Author Topic: Let's build a Colony  (Read 15782 times)

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
Re: Let's build a Colony
« Reply #30 on: 08 September 2011, 11:12:18 »
Maybe I miss understood the point of your article, 

I thought it was how they colonized worlds in the BT universe, my bad.

Fan article = non-canon. The purpose of the article was to flesh out the colonization process; the vast majority of fans (and even writers) seem to think that the drop colony is the primary and only way of colonizing, when it is in fact one of the most perilous methods with the highest chances of failure.

the western alliance then the Terran alliance after ward were using much different jumpship/dropship technology than the Terran Hegemony used.   For the time table your talking about  before the Age of War, you would need 1 jumpship  twice the size of a Texas class battle ship every other month for almost 10 years to make the colony self sufficient enough to start to meet the population demands you are suggesting.  your starting to large and to rapid a growth for it to be realistic. 

Stop. The article presupposes a standard level of technology, thus the responses about one or two dropships. The same principle still applies in a pre-dropship large shuttle era, with the only difference being the method of transport.

Using pre-dropship jumpships, yes, you will have to transfer cargo from a dropship to the jumpship’s hold and then repeat the process at the destination. A small contingent of 6-10 large shuttles (in the 2,000-3,000-ton range) should suffice to ferry the entire colony in 3-5 trips per shuttle.

keep in mind,  for your set up your talking about using 6 -7k tons of consumables just to get a planet 3 jumps away.   in the first wave. 

No. If you had read the article, you would have seen that the first wave of 2,500 colonists requires 1,250 tons of consumables for a 100-day journey. That is enough for 12 jumps, assuming an average of one week per jump, plus a week’s transit at both ends.

Pre AOW the jumpships only carried 5k ton shuttles.  They aren't bring much with them.  for your livestock,  what you are suggesting is going to require more than one dropship to carry.  (for just the livestock)  more than one dropship just to carry the people and enough consumables  to get to the planet.   more than one drop ship worth of consumables for the population and livestock for about a month after you get to the planet.  So to get 4 months till the first harvest you are talking about 5 dropships for just consumables.  so it's a min of 8 dropships  to get your first harvest.  .   

And your mistake is assuming that the same principles apply in the pre-dropship era. I repeat: the article presupposes the existence of collar-riding dropships. I am also assuming that the large craft shuttles are in the 2,000-3,000 ton range (for the most part); I’d assume that the 5,000-tonners are more bulk carriers than anything else. If we assume an average of 1,500 tons of cargo per shuttle, the nearly 29,500 tons of livestock, cargo and passengers can be brought down in 20 trips; six shuttles can do the job in three trips (with a couple doing an extra trip each), ten can do it in two trips each. Remember; since this is just an orbit-to surface trip, we don’t need full-on quarters for the passengers, as the trip will take less than a couple hours (if that much).

Given containerized cargo (even for bringing down the livestock), the only real issue is what would be brought down first.

I would estimate at least 1k of the current population would need to be focused just on farming.  monitoring current  harvest, clearing more area's for next crop and taking care of the herd that still needs to eat and we are rapidly growing more of.   .   

As I mentioned in a previous post, of the 2,500, about 1,600 would be families with an average of two children. Of the 2,500 total, about two thirds would be primarily involved in agriculture (directly; many others depend on agriculture, but don’t farm beyond their personal garden). Modern machinery allows a relatively small number of people to clear, cultivate and harvest a relatively large area. About 1,000 adult farmers sounds about right.

It sounds like you are planning to set up a small city to take in 10k people in 4 years.  So while this is going on  we need to have unloaded and unpacked and set up a  small city.  20 drop ships worth of crap maybe? .   

No. The first wave is there to set up the infrastructure needed for the second wave; clear ground, explore, survey, farm, produce food, prepare future farms (grazing land), lay in the pipes and power lines for the location of future homesteads and set up temporary accommodations for groups of about 2,000-2,500 colonists at a time; the first of four-five such groups will arrive  about 3-4 years after the single-group first wave arrives, with the remaining 3-4 groups of the second wave arriving in intervals of 10-14 months. As these groups arrive (with their own supplies for their own use, construction and infrastructure (as well as supplementing the first wave colonist’s supplies/materiel), they start moving out to establish their own homesteads and secondary town centers almost immediately, clearing out of the temporary accommodations by the time the next group arrives.

It might take between a week and a month (probably about 2 weeks) to unload everything from the pre-collar jumpship. Containers are your friend when you have to transport a few thousand tons of manure.

All I am trying to say is your starting point is way to high.  And your Progression numbers are Way to rapid for the early years.  After the colony is established you can start massive importation of labor.    .   

Not at all. The first wave is self-contained (still has a good selection for genetic diversity, remember?); if it is abandoned, it can prosper on its own, provided there is no unforeseen catastrophe.

