Author Topic: Star Trek General Thread II: Strange New Posts  (Read 68553 times)

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
Re: Star Trek General Thread II: Strange New Posts
« Reply #1050 on: 04 October 2023, 13:41:02 »
Yeah.  And they're mostly...not funny.  The first three in particular are not so much a celebration of Trek as a subversion of it.
Best so far was the one by Prodigy writer Aaron J. Waltke, combining the different animation styles like _Drawn Together_ (however briefly).

Although, I do have to say, ST:ENT actually looks good in the TAS style.  If they ever wanted to get the cast back together for a (very) belated fifth season, that's obviously how they should do it--like the original TAS, but set on Archer's Enterprise.

cheers,

Gabe

MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!! Everyone is STILL ALIVE (I think)... this CAN still happen. IT. Must. Happen.
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1051 on: 04 October 2023, 21:46:29 »
Warn me about the WALL o' TEXT next time please.

Felt assaulted for a pair of seconds.

Thanks,
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1052 on: 05 October 2023, 10:14:49 »
MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!! Everyone is STILL ALIVE (I think)... this CAN still happen. IT. Must. Happen.

Be careful, I also thought DISCO looked good in that style too  :tongue: :evil:

How about a prequel series set on Prime Georgiou's Shenzhou prior to the Battle of the Binary Stars? (just because I want more of the wise, benevolent Prime Georgiou as opposed to the amoral, borderline psycho Evil Mirror Emperor Georgiou)

They can keep the uniforms but otherwise use it as an opportunity to clean up DISCO and make it more consistent with the rest of the Trek universe a la SNW.

(And get Saru out of that silly 32nd Century uniform!  Why is that even there?)

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1053 on: 05 October 2023, 10:45:15 »
(And get Saru out of that silly 32nd Century uniform!  Why is that even there?)

It's parodying the sometimes inaccurate costumes on characters in TAS, usually stuff like uniforms changing colour between scenes.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1054 on: 05 October 2023, 21:08:53 »
My feeling is it's Badgey, in the Peanut Hamper episode in series 3 there's a lingering shot of Rutherford's implant in the debris field from the battle in the series 1 finale and you see it light up, suggesting he's still alive in there.

It looks like Badgey will be back next episode, so we'll see if there's that connection.

There's one other principal suspect I can think of:  Boimler's transporter clone who was recruited by Section 31.  Note that at least from what we've seen on the show so far, the mystery ship hasn't yet attacked any Federation-aligned ships.  And it does look more like a buffed-out Federation shuttlecraft than anything else.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #1055 on: 05 October 2023, 21:41:38 »
Another solid episode. I'm sorry to all the Rutherford/Tendi shippers though. It's a great use of the assumption that "Rom is incompetent" to swerve into the "Rom/Leeta dream couple" bit.

Crazy implications for the universe and props to Captain Freeman.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1056 on: 06 October 2023, 01:47:03 »
There's one other principal suspect I can think of:  Boimler's transporter clone who was recruited by Section 31.  Note that at least from what we've seen on the show so far, the mystery ship hasn't yet attacked any Federation-aligned ships.  And it does look more like a buffed-out Federation shuttlecraft than anything else.
given its apparent size in the flyby of the Ferengi ship, it seems to be a lot larger than a shuttle though. while the windows on ships aren't always a good guide to size, that ferengi ship had to have at least 4-5 decks. and was probably defiant sized, even if it shared a shape with the ENT era ferengi shuttlecraft. the mystery ship seemed to be about half the size of the ferengi ship.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2023, 09:01:38 by glitterboy2098 »

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #1057 on: 06 October 2023, 09:53:36 »
I don't know what I did to make Youtube keep recommending these decade old fanmade skits, but I'm glad it happened. They're basically PSAs about how to avoid logical fallacies, done in the style of the Animated Series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_fOyxk7DdU

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1058 on: 11 October 2023, 18:42:38 »
Prodigy has been picked up by Netflix.  Series 1 will show up on there soon-ish with series 2 following:

https://gizmodo.com/star-trek-prodigy-season-2-netflix-paramount-streaming-1850918603

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1059 on: 11 October 2023, 19:25:07 »
Good news, hopefully gets a third out of it

I wonder how Paramount execs feel going cap in hand to Nexflix? They took everything off there for their big streaming moves now Paramount+ is toiling towards insignificance

It's not just them I think there are way too many streaming services I've tightened my belt and only have a couple now money just doesn't go as far anymore
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1060 on: 11 October 2023, 20:01:05 »
It's not just them I think there are way too many streaming services I've tightened my belt and only have a couple now money just doesn't go as far anymore
i keep three. i pay for netflix, i pay for Amazon prime (have since before it was a streaming service, but i get a big discount due to some special deals so i keep it), and the whole family shares my younger brother's disney account.

but i agree. there are too many streaming services now. netflix was successful early on because it was a good alternative to cable/satellite, at a lower price. now if you want to get diverse options you have to pay as much or more to get half a dozen different corporate streaming services.

i think we're starting to see the contraction of the streaming bubble, as the various studios all realize that running their own services is too pricey at too slim a profit when you can;t piggyback off other studio's material to attract customers.
« Last Edit: 11 October 2023, 20:04:17 by glitterboy2098 »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1061 on: 11 October 2023, 20:14:00 »
And it really helps if you play 'The Game' and rather than sustain a subscription to a bunch all at once, just pick and choose which ones you want.

Star Trek Lower Decks on?  Pay for Paramount Plus for a month then cancel it and quite often they'll bribe you with free or discounted months to stay and send promotion codes for free or discounted months.

Netflix announces what is coming and going for stuff on their service.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1062 on: 12 October 2023, 05:38:29 »
I found some of the Star Trek shows (older ones) are appearing on Pluto TV which is ad funded streaming service (aka its TV).
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1063 on: 12 October 2023, 07:16:01 »
I believe Paramount have some level of share in Pluto, when people complained about Discovery being pulled from Netflix, series 4 was put on Pluto in territories it was active in and Paramount Plus had not launched in.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1064 on: 26 October 2023, 11:49:50 »
so in the latest lower decks.. we find out that Mariner graduated alongside Sito Jaxa, meaning she was in the academy in 2368! and she fought in the Dominion war from the start! she's got to be about a decade older than the rest of the group.
edit: so i did some basic math..lower decks is set in 2380, possible 2381-ish by the 4th season. TNG "the first duty" takes place in 2368, 12 years earlier. if Mariner joined at the earliest age possible, 16, and only took the typical 4 year course of study, graduating around the same time as Sito Jaxa would put her at 32. so she's probably more like 5-7 years older than the others. if she graduated with Jaxa, in 2370, that means she would have been in starfleet 3 years before the dominion war kicked off. though it is liekly mariner was a year or two behind her, helping to explain the hero worship a bit. much like how Nog looked up to Red Squad.

also final confirmation that Nick Locarno isn't the same person as Tom Paris.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2023, 14:51:37 by glitterboy2098 »

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer