Author Topic: Blank Mechs  (Read 7737 times)

Khell

• Master Sergeant
Blank Mechs
« on: 05 November 2013, 16:11:49 »
Has IWM ever considered making Battletech miniatures that aren't from the TROs?

One of the coolest things about Battletech is the ability to design your own mechs, vehicles, warships, and whatnot.  But in the almost 30 years of this game's existence, us players have had to look outside the game to create miniatures for non-canon units.  Everything from anime toys to miniatures from competing games have been used to fill a niche for non-canon designs.

Has nobody ever put much thought into making even just a small selection of never-before-seen designs for Mechs and/or other units?  Some nameless, stat-less mechs for players to assemble from a couple parts options and make into their own creations...  To me, it seems like this should have been the very first thing Ral Partha should have printed when first they began working with Fasa, yet here we are decades later and still nothing.

I could see this working two ways (neither excluding the other).

A) Make individual complete designs.  Just a blister of one complete mech known as Design-it-Yourself #01, or something like (or maybe just a IWM product code and no name at all).

B) Make some modular parts and sell a package.  A boxed lance or star wherein you get 4/5 torsos, each of which can fit onto any of the 4/5 included pairs of legs.  8/10 arms, some of which are matched L/R pairs, some which are reversible side-to-side like a Viking or Rifleman's, and a couple odds-and-ends.  Again, make the connecting pegs or sockets universal between the set, and top off the kit with a couple pod weapons to put on the arms, shoulders or torsos.

If you made the boxed set all based around an average "medium mech" size, some pieces a bit lankier, some bulkier, that could really work.  After all, the Whitworth (40T) and Hatamoto (80T) miniatures are almost identical in size.

Alternate B) Start cheap and simple...tanks.  Well, vehicles.
The "Heavy APC" miniatures are awesome because it's the same hull, and just different sides for the wheels, treads, or skirt.  Using that sort of thinking, maybe try this non-TRO unit idea with some tanks.  Give us a small boxed lance of customizable tanks.  Design one unique hull, two options for motive power (say treads and wheels) that can be interchanged the way the Heavy APCs did, and do up three different turrets.  Box four hulls, four sets of treads and four sets of wheels, plus two of each turret.  Slap in a couple small extras (some SRM/LRM pods, a couple small gun barrels or sponsons, and/or an antennae/electronics module) and call it a day.

If this works out, try a new set with hover/wheel options on a new hull, or a heavier tank that has two different track designs...  There is literally no limit, and you can start small to test the waters.

Now to cover some obligatory criticism before it's even made...

Sculpting isn't free.  And IWM has a huge backlog of canon units not yet sculpted.
True, but someone at IWM one day decided that sculpting such niche-use units like the Great Turtle or Copperhead would be worth their time.  Keep in mind that these are Solaris Arena designs, not meant for play in actual Battletech wars, and not even tournament legal.  If IWM can spare time and resources for that, well, why not this?

This wouldn't sell.
Really?  You know that for sure?
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I also know that nobody is some special snowflake with tastes and opinions completely different from everyone around them.  If I like this idea, others will too.  Maybe enough to make it possible, maybe not.  And I for one would rather shovel my money towards IWM for my custom mech and kitbashing needs, rather than to Dreampod 9, Reaper, or (ugh) those Steel Warriors plastics.

In order to sculpt something, you need something to work from.
So draw something.  Or pay to have something drawn.  Hell, involve Catalyst, maybe even have them get the artwork done up right and have them sneak these new "mystery" designs into some sourcebooks.

Why do you keep making these long-winded threads demanding things?
I have disposable income and a long list of things I want that don't yet exist.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
Re: Blank Mechs
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2013, 19:53:03 »
I know at least two stores have had IWM produce custom mechs. The Gauntlet from Exodus Road was one of them. I remember they had to order a minimum amount but can't remember how many (I recall 300 for some reason). I don't remember who had the other one. That was close to 8 or 9 years ago.

