Author Topic: Kiiro no tori  (Read 151359 times)

Davout73

• Captain
Re: Kiiro no tori
« Reply #300 on: 18 February 2013, 22:32:39 »
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #301 on: 19 February 2013, 01:28:09 »
Looks like the mercs sent to Sevren got the rough end of the pineapple. >:D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #302 on: 19 February 2013, 01:35:52 »
Looks like the mercs sent to Sevren got the rough end of the pineapple. >:D

Those are the two units abandoned by Kurita as part of the "Death to Mercs" order.  :-)
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #303 on: 21 February 2013, 00:11:08 »
Snippets:

“On this field of battle Colonel Samuel Granger, commander of the Lone Star Mech regiment, died protecting that which he loved best: The men, women and children of his regiment. He fought well, he fought honorably, and after. two hundred years of faithful service to the Dragon the unit he commanded was betrayed. He came back to this planet to save those nearest and dearest to him. Behind the remains of the mech you will find the remains of the MV Corion. 12 Volunteer crewmen and 83 members of the Lone Star Regiment family were killed when it exploded after being hit during the course of the Evacuation of August 15th, 3029. Among those killed were Colonel Granger's wife, his eldest daughter, and his youngest son.
“Know that their spirits are here, that Colonel Granger walk a lonely, vigilant patrol to safeguard them, and that the Lone Star Regiment and 8th Donegal Guards think of their sacrifices often. Disturb these remains, and you disturb their tamashii, and they will not be happy. And they will not be the only ones seeking revenge.”

From a note found at the Fort Kytheria Space Port, August 17th, 3029, Volders. Left by the volunteers of the the 8th Donegal Gaurds, it was later replaced with a plaque by Theodore Kurita.

“It wasn't war, it was larceny on a scale not seen since the fall of the Hegemony,”

Political Commentator James Renshaw, on “Retrospectives, a History of the Fourth Succession War” First Broadcast on February 20th, 3040.

“Had it succeeded the direction of the war would have changed drastically. Thank the heavens Theodore wasn't able to pull it off. Thank the heavens he wasn't in charge of their defense, or we never would have reached the planets we did.”

Kommandant Alex Agata, Lyran Intelligence, in a precis delivered to the LCAF High Command on Operation TAKO.

“Kura Takahi Puni - a hi
Kura Takahi Puni - a hi
I te mea ka tu nga toa tumatauenga
Ki te pakanga Tena te tupato A hoariri Kia
Tupato Ratou e wawata kite pakanga kei hea koe
Tu Kanohi mai kia matou Ma matou koutou E patu ki raro e
Kia kaha kia toa o rua o tuatahi e Ka kapuhia matou o
nga hihiri o Papatuanuku Hei whakauaua I o matou
tinana Hei wehi atu e nga horiri e E nga toa (a hi)
maranga ra kite karanga O te pakanga e Ka whawhai
tatou i te hoariri Kia wehewehe Werohia ratou ki te rua
o te po Ka ru te whenua”

We are ready, yes we are ready. If we the warriors of the 21st
should go to war. Beware enemy, beware!
Those of you who wish to do battle with us, where are
you?
Come stand face to face with us, and we will strike you
down.
Be strong warriors of the 21st. We will gather the energy from
the earth to strengthen our bodies, to destroy our enemies.
Rise up, soldiers of 21st to the call of battle.
We will fight and destroy our enemies and send them to the
dark pits of hell.
The earth will shake!

The Funeral Haka of the 21st Illician Lancers, performed on their return to Jonzac.

“Heck, was I surprised the numbers went down? No, not at all. We provide entertainment, and to many people had seen what happened first hand to be entertained by what we provide. They'll bounce back though, they always do.”

Sidney Kupersteyn, Director of Programing, Solaris Gaming Network.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #304 on: 21 February 2013, 01:11:24 »
A Haka for the 21st, now that is impressive. O0
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #305 on: 21 February 2013, 10:36:28 »
You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM

Thats the New Zealand 2/1 Infantry unit.

Thanks for reading,

Dav

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #306 on: 21 February 2013, 11:46:52 »

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #307 on: 21 February 2013, 22:16:10 »
The Resumption of War.

Map may be a bit busy, but the larger size makes it easier.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25017377/KNT%20Resumption.pdf

Thanks for reading!

Dav

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #308 on: 01 March 2013, 01:20:21 »
“Are you certain?” Hanse Davion's voice was quiet with shock.
“The code words are there.  Liao is going to hit Kathil.” Quintus Allard's voice was just as shocked.
“I know Max is crazy, but that crazy?  What does he hope to gain by doing this?”
“It will cripple our fleet for decades if it succeeds.  And the code says this is not Max's idea, but Romanos.”
“This makes no sense.  BAOYING has been quite successful for them, all things considered, diverting any unit from that to Kathil is folly.”
“The Death Commando's and the 15th Dracon can get the job done, depending on what there.”
“What do we have in the area?”
“I'm not sure, but I think finding out is our next priority.”

“There's two Battalions of militia on planet, but they are understrength.  We took the best units from them to help form several of the provisional garrison units.”  Marshal Zibler spoke from memory, standing in front of the holotank he typed in a few commands and brought the area into focus. 
“Everything we have in that region is tied up, and any sizable movement will take time to coordinate.  Plus, with the Interdiction, getting a message to a unit in the region is going to take time.  There's no guarantee that the unit getting the order to move would be able to, and if they did, no guarantee they'd get there on time to prevent the attack.”
“Any chance the militia could pull it off?” asked Hanse Davion, knowing the answer before he even asked.
“If you buy a lottery ticket, your odds would be better.  When I was at Kettering we often-”  Ziber stopped mid-sentence, turned back to the console and sat down, rapidly typing in commands.  Hanse Davion kept silent for a moment, by now, he was used to Zibler's train of thought going well off track.
“Son of a-how did I miss this?”  Zibler muttered and stood up.
“Sir, I can get 28 of the finest mechwarriors to Kathil in six weeks.  That put them on the ground three weeks before Liao gets there.”
“Who?  How?” asked Allard.
“Kettering sir.  The Proving Ground has been inactive since the War began.  Some of them have been sent out as replacements, but the rest of the unit is there.  More importantly, they've two Merchant class jumpships with them.”
“How is that possible?” Allards voice was tinged with anger.
“I set up Kettering sir, and with six worlds to train on, moving back and forth between them was something I didn't want to leave to the regular supply boffins.  Plus Kettering is classed as a training unit, not a line unit, and it's not in the regular chain of command. In fact, the chain of command is quite short.”
“Who signed off on that idea?” asked Hanse Davion.
“Your Champion Sire.”  Hanse bit back whatever reply he had to the unexpected response.
“A Battalions not enough, even if its the Kettering.” said Allard, looking at the unit dispositions flashing on the screen. “No offense Marshall.”
“None taken,” replied Zibler, still pecking away at the keyboard.
“What about Delta Company?” the Marshal asked.
“Most of them are still on convalescent, but they'll go.”
“OK, whose in command then?” asked Hanse.  “The militia commander is out.  I've two disparate units heading towards a showdown with the best Liao has to offer.  Who's at Kettering?”
“Colonel Jocelyn MacIntyre, recently from 1st Chisholm.  She's a Kettering plankowner, but..”
“But what Marshal?”
“Sir, she transferred in right at the start of the 4th; while I'm confident in her abilities the problems she's going to run into, she's a new Colonel.  We need some seniority there.”
“Is that you volunteering Thomas?” asked Hanse Davion with an archer brow.  Zibler opened his mouth, then closed it.  After a moment he spoke.
“I took an oath, Sire.  I'll go wherever send me, but let's be honest, outside of New Avalon and some communiques I'm not that well known.  Some Marshal from the AFFS shows up and starts issuing orders, they'll get followed.  Something like this though, you need-”
“Firepower.” said Hanse.  “And I have the perfect shell in mind.”

