with horn looking things on it.  >:D

You know, looking at some of the special environment rules, maybe an expansion of the ESD suit to environmental defence may be better, even with enc. slowing you down.

Large towel to safely scrape off enemy BA? No don't do the dance!

I love the mech scale sand bags. They really do sound good. :thumbsup:

Shovel was already out too, keep cycling back to it as so useful in different situations.

The mech scale duct tape too, its too useful in odd ways. Mech are weirdly weak in a way vs. the pull strengths of ropes and fabrics.

Saw another with hammer earlier too now. Didn't mean to miss it then.

Mech ladder - I've been trapped in pits (and trapped others) too often. If a world is known for broken terrain, and I have too much of my force without jump jets, it may be better to have a unit dedicated to moving this than attacking.

Had a terrible image involving mech scale packing peanuts, so should probably just quit now.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
\
Had a terrible image involving mech scale packing peanuts, so should probably just quit now.

The static electricity from that much styrofoam could kill...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

RifleMech

• Major
With the net, I'd go with the Mech throwing distances. The larger the net the greater chance of entangling a mech or capturing a vehicle. The chance of success would be some kind of formula of who's piloting skill is greater vs chance of entanglement. There'd also need to be modifiers for size and motive type. It'd be easier to catch a hover vehicle than a tracked vehicle or a light mech with a large net vs an assault mech with a small one.

For the knife, I'd just go with the retractable blade minus the retraction mechanism. I wouldn't give any bonuses to finished products though. Not unless you're trying for a mech scale carving.

Wheelbarrows. The Chinese one is pretty cool. There's also a wheelbarrow with two wheels in the middle, one on each side but I'm not sure what it's called. I would build them as trailers. European types would depend on the mechs lifting capacity. The Chinese types would be double that. Single wheels would also have a Piloting skill modifier if they're not balanced.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
I think a Car Crusher is in order. From Wikipedia:

A car crusher is an industrial device used to reduce the dimensions of derelict (depreciated) cars prior to transport for recycling.

Historically, because scrap cars were too big and bulky to transport to the sites that turned them into reusable material, and the cost to transport them was uneconomical because, at times, it would cost more to send it than the car was worth, because transportation costs were determined by weight. Since uncrushed cars were less dense and took up more space, even for a short haul, the scrap cars were worth less than it cost to deliver them.

Cars can be crushed either dropping heavy weights onto them, using an excavator bucket or mechanical grab, but these means can be time consuming and produces inconsistent scrap sizes, which necessitates the need for a dedicated machine. Some scrap yards, still employ these more rudimentary methods where they do not own a dedicated car crushing machine.

A mobile version was invented in the 90s.

I think this would be a cool way to wreck vehicles even in combat.

idea weenie

• Major

A car crusher is an industrial device used to reduce the dimensions of derelict (depreciated) cars prior to transport for recycling.

Historically, because scrap cars were too big and bulky to transport to the sites that turned them into reusable material, and the cost to transport them was uneconomical because, at times, it would cost more to send it than the car was worth, because transportation costs were determined by weight. Since uncrushed cars were less dense and took up more space, even for a short haul, the scrap cars were worth less than it cost to deliver them.

Cars can be crushed either dropping heavy weights onto them, using an excavator bucket or mechanical grab, but these means can be time consuming and produces inconsistent scrap sizes, which necessitates the need for a dedicated machine. Some scrap yards, still employ these more rudimentary methods where they do not own a dedicated car crushing machine.

A mobile version was invented in the 90s.

If you have time and available space to bring a mobile car crusher to a fight location, that means the opponent cannot oppose you for a decent period of time.  I'd also assume you are a raiding force, where your technicians don't have enough time to strip the vehicles for useful components.

In that case I'd expect your force to use Small Lasers or similar energy weapons to just melt and destroy the vehicles, or a jumping Mech to 'Mario' the captured vehicles.

Car crushers might be more efficient in terms of power used per vehicle destroyed, but they would be slower and less flexible than an array of weak lasers.