I would think that the omni parts would be a guide. If they sell great, I'm sure IWM would be receptive to something like this. In all honesty I think something like this would only proceed on the back of the omni parts project. Base weapons in arms are already created. Add a new torso or two and create new arms as needed.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2013, 03:49:23 »
All you have to do is check out the "Miniatures" Threads of any of the various BT boards (including this one), to see examples of 'Mechs that don't exist in any "Official" TRO.  People are always taking various arms, legs and other bits and creating their own minis.  I haven't noticed it done with vehicles (either land or Aero), but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done.  I've never tried MY hand at it, but I've seen the potential in several different pieces in the past.  As you've pointed out, IWM has a HUGE backlog of minis to make, so I don't see them even considering this for quite a while yet.  I for one Hope they don't!  I'd MUCH rather they work on the 'Mech and vee Backlog than spend any time and effort on such a (dare I say it?) "Niche" project.  Then again, I felt it was a Huge waste of their time and effort to sculpt various "different" soldier/troop figures also, even though they were fan-funded.

@cavingjan - The other 'Mech you're thinking of might be the Ranger, for sale from BVTraders.  I think the Ranger is still available, but the last I heard, Exodus Road Hobbies was sold a few years ago and the new owner kept things running for a while, then stopped filling orders.  As far as I know, ERH was the only place that sold the Gauntlet (not counting second-hand sales of course), so the chances of getting any new ones are pretty slim these days, unfortunately.  :-\
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2013, 05:46:18 »
Khell, I like Your idea. I used the em4 proxies for this, as this seems to be the closest in idea to what You have.

Still, the ability to have MODELS of chassis' (even only canon ones), armor types, weapons and equipment done separately on sprues and other equipment would be great. I would not even expect from these models to have plugs or anything like that - IWM miniatures don't have it either.

SteveUK

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2013, 07:14:57 »
This is available  in a simple form from IWM now, they will upon request sell any part of any mech/vehical you want - just make a list of the parts and build your custom from there.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2013, 07:54:35 »
I know at least two stores have had IWM produce custom mechs. The Gauntlet from Exodus Road was one of them.

I've got three of these myself out of a batch of 200 and they are sweet looking. Still haven't painted them though.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2013, 10:50:30 »
All you have to do is check out the "Miniatures" Threads of any of the various BT boards (including this one), to see examples of 'Mechs that don't exist in any "Official" TRO.  People are always taking various arms, legs and other bits and creating their own minis.

To be clear, what you describe is a Kitbash, and is not what I was suggesting.  Taking parts from existing mechs to make a cobblejob creation is not the same thing as wanting a couple new designs with no stats, name, or history.  Putting a Dire Wolf torso onto a different set of legs will still always look (and feel) like a Dire Wolf.  But to have a nameless sculpt that no house/clan/faction has ever seen, and be able to create your own record sheet, history, and availability for it.  The game lets you do this, but we have always lacked the miniatures for such.  And not everybody (somewhat closer on the scale to nobody, in fact) has the skill to sculpt their own miniature from scratch.  Moreover, there are people like me who do not like to proxy, and are willing to spend the money for quality miniatures.

I for one Hope they don't!  I'd MUCH rather they work on the 'Mech and vee Backlog than spend any time and effort on such a (dare I say it?) "Niche" project.  Then again, I felt it was a Huge waste of their time and effort to sculpt various "different" soldier/troop figures also, even though they were fan-funded.

That is an opinion you are entitled to.  My opinion is that they should throw away everything in the canon past 3060, and stop wasting time sculpting Dark Age and RotS miniatures.  Opinions are fun, but ultimately don't mean squat. Business is business; IWM and CGL both are going to do what makes business sense.  It made sense to them to sculpt those fan-funded figures.  I personally bought a handful, as did others.  Just because you don't like the idea, or them "wasting their time" on such, doesn't mean it was a bad idea.  Likewise, if my original suggestion for mech blanks hits the right person's ears, they may try it.  Or maybe not.  But that will be a decision based on financial possibilities versus investment cost, and them making an educated guess as to how many people would buy such a product.

Khell, I like Your idea. I used the em4 proxies for this, as this seems to be the closest in idea to what You have.

Still, the ability to have MODELS of chassis' (even only canon ones), armor types, weapons and equipment done separately on sprues and other equipment would be great. I would not even expect from these models to have plugs or anything like that - IWM miniatures don't have it either.