Thomas Zibler sat in the auditorium, lost in his own thoughts.  On one hand, it felt odd to be sitting on this side of the lectern.  On the other, he had to constantly remind himself not to twist around and look at the assemblage again.  Youth and inexperience, tempered by fear, leavened by wounded warriors and a small elite that on paper, was not enough.  Seeing the regiment again was bittersweet, very few of the original members were left.  Colonel MacIntyre had managed to acquire some tact over the years, but his brief conversations with her made him wonder if they were leaning to much on the Proving Ground troops.
Andrew Redburn was all the faxes made him out to be and more.  He was going to go far in the AFFS, even if the First Prince hadn't had a vested interest in his unit.  Zibler liked him as soon as he met him, and they had some fine discussions over lunches and dinner, and a standing 100 C-Bill bet if/when Delta Company ever made it to the Proving Grounds.
The lights dimmed, and Morgan Hasek-Davion walked out to the lectern.  He looked at his notes briefly, then stepped aside, took a breath, and began to speak.

“There are two ways to go about History,” he began.  The capital H was obvious in his pronunciation.  “You may read about it, the deeds and actions of our forebearers and our enemies, or you can make it.  Here, this month ladies and gentlemen, we will be writing it.  Battle and glory are not won on the Capellan or Combine borders alone.  Worlds away from the front, such as Kathil, are often where history is made, and this time is no different.  Kathil has been a target before, and it is a target again. 
He indicated the center of the auditorium.  “In this effort we have Captain Andrew Redburn and Delta Company of the Light Guards.  They are experts in close in tactics, and as you all know, have fought the Combine numerous times, and won in a convincing manner.  And that includes their firefighting abilities.”  A small smile crept across his face, but disappeared as quickly.  He pointed to the assembly of warriors on the right side of the auditorium.  “These are the men and women of the Kettering Proving Ground, commanded by Colonel Jocelyn MacIntyre.  Colonel MacIntyre is an original member of the KPG, and has fought more battles in the past ten years than a companies worth of warriors will fight in a lifetime.  Everyone here knows their reputation, and you also know that their reputation has been earned, time and again.  They are the best the AFFS has to offer because they have earned it.  And we will need it.
“And we have you, the Third Battalion of the Kathil Miltia.  As tested and proven as Delta Company and the KPG are, you are as untested and unproven.  That is not your fault, and in the coming days I am going to ask you to give more than you thought possible.
“We know from impeccable sources that Liao has sent troops to Kathil.  Their aim is not to conquer, but to destroy.  To Pillage and burn what little we have managed to reclaim since the days of the 1st Succession Wars.  We know there will be at least a regiments worth of mechs, including the Death Commando Battalion, on their way here.  Their targets are the four geothermal generating stations.  If they destroy these, the orbitals are useless.  If they destroy these the ability for mankind to move between the stars will slide into oblivion.  Our job is to stop them, no matter the cost.  The upcoming battle is a crucible that well test us all, and we will not fail.
Morgan straightened his posture even more, placing his hands behind his back.  Zibler knew what was coming, had talked about it with the Prince and Morgan, but he wasn't sure how it would go over.

“By order of the First Prince, you have all been relieved of your current assignments and positions.”
Zibler was surprised by the lack of movement and noise from the professional soldiery, but there was some muttering between the militia.  On a closer look, he saw the narrowing of Colonel MacIntyres eyes and the color rising in her cheeks, but a few brief words from Sergeant-Major Hawker seemed to calm her down.
“By that same order, we are now a new regiment on the AFFS rolls.  Officially, we are the First Kathil Lanciers, but we will be known as the Lions of Davion.  We are a short regiment of mechs, in two oversized battalions.  On paper, I am the Commanding Officer.  In reality, Colonel MacIntyre will be fulfilling most of those duties.  Papaerwork assignment is at her discretion.”  Another brief smile.  “Major Danielson of the Kettering is 1st Battalion Commander.  He will have the remainder of the Kettering as his core, with half the militia.
“Major Redburn is 2nd Battalion Commander, with his Delta company and the other half of the militia.”
To his credit, Morgan waited for the muttering to die down before resuming.
“I know many of you resent this turn of events, and that you were not told about this earlier.  There is a reason for that.  Long ago, on Earth, a man called Cortes sailed to the New World.  In a particularly dire situation such as this one, Cortes landed on the coast of Mexico, and to prove to his men that there would be no retreating from the upcoming fight, he burned his ships.  You may take this announcement as my burning the ships.  That is, there cannot be no retreat from where we are.
“We will use each others strengths to fill in our weaknesses.  Delta Company here understands the weaknesses of various 'Mech designs, and how to exploit them. They have mastered the techniques of hitting without getting hit back. Three years ago they were very much like you former militia members, but through hard work, training, emphasizing the importance of working together, they have become a unit Combine mothers name when they wish to frighten bad children.”
Turning to the Kettering troops, Morgan continued.