You also have to consider that car crushers are working on civilian vehicles that have relatively little internal structure, compared to an armored vehicle.  Consider how effective would a car crusher be vs a Bradley

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya

You also have to consider that car crushers are working on civilian vehicles that have relatively little internal structure, compared to an armored vehicle.  Consider how effective would a car crusher be vs a Bradley

In the 31st century, I would hope they would crush one easily.

RifleMech

• Major

(snip)

Wouldn't that be Mech steps on vehicle?

Jeyar123

• Corporal
What about industrial rollers? Even the cheep ones at work can support multiple tons (somehow) without collapse. Even better you hit a button and everything locks in place (red button cuts all power). Scale it up and make it remotely controlled and when an ally walks across it has friction, but an enemy has to fend against vectored rolling underneath, random low friction or maybe button mash special.

Ball bearings on concrete may be cheaper, but these are contained and allow for ally getting out of a jam.
-------
Also I keep getting an image in my head of those slaughterhouse hooks and mechs on them, but I can't see how to make it work...

RifleMech

• Major
What about industrial rollers? Even the cheep ones at work can support multiple tons (somehow) without collapse. Even better you hit a button and everything locks in place (red button cuts all power). Scale it up and make it remotely controlled and when an ally walks across it has friction, but an enemy has to fend against vectored rolling underneath, random low friction or maybe button mash special.

Ball bearings on concrete may be cheaper, but these are contained and allow for ally getting out of a jam.
-------
Also I keep getting an image in my head of those slaughterhouse hooks and mechs on them, but I can't see how to make it work...

Would rollers be like the big conveyor belts used to unload dropships? Other than loading and unloading faster, I'm not sure how they could be used.

With the slaughter house hooks the mechs could be in side a building or cave/tunnel system with the hooks moving about on the ceiling. Like a lift hoist. Roll to see if the mech of vehicle hits one. If it does, roll again to see if it gets hooked, damaged, or no effect. If hooked, next turn roll again to see it unhooked. Repeat until free.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
Wouldn't that be Mech steps on vehicle?

A super-sized piece of industrial equipment designed to crush things could still exist.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Deep Drill
A drill that can go through multiple hexes of rock.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

idea weenie

• Major
A super-sized piece of industrial equipment designed to crush things could still exist.

It likely does exist, probably more efficient power-wise than using a Mech as Mario, but the equipment might not be practical to bring along in a combat situation.  Compare it to an ER room vs an ambulance.  The ER room is better in every way than an ambulance, but is not practical to put in a mobile platform.

Deep Drill
A drill that can go through multiple hexes of rock.

That is 30 meters per hex, when a Mech is ~12 meters tall.  This would likely be something assembled on-site, or use the existing rules from these and have the unit follow the drilled hole:
BA-scale Drill
Mech-scale Drill
Mech-scale Rock Cutter

The other option is drilling vertically where each level is only 6 meters tall, but even then you'd likely be using attaching segments one after another.  At this point I'd be tempted to grab rules for Industrial Rules to simulate that, and design a vehicle with that much cargo capacity.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
That is 30 meters per hex, when a Mech is ~12 meters tall.  This would likely be something assembled on-site, or use the existing rules from these and have the unit follow the drilled hole:
BA-scale Drill
Mech-scale Drill
Mech-scale Rock Cutter

The other option is drilling vertically where each level is only 6 meters tall, but even then you'd likely be using attaching segments one after another.  At this point I'd be tempted to grab rules for Industrial Rules to simulate that, and design a vehicle with that much cargo capacity.
It is really no problem, either a self assembly system that swiftly add/removes segments or having a long flexible body that can be rolled up.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
A MASH is totally mobile, and also totally an ER by today's standards.  Don't discount technology advancement!  :)

idea weenie

• Major
It is really no problem, either a self assembly system that swiftly add/removes segments or having a long flexible body that can be rolled up.