Glad to find someone who likewise thinks there is potential in this idea.
To clarify re: the "plugs" (or as I called them, "pegs / sockets") -- I wasn't suggesting they actually have plug-like connectors, just that most arms/legs are designed with a bump/nub or a ball/socket styling so that they fit on the right place, and multi-part torsos have similar (Dire Wolf's legs have the peg, torso has the slot) mounting points.  The idea is that whatever they use be universal to all four designs so that any arms fit on any torso, etc.

This is available  in a simple form from IWM now, they will upon request sell any part of any mech/vehical you want - just make a list of the parts and build your custom from there.

Again, not the same thing (see my comments to Cavingjan above).

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2013, 11:51:45 »
Universal joints only work when all chassis are the same size or nearly the same size like your average mobile suit in gundam. Trying to make shoulders that would work on something Commando-sized and Atlas-sized is just going to bring heartbreak, not to mention the parts clearance issues.

That being said, there are several people having a go at making independent non-battletech original designs.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2013, 12:31:30 »

I have disposable income

This would appear to be your answer. Find some artists willing and able to do the work. Get estimates on what it would all cost. If you're up to footing that bill, approach IWM with your idea. If they're cool with it, then start the process of getting things done. All along the way, recognize that even after you've put in substantial amounts of time and money, it may not come to fruition, or you may experience significant delays or setbacks. If you dearly want a project like this, and don't understand why IWM hasn't done it, then the onus is on you to work through it. It's not on IWM to listen to your wishlist.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2013, 12:44:18 »
Why limit yourself by what would be possible with just a limited selection of 'blank Mechs'? If you have disposable income, commission someone who can sculpt a mini accurately matching your stats.

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2013, 12:44:43 »
Honestly, I like the idea.  Basic generic body parts....legs, arms, torso, heads.  Toss in a blister of guns, missiles, lasers then add some glue, putty and time and you have a personal mech.  Great idea.  Yes, you can get many miscelanous parts from the site and cobble up your own.  But some would like to just have some "bones" to start with and do the rest themselves.  I like the idea.
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2013, 13:36:22 »
Universal joints only work when all chassis are the same size or nearly the same size like your average mobile suit in gundam. Trying to make shoulders that would work on something Commando-sized and Atlas-sized is just going to bring heartbreak, not to mention the parts clearance issues.

That's why for the project I suggested, all parts be made with compatibility in mind, and within a set size range.  It would be pointless to make a modular mech kit that covered everything from 20T lights to 100T heavies.  No, instead you start with one kit of "medium" size.  Four sets of parts that are more or less supposed to be a medium mech.  But there would be one torso that is beefier than the others, one more skinny, and with the right choice in legs/arms, you could consider it a heavier light, or a lighter heavy.

This would appear to be your answer. Find some artists willing and able to do the work. Get estimates on what it would all cost. If you're up to footing that bill, approach IWM with your idea. If they're cool with it, then start the process of getting things done. All along the way, recognize that even after you've put in substantial amounts of time and money, it may not come to fruition, or you may experience significant delays or setbacks. If you dearly want a project like this, and don't understand why IWM hasn't done it, then the onus is on you to work through it. It's not on IWM to listen to your wishlist.

Well, first and foremost, disposable income does not mean unlimited disposable income.  Pushing a hundred dollars every couple months into a hobby is not the same as commissioning a sculptor and a metal caster for thousands of dollars.

Second, if I did have that kind of money to throw around, I wouldn't put it towards this...I'd find someone to resculpt the original Unseen and print me off an army of Warhammers and Battlemasters in new poses nobody else has.  After all, I'm in no way bound by Fasa/CGL's lawsuit with Harmony Gold, and such would be legal for personal private use.  Blank mechs would rock, but nothing rocks more than the original unseen.

Lastly, it is just an idea.  I'm not holding a gun to IWM's head and saying they must do this.  I doubt anyone from IWM will even give this the time of day.  But maybe they do, and maybe someone there likes the idea and looks into whether or not it would work/sell.  It hurts nobody to propose ideas, and every now and then one of them DOES happen.  Nerf has had a major resurgence in sales/popularity because someone at Hasbro looked at their toy line and said "What if we made the blasters magazine-fed, like real guns".  The N-Strike line was born, and sales of Nerf skyrocketed.  Behold the power of a simple idea.