“You men and women, without a doubt, are the finest troops in the AFFS.  You know how our enemies fight, and often perform better than they do.  It's this experience I am counting on you to share.  We need to know how to get inside our enemies heads, how to beat them at their own game.  To help share that knowledge we have Marshal Thomas Zibler.  He is the founding commander of the Kettering Proving Ground, its success is a direct result of his efforts and abilities as a commander and teacher.  In the next two weeks, the knowledge he and the rest of the Kettering troops have will be the firehouse we all try to drink from.
“Lastly, you militia members.  Some will say you are the weakest link amongst us.  I say they are wrong.  You know this world, you know where the maps are wrong, the details we could never glean from the local sources without expending some serious resources.  You have a love for this world, because it's yours.  That love will be contagious, it will give us an edge and keep us going when all may seem lost.  And when all will seem lost, it will be you who see's us through.  You have the enthusiasm many of us veterans lack.  Whereas we are cynical and resigned to our fate-” another smile, and some laughter from other veterans “The impossible is but an obstacle for you to overcome, because you have not tried to do it yet.”
Morgan stopped for a moment, then walked back to the lectern.  Grasping the sides, he looked over the assembly.  “We have, at a minimum, two weeks to train and prepare.  The next fourteen days I will promise you three things:  Three hot meals a day, your mail, and four hours of uninterrupted sleep.”  A few nervous laughs went through the hall.  “That is the most I can promise you from training.
“As your commander, I also promise you this:  There will come a time when I will give you an assignment that could kill you. But I will never give you a suicidal order.  I will never abandon you to the enemy.  We will win because we must win. Liao's forces are coming here to claim victory for themselves. We are in a fight against wanton carnage and destruction for its own sake, on a level so great that it could suck mankind down into another Dark Age. We cannot allow it. We will not allow it. No matter the cost, the price we must pay in machines and men, we cannot allow this action to pass.  This will not be a victory for just the Federated Commonwealth, but for all of Man. The Lions will be be one force, one power.  And when we roar, the Chancellor himself will hear it, and quake on his Celestial Throne.”

Thanks for reading,

Dav

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #309 on: 01 March 2013, 02:11:20 »
motiviting speach!  looking forward to reading the battle of Kathil!

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #310 on: 02 March 2013, 04:40:57 »
Oooh, durned good speach!
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #311 on: 02 March 2013, 17:31:37 »
After hearing that speech you would want to go out and kill some Capellans. ;)
Growing up is optional.

jpdt19

• Corporal
« Reply #312 on: 02 March 2013, 19:09:18 »
Well hello.

Some of the gutsiest fighters in the AFS + the equivalent of the AFFS Top Gun + locals fighting to defend their homes.

Or perhaps I should say: Those who have read and know when to throw out the book + those who ripped up and rewrote the book + and those who have never read the book at all (cue craziness).

Yes......ouch they're going to cause a lot of hurt!

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #313 on: 02 March 2013, 21:48:44 »
Well hello.

Some of the gutsiest fighters in the AFS + the equivalent of the AFFS Top Gun + locals fighting to defend their homes.

Or perhaps I should say: Those who have read and know when to throw out the book + those who ripped up and rewrote the book + and those who have never read the book at all (cue craziness).

Yes......ouch they're going to cause a lot of hurt!

Plus those nifty superhigh powered microwave transmitters that can cook a DropShip like a container of Jiffy Pop Popcorn.  >:D
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #314 on: 02 March 2013, 22:44:41 »
Plus those nifty superhigh powered microwave transmitters that can cook a DropShip like a container of Jiffy Pop Popcorn.  >:D

POPgoes the cappies!
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #315 on: 03 March 2013, 19:47:05 »
Microwaveable Cappies, the latest in high tech food coming to your door. ::) :D
Growing up is optional.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #316 on: 04 March 2013, 13:05:07 »
Microwaveable Cappies, the latest in high tech food coming to your door. ::) :D

Or 'Not Fast Enough' food.  >:D

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #317 on: 07 March 2013, 13:03:57 »
Fried Capellan Dropship Taters..now in Death Commando and Red Lancer Flavors.  :D. Get yours at your local Davion-Mart! If they don't have them, tell your Grocer to ask for them by name, and if he refuses, report him to MIIO! >:D
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #318 on: 16 March 2013, 13:32:28 »
OK, some detail stuff. 

