Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL)  (Read 326852 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL)
« Reply #1080 on: 03 March 2015, 09:09:23 »
Time to end 3096

Pirate Raids
Turtle Bay, Alberio Prefecture
Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine
12th December 3096

Stories of a mysterious BattleMech lance that had terrorized the periphery worlds of the Draconis Combine in early 3096 had spread like wildfire despite the Kurita Government's best efforts to keep things under wraps.  As a result of these whispered stories many worlds had been on edge worried of another attack some of these worlds had begun hiring small mercenary commands or raising “Citizens Militia” to supplement their defensive forces one such world was Turtle Bay in the Alberio Prefecture.

The world Turtle Bay was infamous in the history of the Inner Sphere for the Turtle Bay Massacre in 3050 by Clan Smoke Jaguar.  Following heavy riots in the city of Edo the Smoke Jaguars had withdrawn from the City, causing the resistance to declare victory, only for the Smoke Jaguars to call in orbital fire support on the city killing millions as Edo was flattened.

With one massacre behind them Turtle Bay intended on making sure this did not happen again hiring three small mercenary commands.  One of these were a lance in strength of four Mechs many people said that they didn't recognize the designs however for the first two weeks the lance was an additional security force for the planet.  However on a cold Tuesday morning when the lance made its move during the night they had repainted their Mechs red, black and white charging through the spaceport they opened fire on multiple facilities cutting down dozens of workers.  Before the four Mechs entered their DropShip, an Aurora-class DropShip, they turned their guns on the planetary spaceport's command terminal and tracking dishes destroying them.

Raven Colonization
Raven Alliance, Periphery
19th December 3096

When Clan Snow Raven joined with the Outworlds Alliance, to form the Raven Alliance, they made certain promises to the periphery nation to push into the territories that had formerly been held by the Outworlds Alliance.  Due to border conflicts the Ravens had been unable to keep this promise however now that there was peace the Snow Ravens launched recolonization efforts onto Flynn and Gayle two of the long abandoned worlds.  Even as these colonization efforts continue the Snow Ravens continue to look at nearly a dozen further worlds.

Test Flight
New Avalon, Crucis March
Federated Suns
25th December 3096

For nine months Sterling McKenna had been separated from the Snow Raven Clan, her home for her entire life until now, she had no complaints Burton Davion's word that she would be welcome on New Avalon was not wrong.  Burton's father Victor Davion the man who had ended the Clan War had welcomed and her son with open arms while his wife Danai, who she knew was a Clan War veteran, had dotted on them constantly.  Burton's younger sister, Sarah, a civilian had quickly become a close friend and often helped care for Luther the youngest of Victor's children Sarah had one child of her own Brian Davion aged two years old who she often took along as well.

It was an easy family life but one that was suffocating her she was a warrior she had fought almost every enemy of her Clan personally and won dozens of hand-to-hand battles.  Burton must have seen that something was wrong as he'd arranged for her to have a trip to a landing strip outside Avalon City there she'd found a pair of Davion built Dagger OmniFighters and her flight suit which had somehow made it here from the Davion Palace.  With the suit was a note which read simply “Enjoy, B” she'd wasted no time in changing and was soon high in the atmosphere of New Avalon with a wing man matching her moves.

The Dagger was not as advanced as the Clan designs she had flown but as an OmniFighter it was still one of the more advanced fighters produced by the Inner Sphere.  Sterling slipped the fighter left and right keeping the aerospace fighter's speed up she rolled the fighter over onto its back looking up through the canopy down at the planet below before rolling back around to proper flight.  “Buster, Raven, you think we could take these things down low?”  She suggested high flying was nice.

“The Dina flight range isn't far away let me confirm the skies are clear” he replied moments later her system activated again “Raven, Buster, we're clear to enter Dina Flight Range.”

“Try to keep up” Sterling said laughing rolling her fighter over and diving towards the ground her wing mate followed with a less elaborate dive through the atmosphere towards the ground.  Within minutes the two OmniFighters were flying less than twenty metres above the tree covered mountain tops as Sterling flew as close to the limit as her fighter would let her.  As they dived and rose through the peaks Sterling saw the town of Ranford, which they quickly passed, coming out of the mountains over Chretian River heading out over the Viviane Ocean.  “Heading back up” Sterling said seeing the rolling ocean ahead of her fighter the two Daggers rose in a steady climb until they were back in the upper atmosphere almost to the point where they could reach out and touch the space surrounding the world.  “You will not miss me forever” she whispered looking up through the cockpit glass.

“Raven, was that for me?”  Buster asked innocently she knew he'd have heard her.

“Negative, Buster, let's head back to the barn.”  She said turning her fighter into a dive, she'd gotten the taste of flight back, she now needed to work out how to balance that with her new life.

Testing Accident
Illium Naval Engineering Shipyards, Ionus
Marik-Stewart Commonwealth, Former, Free Worlds League
31st December 3096

After successfully being able to trade for Naval Pulse Laser technology from Clan Sea Fox the Illium Naval Engineering Shipyards of Ionus attempt to fit them to their newest Zechetinu II-class Corvette.  The vessel, which is half built and lacks maneuvering engines, is towed to testing grounds near the shipyards.  Initially it appears that these new weapons are able to function with the capital pulse lasers striking down several asteroids with concentrated fire.  The engineers allow the systems to cool down evaluating their test results all seems fine with the ship and the weapons when they power up for a second test on this occasion a massive overload rips through the vessel's hull consuming the partially completed corvette in fire with all hands lost.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1081 on: 03 March 2015, 09:54:21 »
WarShip list for the end of 3096 not much change I realized I haven't blown many up recently  >:( I will rectify that in the coming year  ;D
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #1082 on: 03 March 2015, 15:47:24 »
WarShip list for the end of 3096 not much change I realized I haven't blown many up recently  >:( I will rectify that in the coming year  ;D

NOOO, Must have BIG naval battle with like 40+ ships :D now THAT would be cool, and coincide that with a awesome ground battle and a awesome personel battle, AKA, End of Return of the Jedi style. Now THAT would be awesome! :D Whose with me in voting for this??? :D

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #1083 on: 03 March 2015, 16:39:40 »
I'm always up for a warship rumble!

Why do you think I've designed so many?
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1084 on: 04 March 2015, 05:24:33 »
NOOO, Must have BIG naval battle with like 40+ ships :D now THAT would be cool, and coincide that with a awesome ground battle and a awesome personel battle, AKA, End of Return of the Jedi style. Now THAT would be awesome! :D Whose with me in voting for this??? :D

We definately need something on the scale of Endor :p

But would any nation risk it...thats the problem.  And really who has the forces to do so? Well we've got what ever the Wolves are doing with 10 warships of undisclosed types being loaned to them, which could well drag in the Clans who loaned the warships because of guilt by association...and i'm sure we'll get some big naval whangs and bangs thanks to Dragoncat's exceptional story telling :)

And that picture above is especially relevant considering that the Wolves have one of the few surviving McKenna's in existance :p  Of course I'd hope they would modernise her to make her be the true killer she was. Personally i'd sacrifice some of that monstrous cargo bay to take some CIWS and AMS as a priority.

Okay scratch the unknowns assigned to the Wolves.

From the Cats we have 1 x Anne Rosse class BC, 2 x Aegis class CA, 1 x Liger class CL, 1 x Drake Class Corvette and a Yardship for logistics support.

From the Ravens we have 1 x Texas Class BB, 2 x Kingamure Class CA/CL's, 2 x Lola III class DD and a Potemkin class Assault ship that I assume would be carrying out the role of logistics and support instead of carrying ground forces save for those sent to guard the world they are given by the Wolves as payment for this loan.

Interesting that they sent the Texas class, perhaps because of her ties and loyalty to the former Khan? 

Looking at numbers alone this gives the Wolves

1 x McKenna BB (6 dropships 50 fighters)
2 x Texas BB (12 dropships 80 fighters)
1 x Black Lion BC (4 Dropships 20 fighters)
3 x Anne Ross BC (18 dropships 150 fighters!)
2 x Sovietsky Soyuz (modernised) CA (10 dropships 60 fighters)
2 x Aegis CA (4 Dropships 40 fighters)
1 x Hyperion CA (36 fighters possibly altered to fit Clan base 5?)
2 x Kingamure CL/CA (24 fighters possibly altered to fit Clan base 5, 4 dropships)
1 x Liger CL (4 Dropships 150 fighters wait..what? She's a Carrier..not a CL..)
1 x Essex DD (10 fighters)
2 x Lola III DD (20 fighters)
1 x Vincent CV (10 fighters)
1 x Drake CV (20 fighters, 2 Dropships)

A grand total of

3 Battleships
4 Battlecruisers
8 Cruisers
3 Destroyers
2 Corvettes 
670 ASF
64 Dropships/PWS.

20 ships in total not counting transports.