Honestly, I like the idea.  Basic generic body parts....legs, arms, torso, heads.  Toss in a blister of guns, missiles, lasers then add some glue, putty and time and you have a personal mech.  Great idea.  Yes, you can get many miscelanous parts from the site and cobble up your own.  But some would like to just have some "bones" to start with and do the rest themselves.  I like the idea.

EXACTLY!  We have a hundred pairs of legs, twice that number of arms, and a smattering of extra weapons and add-ons, but no framework - no bones - from which to build.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2013, 13:42:22 »

There are already plenty of parts, and these parts can be altered with a bit of work.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2013, 16:20:00 »
To be clear, what you describe is a Kitbash, and is not what I was suggesting.  Taking parts from existing mechs to make a cobblejob creation is not the same thing as wanting a couple new designs with no stats, name, or history.  Putting a Dire Wolf torso onto a different set of legs will still always look (and feel) like a Dire Wolf.  But to have a nameless sculpt that no house/clan/faction has ever seen, and be able to create your own record sheet, history, and availability for it.  The game lets you do this, but we have always lacked the miniatures for such.  And not everybody (somewhat closer on the scale to nobody, in fact) has the skill to sculpt their own miniature from scratch.  Moreover, there are people like me who do not like to proxy, and are willing to spend the money for quality miniatures.

I've seen a few "kitbash" minis, where someone took a torso and turned it so when they were finished, you didn't recognize where the torso came from.  As I've said, I have ZERO Skills at Modding/Sculpting, so I'm like you in that I have to let the Creative Artists make the minis.  As SteveUK points out, IWM will sell you pretty much any parts you want, but the Problem is you need to have seen the "naked" mini already, to know what you want.  That is, you need to have seen it unpainted and unassembled, in order to have an idea as to how the parts look.   :-\   At the beginning of the year, Speck was going to take pictures of all the various parts available in the Scrap Yard and post them up.  While his Project has been delayed somewhat, the problem is that there are parts that AREN'T available in the Scrap Yard that you would need pictures of also.  Specifically, the WoB Celestial Omnimech bits, for one example.  Again, what you're wanting IS currently Possible, but it's nowhere near as easy as you're wanting it to be.   :-\   With IWM's current backlog, I don't see it getting any easier either.  I'd imagine their sales would have to increase DRAMATICALLY in order for them to be able to hire more sculptors.

And yeah, I know what "Opinions" are like and all that.  :D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2013, 17:00:23 »
I suspect in the long run what you want won't be possible. For different reasons than what you think. I suspect any blank minis that are done will eventually find their way into a TRO and will no longer be an unknown mech.

Spector

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Sunlight is vastly overrated!
« Reply #15 on: 06 November 2013, 21:27:33 »
How big do you think IWM really is? I am dead serious on that question. The are totally maxed out as is with their official CGL stuff  plus the other lines they produce. Not saying it is a bad idea, just not practical considering their limited, but well used, resources.
*Insert clever saying/quote here*

Agent #333

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #16 on: 06 November 2013, 21:50:26 »
I always thought 'blank Mechs' were the ones that creatively "fell off the back of the dropship"...  >:D

"Where did you get that Vulture?" *answered with a blank stare and silence*
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: 06 November 2013, 22:50:01 »
Well, first and foremost, disposable income does not mean unlimited disposable income.  Pushing a hundred dollars every couple months into a hobby is not the same as commissioning a sculptor and a metal caster for thousands of dollars.

Likewise, IWM being able to make a few bucks on something like this doesn't mean it's something they could turn a profit on if they chose to do it on their own. I see this as being very much like the infantry and other peripheral units; it's okay when people step up and put money towards it, defraying much of the cost, but for IWM to do it on their own would be a losing proposition. With fan-financed pieces, the people who were willing and able (or were able to assemble a group capable of covering the cost) to foot the bill for a special pet project got to see it come to light.

Second, if I did have that kind of money to throw around, I wouldn't put it towards this...

Okay then.

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 07 November 2013, 11:56:40 »
I suspect in the long run what you want won't be possible. For different reasons than what you think. I suspect any blank minis that are done will eventually find their way into a TRO and will no longer be an unknown mech.

