Author Topic: Exile in Syberia  (Read 41141 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Exile in Syberia
« Reply #120 on: 13 September 2021, 18:28:42 »
Frustrating is the word, yep...  :-\

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #121 on: 13 September 2021, 22:46:37 »
Wow, what treat. I think it's been couple years since we had entry!   It be hilarious if the Leopard had AI put into it!  It ended up being Skylinks.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #122 on: 17 September 2021, 15:15:39 »
It lives for sure.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #123 on: 01 January 2022, 00:33:38 »
Warning: this topic blah, blah, blah 90 days.  I'm posting anyway!

1st, Happy 2022!!!

2nd, I spent the better part of the last 1.5 hours reading through this ... oops.  Wife will not be happy.

3rd, OMG such a good and fun read.

"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #124 on: 01 January 2022, 04:13:47 »
Warning: this topic blah, blah, blah 90 days.  I'm posting anyway!

1st, Happy 2022!!!

2nd, I spent the better part of the last 1.5 hours reading through this ... oops.  Wife will not be happy.

3rd, OMG such a good and fun read.

Thanks!  Story's not dead, but:

1) I've been kind of sucked into other stuff I've been reading lately, including Cannonshop's latest, "War is a Grave".

2) I've been stuck on plot points between my three stories, which will be shaped a bit by what we're seeing in Cannonshop's latest iteration of his 'verse.

"Exile in Syberia", "Adventures of the Beer Keg of Science!" and "Emergence" were always vaguely related, but as I started writing them, became moreso, and some of the plot points that are happening in one story will shape the others.

For example, as we've seen in this story, Groundwave was found on a cargo ship sent to Syberia by the human Terran Hegemony garrison before their local apocalypse.  Here's the thing, though: that cargo ship would have likely been sent around the time that "Emergence" is taking place, and there's a good chance that Admiral Murakami would have known about it.  Also, we've had the personality core of an old M-4 drone show up now in this story.  Where else do we see the personality core of an M-4 drone?  In Niops, shoved into the converted Cruiser-class NMS Beer Keg of Science!, which happens to be commanded by a Carpentier...which also happens to be the surname of Admiral Murakami's aide.

Here's a question, though: what kind of JumpShip or WarShip brought Groundwave to Syberia and presumably left behind a Leopard class DropShip and an M-4's AI core?  Whatever ships were being sent to the California Nebula were presumably on a one-way trip since we know, thanks to the sourcebook, that you pretty much can't leave once you get there, so these were essentially disposable ships.  Whatever type of ship was used could theoretically be hanging around the outer reaches of the Syberia system, forgotten or deleted from the records of the AutoMechs, whose programming may include blocks on acknowledging the existence of these ships.

I'd really like to do other stories where Groundwave eventually makes it off of Syberia and ends up exploring/interacting with other worlds in the California Nebula.  if I do that, though, his ride out will end up having a huge impact on other stories, though, especially when I get to the Star Empire: a conventional JumpShip would be bait, whereas smaller WarShips or Primitive JumpShips faster than 1/2 have a hope of outrunning them (picture a Baron/M-4 or Vincent taking potshots with NACs against 1/2 thrust Imperial Star Destroyers, who find their shields useless against NAC shells), or bigger vessels like Lolas/M-5s or older disposable ships under 800,000 tons.

And of course there's the small matter of my son suggesting I play a PC based on a WSP-1 Wasp in our D&D game, which now takes place on Toreel.

Edit: It's also worth noting that "War is a Grave" the earlier series by Cannonshop it's based on, and the "And I Feel Fine..." series by Liam's_Ghost have had a major effect on one of the biggest questions about the California Nebula: why would you settle there at all if you're stuck there once you enter?  What's the point?
« Last Edit: 01 January 2022, 04:28:32 by Giovanni Blasini »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #125 on: 01 January 2022, 06:24:37 »
Edit: It's also worth noting that "War is a Grave" the earlier series by Cannonshop it's based on, and the "And I Feel Fine..." series by Liam's_Ghost have had a major effect on one of the biggest questions about the California Nebula: why would you settle there at all if you're stuck there once you enter?  What's the point?

Do tell!

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #126 on: 01 January 2022, 14:19:52 »
Uh, because the alternative to settling down is to die?  ???

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #127 on: 01 January 2022, 15:16:09 »
Perhaps it’s also a region of space where, at least in theory, they thought Cthulhoid entities and other possible extraterrestrials couldn’t enter.

