Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems  (Read 14752 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Reply #150 on: 08 December 2023, 08:24:24 »
So he fired a shot at the buzzer and hit someone with it? Yeah, that's... there's no RULE against that, but it's not really okay either- I used to get shots fired at me in net after the buzzer as an 'oops', and it was always cause for shoving and whitewashing. (On one occasion, the buzzer went off, I had enough time to grab a gulp of water and get halfway to the bench, and THEN got hit in the shoulder with a shot, because he 'didn't hear the horn, sorry!'. The short version is that we both were ejected for the discussion that followed.  :rolleyes )

There's not much you could do in terms of league discipline- no rules were broken- but I'll bet Watson's happy to have Nashville on the schedule only on rare occasions, because the next game against them is going to require a head on a swivel.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #151 on: 09 December 2023, 03:03:16 »
I'm perfectly fine with universal retribution.  :smilie_happy_thumbup:
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #152 on: 10 December 2023, 21:22:36 »
So did he aim the shot at him or just snap a shot?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #153 on: 11 December 2023, 00:04:31 »
I'm perfectly fine with universal retribution.  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Um, like what David Perron tried to do to Artem Zub...?
(even though neither of them were involved in the play that injured Larkin)

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #154 on: 11 December 2023, 01:59:46 »
Um, like what David Perron tried to do to Artem Zub...?
(even though neither of them were involved in the play that injured Larkin)

cheers,

Gabe

If it was Perron on Mathieu Joseph, yes. 

Perron trying to take Zub's head off was pointless and stupid.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #155 on: 11 December 2023, 21:17:19 »
If it was Perron on Mathieu Joseph, yes. 

Perron trying to take Zub's head off was pointless and stupid.

And the league agrees with you:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/red-wings-perron-suspended-six-games-for-cross-checking-senators-zub/

If he had gone after Joseph instead, it probably would've come to the same thing; the key here appears to be intent to injure.  The Wings come away being the only losers here, out both Larkin (indefinite) and Perron (six games).

Why Joseph didn't also get tossed in that game is mystifying.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #156 on: 12 December 2023, 02:31:52 »
Reports are back - Larkin has no signs of concussion, which is huge.   Neck is probably a bit sore.  I keep hearing he'll miss a week, but it's a big week.  4 games.

And the league agrees with you:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/red-wings-perron-suspended-six-games-for-cross-checking-senators-zub/

If he had gone after Joseph instead, it probably would've come to the same thing; the key here appears to be intent to injure.  The Wings come away being the only losers here, out both Larkin (indefinite) and Perron (six games).

Why Joseph didn't also get tossed in that game is mystifying.

cheers,

Gabe

I get that emotions and tempers run high, but Zub actually appeared to show concern for Larkin being face down on the ice.  Perron is a grown-ass man as they say, he should have held back.  It's not the last time we'll see the Sens and Joseph. 

As for the last part, yeah, the league didn't even do a review.  Just two minor penalties and called it a day. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #157 on: 13 December 2023, 05:56:40 »
Blues fire head coach Berube.  But the consensus is that they should have shitcanned the GM.

In other news, struggling head coaches around the league will be a little more nervous now that they can possibly be replaced by Berube.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #158 on: 15 December 2023, 00:33:26 »
Blues fire head coach Berube.  But the consensus is that they should have shitcanned the GM.

I'm going to disagree.  Berube's team has underachieved and while Armstrong is part of the problem, he's given them fairly reasonable roster the past few season and especially in the last 2 years they have played well below their expectations.

As to where Berube might land my random thoughts on this are Pittsburgh and my random Dark Horse, Seatttle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #159 on: 15 December 2023, 03:48:21 »
I'm going to disagree. 

StL ownership agrees with you.  But their house is going to need to be cleared sooner or later.  They may be waiting for the right replacement to become available. 

Good news out of Detroit is despite conflicting reports regarding the severity of Larkin's injuries, he's been taking morning skates with the team and seems to be fine.

I'm still betting that neck is a bit on the tender side, though.  But good for him that he can cover it up and skate with a smile like nothing happened. 
« Last Edit: 15 December 2023, 03:50:33 by rebs »

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: 18 December 2023, 22:53:08 »
The Sens' restructuring under new ownership continues as they've given D.J. Smith his walking papers:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/tag/senators-fire-d-j-smith/

However, I think they've taken a big step back by deciding to bring back Jacques Martin as head coach (even if interim).
More interesting is bringing on Daniel Alfredsson as an assistant.

Whether this is enough to right the ship in Ottawa remains to be seen.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #161 on: 18 December 2023, 22:57:02 »

Good news out of Detroit is despite conflicting reports regarding the severity of Larkin's injuries, he's been taking morning skates with the team and seems to be fine.