Possibly, but not definitely.
Humoring the idea of this ever being tried, if the blank mech idea was a success on its own, it would likely continue as blanks.  But if sales weren't up to par, they would probably make an "official" design out of it, and roll it into a TRO to shift more units.

How big do you think IWM really is? I am dead serious on that question. The are totally maxed out as is with their official CGL stuff  plus the other lines they produce. Not saying it is a bad idea, just not practical considering their limited, but well used, resources.

Best guess...?
I'd say perhaps ten employees total, not counting freelance sculptors.  (Now you've got me curious as to how close I hit the mark)
In rebuttal, I would also ask why this at all matters.

Whether they could sculpt twelve new products a year, or twelve a month, there is never enough manpower or resources to cover everything that everybody wants.  Battletech is just too big, and it keeps growing, there is no end on the horizon where they will say "okay, we've got it all covered, now on to the fan projects".

Even still, they made those resin buildings, didn't they.  And the map-scale dropships.  And the fan-financing projects, the Kickstarter Wobbie celestials, not to mention a literal fleet of new Aerotech/Battlespace options.  If IWM thinks something is worth the time and effort, they find a way to squeeze it in amongst all the other "must-do" items.  And if IWM or the fans believe something to be a good enough idea, someone would fund it.

Is my Blank Mech idea worth squeezing in, probably not.  Never for a second did I think it would actually become a reality, but it was a fun idea to mull over and I figured there would be far more people of similar mind, who would like the concept and contribute their own thoughts.  My bad, I guess...

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 07 November 2013, 16:03:06 »
Possibly, but not definitely.
Humoring the idea of this ever being tried, if the blank mech idea was a success on its own, it would likely continue as blanks.  But if sales weren't up to par, they would probably make an "official" design out of it, and roll it into a TRO to shift more units.

So if I understand what you are saying is if it is selling well they will just keep selling it as is, but if it is not selling well they will make it official? Why would they roll it in to a TRO if it is not selling well?

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 07 November 2013, 16:36:37 »
Again, as with any business, it all boils down to Money.  Not only would they need to make a Profit, they also need the cash Up Front to START the Project.  The fan-funded items INCLUDE a lot of the "literal fleet of new Aerotech/Battlespace options", by the way.  That's MY understanding of it anyway.  The Kickstarter WOB LAMs?  Funded by the Kickstarter Project, so again, they're essentially "Fan Funded", but on a larger, more publicized scale.  So IWM had the money from the Fan-Financed AND Kickstarter Projects BEFORE they devoted a second (or a dime) towards any of them.

Basically, if you want this Project "Green Lighted" badly enough, you'll Probably have to fund it yourself.   :-\  Since the Fan Funding Project is currently On Hold until IWM can get caught up on the FF Backlog, your Project would probably have to wait for that same reason.  Again, if you want it done badly enough, I'd suggest contacting Mike Noe at IWM directly.  Since the Thunderbolt IIC cost me $800.00 to have made, and that was with existing artwork, I don't see you getting anything made for less than that.  Maybe if you're an artist and can provide your own art for them to go from? 

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 07 November 2013, 17:28:20 »
So if I understand what you are saying is if it is selling well they will just keep selling it as is, but if it is not selling well they will make it official? Why would they roll it in to a TRO if it is not selling well?

You misunderstand my point.
If the mech sells well, mission accomplished.
If the "blank" mech isn't selling well because it's ugly, well, nothing much can be done.
But let us assume the mini is not at fault, but that people don't want non-canon designs.  By putting it into an upcoming TRO, they can then make it official, and maybe it will sell better as a true design, and not a blank.  It's a fallback option if the idea of a blank mech doesn't sell, since to have gotten this far they would have already spent the money on a sculpt.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #22 on: 07 November 2013, 18:09:26 »
Best guess...?
I'd say perhaps ten employees total, not counting freelance sculptors.  (Now you've got me curious as to how close I hit the mark)
In rebuttal, I would also ask why this at all matters.

IIRC, thety have about half that. Mike N, his wife Melissa, and a few casters and/or general box movers.