Doesn’t mean they’re right, of course.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #128 on: 01 January 2022, 15:28:29 »
Well, even if they can enter, there's no guarantee they could escape again.  If you're trying to draw those entities away from your main civiliazation, it wouldn't be a bad option...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #129 on: 01 January 2022, 16:13:46 »
Certainly little twist in deed.   Those story will become Exile in California Nebula. Sounds like side story to me.

I had hoped you'd get into conflict and explore other parts of Siberia myself.  Keep going!  Have fun with it!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #130 on: 01 January 2022, 17:09:55 »
Oh, we’ll still be on Syberia for quite a while. ;)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #131 on: 01 January 2022, 21:16:49 »
Would it ruin your day to say that I have, in fact, written a possible cause for the CalNeb effect, and how--short of an act of god/author fiat--the prognosis for escape is basically nil without some sort of tech yet to be discovered?

(Oh, and that I now have a map for it...?)

- Herb

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #132 on: 01 January 2022, 22:14:13 »
You two(Herb and Gio) are being absolute teases!

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #133 on: 01 January 2022, 22:30:56 »
Would it ruin your day to say that I have, in fact, written a possible cause for the CalNeb effect, and how--short of an act of god/author fiat--the prognosis for escape is basically nil without some sort of tech yet to be discovered?

- Herb

Not a ruin at all, but something that would draw a great many of us out.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #134 on: 01 January 2022, 22:59:44 »

- Herb

No.  That would, in fact, be fabulously helpful.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #135 on: 02 January 2022, 09:32:05 »
Fabulous is an understatement!  Consistent world building should be lauded everywhere it's found!  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #136 on: 02 January 2022, 12:01:10 »

- Herb

Map?  :thumbsup:
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 02 January 2022, 12:23:32 »

- Herb

HYPERDRIVE!!!! .... "No, Hyperdrive?" ... "They told me they fixed it! ... it's not my fault, it's not my fault!"

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #138 on: 02 January 2022, 14:34:32 »
HYPERDRIVE!!!! .... "No, Hyperdrive?" ... "They told me they fixed it! ... it's not my fault, it's not my fault!"

What do you mean we don't have the glyph for the point of origin?

"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #139 on: 02 January 2022, 18:56:04 »
What do you mean we don't have the glyph for the point of origin?

They've gone Plaid!

Maybe Herb is right.  ... naaaaaaah!

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #140 on: 02 January 2022, 19:31:30 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #141 on: 02 January 2022, 19:43:23 »
Scale?  :D

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #142 on: 02 January 2022, 20:05:43 »
Really need to figure out my Gundam expy star system proposal.

Aquila_Tequila

• Recruit
« Reply #143 on: 02 January 2022, 21:02:06 »
Oh man, those scuffed out system names got me thinking and excited. Eventually is there going Welcome To Nebula California 2: KF-Drive Boogaloo?

Also for those who homebrew up crossovers (or as close as BT will ever get), what CANNOT be included?

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #144 on: 02 January 2022, 22:23:55 »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #145 on: 02 January 2022, 23:07:34 »
Map!

- Herb

That helps out a lot.  It also leaves me with so many questions.

Of the ones you might be able to answer, is the area that appears to be the nebula proper (the lighter part) the actual California Nebula, with the other worlds adjacent to it, or is it a particular region within the California Nebula, and we're just seeing a portion of it?  The nebula itself is estimated to be 60 light-years in length, so that would also give me an idea of the distance between worlds in the map.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #146 on: 03 January 2022, 00:06:53 »
Scale?  :D

The sphere is approximately 198 LY across.

Also for those who homebrew up crossovers (or as close as BT will ever get), what CANNOT be included?

The goal is really just to have a situation that can work and play with the rules of the BattleTech universe, and be fun while doing so. Remember the roots and the lore of the setting, and bear in mind that the denizens of the Nebula can come from any time period from the Age of War through the Dark Age, but the more recent you get, the less drift from the norm they should have. Cataclysms and conflict can change them, to be sure, but any new societies and politics should be built upon something rooted in BT lore, leaving at least some trace behind. If that disaster is recent, the setting will still be in an unstable flux. If not, it should be reaching or at a new equilibrium based on how much they lost or got set back by the various disasters. By comparison, a group that just got there and suffered NO crises will basically be another marooned group from the Inner Sphere.

(Toreel recalls the Inner Sphere as some ancient forgotten realms of myth, but retains languages and cultural features that would not be wholly unheard of on any low-tech Inner Sphere backwater, while their altered bioforms hint at Star League-era gene-modding. Meanwhile, the AutoMechs of Syberia retain a resemblance to and the construction standards for Star League-era BattleMechs, but only ape the appearance of personalities via clever programming and randomized scripting on what is basically a deviated form of robotic drone tech. And then there's the hyper-populated Star Empire, whose tech is actually severely inferior to the Inner Sphere because they got stranded there sometime in the 2200s, before K-F tech, weaponry, and ship design reached full maturity--and the 'Mechs they've developed are only reaching pre-Star League utility in the 3100s!)

Try and work the tech drift based on what's reasonable in this setting, and try to avoid too much power creep; otherwise it won't likely be fun at all for any "normies" who cross paths with your uniqueness. It's okay to challenge your players, but if they can't have an impact, why would a story with them involved even be interesting? Give some hard limits as well; the magic and superhero stuff in the Nebula are restricted to their worlds (even though the "why?" of it is never explained at all, and theories abound that some of it isn't magic at all, but tech cosmetically made to look magical).

Meanwhile, most of the space-capable groups are sublight-only, which keeps them containable to just a system or two, so they can't immediately corrupt the entire nebula zone. (If the answer to their needs literally lies next door, how long could a resource-deprived faction remain so once they learn how to jump through space again?) IE's stranded ships are perhaps the only viable visitors who can "cross the realms" as a result of this, making them a vehicle for the audience and a neutral faction who can observe and slightly corrupt things as they go on a small scale, but they didn't bring shipyards to keep their JumpShips going, any more than all the other stranded peoples here did, so it's just a matter of time before they have to settle someplace.

Aliens are particularly hard to force in as TRUE aliens, given the way the BT universe HATES the concept at a core level, but there are workarounds like bio-modified humans and/or mutations that tweak the genome juuuuust enough to make it different. (As such, human-normative settings, such as most fantasy realms and Star Trek, where just about everyone has two arms and two legs, all in the same places, are easier to deal with than ones in which every species is wholly incompatible and unrelated to the human experience.) The Genecaste might have a chance here, even though they're almost certainly not a real or relevant thing to the actual BT universe.

Special Note: While the Tetatae are BT canon, the fact that my most serious attempt to produce a Halloween-theme adventure featuring them in a far-future Inner Sphere was STILL considered to radical for CGL to buy and publish it should underscore just how extreme the anti-alien bias of the core setting truly is; I could get away with a mock alien invasion story for the War of the Tripods, but when I brought in the one sapient non-human species we KNEW existed, it was still a no-fly zone, even as a joke.]

Keep all these things in mind, and if you can justify a way to get there using the BT setting and technology as a starting point, while avoiding the pitfalls I described above, then your idea has as good a chance at fitting into the CNAZ (California Nebula Anomalous Zone) as any of the ones I actually published!

Hope that helps.

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #147 on: 03 January 2022, 00:18:27 »
Of the ones you might be able to answer, is the area that appears to be the nebula proper (the lighter part) the actual California Nebula, with the other worlds adjacent to it, or is it a particular region within the California Nebula, and we're just seeing a portion of it?  The nebula itself is estimated to be 60 light-years in length, so that would also give me an idea of the distance between worlds in the map.

I did a bunch of research on the dimensions, distance, and nature of the California Nebula, and have found that, in all, it spans perhaps 100 LY in length, but is almost certainly NOT a spherical phenomenon as a typical stellar-explosion sourced nebula would tend to be. Indeed, the real California Nebula is believed to be more of a part of a Perseus-Cepherus Cloud Complex and a stellar nursery of dust that is still coalescing, rather than dispersing. (It is also said that Menkhib is inside or otherwise in the CalNeb's vicinity, as it is thought to be the source of its illumination, but in our BT universe, the star and the nebula are thousands of LY apart--albeit at least in the same general direction, relative to Terra.)

All my research, spotty though it might be, combined with the distance values I gave for the worlds found in Welcome to the Nebula California (because of course I did some of this verification only after the fact!) have forced me to conclude that the blob of gray is the whole nebula, and that it actually makes up only a portion of what I have been calling the California Nebula Anomalous Zone--CNAZ, for short.

It ALSO means our intrepid explorers from IE crossed into the bubble a bit sooner than they (or we) previously thought.

But what did you expect? Nobody even put up road signs out there!

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #148 on: 03 January 2022, 04:22:42 »
Thanks for the scale, Herb!  :thumbsup:

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #149 on: 03 January 2022, 10:31:49 »
There are a few threads down in the Fan Rules forums area that have tried to expand on what can be in the nebula as well.

But one of the things I found that is an additional constraint is how many other sci fi properties could happily exist in Battletech proper.

I think I'll just let people find those threads down in Fan Rules and let them pick one to carry on such a discussion in as that'd probably be a better place for it so we don't keep cluttering up this story thread.