Trust me, the numbers are sound. Read the thread carefully; it explains itself.

Even in the later years you are still talking about  4 -5 mammoth like drop ships ever 6 months to meet your time table.  From your time table i am assuming that the colony is required to maintain a high tech level else I just have no idea how your model is even possible.   

Nope. You are making incorrect assumptions on the pace of the waves. this post shows the basic timelines; assuming a high level of technology throughout, going from 2,500 colonists to a million in 23-47 years through the seed colony process while maintaining a high level of technology is eminently doable.

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #31 on: 08 September 2011, 12:08:53 »
I just really wish I had something to add to this. LOL. So interesting!

Questions about things like manufacturing and medical stuff. Assuming that fabrication would be more prolific in the future, manufacturing could be easy to get around. especially if the dropship stays put to power the colony and offer the use of its facilities to the colony. Medical stuff could be harder. Equipment could be fabricated. But what about antibiotics? Research on local viruses/bacteria? Even aspirin and otherwise common narcotics (to control everything from pain to bowel movements) could be difficult on a world where the flora just doesn't produce it. And Caffeine? Would the colony bring coffee beans and tea for replanting? Oh I hope so. Unless they are mormons, lol. Dum dum dum dum!

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 08 September 2011, 12:26:42 »
Medical stuff could be harder. Equipment could be fabricated.

In the first waves of colonization they would bring the medical equipment they need, with spare parts to keep it running. A supply of drugs and cultures for biological medicines (like penicillin) will be brought along as well. As more colonists arrive with more supplies, equipment is brought along as well to cover the needs of the expanding colony.

But what about antibiotics? Research on local viruses/bacteria? Even aspirin and otherwise common narcotics (to control everything from pain to bowel movements) could be difficult on a world where the flora just doesn't produce it.

For the first three waves of colonists, only those in general good health who are not dependent on medicines for survival (like insulin-dependent diabetics) will be part of the colonization process. A supply of completed basic medicines (aspirin, to name just one), would be included in the basic supplies. Surveys of the world (both before and after the first wave arrives) will search for local sources of raw materials to produce more complex compounds in small batches.

Alcohol is no problem; this can be distilled  from readily available sources. Other basic medicines can be easily obtained from local or readily available sources (sodium bicarbonate, for example)

And Caffeine? Would the colony bring coffee beans and tea for replanting? Oh I hope so. Unless they are mormons, lol. Dum dum dum dum!

Coffee and tea seed will be included; you can be assured that at least one farm (likely more) will be growing tea and/or coffee/other caffeine source.

rlbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2011, 00:37:10 »
The argument applies across the board and is far more involved than just a matter of organization.

Privately funded colonies would practically never use a command circuit; it is just too expensive; each jumpship involved must be compensated for its loss of revenue because it is not doing its regular jumps; many ships means a lot of (50,000 per collar per jump; and we are actually paying for the jumps needed to get into position and back, at the very least a percentage).

Actually, if you are making the trip more than once, command circuits get cheaper with each planned trip and you save tonnage by not needing as much consumables, or by cramming people and livestock into bays, instead of cabins.  The big thing about command circuits for a corporate sponsored colony is that there is only a two week lag in communications, even if you could not convince Comstar to send along an HPG station-- it can be managed (inefficiently) by someone to important to send away from a major office.  Another thing is if something unforeseen comes up, it is as little as two weeks  to get whatever is needed, but not planned for.

Plan on using the command circuit enough times, and it is only a ten percent premium on sending the stuff the long way. 

A poorly worked example:

The distance is ten jumps, so you need ten jumpships and each one needs four jumps (on average) to get to the jump off point of the colony (these are tramp jumpers with only one collar each), so the first DS takes 150 jumps to get there vs. 24 (if jumpship cannot pick up a return fare from the new colony, they will charge for the jumps back to civilization.  I am also assuming that you will have to pay for the jumps needed to collect the jumpships at the jump off point).  With six trips versus one trip with six jumpships, it is 250 jumps to 144 jumps.  The crossover is 38 trips, more than that, unless , the colony backers do not need to pay for jumps needed to collect the jumpships, the command circuit costs less money.  The other big thing of this command circuit is that, no matter how many DS are sent to the colony, it only needs ten jumpships.

For frequently made runs, command circuits can actually be cheaper, and are always faster. An exercise for the diligent student (or anyone with more time than I have available) would be to figure out the minimum number of jumpships to implement the command circuit to end all command circuits that goes from anywhere in the inner sphere to anywhere in the inner sphere (carrying at least one dropship), with a one week layover on Earth.  With large enough dropships carrying passengers in infantry compartments, the fare would be a flat rate to get on and off the system, and a round trip (periphery world to earth to another periphery world, back to Earth, then back to first periphery world) could be less than 2000 C-bills
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #34 on: 10 September 2011, 07:54:02 »

A couple of questions:

How much will each option cost?