I'm still betting that neck is a bit on the tender side, though.  But good for him that he can cover it up and skate with a smile like nothing happened.

Hey, he even managed an assist tonight!  Too bad the Wings went down against the *Ducks*.

cheers,

Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #162 on: 20 December 2023, 11:36:46 »
I'm going to disagree.  Berube's team has underachieved and while Armstrong is part of the problem, he's given them fairly reasonable roster the past few season and especially in the last 2 years they have played well below their expectations.

As to where Berube might land my random thoughts on this are Pittsburgh and my random Dark Horse, Seatttle.

I'll respectfully disagree with your disagreement. That the Blues have looked at the last couple of years of Jordan Binnington and said "yeah, that's the guy we want in our net, cut the straight jacket straps and start the national anthem!", that's unacceptable. There's holes in the rest of the roster, no doubt, and that's sometimes the price of winning a championship- it unravels quickly over the next couple of years oftentimes (hi, Avalanche!). But for the Blues to be content with their goaltending as it stands, that should have resulted in a GM change LAST summer, let alone over this past one.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #163 on: 22 December 2023, 09:02:41 »
Hey, Toronto? You okay, fellas? Need an ice pack? Advil? Maybe a goalie who can stop a puck now and then?

We're all just worried about you, and we want you to be okay.  :evil:

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #164 on: 22 December 2023, 12:27:41 »
Obvious Red Wings breakdown after acquiring Patrick Kane is obvious.

Anyway, here's Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe in their WHA uniforms having a nice pre-game chat by the looks of it. 

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #165 on: 22 December 2023, 18:16:08 »
Question, as I've really not been seriously following any sport this year..  But what going on the Bruins and Jack Edwards?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #166 on: 23 December 2023, 09:26:10 »
Red Wings broke the slump.  But it wasn't the best way to go about it.  They jumped up to a huge lead, then blew it and almost gave the game away to the Flyers and had to win in a shootout.  Kaner got 2 goals and an assist.  That was good to see.  But the rest of the season is looking hazy if this is how things are going to go. 

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #167 on: 26 December 2023, 20:30:53 »
Question, as I've really not been seriously following any sport this year..  But what going on the Bruins and Jack Edwards?

According to a post he made on Twitter, he's on his first family holiday vacation in 17 years.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #168 on: 27 December 2023, 23:14:32 »
According to a post he made on Twitter, he's on his first family holiday vacation in 17 years.
good for him, I was afraid I missed something.  Not like NESN might randomly drop good people for no reason..  Don Orsillo  :police: :cool: :angry:

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #169 on: 06 January 2024, 23:10:04 »
Welcome to the big leagues Connor Bedard, where nobody, not even up-and-coming generational talents, is safe:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/blackhawks-star-rookie-bedard-out-with-fractured-jaw/

Not like the 'Hawks weren't already in full tank mode, but this just gives them more incentive to just totally let the bottom fall out.

(And man, do I feel bad for Luke Richardson.)

cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #170 on: 12 January 2024, 15:30:04 »
I don't know that there is going to be a whole lot of postivites for the Caps to talk about for the remainder of the season as they seem to be trending in a downward trajectory again.  Max Pacioretty scored his first goal as a Cap last night and in the first in quite some time comming back from injury.  Hopefully the first of many to come regardless of where he continues to play long term.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #171 on: 20 January 2024, 16:47:29 »
Well...life on Long Island sure looks like it's going to get a lot more interesting...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/islanders-hire-patrick-roy-to-replace-lane-lambert-as-head-coach/

Cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #172 on: 20 January 2024, 18:42:49 »
Well...life on Long Island sure looks like it's going to get a lot more interesting...
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/islanders-hire-patrick-roy-to-replace-lane-lambert-as-head-coach/

I've been out all afternoon and just saw this.  I assume Lamoriello may have lost his marbles.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #173 on: 21 January 2024, 00:35:45 »
Somewhere tonight, Hellbie must've been beside himself with glee.  But not because of the Patrick Roy news.
 :angry: :angry:

Habs, a hockey game is **THREE** periods long.  You are supposed to show up for ALL THREE. 

Especially if it's against the @#%&*$! Bruins!!!!

Still, what they managed was better than not showing up at all against the Sharks and Sens.  And Cole Caufield is finally on a roll, so at least there's that.

cheers,

Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #174 on: 25 January 2024, 12:15:48 »
Well... for those not in the loop, welcome to Hockey Canada and the NHL's horrible, awful, no-good 'you have to be kidding' day.

Five members of the Hockey Canada 2018 squad have been asked to turn themselves in as the investigation into sexual assault continues- four of those players are NHLers now, and have been granted leaves-of-absence (and likely won't be welcome to return from those leaves after this is all done). The remaining player is in the Swiss leagues and has also begun the process of returning for these proceedings. This looks VERY bad.