But this is only if the Clans forces are concentrated en mass which can't really happen as they will no doubt be striking at multiple systems at once where ever they are going. But to call up such forces does to me indicate that they are looking very pointedly at Terra and the SLDF fleet that stands in their way as well as that of Clan Mountain Wolf who can mass together a far more mixbag polygot fleet;

1 x McKenna BB (50 fighters 6 dropships)
2 x Black Lion BC (40 fighters 8 dropships)
1 x Tharkad BC (crippled and probably won't be in action 6 dropships, 36 fighters)
2 x Patriot CA (40 fighters 8 Dropships)
1 x Kigamure CA/CL (modified testbed unknown fighter/Dropship compliment, my books at home :p)
1 x Covenant CA (Unknown ASF/Dropship capacity could not find her data)
1 x Suffren DD (4 Dropships possibly 8 fighters)
1 x Davion III DD (2 Dropships 22 Fighters)
1 x Essex DD (6 fighters)
2 x Republic FF (unknown could not find her data)
1 x Congress II FF (6/10/12 fighters? 2 Dropships, fighters unknown as I could not find her data)
1 x Hound CV (20 fighters, 2 Dropships)
1 x Vincent Mk 42 CV (6 fighters)
1 x Coventry CV (20 fighters, 2 dropships
1 x Inzuma II CV (3 dropships 6 fighters)
1 x Carrack CL (12 fighters 2 dropships)

1 BB
2 BC (with a 3rd under repair)
4 CA/CL
3 DD
3 FF
5 CV/CL
266 - 300 ASF
41 - 45 Dropship/PWS

Assuming that Terra is once again on the Wolves WE ARE GOING HERE map then in numbers the fleets are roughly even but the Clan force is far more homegenous as well as being far more top heavy with greater preponderance of capital ships vs far weaker corvettes and destroyers.  And if these two forces have a proper stand up punch up...then bloody hell..that would be spectacular but it would gut the naval strength of both forces.  Also massed together the Clan fleet would bring far more dropships and ASF's to the table, but the Clans generally lack decent Assault Dropships or PWS (I do not know if the Isegrim is in production with Clan Wolf but would assume so and the Clans seem to lack anything resembling an assault Dropship going off TRO3057 other than the Noruff) whilst the Inner Sphere has a far wider range of assault dropships and PWS available to them especially the Tiamat and Interdictor.

I know this is raw numbers if both full fleets jumped into a system *cough* Terra *cough* and decided to do a full on fisticuffs but still it would be one HELL of a punch up. And this fleet comparison also does bring to light the chance of a McKenna vs McKenna punch up...

And yes I put too much thought into this, it was lunch and I was bored.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2015, 02:10:58 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1085 on: 06 March 2015, 18:06:25 »
And after all that analysis and thoughts your reward is.....

Anyway carrying on  ;D

I'm having trouble posting the most recent map on OBT which Knightmare is working on.  So if you want a map PM me your Email and I can shoot you a copy of it for the end of 3096.

Into 3097

Cassandra, Fire Mandrill Primary Enclave
All Dawn, Rim Collection
Periphery
7th January 3097

Karen Able slowly wobbled her way through the crowd, arm in arm with Light Commodore Matthew Davion of the Federated Suns, as they slowly navigated the party they both had to admit they were enjoying themselves. The party was a part of the military and industrial expo the Rim Collection was putting on for interested parties and served its part in allowing high and mid-level corporate and military officers and politicians to mingle together as they debuted the Deathstalker BattleMech to the public and a new OmniVehicle which would be entering the Rim Collection's Armed Forces.  The Deathstalker was a fifty ton quad design based on the Scorpion BattleMech originally designed by Clan Goliath Scorpion the design was entirely built with Clan technology with production shared between the Mandrills, Rim Collection and the Sphinx Raptors.  The OmniVehicle was based on Clan technology but built with Inner Sphere grade materials and could be built at several factories across the Collection weighing in at seventy tons the vehicle, originally named Diomedes, was a design originally bought from the former-Free Worlds League and had been adapted for use in the Rim Collection as a defence tank named the Macaque.

Karen's presence here with Matthew also served to finally end the rumors of who was the father of the realm’s next Able due to arrive in another eleven weeks. They had not yet decided where their relationship would go, but so far, they found they both were still enjoying each other’s company. Still she knew Matthew Davion would ultimately decide when the time for him to leave the Collection was near; even though she'd began to hope he'd want to stay.

“It seems the Rim Collection’s new clanners are fish out of water,” Matthew joked low to her, causing her to giggle, as they passed a frustrated and flustered Justine Truscott who was the center of attention of a small group of Rim Collection politicians and businessmen and women, looking to take advantage of the endangered Sphinx Raptors. While the clan, formed from Khan Dante Truscott’s followers and bloodhouse, at the moment formed four clusters of much needed warriors and equipment, they offered little else, instead relying on the generosity of the Collection and the Mandrills to help them rebuild. Even their clusters were still understrength even after seven months of rebuilding. It would take a long, long time, for the Raptors to rebuild their society.

“And it looks as if the Mandrills are enjoying it,” she added, as she nodded in the direction of a group of Mandrill warriors at the center of a much larger group, seemingly enjoying themselves.

“That they do,” Matthew replied to his date for the night. “My government was surprised yours chose the Mandrill’s backyard this week’s festivities,” he admitted to her, finally able to go into a line of questioning he needed answered.

“More like your government still has worries about the Mandrills and their military and political power within the Collection,” Karen retorted.

“With the Cauldron of Blood incident and you and your father’s stonewalling our investigation into the matter, my government has a right to be concerned,” he replied back “Concerned enough that my princely cousin has offered to get involved,” he warned her, causing her to stop for a moment to look at him.

“I agree, privately. Publicly, I must support my father,” she relayed to him as they continued their walk among the crowd, discretely heading to the new equipment, where they could have some privacy to speak without being overheard by the other guests.

Reaching a table located near the Mech, Matthew pulled out a seat and helped Karen into it, then grabbed a seat for himself. “You know something, Karen, and you’re not telling me,” he stated after studying her for a moment.

“Enough to know the Cauldron of Blood was perhaps planned from the start by hardliners within Clan Fire Mandrill who view the agreement with the Collection as anathema and sacrilege to their society, especially with the arrival of the Sphinx Raptors and the AFFS.” She informed him a moment later.

“My god,” he replied, shock. “I can understand why you and your father have been stonewalling us.” He well knew this news could well mean the end of the not-so-quite-alliance between the Rim Collection and the Federated Suns.

“Khan Showers does wish to deal with all those involved though,” Karen continued. “Due to internal reasons, she can’t touch them, at least not yet, and my father has not the stomach to potentially anger the Mandrills by siding with what he sees as a short term ally of convenience without strong evidence.”

“Evidence Khan Showers has, but can’t share due to the unstated internal problems,” Matthew caught on.

“Exactly,” Karen replied nodding to him as she leaned against the table. “However, if this whole matter regarding the Cauldron of Blood and how the hardliners instigated it comes to light in the press on the Federated Suns end and the First Prince publicly calls for an investigation by a third party nation while also supporting both the Mandrills and the Collection and shows he is willing to works with them still, my father and the Khan can then act against the hardliners without any issue.”

“I see,” he replied to her, taking a long moment to mull what Karen was presenting to him, quickly seeing through his upstart lover due to how she presented a way out of it. “Clan Fire Mandrill can’t be seen as being under attack by the Mandrill rank and file and because of my and General Redburn‘s accusations going through the proper channels and the media, they see us attempting to destroy their alliance with your nation and the hardliners are fanning the fire, forcing Khan Showers to publicly support them or lose her integrity within the clan,” he surmised.

“Because the Mandrills, at least publicly, has closed ranks against us, your father cannot move against the hardliners either without appearing to be moving against the rest of the Mandrills. By that same token, he can’t move against us publicly as the Collection would lose its only external military ally it has at the moment against the Spirits, thus the stonewalling and publicly calling for evidence to back our accusations. Diplomatic nightmare, I call it,” he ended as he crossed his arms across his chest.

“Yes, quite,” Karen reluctantly agreed with him as she toyed with her dress, embarrassed at her diplomacy being so easily seen through by Matthew. “Still, it matches well with his known political agenda concerning clans,” she argued.