It matters in terms of how much of IWM's "new project" resource pool (a fraction of the total work pool) would need to be diverted to any new work. It would then require demonstrating that the cost of resources involved would produce more income than using them for existing planned activities.

CGL has the same problem. Is it going to produce more revenue to go back and flesh out the 3000-3025 period, or to do a Historical for the FedCom Civil War?

Always going to be a problem for small companies. Especially when some much-prized projects fail to make traction with the customers who said they wanted them. I assume (I have no knowledge) that IWM and CGL probably expect a fraction of all work to tank commercially, and struggle and strive to keep that fraction as low as possible.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 07 November 2013, 19:42:15 »
Wouldn't it be easier to just buy from another source for these blank mechs? Instead of asking IWM to create mechs that may or may not sell.
I would think it would be difficult to sell mechs without any context.

There aren't many, but obviously there a couple places that make mechs in roughly the same scale. Just pick up a couple of those and put your own designs to them.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #24 on: 07 November 2013, 20:08:42 »
The way I read it, the OP is looking for minis that are produced to IWM's levels of quality, and/or to the BattleTech aesthetic. Minis like the em4 Steel Warriors don't meet his requirements.

Me, I do just what you suggest - Steel Warriors were my go-to until large quantities of cheap MW:DA minis became available. I'm also more happy kitbashing. I dread the day the last MW:DA minis become all consumed ... fortunately for me they were produced in millions, literally. There's a figure in the book "Technology of Destruction" which I can't recall at the moment, backing that assertion.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 08 November 2013, 02:42:12 »
fortunately for me they were produced in millions, literally. There's a figure in the book "Technology of Destruction" which I can't recall at the moment, backing that assertion.

On page 3, in the Foreward by Jordan Weiseman (in the 1st paragraph), he says "more than 15 million".  I don't see your "Supply Source" running dry ANY time soon!   O0

;D

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 08 November 2013, 02:45:19 »
Well, it's debateable as to whether Dark Age fits the Battletech aesthetic at times haha. The later stuff is I suppose better from what I understand. But some designs like the JES II or whatever or the Jupiter look terrible imo.

I'm not sure where the em4 miniatures come into play either. I visited the website and found only 28mm figures.
But advertising other products in this specific forum seems in poor taste so it's a non issue.

Spector

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 08 November 2013, 11:02:53 »
How is it poor taste? We are trying to help a poster find "generic" minis for use.

Agent #333

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 08 November 2013, 16:03:08 »
How is it poor taste? We are trying to help a poster find "generic" minis for use.

Because if you have a forum set up for IWM and you have people in that forum telling other players to go and spend their money elsewhere it seems in poor taste. On other forums for example I've seen say Mongoose Publishing announcing some new products and people go into those threads and tell people to buy ships or models from other companies.

Alternatives to IWM should be discussed in the general miniatures forum in my opinion. Not in the IWM-specific forum because this is a forum set up to specific discuss their product line.

But I'm not a moderator.

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 08 November 2013, 16:41:08 »
Always going to be a problem for small companies. Especially when some much-prized projects fail to make traction with the customers who said they wanted them. I assume (I have no knowledge) that IWM and CGL probably expect a fraction of all work to tank commercially, and struggle and strive to keep that fraction as low as possible.

Believe me, I know all the problems and difficulties in running a small company.  #P

I don't envy IWM for the difficulty of their position.  On the one hand they have CGL pushing them to keep pace with whatever new TROs Catalyst launches, on the other hand they have the fans asking for all the things not yet made from previous books.  And whether or not a product sells good can be influenced by many factors.  Is the mech and/or its sculpt ugly (Daimyo) or the miniature horribly mis-sized (Ninja-to)?  Is it canonically restrictive in availability (Annihilator)?  Does the unit just suck stat-wise (Assassin) or is useful in only very limited scenarios (Urbanmech)?

IMHO, the fan funding thing isn't a bad idea, but Kickstarter is a much better idea.  At least with Kickstarter, you know exactly how much initial interest there is in something, and if there isn't enough backers, you just scrap the project without cost to IWM or the consumers.

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy from another source for these blank mechs? Instead of asking IWM to create mechs that may or may not sell.
I would think it would be difficult to sell mechs without any context.