It's worse though, because there's strong possibility that members of the coaching staff and other players may have been aware of all of this at the time and covered it up. Those people could also be in some deep shit in the coming weeks if those allegations can be proven. If you haven't looked at the roster from that 2018 squad, it's like a who's-who of modern NHL talent. The ramifications of this on the sport could be enormous.

For now, we know little really- it will be a very long and ugly process before this gets resolved... and until then, much like the dismayingly-similar Blackhawks scandal, all we can do is wait and watch hockey take yet another off-ice black eye.

+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #175 on: 26 January 2024, 23:28:22 »
Please, oh please, don't ask me to explain what prompted Brendan Gallagher to do THIS to the Isles' Adam Pelech:
(watch the video in the link)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-gallagher-suspended-five-games-for-illegal-check-to-the-head/

Gally has been a favourite whipping boy of refs for years now because of his net-crashing style of play, but to my knowledge, he has never laid such an obvious, dirty POS hit like this before.  Probably got off relatively easy because it's his first such offense. However, it does continue a worrisome trend this season of him taking dumb, inopportune penalties late in games that end up changing the complexion of the game or costing the Habs a (regulation) win, which very nearly happened this time--the Isles scored twice on the ensuing 5-minute PP (Gally was ejected) and tied it up, with the Habs only pulling out a win thanks to a late go-ahead goal.  Really don't know what Gally was thinking (if he was thinking at all).

As for Pelech, I read that this is his second concussion this season.  Pretty dangerous.  I do hope he's OK.

cheers,

Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #176 on: 28 January 2024, 11:25:41 »
Would someone please go beat the ****** Oilers? Just... show me it can still be done?

+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #177 on: 29 January 2024, 10:13:39 »
Well... for those not in the loop, welcome to Hockey Canada and the NHL's horrible, awful, no-good 'you have to be kidding' day.

Five members of the Hockey Canada 2018 junior squad have been asked to turn themselves in as the investigation into sexual assault

FTFY.

continues- four of those players are NHLers now, and have been granted leaves-of-absence (and likely won't be welcome to return from those leaves after this is all done). The remaining player is in the Swiss leagues and has also begun the process of returning for these proceedings. This looks VERY bad.

That player, Alex Formenton (a former Sen), has turned himself in to the police in London, Ontario, and is the only one who has publicly named himself so far.

It's worse though, because there's strong possibility that members of the coaching staff and other players may have been aware of all of this at the time and covered it up. Those people could also be in some deep shit in the coming weeks if those allegations can be proven. If you haven't looked at the roster from that 2018 squad, it's like a who's-who of modern NHL talent. The ramifications of this on the sport could be enormous.

For now, we know little really- it will be a very long and ugly process before this gets resolved... and until then, much like the dismayingly-similar Blackhawks scandal, all we can do is wait and watch hockey take yet another off-ice black eye.

The ramifications are already enormous, at least for Hockey Canada.  Not only did Hockey Canada already pay a settlement to the accuser, it was revealed that they had for years been setting aside money to deal with exactly these kinds of situations.

And yes, a lot of players from that squad with recognizable names, some of whom have become linchpins of their current teams.

cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #178 on: 29 January 2024, 15:33:19 »
Would someone please go beat the ****** Oilers? Just... show me it can still be done?

There is hope on the horizon, the Bruins play the Oilers twice next month.

Also it says quite a bit about how bad the Oilers were earlier in the season that this winning streak has pulled them into third place in their division.

I expected Vancouver to fall off a cliff by now, but it hasn't happened, yet.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #179 on: 29 January 2024, 15:44:58 »
There is hope on the horizon, the Bruins play the Oilers twice next month.

Also it says quite a bit about how bad the Oilers were earlier in the season that this winning streak has pulled them into third place in their division.

I expected Vancouver to fall off a cliff by now, but it hasn't happened, yet.

I have no idea what to make of the Canucks- it feels like they shouldn't be THIS good... it also felt like last year shouldn't have been that bad. Somewhere in the middle seems fair, but here we are- was Rick Tocchet that big of a change to get this kind of improvement? (Or, conversely, was Bruce Boudreu that big of a problem? Seems unlikely, but again, here we are). I'll be curious to see how they handle the playoffs, since it appears they're all but a lock at this point.

Somewhat the same for the Oilers, honestly- are they really this good, or are they correcting that god-awful start and they're kind of a B-level team? I'm just not sold on their goaltending or blue line enough to call them a real contender in the West the way I can with Vegas or Colorado.

Also, what the hell happened to the Kings? They were rolling, right up until they suddenly weren't.

+Crow T. Robot+

Register