“Private reasons as well,” Matthew murmured, more to himself, catching Karen by surprise.

“Private reasons,” Karen asked, before her eyes darted to her pregnant belly, assuming it is their child he is talking about.

“That helps,” Matthew led her on, privately kicking himself for nearly letting out information on Burton Davion hauling a son and the former Khan of the Snow Ravens back to New Avalon.  The family on New Avalon had enough issues with “the Clans” he though in a wide generalization, of course his own branch on Victoria were not so pleased with him either at the moment, to hell with it he thought he was happier here in the Collection than he had been in a while.

“If he agrees to handle the situation as you presented, what does the Federated Suns get out of it,” he asked Karen, startling her, turning her attention back to him.

“Of course,” Karen answered diplomatically. “As surkei, I believe I can get Mandrills to agree to replace the destroyed BattleMechs with ones off their lines at no cost, provided the new ones match the weight of the ones destroyed with Rampage BattleMechs replacing any destroyed Assaults.”  She suggested knowing the rebuilding Fox's Teeth still needed several Mechs to complete their TO&E “of course, the next-generational BattleMech we debuted today we cannot allow in this agreement.” She waved her hand at the nearby Mech as she said the latter before placing it back on her pregnant stomach. “The Collection itself will continue to cover any medical costs to those wounded and will match the individual death benefits your nation provided for the deceased and will offer its education system for their families.”  She said knowing the Federated Suns had little need to the last offer but it was worth it.

Both knew it was a respectable deal, even a great deal for the Federated Suns. “If you can get the Mandrills to agree to replace our destroyed equipment, I can get the First Prince to support the Khan,” he agreed. “otherwise he'll likely call for a full investigation by an independent body likely the MRBC” Matthew warned her.

“MRBC! Christ! Do you realize how much that’ll tick off my clanners!” she hissed at him before sighing and relaxing back in her seat. “Fine. Don’t know how this will work at the moment, but I’ll figure something out,” she grunted to him. “Now if you can help me up and escort me to Khan Showers, we can hopefully take care of this tonight,” she told him as she offered a hand out.

Getting up, he grabbed her hand, helping her out of her seat. As she took his offered arm, he led her back into the party to find the Mandrill Khan.

Planetary Assault
Necromo, Sian Commonality
Capellan Confederation
19th January 3097

At six in the morning a group of six DropShips head into the Necromo system from far beyond the planetary system.  Initially traveling at nearly 4G acceleration the ships completely avoid the naval defenders of the system diving into the atmosphere.  The ships enter the atmosphere with four of the DropShips accelerating rapidly towards various cities commencing suicide runs into the cities killing thousands and the ships; which were packed with explosives exploded showering the cities in shrapnel.

The final two DropShips land on the planet deploying dozens of BattleMechs which cause further heavy damage to the planet's cities before Capellan Confederation Armed Forces defenders surround them in the planetary capital, which they had begun to dig into, there the CCAF forces eliminate them over the course of nearly three weeks of brutal fighting.  Following the end of the fighting a state of emergency is declared on Necromo as few if any of the planet's towns and cities even have power, health care and other emergency services are nearly non-existent.  High above the planet the Capellan Shipyards continue to function as if little had changed in the system, the attack seemingly designed to break Necromo and cause death instead of crippling the Capellan Confederation.

St Ives Command Building
St Ives, St Ives PDZ
Capellan March, Federated Suns
28th January 3097

As he entered the office he noticed Major Jaylen Davion sitting at the desk looking through a large bunch of paperwork like she had been for the last two weeks.  She'd done her investigation work now it seemed she was drowning under a sea of paperwork.  “Still hard at work at this hour?”  He asked

“How late is it?”  She asked looking up with heavy eyes.

“After nine” Tristen said he was out of uniform leaning against the door frame.

“Damn” she raising to her feet “did you see off Marco and Justin?”  She asked earlier that day Tristen's cousins Marko and Justin Rubinsky had left for the NAIS intent on joining the AFFS.

“Yes we all did” he said “it was like saying goodbye to them forever” St Ives had been such a close place before joining the Federated Suns; now they all had so much opportunities.

“I know that feeling” she admitted it had been years since she had been with all her family in one place they all lived busy lives serving the Federated Suns.

“But we'll always be linked”

“Through blood and tears?”  She asked sometimes she felt alone she was part of the AFFS but she was a Davion, literally a daughter of the First Prince which attracted many people to the power or influence they expected her to hold.

“Other things too, any plans tonight?”  He asked

“You mean of what's left of the night?”  She half joked “sleep?  There's a lot going on”

“Fancy a detour?  It won't take long?”  He promised her she nodded and followed him from the building they didn't go far down a couple of streets to the St Ives Memorial Museum.  Because of Tristen's family connections they were allowed in hours after it had closed to the public.  “This is what links us” he said looking at the many times rebuilt Centurion BattleMech  Yeng lo Wang she knew that this was not the original Mech which had been destroyed when Duke Kai Allard-Liao had died in its cockpit.  “Its service and its pilots service created our nation and our bond” he said “even though St Ives is now a Federated Suns world the story of this Mech and its legacy will forever bond us long after our lives have past.”

“You know who ordered the attack on Sian” she said finally after several moments of silence looking at the fifty ton Mech.

“Yes” he admitted he'd been with her for her entire investigation and never said a word nor had he, as far as she could tell, obstructed her investigation.

“I won't stop” she said defiantly feeling more than a little deceived.

“I know” he said “Jaylen that is what drives you, it's what links you to your brothers and sisters a spirit that goes beyond the distance of space or the passing of lives, you all believe that there is nothing that can stop you.”  He said looking at her then back to the Yeng Lo Wang replica “that's what drives us.”

“Fifty tons of metal and myomer?”  She asked dismissively

“The idea that a single man or machine can make a difference.”  He said finally

“And your difference is to stop me uncovering the truth?”

“I will not hinder you in any way, Major, however I will not point you at them or their graves either.”  He said formally turning away from the Mech.

“Where are you going?”  She asked not moving

“I cannot in good conscience remain as your aide during this investigation; and you cannot trust me not to lead you astray.  I wished you to understand” he said looking at the Mech “family means a great deal to us on these worlds.”

“Family means a great deal to me as well” she admitted “the investigation is closed, Tristen, I closed it this afternoon” she explained “I suspected that there was those within the St Ives commands hiding who was responsible; or at least protecting their memory.”  She said she hadn't thought it had risen as far as Tristen however it didn't completely take her by surprise “New Avalon wishes to know that this will not happen again?”  Tristen nodded there wasn't enough supporters of the movement who were well enough placed left alive to ensure anything further could happen as they wished.  “Then it is done with, ensuring that New Avalon starts a future war with the Capellans is all they want.”  She said “how about dinner?”  She asked she had no need to be alone tonight.

“Excellent idea I know the perfect place, Major” he said offering her his arm.

“Stop calling me that” she said slipping her arm in his.

“Yes Duchess”

“Tristen...”

“Jaylen” he finally said using her name like he had a hundred times before.

“Shut up and walk”

“Yes boss” he said laughing with her as they finally made their way away from the silent fifty ton Mech.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1086 on: 07 March 2015, 04:46:41 »
As always, superb :) The politicking was great as well :)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1087 on: 09 March 2015, 16:46:24 »
Less politics more intelligence and mystery

Graduation Ceremony
Thorin University, Thorin
Isle of Skye, Lyran Commonwealth
8th February 3097

At the graduation ceremony of Thorin University Dana Carlyle daughter of the Baron von Glengarry Alexander Carlyle and his wife Samantha Logan-Carlyle becomes a qualified medical doctor.  Ignoring a string of offers from Lyran Commonwealth and Isle of Skye hospitals and research facilities to instead accept a position at a facility on Terra.

Lyran Intelligence Reports
Clan Wolf Occupation Zone
13th February 3097

From imbedded spies in the Wolf Occupation Zone and from scouting patrols the Lyran Commonwealth assess that the worlds of Rasalgethi, Fort Loudon and Kelenfold have been completely abandoned by Clan Wolf.  Acting quickly LCAF, Clan Mountain Wolf and supporting mercenary forces are dispatched to the planets confirming little to no resistance as each is liberated within hours.

Further scouting discovers that Udea and Karbala, both previously Wolf holdings are in the hands of the Rasalhague Dominion while Clan Jade Falcon has captured Cusset, Blota and Montmarault.  The remaining four “Wolf” border worlds are occupied by Clan Coyote forces which up until now had been considered to be the Wolves “junior” partner in the Occupation Zone scouting forces to each of the worlds find them heavily occupied.