There aren't many, but obviously there a couple places that make mechs in roughly the same scale. Just pick up a couple of those and put your own designs to them.

Already doing that.  Dreampod 9 just got $160 from me earlier this week for this very thing.  But given the choice, I'd have much rather spent that money with IWM than DP9.  And since I know I'm not the only person shopping around the other miniatures games for custom mech components, I figured "Hey, why not put up a thread and see if other people like the idea of being able to get this kind of thing from the official source".

The way I read it, the OP is looking for minis that are produced to IWM's levels of quality, and/or to the BattleTech aesthetic. Minis like the em4 Steel Warriors don't meet his requirements.

No, they really don't.
I picked up a box of Steel Warriors about a decade back (perhaps longer).  The problem with Steel Warriors is the quality.  The plastic cracks around the joints (I have more broken arms than usable ones), the detail isn't very good (about the same as the old Citytech box), everything is so horribly one-pose and you really don't have much to work with.  It just can't be reworked the way pewter or better quality plastics (ie, Citadel/GW) allows.

Well, it's debateable as to whether Dark Age fits the Battletech aesthetic at times haha. The later stuff is I suppose better from what I understand. But some designs like the JES II or whatever or the Jupiter look terrible imo.

Second!
Dark Ages, to me at least, seems like a project where nobody knew what style they were going for.  Some wanted it to be Heavy Gear, some wanted it Gundam, and definitely there was a return to the Macross vibe thrown in.  All they could agree on was that they didn't want it to be Battletech.  >:/!

Because if you have a forum set up for IWM and you have people in that forum telling other players to go and spend their money elsewhere it seems in poor taste.

And the great irony rears its head, in that what you say is exactly why I started this thread.  Right now, if I want to make a custom design that isn't say 20% Sunder, 50% Thunderbolt and 30% random omnimech limbs, basically my only option is to go spend my money elsewhere.

Alternatives to IWM should be discussed in the general miniatures forum in my opinion. Not in the IWM-specific forum because this is a forum set up to specific discuss their product line.

Regardless of where the discussion has now gone, the original thread was relevant to being in the IWM forum, or at least I believed so.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: 08 November 2013, 18:01:37 »
Regardless of where the discussion has now gone, the original thread was relevant to being in the IWM forum, or at least I believed so.

Well there are fan-funded projects. Maybe instead of petitioning IWM to take a risk on new machines that no one might buy, you or someone else could rally support around a couple designs which could be produced by IWM but funded by the fans. Of course first you would need an artist and a direction in terms of aesthetic and so forth.

If the components were interchangeable with existing designs it could also bleed into the grander battletech milieu if that's an appropriate word.

The Talon miniatures for example were produced basically for battletech but were later picked up by a competitor. If Battletech fans produced a similar line but had it sold through IWM specifically.

What technology of mechs were you intending?

I don't think creating a mech would actually cost thousands of dollars. If the design is 3d modelled for free (ie by an artist interested in it) I think you can get designs made for a couple of hundred dollars. At least I have some friends who've created miniatures of their own and that was their experience. Sculptors would obviously cost more. But if it's a volunteer project where the participants mostly just get some factory-cost models of the designs.

So instead of a "can IWM do this?" a better thread might be "I have an idea for a fan project. Who's interested in getting involved?"
« Last Edit: 08 November 2013, 18:07:04 by Akalabeth »

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 08 November 2013, 18:50:21 »
Well there are fan-funded projects. Maybe instead of petitioning IWM to take a risk on new machines that no one might buy, you or someone else could rally support around a couple designs which could be produced by IWM but funded by the fans. Of course first you would need an artist and a direction in terms of aesthetic and so forth.

[##]
I'm definitely noticing that nigh everybody is focusing entirely on the funding/cost aspect of this idea.  I've said before that I didn't/don't ever really expect my proposal to ever amount to anything, it was a query whether such had been proposed before, and some ideas on how it could work.  Beyond that, all I was hoping to get out of this thread was some different perspectives on such a plan.

If the components were interchangeable with existing designs it could also bleed into the grander battletech milieu if that's an appropriate word.