Keep in mind some of this may change when its conglomerated into the final product.  As always, feel free to point out any errors.

Thanks for reading,

Dav

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #319 on: 16 March 2013, 17:17:09 »
Kudo's to Ajax Wolf for finding a typo about five minutes after I posted.

For that you will be featured in a forthcoming snippet or story.  Whether or not you live..... 

O0

Thanks for the help!

Dav

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
« Reply #320 on: 16 March 2013, 17:25:47 »
Kudo's to Ajax Wolf for finding a typo about five minutes after I posted.

For that you will be featured in a forthcoming snippet or story.  Whether or not you live..... 

O0

Thanks for the help!

Dav

Geez, then its a good thing I didn't point out the their/there error at the end of your very first paragraph. You would have killed me off for that.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #321 on: 16 March 2013, 17:45:10 »
Geez, then its a good thing I didn't point out the their/there error at the end of your very first paragraph. You would have killed me off for that.

LOL..no, maybe a limb though.

If theres one thing I've discovered through the years its that no one person can be their own editor.  Heck, I read everything out loud two or three times, and some of the stuff I let go by makes me cringe...

But seriously, I do appreciate the help.

Dav

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
« Reply #322 on: 16 March 2013, 18:15:34 »
LOL..no, maybe a limb though.

If theres one thing I've discovered through the years its that no one person can be their own editor.  Heck, I read everything out loud two or three times, and some of the stuff I let go by makes me cringe...

But seriously, I do appreciate the help.

Dav

Having worked with CAWest on his story, The Diary of a Rim Worlder, as his proofreader, I'll second that. Even an editor needs an editor.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #323 on: 16 March 2013, 19:05:54 »
OK, some more detail stuff. :-)

As always, keep in mind some of this may change when its conglomerated into the final product. And As always, feel free to point out any errors.

Next up, a short book on Operation TAKO, then the Capellan Offensive, BAOYING, and then the one off events, Kathil and the like.  Then the 4th is done.  I Hope.  :-)

Thanks for reading,

Dav

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #324 on: 12 April 2013, 13:15:48 »
Hey all,

Had some real life issues crop up that required my attention, but I will have an update this weekend. 

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Dav

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #325 on: 14 April 2013, 18:22:37 »
   It is well known that Takashi Kurita, the Coordinator of the Draconis Combine, has long regarded his only son Theodore as something of a failure.  Upon his graduation from Sun Zhang, the younger Kurita was shuffled throughout the Combine in a variety of staff positions and assignments, including a stint as an aide to Vassily Cherenkoff, Warlord Dieron.  Eventually, in an act that was either spiteful, or meant to teach the younger Kurita a lesson, Theodore was assigned to Marfik as the commander of the Legion of Vega.  Home to many malcontents and disgraced mechwarriors, many saw Theodore’s assignment to the unit as a punishment.  In Theodore Kurita, the men and women of the Legion saw him as one of their own.

The LCAF made capturing the young Colonel a priority with the first wave of VALKRYIE.  Unfortunately for them , a series of errors, mostly human but also on the intelligence gathering side of things, allowed Colonel Kurita to run rings (in a both a literal and figurative sense), around the invading Lyran units.  Intercepted Kuritan communications showed a young commander who not only led a spirited defense, but conducted a well fought campaign using every available resource to him.  Escaping the LCAF forces on Marfik was a black eye for the planners of the Marfik attack, so much so the LCAF rotated two of its elite units from the interior and sent them along with two additional mercenary regiments to attack Vega. 
   The Vega campaign proved that Colonel Kurita and the Legions performance on Marfik was not a fluke.  Against two to one odds, the Legion and Colonel Kurita fought a fighting withdrawal that should become part of any War Academies curricula.  Although the losses suffered by the Legion were heavy, they managed to hold of the attacking Lyran forces and retreat off planet, to Moore.