Fourth Ceti Hussars LCT Command
Argyle, Crucis March
Federated Suns
20th February 3097

Continuing to show his unconventional streak Leftenant-General Duke Fredrick Davion, commander of the Fourth Ceti Hussars LCT, marries his long term girlfriend Nikki White a former Kruger Combat Car driver.  The two had barely been engaged for a week before their wedding they had served together during Fredrick's initial combat operations.  With little hesitation or break Fredrick continues to form his new LCT.

Interstellar News Network Report
Skye, Isle of Skye
Lyran Commonwealth
25th February 3097

The news reporter Vivian Lambert stood in front of the Tri-Vid camera attempting to keep a composed face beside her stood Isle of Skye Leader Duke Robert Ryan Kelswa-Steiner “Ladies and Gentlemen, I am Vivian Lambert and am here with the leader of the Isle of Skye.”  She said Robert Kelswa-Steiner nodded to the camera “over the last three days reports have filtered in that a mass of WarShips and JumpShips, believed to be those of Clan Wolf, have been seen within the Isle of Skye.  Duke Kelswa-Steiner can you confirm or deny these rumours?”

“Unfortunately I can.”  He said looking at the camera “it is with a heavy heart that I can announce that at 08:00 hours standard time the Hyperion-classs Heavy Cruiser LCS Barcelona was engaged and destroyed by Clan WarShips believed to be the Montbatton and Jerome Winson at a pirate point in the Freedom system at present we believe that all hands have been lost.”

“Do we know how this engagement happened?  Where did the Wolves come from?”

“We are unsure where they came from.  It appears that they were double jumping through the system when a K-F Drive from a Monolith-class JumpShip broke.  Personnel and equipment were transfering between vessels when the Barcelona arrived near them.”  He explained “we believe that the two Clan WarShips out maneuvered the Barcelona” he said raising his hands side by side “their weapons destroyed our vessel before they completed their operations and abandoned the system.”

“Do we know where they are bound?”  Vivian Lambert asked nervously

“Current reports suggest they could be heading towards Skye or Hesperus II” the Duke said calmly “the Isle of Skye will resist these Clan invaders with all our might.  We will work with Lyran state units and with those of our Star League allies and we will be victorious.  Let these Clanners know that we will use all the weapons in our  arsenal to oppose them including our nuclear deterrent.”  He warned

“Tharkad has released the use of nuclear weapons?”  Vivian Lambert asked knowing that Skye had possession of nuclear weapons but that Tharkad had control over their launch codes.

“Tharkad will not stand in the way of our defence.”

“And with the eight nuclear weapons that Skye has do you believe that you Clan stop the Clan advance.”  She asked she had sources well placed in the Isle of Skye command which had passed the information.

“We will use all weapons to destroy these alien Clans.  Now you must excuse me” he said walking off the camera.

“There you have it.  People of the Lyran Commonwealth we are once again united by the threat of the Clans.  Any sightings of any Clan activity is to reported to your local LCAF Office, no report will be turned away, we must work together to stop the Clans.  This is Vivian Lambert for Interstellar News Network on Skye”  She said finally as the camera faded to black.  Across the Lyran Commonwealth and the Inner Sphere nerves were being frayed as the threat of the Clans and the apparent move by Clan Wolf became apparent to more than those who lived on the clan borders.”

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1088 on: 09 March 2015, 17:39:14 »
Woah, Clan Wolf moving bit early.  Decades early, watchout Star League Protectorate!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1089 on: 09 March 2015, 18:32:02 »
[Ambassador Kosh] And so...it begins....

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1090 on: 10 March 2015, 10:31:34 »
Woah, Clan Wolf moving bit early.  Decades early, watchout Star League Protectorate!

This story-line has been planned since I decided to save the Coyote Clan its nice to finally tell it.

New vehicle of the AU the Rim Collection's Macaque

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/combat-vehicles/macaque/new/#new

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1091 on: 10 March 2015, 11:03:03 »

How will this end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_jNklBqVCA

Also worrying that the Isle of Skye is threatning nukes, if they use nukes then the Wolves could go 'Fine, tit for tat' *A WILD ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT APPEARS*.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2015, 01:15:38 by marauder648 »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1092 on: 11 March 2015, 08:19:53 »
Hrm..also..

*does a quick rundown of the Lyran fleet*

1 x Alliance class Cruiser
4 x Hyperion Class
3 x Mjolnir Class BC
3 x Fox Class Corvettes
2 x Coventry Class CV (IIRC the Coventry is a variant of the Fox)

Could the Wolves be trying to do the Wolf Empire from Lyran space which does seem to be at least on the plan as they seem to have abandoned worlds...so...gah!...if so the SLDF would jump in to help (I assume) but the Lyran fleet is well spread out so...hrm...dang in Dragoncat where are the Wolevs heading!
« Last Edit: 11 March 2015, 08:23:35 by marauder648 »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1093 on: 11 March 2015, 11:50:05 »
Hrm..also..

*does a quick rundown of the Lyran fleet*

dang in Dragoncat where are the Wolves heading!

They also have 2 further Hyperions undergoing trials

I'll tell you this... somewhere in the Inner Sphere

Broken News Reports
Lyran Commonwealth
Draconis Combine
Marik-Stewart Commonwealth
7th March 3097

Across the Lyran Commonwealth, Draconis Combine and Marik-Stewart Commonwealth a series of attacks occur almost at the same standard time.  In each case Hyper Pulse Generators are attacked by either Battle Armour, Armoured vehicle or aerospace fighter.  Several reports indicated that these attacks were initiated by neighbouring states however all the attacks used Clan equipment.    This knowledge keeps reprisal attacks to a minimum as few of the Inner Sphere states believe that local units have enough Clan technology to pull off these attacks.

In most cases the attacks were a complete success with the attack being over before local defences could react in two cases: one on the Draconis Combine world of Kessel and the other on Laiaka in the Isle of Skye local defences are able to stop the attackers from completing their goals.  In both cases the attackers fight until they are killed however post combat analysis and autopsy's on the pilots suggests that these warriors were originally from Clan Wolf all are in their late forties beyond the norms of front-line combat troops.

For the Clans such a move is considered dishonourable however Clan Wolf has a track record of being unpredictable.  With further reports that Clan WarShips and JumpShips are using uninhabited systems to avoid local defences and with nearly a dozen HPGs destroyed in the attacks the entire Inner Sphere is on edge.

Later analysis of the attacks would suggest that Clan Wolf was behind all the attacks having sneaked the warriors and equipment into position under the guise of mercenary units transferring between commands.  This leads the Isle of Skye and Draconis Combine to initiate stronger controls over units not under their control moving across their borders.  In the Isle of Skye all foreign units, including those under SLDF or LCAF High Command control, are required to submit to inspection on an Isle of Skye controlled planet before continuing their journey.

In the confusion an Invader-class JumpShip was destroyed by the LCS Arthur Steiner-Davion in the Hesperus II system as the JumpShip failed to transmit the correct security authorization.  Several naval autocannon blasts ripped through the JumpShip and its attending DropShips resulting in the complete loss of life of all those on-board.

Clan Raids
Arc Royal Theatre, Lyran Commonwealth
12th March 3097

Intent on showing that they are not purely holding onto Clan Wolf's territory Clan Coyote launch a series of raids in force against the worlds of Ballymore, Pandora, Crimond and Fort Loudon.  The Coyotes have little to no intention of taking the planets they attack instead they show that they are intent on showing that they are capable of holding back the other Clans and threatening the  Lyran Commonwealth.  During the attacks the Coyotes use a new OmniMech dubbed the Trickster a new Medium OmniMech.  Slower than normal Clan medium designs the Trickster has a larger than normal payload in several of the configurations.  With its large payload several of the configurations mount large weapons capable of tearing Mechs of similar size to piece.

The Mall
Kestrel, Kestrel Combat Region
Crucis March, Federated Suns
17th March 3097

The Crucis March world of Kestrel had always been a beautiful world, even after the Draconis Combine attacks of the Second Succession War, with rolling hills and beautiful cities.  Down the main Mall a battalion sized Mech unit moved passed the gathered crowds on the Mech's chest was the emblems of the the First Kestrel Grenadiers Regiment.  The unit had been inactive on the AFFS rolls for nearly a decade but now with the Duke of Kestrel's financial backing the unit had been reformed with plans to expand it to a full regiment before the end of the year.  Despite funding the Regiment with his family's own money, ever the patriot, Duke Robert Cunningham announces that the reformed Kestrel Grenadiers would be joining the AFFS.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2015, 19:32:17 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1095 on: 11 March 2015, 12:07:19 »
Sneaky wolvses...using Solhama troops to basically cause as much confusion and affect the comms as possible. Clever...and that wedding scene, darn you that was good!