Yay, relevant discussion!
Yes, that would be something ideal.  With more and more sculpts coming out as highly multi-piece designs, it would be nice if some attention could be paid to making the connecting points for arms/legs/weapons more flexible to use with other miniatures.  If blank mechs were attempted, you wouldn't only be able to use the pieces to create your own from-scratch design, but could take one of the sets of arms and make a new Phoenix Hawk variant, or the likes.

The Talon miniatures for example were produced basically for battletech but were later picked up by a competitor.

Kweh?  Talon?

What technology of mechs were you intending?

Definitely Inner Sphere, probably you'd go stylistically with either the 3058'ish era look, or Project Phoenix.  This way they'd not be so boxy as to say they're definitely SL/SucWar era, but still compatible.  And yet they also wouldn't be the more alien/absurd look as the '67+ style, yet still not totally dissimilar.  Does that make any sense?

I don't think creating a mech would actually cost thousands of dollars. If the design is 3d modelled for free (ie by an artist interested in it) I think you can get designs made for a couple of hundred dollars. At least I have some friends who've created miniatures of their own and that was their experience. Sculptors would obviously cost more. But if it's a volunteer project where the participants mostly just get some factory-cost models of the designs.

Well, if you're going to involve digital renders, why not 3D print?  No real startup cost.

So instead of a "can IWM do this?" a better thread might be "I have an idea for a fan project. Who's interested in getting involved?"

Not to be too nitpicky, but it wasn't a "Can IWM do this" thread.  Read the OP, it was "Has anybody ever thought of doing this".  The difference is that I was asking if this had ever come up before or been considered, then giving some of my ideas how it could work.  Wasn't asking IWM to do anything, really.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 08 November 2013, 19:13:01 »
I'm definitely noticing that nigh everybody is focusing entirely on the funding/cost aspect of this idea.  I've said before that I didn't/don't ever really expect my proposal to ever amount to anything, it was a query whether such had been proposed before, and some ideas on how it could work.  Beyond that, all I was hoping to get out of this thread was some different perspectives on such a plan.

Well, getting things to amount to something is often just as simple as selling the idea and getting other people onto the bandwagon.

Kweh?  Talon?

I thought that was the original name. Bunch of mechs sculpted by Chris Lewis (or 3d-designed).
The Nightshade for example which you see on the miniature forum in a bunch of Marauder kitbashes.

I think they were originally under the guise of "Rogue Legion" by Talon Games.

Well, if you're going to involve digital renders, why not 3D print?  No real startup cost.

Hmmn, well from what I understand the do-it yourself 3D printing places are kinda crappier material and higher cost.

But you could for example 3d print a master or whatever and create a pewter mould from that.

Not to be too nitpicky, but it wasn't a "Can IWM do this" thread.  Read the OP, it was "Has anybody ever thought of doing this".  The difference is that I was asking if this had ever come up before or been considered, then giving some of my ideas how it could work.  Wasn't asking IWM to do anything, really.

Either way the idea has merit.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2013, 19:14:40 by Akalabeth »

Spector

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 09 November 2013, 00:00:31 »
Rouge Legion was originally made by Talon Games but was bought by Reaper. The minis are now apart of the CAV line. The Halberd is a sweet mini the should have been the reseen Warhammer.

Agent #333

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 09 November 2013, 00:35:53 »
I thought that was the original name. Bunch of mechs sculpted by Chris Lewis (or 3d-designed).
The Nightshade for example which you see on the miniature forum in a bunch of Marauder kitbashes.

I think they were originally under the guise of "Rogue Legion" by Talon Games.
+
Rouge Legion was originally made by Talon Games but was bought by Reaper. The minis are now apart of the CAV line. The Halberd is a sweet mini the should have been the reseen Warhammer.

Interesting.  I'd seen the kitbashed Maddy in the miniatures section, and followed the trail to Reaper's site, but didn't know there was any true Btech/IWM connection to that.  I'd been toying with the idea of ordering a few "nightshade" torsos, but to get the free shipping I'd need to order eight of them (or find some other useful bits).  Not having the Marauder II / IIc available in piecemeal form, and having no pictures in the scrapyard to confirm what I'd be getting from a piecemeal Marauder is pushing this to the backburner for now.

Interesting sidenote; those Reaper mecha have a very Earthsiege/Starsiege feel, not very Battletech.

Register