The LCAF was happy to leave Colonel Kurita and his units on Moore.  However, as the AFFS began its advance throughout the Dieron district, several DCMS unit’s found themselves being ordered to alter their retreat to Moore.  Ultimately, when the Lull started, there were as many as ten different DCMS units in various states on the planet.  Also on planet now were Warlord Dieron himself, forced to retreat to Moore after being ejected of Dieron by the AFFS.  According to some reports, for several weeks tensions were high as Warlord Dieron sought to assert his command over the units on planet, only to be opposed by several other officers present.  Eventually, as it became obvious the lull was going to wind down, Colonel Kurita and Warlord Dieron did everything they could to beg, borrow, and in some cases outright appropriate they supplies needed.

Both the LCAF and AFFS High Commands took risks when forming their plans.  To some degree, the initial thrusts of both YELLOW BIRD and VALKRYIE were planned the way they were in order to force the DCMS high command to choose the effort they wanted to defend against.  However, the second and third wave of YELLOW BIRD took everybody by surprise, most of all the DCMS.  As the AFFS drove deep into the Combine, the LCAF pushed ahead in the Rasalhauge worlds.  This left many of the worlds in the Dieron district on an island, surrounded and beset on all sides.  However, there was one way out of the situation, and that was straight ahead.  By accident (or design depending on who one listens too) the Federation of Sky was left virtually undefended.  Only two Battlemech regiments were present in the entire Federation, one of which was a mercenary unit.  The prevailing opinion is that Duke Aldo Lestrade did this deliberately to show that he did not approve of the war, and that by denuding his realm of military forces, he would not be attacked.  However, given the course of the Fourth Succession War, and the opportunity it provided, Colonel Kurita was preparing to launch a broad offensive from Moore.  Had it succeeded, it would have drastically altered the course of the Fourth Succession War. 
Colonel Kurita called the operation TAKO, or Octopus.  Six attacks were planned: Ryde, Marfik, Skye, Summer, Alphecca and Nusakan.  The remaining Legion of Vega and 5th Sword were to hit Summer, Duke Lestrade’s residence, while other units that had retreated to Moore were to hit the other planets.  On Nusakan and Alphecca, Kuritan strike teams took out most of the plantary militia’s command, while on Marfik a previously unknown resistance movement started a bloody campaign.  While these were occurring, the last of the supplies and transport Colonel Kurita needed were arriving.  However, shortly after their arrival, a LCAF Invader, carrying the 10th Lyran Guards, appeared at a pirate point and dropped the unit onto several of the Kuritan depots.  Led by Duke Frederick Steiner, the men and women of the 10th went on a rampage few have ever born witness too, destroying megaton’s of supplies, and crippling two dropships at one of Moore’s spaceports.  However, the two battalions of Lyran troops could not hope to destroy every depot and hold off the counterattacking Kuritan units.  After a tenacious firefight which forced him to eject, Colonel Steiner offered himself as a prisoner in order to let his remaining troops retreat off planet.  Accepting his offer, Colonel Kurita agreed.

Unbeknownst to the young Kuritan Colonel, the Lyrans had one more trick up their sleeve.  Several teams of Lyran special operatives managed to board the orbiting Kuritan Jumpships and destroy several critical parts.  One jumpship was destroyed outright when its station keeping engine could not be repaired before the planet it captured iby the nearby planets gravity well. The remaining jumpships had a variety of crippling but repairable damage: helium tanks blown, solar recharge systems damaged or destroyed, power transfer couplers destroyed.   In one dangerous but brilliant stroke, Operation TAKO was over before it could start.

It took several weeks for the jumpships to be repaired.  During that time the AFFS and LCAF troops were closing in on Moore, and Colonel Kurita ordered a retreat off planet.  As the jumpships became available, the units on planet retreated, finding various ways back to combine space.  Eventually, when Lyran troops landed on planet, they found almost everything of military value had been taken as well.  Plans were developed in case DCMS units did appear in Skye, but when Colonel Kurita showed up on Baldur, the High Commands of the AFFS and LCAF relaxed. 

No word from Duke Steiner has been received since he surrendered.

Thanks for reading!