Ah.  I was thinking you meant a single piece that would drill multiple hexes (i.e. a Mech carrying a 30-meter long drill bit)

A MASH is totally mobile, and also totally an ER by today's standards.  Don't discount technology advancement!  :)

That same tech advancement would also apply to an actual ER in a building, so the comparison should still stand.

Phantom000

• Corporal
Well if you 'battlemech recovery vehicles' then you would likely have 'industrial mech recovery vehicles' which probably would not be that different from the military models, even industrial mechs can weigh up to 80 tons. Still, if recovery vehicles can come in wheeled, tracked and hover variants, has anyone built a legged variant? A 'mech' recovery mech' if you will. It would be like the industrial-mech version of a flatbed pickup truck, a big metal platform with cargo straps and winches and probably using a quad-mech chassis for stability. I could see a smaller version being used as a personnel transport, like an APC with legs.

Also what about underwater? Operating on the ocean floor would require either new industrial mech designs or specialized variants of existing designs.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Now THAT is something I hadn't thought of before! ;D

Broken_Metal_Dreaming

• Private
Salvage mechs with lift hoists exist already.

Just read up on the trenching machines being used in Eastern Europe right now. Approximately 3 minutes to dig a 5 foot deep infantry sized trench 30 meters long with our current tech level. So, could a future tech combat engineering vehicle build earthworks on a total warfare round timescale. Seems more feasible than I expected.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Trench/Fieldworks Combat Engineers (TO: AUE page 153, OG TacOps page 341) can do it in three TW turns (30 seconds), so I'd think a machine would be able to do it at least that fast. :)

RifleMech

• Major

There could be a drill that has extenders as ammo. Drill 6 meters a turn, reload, drill another 6 meters.

Well if you 'battlemech recovery vehicles' then you would likely have 'industrial mech recovery vehicles' which probably would not be that different from the military models, even industrial mechs can weigh up to 80 tons. Still, if recovery vehicles can come in wheeled, tracked and hover variants, has anyone built a legged variant? A 'mech' recovery mech' if you will. It would be like the industrial-mech version of a flatbed pickup truck, a big metal platform with cargo straps and winches and probably using a quad-mech chassis for stability. I could see a smaller version being used as a personnel transport, like an APC with legs.

Also what about underwater? Operating on the ocean floor would require either new industrial mech designs or specialized variants of existing designs.

May I introduce you to the Uni Cargo Mech?  :grin:
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Uni  When I first saw it, I thought of doing all of what you said. I still think it should do all of what you said.  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #100 on: 28 August 2023, 17:34:12 »
There could be a drill that has extenders as ammo. Drill 6 meters a turn, reload, drill another 6 meters.
*snip*
And after every ton of extenders, you have to withdraw the bit and replace it... ;)

Phantom000

• Corporal
« Reply #101 on: 05 September 2023, 18:25:11 »
May I introduce you to the Uni Cargo Mech?  :grin:
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Uni  When I first saw it, I thought of doing all of what you said. I still think it should do all of what you said.  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Cargo capacity of 17 tons? That seems kinda light considering a BRV of comparable weight can transport a 100 ton battlemech. I guess its the difference between engineering a conventional vehicle to carry the weight versus engineering a mech to carry it. Still, I guess you could always scale it up, make something like a 100 ton Uni that could carry up to a 50 ton mech?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #102 on: 05 September 2023, 18:29:51 »
That's 17 tons without a movement penalty, I believe.  It can carry more.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 07 September 2023, 21:30:16 »
That's 17 tons without a movement penalty, I believe.  It can carry more.

It does have Lift Hoists which on a 70-ton platform means it can carry up to half its mass (70 tons -> 35 tons) with no penalty.  With two Lift Hoists since each Lift Hoist can carry up to half the mounting unit's mass this means the Uni can carry up to 70 tons total at a speed 2/3 its normal.