The Trickster's a nice design too, interesting to see the Clans basically building a heavy anchor for their units, compact engine, compact gyro and ferro-lammy results in a VERY tough machine for its size.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1096 on: 11 March 2015, 18:37:10 »
Nice update!  Glad to see a happy event for House Davion.    Nice new Omni-mech and to see Clan Coyote demonstrate its military forces.  Really wondering which way Clan Wolf will be resettling in the inner sphere

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #1097 on: 11 March 2015, 21:52:06 »
That has to be the most absurd image that I've read in a while. A man in business suit but with a Snow Raven Clan Council Helmet on just seems like a nightmarish mismash of styles. Honestly, how did he get through the Davion Royal Guard, MIIO, and whatever else security detail with that helmet on?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1098 on: 12 March 2015, 01:06:23 »
That has to be the most absurd image that I've read in a while. A man in business suit but with a Snow Raven Clan Council Helmet on just seems like a nightmarish mismash of styles. Honestly, how did he get through the Davion Royal Guard, MIIO, and whatever else security detail with that helmet on?

When I  originally did that scene it was worse.  But you're right I'm not happy with it either I'm going to re-write it

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #1099 on: 12 March 2015, 14:23:22 »
Maby he was secretly Cobra Commander? Cuz ... you know... it would be ok then  8)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1100 on: 12 March 2015, 14:46:54 »
I forgot this part  :-[  ;D the original scene didn't work reading it over again I wasn't happy with it so here it is from the top

Royal Wedding, Davion Royal Palace
Avalon City, New Avalon
24th March 3097

In front of hundreds of guests Burton Davion and Sterling McKenna stood taking their vows of marriage all of the guests knew of Sterling's heritage but they had accepted the Prince's choice.  To one side First Prince Victor Steiner-Davion and his wife Danai Centrella-Davion stood with Burton's brother's and sisters the only one missing was Jaylen Davion who was still on AFFS assignment on St Ives.  Everything had gone well the custom had been nearly completely unknown to Sterling but with a little coaching from Sarah and Danai she had made it through the proceedings.  There had been several low flying aircraft pass over the palace early in the ceremony but since there had been no alarm bells Burton guessed that it was most likely the pilots Sterling had been flying with recently giving her the send off she deserved.  Many of the pilots had taken to the former Snow Raven as if she was one of their own Burton guessed that once you were a pilot it didn't really matter where you came from it way all about the flying.

“Should anyone have anything to say that would stop these two being wed speak now” the minister said they had been sworn to marriage by the Unfinished Book as Burton's father and grandfather had been everything had gone well until now.  At the rear of the chambers suddenly there was a very audible crack as the two large doors opened.  All eyes suddenly turned towards the doors as they opened in stepped a large figure dressed in the traditional robes and head piece of Clan Snow Raven.

“Seriously??” Burton said under his breath the figure who was most likely an Elemental was flanked by two troopers dressed in Infiltrator III Heavy Battle Armour he guessed that the aircraft he had heard had been this person's arrival, subtle he thought.  Around the room Burton could see the First Davion Guard Bodyguard Unit moving into positions to get the best shot on the figure even so if this turned nasty Burton knew that members of the congregation would be caught in the resulting crossfire even unarmoured an Elemental could take a lot of fire before going down.

“I will speak” a voice said from under the robe from the sound the Prince could tell it was a male “Sterling, we need to talk” his deep booming voice said.  Burton turned fully taking a step forward but it was Sterling herself who spoke.

“Neg, we do not” she answered looking at the man he was Turner McKenna the head of the McKenna Bloodhouse “my previous life is done this is my future.”  She said raising her arms looking at Burton and then at her son Luther who was cradled in Sarah Davion's arms.

“Then I will announce this here.  I came here today knowing that I would likely not return to our Clan.  I can now announce that you will no longer be known as Sterling McKenna you have been stripped of your bloodname by order of the Clan Council.”  Sterling glanced at Burton who nodded for her to continue.

“No, I am Sterling Davion” she said “my future is my own Turner.  This will not be your final act Turner, if you have done this House no wrong today other than this interuption with my blessing, you will be allowed to return to the Snow Ravens with a message.”  Sterling said glancing at Victor Steiner-Davion who followed his son's choice and allowed her to continue.  “I am no threat to the Snow Ravens, the Federated Suns is not a threat to the Snow Ravens, we are separate.  There is enough chaos in our lives but we can live in peace.  The choice is yours.”  She said turning back towards the minister alongside Burton.  “Continue” she said

“Are there any others who wishes to speak?”  He asked worried that there would be another interruption when there was none “I now pronounce you man and wife” he said “you may kiss the bride” he said Burton and Sterling turned to each other and were soon locked in an embrace as those gathered cheered and applauded as they witnessed the beginning of a new era for the Federated Suns.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1101 on: 12 March 2015, 18:25:47 »

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #1102 on: 12 March 2015, 21:35:13 »
Maby he was secretly Cobra Commander? Cuz ... you know... it would be ok then  8)

Wait, that was suppose to be Brett Andrews!  ;)

As for the correction, I like it. I guess he used the Raven embassies invitation and then changed in the bathroom. The only suggestion is that the Suns' aerospace pilots have a specific name that doesn't get used enough, Knights of the Void. I have no idea if that can get worked in. Just suggesting.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1103 on: 14 March 2015, 16:27:01 »
More thanks for this timeline this time from me to Blackhorse 6 who kind of took a step in a direction I was heading and did a better job at it with me.

Iniki's Stormtroopers Basecamp
New Exford, Arc Royal Theatre
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
3rd April 3097

A battle wary Colonel Jameson Iniki crossed the tarmac following the battle meeting with Colonel Tyler Sutherland the Lyran commander of the garrison on New Exford.  “Not normally how I like to start a new contract” the dark skinned mercenary said as he approached.

“The Jade Falcons do like to keep us on our toes Colonel.  If your troops had not landed before the Falcons it could have been a far worse result.  How were your losses?”

“Three Battle Armour troopers are dead and two of my Mechs are unrecoverable fortunately their pilots are still alive; although they have a few new bumps and bruises.”  He said light losses considering the fight they had been in.  Several of his remaining Mechs were heavily damaged but they were repairable as part of the Stormtroopers contract with the Lyran Commonwealth the mercenaries were allowed to claim back what they had lost during combat.

“There are plenty of destroyed Falcon Mechs out there when your people are settled you can look them over.”

“Thank you Colonel I plan to do just that”

“Very good, your command has defence duties over the south west quarter.  I'll have my aide Leutenant Heister pass you the details.”

“Thank you” the mercenary replied

“I hope your people are ready for the Falcons Colonel Iniki they have been getting mighty restless recently.”  Sutherland explained

“We are Colonel we wouldn't have accepted the contract otherwise.”

Royal Announcement
Oriente, Oriente Protectorate
Former-Free Worlds League
13th April 3097

A news report circulates that Jonas Halas, the Captain-General or the Oriente Protectorate, had been involved in an affair with a member of Le Grand Cloche Mercenary Command who had been hired to protect his children and family.  Further news quickly spreads that Jonas wife has left her husband at the Halas residence for “time.”

A week later Le Grande Cloche are escorted from Oriente space by Oriente military forces Jonas Halas announces that an entire Battle Armour Battalion of Oriente's best and brightest will be provided to the protection of his children and wife despite their current separation.

New Yorkshire Barony, Baroness’ Estate Guest Apartments
New Yorkshire, New Avalon
25th March 3097

“… and this, this is what we are looking forward to?  I swear the whole of the Davion nobility has gone straight to hell.  A clanner?  A malfing clanner?  I mean we prayed for another Hanse and what happens?  Victor has been a passably good leader but even he habitually drags you out to fix his messes and gives you no credit whatsoever.  But Burton, that imbecile keeps making one mess after another and with both Marches in disarray, they pull you from Tikonov to stand there and give some semblance of unity to this unmitigated fiasco.  The average citizen is near ready to oust them from the palace, they are celebrating the possibility of a new war while the Marches continue to burn.  My God, what ever happened to royalty with a sense of class, I mean sure, it’s changed even from when we were raised and in how I wanted our children raised… especially our daughters, but this whole stupid marriage... are you even listening to me?”