Dav

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #326 on: 27 April 2013, 21:09:08 »
   If SPIKE was the right cross to the chin that staggered the Capellan Confederation, the results of RIPOSTE/PAVISE was a body blow that brought the CCAF to at least one knee.  Several of the best units in the CCAF had been decimated, several key planets had been taken, and to pour salt in the many wounds suffered, Senior Colonel Pavel Ridzik had not only surrendered, but had formed the Tikonov Republic and with his newly formed army of defecting CCAF units and had then launched Operation COSSACK, which had ruined any chance of further cooperation between the Marik and Liao.

The Confederation spent the majority of 3029 recovering, rebuilding, and planning.  Federated Suns activity on the Capellan Border, Operation MINCEMEAT, kept many Capellan units in place preparing to throw back another AFFS incursion, but when word of the strength and depth of YELLOW BIRD's gains became clear, the CCAF went into an offensive posture.  Through the early part of 3029 MINCEMEAT had worked very well, but as the Maskirovka clamped down on spy cells, the AFFS efforts to misdirect the Confederation faltered, they braced for an attack.  The AFFS had done what they could to prepare, rotating units from the Outremer and interior to planets closer to the Capellan border.  Wary of a potential Federated Suns bluff, Chancellor Liao held back his forces, but then came the Interdiction.  Declaring it to be a hand from Providence, the Chancellor ordered Senior Colonel Dvalilik to launch Operation BAOYING.  Although weakened by SPIKE, RIPOSTE, and the defection of the Tikonov units, the CCAF had spent the six months planning and preparing, and were more than ready to show the Inner Sphere that they had plenty of fight left.

Thanks for reading!

Dav

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #327 on: 27 April 2013, 21:14:04 »
Nice update!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #328 on: 28 April 2013, 00:15:31 »
Lets see what the cappies can do this attempt. O0
Growing up is optional.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #329 on: 14 May 2013, 19:18:19 »
   The primary goal of BAOYING was not territory.  There were plenty of under defended worlds on the Capellan border that a minimal effort could take, but holding so many gains would have been counterproductive.  The Chancellor wanted the attack to hurt the Davions morale and affect any potential future operations they might have planned, and attacking some of the more important worlds in the Capellan March was a sure way to do that.  The AFFS had rotated units from the interior and Outremer to bolster several worlds in the Alcoyne PDZ, in particular the Kittery thumb region, but transportation restraints prevented the AFFS from completing all of it's planned movements.
   Taking a page from the recent LCAF and AFFS offensives, BAOYING had two goals in mind:  The world must have a unit on it, it must have strategic value to the AFFS.  If they were able to drive the enemy forces off planet, they CCAF were to defend in case they were counterattacked, but the Chancellor himself ordered that the last ditch desperate attacks and defensive actions that took place earlier in the Fourth Succession War were not to take place, the combat viability of the unit was to be first and foremost in any Capellan commanders mind.

Valexa

The Valexa CMM was down to two Battalions of mechs, three company's having used to form Provisional Garrison Units stationed in the recently conquered Draconis March Region.  The depletion in combat power did not bother the units commander, Major General Killy Fren, as her unit had shown in previous actions against Capellan raids they could more than hold their own.  When Capellan forces appeared at the nadir jump point of the planet, the Militia moved out to the Woomera Plains, outside of the planets capital city, and waited for the enemy to arrive.
   1St and 2nd Battalions of Freemont's Cuirassiers had been savaged in Operation Riposte, and had been rebuilt to almost full strength with recent academy graduates and transfers.  Jerome Freemont, promoted to Colonel and given command of the Cuirassiers, had drilled his new command as best he could, but the memories of what had happened to his unit, and his father, on Halloran V were still fresh.    Knowing the Valexa CMM was down a Battalion of mechs evened the odds in that regards, but the Davion units reputation was built on the strength of its conventional units.  To counter this, the CCAF attached twelve of it's best conventional units to the Cuirassiers for this attack.
   At Gooloolong Heights, the mech units of each side fought a long skirmish action.  General Fren had sent her Infantry and Tank units on a wide flanking maneuver, only to have it beaten back by the Capellan conventional units.  A well placed and well timed attack by Colonel Fremont then drove the Militia off the Heights.  As the Davion unit fell back to Onamampura, the planets capital city, it was constantly harrassed by the lighter Capellan tanks and mechs. 
   A few days after the battle, one of the many seasonal thunderstorms roared across the Woomera, cutting down visibility and limiting mobility.  Using her units superior knowledge of the terrain, General Fren attempted an attack in the bad weather.  The initial contact went well for the Miltia, they drove the Curassiers back several kilometers before their lines stabilized.  However, the Capellan conventional units, in particular the heavy Hovercraft of the 10th Highspire Armored, turned the tide.  Able to move over the muddy ground with ease, the Capellan units were able to hit the Valexa tanks in the flank, driving them back.  Several were destroyed by their crews when they became mired in the muck and mud.  Meanwhile, the mechs of the Curassiers had stiffened their defense, and were slowly pushing the Davion troops back.  General Fren and her Command Lance were moving to the front when a company a Cappellan Condor tanks appeared out of the mist.  In a short firefight General Fren's mech was brought down, the mechs reactor going critical.  The General managed to eject in time, but the explosive bolts that were supposed to fire the cockpit glass out of the way malfunctioned, and General Fren was severely wounded when her chair ejected through the glass.
   Now outnumbered, and with most of their conventional units severely under-strength due to combat loses, the Militia retreated off planet to Chesterton.