That would be an interesting set of math, where you look at total cargo tonnage carried multiplied by the Walking speed.  What are some optimal designs that give the highest Cargo_Tons*Walking_speed?  The Uni would be either 156 Walk-tons ([17+35]*3) or 174 Walk-tons ([17+70)*2).

If upgraded with industrial TSM it could carry cargo up to twice its mass at a 2-pt penalty to its Walking speed, or 157 Walk-tons ([17+140]*1).  My math might be off on the Ind_TSM design, can someone check it please?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #104 on: 08 September 2023, 03:15:33 »
I'll look after work if no one else has gotten to it by then.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #105 on: 10 September 2023, 17:29:31 »
It does have Lift Hoists which on a 70-ton platform means it can carry up to half its mass (70 tons -> 35 tons) with no penalty.  With two Lift Hoists since each Lift Hoist can carry up to half the mounting unit's mass this means the Uni can carry up to 70 tons total at a speed 2/3 its normal.

That would be an interesting set of math, where you look at total cargo tonnage carried multiplied by the Walking speed.  What are some optimal designs that give the highest Cargo_Tons*Walking_speed?  The Uni would be either 156 Walk-tons ([17+35]*3) or 174 Walk-tons ([17+70)*2).

If upgraded with industrial TSM it could carry cargo up to twice its mass at a 2-pt penalty to its Walking speed, or 157 Walk-tons ([17+140]*1).  My math might be off on the Ind_TSM design, can someone check it please?

Those lift hoists do make a difference.  :smiley: 

Using House Rules, a Uni could carry a platoon of techs and a platoon of exoskeletons to help salvage damaged and disabled units.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #106 on: 10 September 2023, 17:35:36 »
The cargo rules were tweaked in the latest errata... I'm still trying to wrap my head around them.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #107 on: 23 September 2023, 09:02:45 »
Mech Costumes!

I apologize for having lost track of the thread, but I think it stands to reason that costumes and animatronics on a large scale might be considered industrial equipment.

While this thought was inspired by seeing a few mini mods down on the miniatures board, I quickly recalled the thermal suit in Fang of the Sun: Dougram for the arctic forces to protect their machines against extreme cold while in general inactivity.   

I bet a wet-suit style version could be derived for industrials that are not normally sealed against water/harsh environments.  (Mech Waders for crossing streams after a night of flash flooding.)

And, then there are the robodragons that get showcased at many a fair or dirby event. 

So, yeah.  Costumes!

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
*severe coughing noises*
I live!

Sorry for my long absence. I got pulled into family drama, moved out, lost my job, got sick, that sort of stuff.

Here's the link to the thread on the Mech Anchoring System, as promised.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=80579.msg1911951#msg1911951

I've also got a few more proposals...
- Maglev vehicles: A side-grade to conventional hovercraft. Faster, more energy efficient, easier to pilot, significantly quieter, safer for bystanders, and they can theoretically operate in vacuum... But they have a huge downside: They only work on compatible terrain, no exceptions. For this reason, they are not even remotely suitable for battlefield use. (As a second downside, they also have a lower tonnage limit.)
- Multi-armed mechs: You can thank somebody else for this. I'll get in touch with them and we can write up a separate thread.
- Lumber microwave: A giant machine that microwaves lumber. If you stick conventional infantry in it, they die pretty much immediately.
- Waste compactor: Similar to the previously proposed car crusher, but perhaps a bit more generalized.
- Supercritical oxidation tank: Shove stuff in here to make it go away.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2024, 05:22:24 by Lycanphoenix »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Real life always wins, no worries! :)

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
I'm just gonna steal this...
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=71106.0

Winches! We need Winches in the game.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
You could argue Lift Hoists are "winches"... ;)

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
I'd prefer winches being their own thing. Using lift hoists as a proxy for almost literally everything is getting old.

idea weenie

• Major
I'd prefer winches being their own thing. Using lift hoists as a proxy for almost literally everything is getting old.

How would a Winch differ from a Lift Hoist, rules-wise?

Register