In truth, Duke Paul Ryan-Bowman had really not paid all that much attention during the trip back to his sister’s estate in New Yorkshire.  The pacing back and forth while venting her indignity this last hour had come as a relief from the worries he himself had these past eighteen months.  After forty-two years of marriage, not much his wife could say would be a surprise at this point.  If anything, Duchess Alexandra Ryan-Bowman set new standards for being opinionated, but then most women from Achernar seemed to share this trait.  Hence the quiet and mostly attentive reaction he had come to give her throughout their years together wasn’t always what she wanted.  This early morning of all times, it actually infuriated her.

The Duke sat quietly considering the look she was giving him now that she had stopped pacing the apartment’s bedroom.  Odds were a dress shoe would be inbound at any moment but as she returned his gaze, her expression changed.  He knew at that moment she had read through his usually nonchalant persona and caught his buried concerns.

“You aren’t telling me something and it has to do with, what, those reports we have been working on doesn’t it?”  Despite his best smile, he knew she was on to him and closed his eyes.  He could feel her move to sit on the arm of the chair beside him.

“Yes. I finally have the bottom line to the AFFS unit manning reports and it’s worse than we had hoped, much worse than even I thought possible.  The possibility of a CapCon attack in five years is almost inevitable, that and our ability to counter attack or retake lost worlds in such an event are severely curtailed.”  Opening his eyes, he sighed, “In short, if we are subjected to any further military losses, we could lose a good deal of our planets to our neighbors.  In this event, the damage to the Suns would almost certainly be permanent.”

Alexandra reacted in horror at the admission while tilting Paul’s head up to look him in the eyes.  “I thought that with increased admissions and BattleMech outputs, combined with more armored and infantry formations, what we proposed would balance the AFFS back in five to ten years?”  He frowned and shook his head from side to side.  Taking her hands in his he kissed them and wrapped them in his.

“With this latest round of Robinson March adventurism factored in, well… we are looking at a best case of fifteen years just to bring enough combat material back to our line units to reach the AFFS strength levels of 3085.  Not that the machines and weapons really matter in and of itself at this point.  I figure at best, we will need thirty to forty years just to have enough MechWarriors in the field and not in training.  As we both know, that hasn’t happened since we graduated from NAMA during the height of the Clan Invasion.  My darling, we are facing a critical juncture in the history of the Federated Suns, so we must do what we were raised and trained to do: secure our borders with force if necessary and protect the citizenry at all cost.”  The Duchess nodded solemnly and spoke dryly, “Well isn’t it nice that our children are spread across five worlds and on each one they have titles of nobility… what else can be done to protect our people?”

Paul considered his next words with deliberate intent before speaking.

“There are always the options we thought unthinkable but I am of Tikonov by birth and by right.  We gather our families and all of our peoples we can and move them to Kitezh; which far away, it would take generations of the enemy looking for them to be found.” Alexandra considered that thought in silence, though it was obvious she considered that a last resort.

“That in and of itself is not as glorious in dying for one’s nation”, Paul continued, “but in the event the Suns is lost, a new arrangement would need to be made… possibly amalgamating the surviving Marches with another nation.  We still have some pull now that Jamison and Samantha are married, not to mention Lizzie would love to have us.”  This time Alexandra’s look of quiet resignation told him she at least considered those options to be an improvement.

Biting her lip, she ventured into the most treasonous option, “A change in the leadership may be necessary to prevent the destruction of the Federated Suns and its people.  Could we do something so reprehensible should it become absolutely necessary?”  Her husband nodded adding his thoughts, “I would rather be remembered as a traitor who usurped Hanse’s throne than as a historical footnote for failing to protect his homeland from its mortal enemies.  At least if I’m remembered, there will still be a Federated Suns.”

Duchess Alexandra smiled thinly at her husband. “Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that, you know I look terrible in black.”

Gaming Signing in Board
Solaris VII, Lyran Commonwealth
Star League Protectorate
28th April 3097

Moving past the other pilots in the meeting hall Ariana Steiner wasn't at all impressed she didn't consider any of them to be warrior until she saw them in combat Elizabeth McCarron had ordered her to take some personal time.  How she spent that time was entirely up to her.

“Name?” man behind the signing in board asked

“Ariana” she said keeping her surname a secret for as long as possible would make her time on Solaris a lot easier

“Surname?”  He asked

“Just Ariana”

“Ariana the Aggressor?”  the announcer asked obviously thinking that it sounded better than just a simple “Ariana.”

“Whatever” she said not bothered either way.

“BattleMech type?”

“A Warhawk”

“A War...” the man stuttered “you mean a Masakari?”  He asked using the Inner Sphere's name for the Clan design.

“Yes” Ariana confirmed

“You a Clanner?”  He asked fishing for more information.

“Neg” she joked using the Clan reply

“You kill a Clanner for the Mech?”

“What do you think?”  She said refusing to give any information.

“Mysterious Ariana” he said trying out another name “either way the Clanner Mech or the Clanner Killer will make you a target.”  He explained

“Will make it fun then.  When can I fight?”

“The next game is in the Factory in three days time” he said looking at the charts “think you can wait that long?”

“Sure gives these pilots” she said raising her voice “sometime to live before meeting a true MechWarrior in combat” she said. “Put me in” she confirmed before walking from the room with little surprise that the warriors around her parted as she marched out.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #1104 on: 14 March 2015, 20:10:52 »
Duke PRB is using creative stats to justify a coup, nice.
I think the Duchess would look splendid in black. >:D

Ariana, a warrior Steiner, show me the money.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1105 on: 14 March 2015, 21:22:52 »
Hmmm....  a coupe in the works for the FS!   Nooo!!!!!!    Wait, why not?  Looking forward to see how it plays out in the FS while surrounded by enemies wanting to demolish the FS!   More updates please!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1106 on: 16 March 2015, 18:12:35 »
This update shows how much of a Collective Effort this timeline has become so I would like to thank:

Blackhorse 6 - Ryan-Bowman story line
James Tanaga - Rim Collection's little addition (if you'll pardon the pun)
marauder648 - for the Leviathan salvage operation

I've molded their work to fit the timeline but they deserve as much credit as I do.

I hope everyone enjoys the update.

AFFS High Command Briefing, Fox's Den
Avalon City, New Avalon
1st May 3097

The worlds of the Federated Suns flickered silently in air.  The holographic images projected by the Fox's Den TactiCon System cast colored images across the faces of the assembled commanders.  In the ten minutes it took him to speak, the Duke of the Crucis March had managed to silence even the most verbose skeptics under the impact of the data provided - checked, rechecked and lastly, lamented.  Upon conclusion of his brief, Duke Paul Ryan-Bowman returned to his seat as the rest of those assembled turned to the First Prince for his lead on the way ahead.

Prince Victor nodded his concurrence at what he had seen and coincidentally had feared as true.  He regarded the NAMA war game projections playing out and knew he had seen the plan once before, a plan proposed and implemented by one of his own relatives but with more recent considerations and an unforeseen twist.

“Duke Paul, I have seen the first part of your proposal once before, when I was a cadet at the Nagelring.  I believe Archon Alessandro Steiner referred to the plan as the “Concentrated Weakness” strategy.  This second part, the… uhh… ‘Sword Teams’, now that is new.  Are you proposing that we adapt both concurrently for our defense of the Federated Suns?”

The Duke rose to his feet standing on the Prince’s left side.  “I am my Prince, in the stages indicated, with the Capellan and Draconis Marches being the first tier of defense and the Crucis March second tier.  As any incursion would necessitate the release of forces for war, those of the Crucis March will need to be held in garrison for immediate movement to the front lines of either March.  Unlike the original plan developed at the start of this century, we have one decisive edge over either Succession State enemy – our Navy, only the Nova Cats and Snow Ravens can out number us.  Consequently unlike Alessandro’s era, we have the ability to strike and devastate on a planetary scale.  Should it become necessary, I propose that we level the military staging and industrial capacity of our opponents with orbital bombardment.  Light Commodore Matthew Davion has had remarkable insights in this area; I believe he has several new developments that we would find invaluable when he returns from assignment in the Rim Collection.”

“Are you mad?  The Star League will intervene against us for doing this just once, much less multiple times”, came the reply from Marshal of the Armies, Sora Higginson.  “There is a buffer zone enforced by the SLDF to stop any more Capellan adventurism for the foreseeable future.  Unlike the rest of what the Duke proposes, you cannot seriously entertain this part of the plan my Prince, its pure foolishness now as it was during the Succession Wars, we cannot allow ourselves to devolve as low to employ orbital bombardment and Weapons of Mass Destruction as a common tactic.”  She said passionately looking around the room “I believe the Duke is overestimating the threat the Capellans present to us and I know that we can stop the Combine from making further inroads to our space using tactics we have long perfected; not by using tactics that leave millions and worlds dead.”

Duke Paul shut off the projector and leaned forward on the table, staring past Victor at Sora.  “I hope you are right Marshal, if the SLDF stays involved, the timeline to rearm will be quicker.” He wasn't convinced the SLDF had anyone's interests at heart except their own. “However, we need to rebuild if you have a better plan then I’d love to hear it.  For the last eighteen months we have lost ground in two Marches and now, now we may have the Raven Alliance ready to take a swipe at us.  We are force depleted from these latest misadventures and understrength, both in BattleMechs and MechWarriors.  So severely in fact the best idea your command came up with was to create LCTs and not rebuild our traditional RCTs.”  He said staring down the Marshal of Armies “oh and as for the LCT concept, the Wild Geese created Squadrons almost forty years ago, so nice job copying my work.”  He said he knew she wasn't the architect behind the Light Combat Team, that had been Galen Cox, but she had expanded the idea.  “Now if you seriously think that we are fooling anyone, anywhere about our weaknesses you are sadly mistaken.  So unless you can conjure up about twenty veteran BattleMech regiments to solve this dilemma…”  At this Marshal Higginson turned red and started to stand.

“Enough both of you!” growled Prince Victor, “Duke Paul is right and we all know it the miss-adventures, as he puts it, have weakened the Marchs and returning all the March forces to RCTs will result in one thing – exactly the same situation all over again."   He pointed out he had little to no trust in either the Draconis or Capellan March lords at present.  “Sora, you used almost everything not nailed down in reconstituting the Third Davion Guards last year even with production we're replacing losses little else.  We, all of us, are here to find a way to get this nation back where it needs to be.”  He said Paul smiled much to the distaste of the Marshal of Armies “However, Sora is also right” the First Prince said “I will not order our navy to employ the tactics used during the Succession Wars.  We have the capability we do not need to use it.  We can show that WarShips can defend and support our people not just destroy entire planets!”  He said raising his voice the naysayers of the Navy and its massive cost often pointed out that WarShips could only destroy planets unlike BattleMechs which could capture and hold them.   “Now, please explain this ‘Sword Team’ idea that will assist in doing just this.”

“Simply my Prince?  Step one, we reduce budgetary authorizations for BattleMech production by fifteen percent for the next ten years and shift to armor and battle armor training.” Duke Paul caught the gasps and grumbles of the others but continued on.  “Two, we create new armor and battle armor formations from those March Militias and local units.  We augment them with the latest graduates and material from the academies.  Three, we train them to the limits of their capabilities for six months, then assign them into armor brigades.  This will improve the fighting levels of all units the Sword Teams join, so we can create battalions and regiments of better than average crews and infantrymen, we split them out of the formations and start again.  Outcome? This will compensate for the more inexperienced ‘Mech units we are fielding now by giving the MechWarriors time enough to develop their skills.”

Victor smiled suddenly as the plan played out in his head.  “So, while we rebuild using armored crews and battle armor infantry in the short term,” Victor mused, “we trade the ‘Mech role with them and slowly reverse over the next fifteen years?  ‘13 seems like a long way off… but we also improve active and March forces in the process, while developing a better trained core of MechWarriors, time permitting.  If we need to move troops forward, then they would be better skilled than they are currently…”

Marshal Higginson rechecked her figures and projections with caution.  “It could work, it actually could work.”  Victor regarded this as a good sign, as well as the positive comments from the others.  Several were now leaned forward and actively engaged in smaller conversations and planning points.  Smiling he nodded to Duke Paul a silent thank you for his assistance they were a long way from being ready.  “However I would suggest less of a drastic cut to Mech production” she said continuing almost speaking to herself as she made a couple of alterations before sending the new statistics to the AFFS Commanders. “Instead we cut WarShip production in half” she said hearing a couple of gasps the new WarShip fleet was a great source of pride for the FSN “we already have a WarShip fleet that can hold its own against all our neighbours.  Even cutting production we can still stay ahead of the Capellans comfortably and we know that the Combine cannot concentrate its forces, due to the Rasalhague Dominion and Raven Alliance, we can.”  Paul looked at the figures he wasn't entirely convinced Sora was right but the boosted Mech Production would take two or three years off his estimates to rebuild regiments and commands.

“I believe that this contingency plan of yours will work and we will implement it as our plan ahead backed by Admiral Forester's plan to create WarShip squadrons.”  He said remarking on one of the senior Admiral's ideas the Federated Suns had a strong naval arm concentrating it against threats was something that was long overdue.  “You know,” Victor began as he followed the others movements, leaning forward in his chair too.  “many times in the past we haven’t always seen eye to eye, but you have proven invaluable to this nation time and time again Duke Bowman I personally thank you.”

“My Prince, the answer is simple, you returned me and my family to our world.  Tikonovans are practical people, as you well know.  I could rule the Suns with Alexandra's help” he said carefully seeing distaste at the statement from many but Victor's expression did not change “but the people want and need you and your family.  The Federated Suns is its people, the Federated Suns is House Davion, and the Federated Suns is not House Ryan-Bowman.”  He said continuing when Victor remained silent “my wife and I know your family’s wrongs and mistakes, I know you know my families mistakes, yet we choose to stay side-by-side for who you are now, not who you were before.”

“It’s a certainty that you have always have been there,” said Victor “any regrets?”

Duke Paul replied sadly, “I’d ask my niece Pamela that question, if I could…”

Clan Border Fighting
Arc-Royal Theatre, Donegal Province
Lyran Commonwealth
2nd May 3097

A series of heavy raids by Clan Jade Falcon strike at the Lyran Commonwealth.  In each case the Kell Hounds and Clan Mountain Wolf along with allied mercenary forces move to counter them.  The fighting on Great X claims two Mountain Wolf Clusters in exchange one of the Jade Falcon's best units is destroyed in the fighting with the defenders holding the ground to remain in control of the planet.

Similarly on Graceland the Second Kell Hounds Regiment and two small mercenary commands are virtually destroyed as they face off against two front-line Jade Falcon commands.  Despite the damage they do the Jade Falcons are unable to break the mercenaries and are forced into retreat.  With the Second Regiment destroyed the survivors are folded into the First Kell Hounds making it a reinforced regiment.  With Akira Brahe's recent retirement of Akira Brahe the seventy-one year old Christian Kell, formerly commander of the Second Regiment, becomes commander of the reinforced First Kell Hounds Regiment however Christian already has plans for his successor with Katrina Allard and his own son Jeremy Kell waiting in the wings for command.  Between the two Jeremy is the older and more experienced however Katrina is Megan Kell's daughter and “heir” to the ownership of the Hounds.

Medical Facility
Greene, Timbuktu
Rim Collection
5th May 3097

Nearly ten days late Victoria Able is born at a medical facility on Timbuktu after her mother had insisted on travelling to inspect the Fourth Rim Lancers CCT.  The first child of Karen Able and Matthew Davion both mother and child come through the birth in healthy condition.  Within hours it is reported that President Jerry Able and Matthew Davion are enroute to the planet to visit the new additions to the Able family.

Launching Ceremony
Titan Shipyards, Sol System
Star League Protectorate
15th May 3097

During the height of the original Star League-era the SLDF had tried and failed to produce a Super-carrier-class of vessel.  The Enterprise-class had been one of the Star League's great failures and eventually the only failed prototype had been dragged into the Sol System asteroid belt and left to rot.  Now the new SLDF was trying to succeed where its predecessor had failed and the first day had gone particularly well.

Unlike the original SLDF the new Star League had a few hundred years of research and development behind it as well as the advances that the Clans had made.  Also unlike their predecessors the new SLDF designers had built a new prototype hull devoid of weapons or systems instead testing the engines and systems.  The new “Enterprise” coasted gracefully from Titan shipyards under its own power making a single gravity's accelerated orbit around the facility before returning to the docks.  Built deep into the hull the new WarShip Anti-Missile System, Lithium Fusion Battery Mk II, Naval Comm Scanner Suits and Naval C3 systems had all been built directly into the hull on construction none were fully operational yet but once they were and the ships weapons had been added the new SLS Enterprise would be one of the most capable WarShips in existence.  Engineers expected the fitting out process to take another two to three years followed by another three to five years for the WarShip to be combat ready.