Axton

Axton is a world of extremes.  Underwater volcanic activity keeps the planets oceans warm, and has created some of the most beautiful beaches in the entire Inner Sphere.  The interior of the planet is an arctic wasteland, home to some excellent skiing venues and several heavy and precious metal mines.  Colonel McCarron raided the planet during his now infamous raid, and Axton was the lone Capellan success in Operation RIPOSTE.
   The 2nd SINA Cadre had remained on planet after RIPOSTE had ended, but it was a unit in distress.  Several of its officers had been wounded during the fight at Fort Vanders during Operation RIPOSTE, and its commanding officer, Marshal Quentin Drathers, had been killed as the battle had been winding down.  The unit suffered another blow when Marshal John Hodges, the units new commanding officer, was killed in a skiing accident during the Lull.  Several of the cadre and experienced cadets had rotated out during the Lull as well, and when General Ian Rankin arrived to take command, he found a unit that was on the verge of a morale collapse.  It took the efforts of General Rankin and his new officers to bring the cadets out of their funk, and several training exercises had started building the units confidence up.  When the Interdiction came, General Rankin was wary, and put most of the unit on alert.  When nothing happened the first six weeks, he finally ended the all unit alert.  The next day, the 2nd Capellan Confederation Reserve Cavalry (CCRC) and nine conventional regiments arrived at the jump points.
   The 2nd SINA fought a delaying action up the coast back to Fort Vanders and the capital city of Barros.  The 2nd CCRC pressed their attack with vigor, driving the green cadets back.  General Rankin knew he could not hold the planet unless he was able to stop the Capellan advance, but the one flank attack he launched was driven back with heavy losses.  Unwilling to sacrifice more of his troops in an already lost cause, General Rankin pulled the 2nd SINA off planet, retreating to Tecumsah.  However before boosting off planet, the 2nd SINA did a thorough job of leaving nothing of value behind at Fort Vanders.

Bell

The 1st Battalion of the Blackwind Lancers landed on Bell with six conventional regiments, and with the help of several Maskiroka supported riots and terror acts, soon had the green mechwarriors of the 1st Bell Training Battalion on the run.  The Davion troops lone attempt at a counterattack was easily brushed aside, and they quickly retreated to Tecumsah, leaving a companies worth mechs behind. 

Moravian

The 1st Battalion of Harloc's Hussars landed on Moravian expecting to face Markson Marauders, but found the planet defended by local conventional regiments only.  With the appearance of the CCAF forces, several underground Maskirovka cells began to attack the militia depots and formations.  By the time the Hussars mechs landed, the militias morale was already fragile, and it only took a few short, sharp battles to convince them to surrender.

Cammal

The 2nd Battalion of Harlocs Hussars found themselves in a similar situation to their sister Battalion, but the Cammal militia held out for three weeks, and in one battle managed to destroy or damage two lances of mechs with a combined Armor and Infantry assault.  However, numerically superior Capellan forces recovered quickly, and forced the Davion militia units surrender two weeks later.

Thanks for reading, more to come this week!

Dav
« Last Edit: 14 May 2013, 19:20:38 by Davout73 »

Register