To cater for the Enterprise and her planned six sister ships aerospace fighter production facilities had begun to stockpile surplus production for the SLDF instead of selling it onto the Succession Stated and they had begun to expand their facilities to match large fighter capacity.  Even with the SLDF fleet supporting it and the new WAMS installed in the Carrier's heart the SLDF knew that the big ships would be vulnerable to enemy weapons especially nuclear weapons.  To counter this threat the SLDF had begun plans to build a new range of “Pocket WarShips” which would be permenantly assigned to the vessels as escorts.

Rasalhague Salvage Operation
Rasalhague, Rasalhague Dominion
24th May 3097

Even at the multi-kilometre distance the dead, lifeless hulk of the seventeen hundred metre long Rasalhague was impressive.  Her flank was torn and ravaged in the battle with the Perigrad Zalman, which had been totally written off by the Ghost Bears as salvage, with the black marks of weapon impacts covering the hull where it had not been penetrated.  The sickening damage showed up clearly under powerful floodlights built into the noses of the shuttles.  “There appears to be little in the way of debris in orbit around her, she has got a slow port roll but not enough to generate any form of gravity.”  The pilot said.

“Any power readings?”  Star Commander Dixon asked

“Neg, there are no power readings at all, and no other thermal signatures, the Rasalhague is cold and dead.”

“Understood, let the salvage parties know they are go for docking.”

“Aff Sir.”

Six boarding shuttles slowly approached the slowly spinning hulk. There had been concerns that with her great size that fires would still be burning inside the Rasalhague but it appeared that her hull had been opened to space and that there was no oxygen for them to feed off.  This of course meant that the salvage teams would need to operate in shifts in their Aerie PA(L)’s until the hull was sealed and life support restored but there was three dozen teams aboard the Legacy-class Yardship Orestes which was enroute to assist with operations.  Once she arrived there would be hundreds of men and women dedicated to restoring power and life to the mighty battleship that had given her all in the defence of the world she was named after.

When it was discovered that whilst her hull was ravaged and would likely need years of repair, the ship was still structurally sound and intact the Khan had decreed that the Rasalhague be salvaged.  Whilst there were some grumbles about the cost from the civilians it was also seen as being a boost for jobs in system as orbital facilities would be working overtime to produce the hull plating whilst computers, wiring and other internal systems could be made at other systems within the Dominion, increasing revenue when it was most needed.  Ultimately the Rasalhague would likely have to be moved to the Alshian Shipyards for her final repairs.

Nearly eight hours later the salvage crews had still not explored the length of the vessel their progress hindered by the discovery of intact docking hatches.  Unable to enter the main docking bays the crews had been forced to make multiple entry points spreading across the length of the tumbling wreck.

“Hatch is secure!  Stand by for depressurization.”

The twenty-five Aerie armoured salvagers ensured their mag-boots were active as the air was pumped out of their pressure bay.  The sounds of the shuttle, the soft rumble of its engines was replaced with silence only filled by the sounds of breathing within the armour. 

“Opening hatch now…”

The pressure-door on the other side within the Rasalhague had blown, all that was left of it was a mangled lump of misshapen metal, the corridor beyond was utterly dark but in seemingly good condition, some spar’s of metal had collapsed and there was some wall plate buckling.

“Alpha Point with me, Beta Point try and head aft to the tertiary reactor controls and update me on what you find there keep an eye out for unexploded munitions people, even WarShips occasionally fire a dud.”  He cautioned them.  “The rest of you take separate corridors, we do not need to be bottled up, see what we have here.” 

“Aff, Star Commander.”

Splitting into their individual points they headed towards their targets deeper within the ship.  The deeper they went the more pronounced the damage became.  Some bodies were found, burned, crushed or void frozen, all wearing the emblem of the Dominion at their breast it would be enough to turn many people's stomach.  When the ship was fully explored the bodies would have to be disposed of with the honour and respect they deserved. 

“Epsilon Point One reporting, we have reached the main spinal corridor, there is a lot of debris here, it appears that this section was struck by some heavy ordinance, two hundred meters from my position we have a significant hull breach, the hull plates are melted indicating a PPC or laser penetration.”

“Theta Point One reporting, we are en-route to the primary magazine, we are having to cut through fire doors as they were all sealed in this sector.”

“Delta Point One reporting, we have reached primary fire control for the port forward battery, the section is open to space, I can see the Rasalhague star above my head.”  The Point commander reported Dixon could hear the sense of awe in his voice, there was little else more spectacular than looking into open space.

“Understood, continue your investigation and keep an eye on your oxygen supplies, I do not want to add more corpses to those aboard this ship.”  He warned the Aerie Power Armour suit had extended life support systems giving them extra time on the hulk.

“Aff, Star Commander” came the multitude of replies.

Climbing or cutting through wreckage that blocked their path the Salvage teams worked deeper into the ship, It took two hours for Alpha Point to reach their target and all five Clansmen stood in silence for a moment.

The bridge was a unlike the rest of the ship, not a wreck.  Buried deep within the Rasalhague’s hull in a reflection of ancient surface ships command centres it was a target that was near impossible to hit, surrounded by thick armour as well as multiple fire doors and bulkheads, but all were open.  Still strapped into their chairs the command crew of the Rasalhague had their heads bowed as if in prayer, a side effect of rigor making muscles tense, hence the slightly curled position. 

“They stayed at their posts, why not abandon ship?”

“You saw the fire damage we had to get through two decks down, there was no way past that inferno.”  Dixon said quietly

“Yet the fire doors were all open Quiaff?”

“Aff…so why did it not reach here?”  One of the boarders checked a corpse.

“They vented their air, depressurized the ship to kill the fires but to do so would require someone to do it from here. “

“Their ship was doomed, they could not escape, they gave their lives so that she might be salvageable, it explains why the whole ship is depressurized, they vented all the atmosphere and then opened what doors they could.”  Dixon said he understood what the crew had done and he respected them, in their place given the choice he would have much rather died of asphyxiation than having being burned alive.  The Rasalhague had gone through a lot but she still had a long journey ahead of her before being returned to service.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2015, 18:19:05 by Dragon Cat »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1107 on: 17 March 2015, 06:37:19 »
Nice update Dragon Cat!   

So from the Fox's Den part is that Paul Ryan-Bowman is creating Combined Arms tactics that were made in the Prime universe, with LCTs coming up next? 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1108 on: 19 March 2015, 15:24:20 »
Nice update Dragon Cat!   

So from the Fox's Den part is that Paul Ryan-Bowman is creating Combined Arms tactics that were made in the Prime universe, with LCTs coming up next?

Not quite Paul's idea is to reinforce the Federated Suns militia units to the point where their armour and Battle Armour forces are effectively front line units.  From the militia these "Sword" units could be assigned to armour brigades of the AFFS increasing the skill levels across the board.  Then from these front line units smaller units could be broken off to create new units without massive amounts of training - due to the Sword Team training.  Over the short term creating new units from Armour and Battle armour commands which could then later being reinforced with Mechs as Mech production slowly catches up.

The Marshal of Armies instead fancies cutting WarShip production allowing the Mech cut to be less while also allowing units to be formed with Armour and BA making up the majority.

Overall you're likely looking at the middle ground between the two ideas:

I'd expect combined arms AFFS regiments to be formed with Mechs, Armour and BA to create new units.  As for LCTs there's a few already:

1st Robinson Strikers LCT
4th Ceti Hussars LCT (pending authorization to become an RCT)
8th Crucis Lancers LCT (due to become an RCT by 3099)
8th Deneb Light Cavalry LCT
10th Deneb Light Cavalry LCT
12th Deneb Light Cavarly LCT
15th Deneb Light Cavalry LCT
1st New Ivaarsen Chasseurs LCT
2nd New Ivarrsen Chasseurs LCT
4th Robinson Rangers LCT
5th Robinson Rangers LCT
6th Syrtis Fusiliers LCT
9th Syrtis Fusiliers LCT
10th Syrtis Fusiliers LCT
11th Syrtis Fusiliers LCT
4th Tikonov Cossacks LCT
5th Tikonov Cossacks LCT

Following March "adventurism" the three March Lords were allowed to increase their "House" units to 5 in number but with a single RCT and 4 LCTs supporting.  Current active RCTs would be downgraded to LCT status following combat losses and retirements until each March met these requirements.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1109 on: 19 March 2015, 17:34:09 »
A little extra before a new update - Star League Intelligence Report WarShip Construction

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/intelligence-reports/star-league-intelligence-report-warship-production-3097/