Can a 2/3 thrust dropship be used as a colony center?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #35 on: 10 September 2011, 08:24:53 »
That's an interesting question with an interesting answer.  Unless they've changed that rule a 2/3 dropship is capable of landing, but not taking off again.  So you could land it and use it as the core of a colony.  But from an economic standpoint you just anchored a hundred million plus C-Bill asset to that landing site.  One that could otherwise have continued hauling things and generally making itself useful.  The only time I can see it happening is say a manufacturing dropship, specifically designed to form the core of a colony's early manufacturing capacity.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 10 September 2011, 10:01:43 »
For frequently made runs, command circuits can actually be cheaper, and are always faster. An exercise for the diligent student (or anyone with more time than I have available) would be to figure out the minimum number of jumpships to implement the command circuit to end all command circuits that goes from anywhere in the inner sphere to anywhere in the inner sphere (carrying at least one dropship), with a one week layover on Earth.  With large enough dropships carrying passengers in infantry compartments, the fare would be a flat rate to get on and off the system, and a round trip (periphery world to earth to another periphery world, back to Earth, then back to first periphery world) could be less than 2000 C-bills

Oh, without a doubt command circuits are fast and in standard routes may well be more economical to individuals, but for transporting colonies it is not really that useful; it requires a lot of setup, with multiple ships idling. Assuming one ship per stop, you still need two weeks per trip. Also, nothing is coming back (except empty dropships), unless it is a corporate colony specifically set up to exploit a specific resource (in which case it will not likely be a seed colony process).

An interesting thing to note is that in the first 120 years of colonization, 600 colonies were established in an 80 LY diameter circle around Earth.

What makes this interesting is that this is an average of 5 per year within two jumps from Earth. This pace can be maintained by a relatively small fleet of jumpships with a moderate growth/replacement rate using a seed colony model.

A couple of questions:

How much will each option cost?

If you have to ask...  ::)

Seriously, we can actually calculate costs for each method, based on materiel costs, transport costs and even personnel costs.

Drop Colonies are the cheapest; besides the actual cost of the stuff, you can calculate the charter cost of the dropship(s) and the per-jump cost of transporting the dropships on-target (plus likely at least a portion of the return trip's cost).

Seed colonies must do that for every load of every wave, but as the colony develops, it can start providing a small share of the cost, increasing as time goes by.

In either method, the cost can be defrayed by the colonists themselves who pay to start a new life.

Corporate colonies see the colony as a cash investment and thus their funding will be directly proportional to the benefit they can gain. This means that the colony may have much more sophisticated equipment and temporary personnel than a self-sustaining colony would be expected to have.

Absolutely. That is in fact the ideal thrust for a stay-behind colony ship; able to come in and land but unable to return to space.

RunandFindOut has a good point regarding cost, but this can be approached in three different ways:

First would be a specially-built ship for just this purpose; it would have as little SI and armour as required and be produced as cheaply as possible so that it can be basically disassembled for raw materials, eventually being the colony's primary power plant and government center.

Second would be to use and old and tired transport repurposed for this task. As it was about to be scrapped anyway, losing its functionality is not really an issue. IIRC, there are a couple of drop colonies in canon that used just such ships.

Third would be a combination of the first two; taking the engines and basic structure of an existing ship about to be scrapped/retired and rebuild it for this function; as a rough example, an old Union gets rebuilt from the ground up as a (close to) 5,000 ton 2/3 colonial transport, assembled sturdily for its last flight; SI gets recalculated from the same tonnage, engine stays the same... you get the point.

Using dedicated "leave behind" colonial dropships is a GREAT idea, but not terribly common in canon except in survival colony situations.

soshi

• Master Sergeant
  • reed'n be fun four da mentals
« Reply #37 on: 10 September 2011, 11:20:16 »
what production ratio models are you using for the cattle?I was doubling the population of the cattle every 6 months with no losses-nothing being consumed for food till year 5(to get a sustainable pop, with enough genetic variance) , I'm using 3 (today that should be 6) people for ever 400 head, used as a secondary source 3 head a day for 2.5k people (primary source should be 3 head per 1k people)  what are you using ?    are you using a 5/3 as a secondary food source (7-8/3 for primary) or something else,  cause I couldn't make them self sustaining  for at least 10 years to meet your projected population.  I just don't under stand why you are bothering with meat,  even at 4/3 (2/1.5) it is prohibitive.  Rats and Rabbits are 1.9/1.6   still very wasteful.   I am assuming using high tech farming,  by the end of year 2 they should be up to 1/3  but if they are feeding  animals as a food source they will be 2/1 probably 2.5/1.   (x/y  x what you spend,  y what you get back related to subject at hand)  So the 5/3 model (modern industry standard for raising cattle today,  so for one cattle you spend enough to feed 5 people and get enough food to feed 3 people- the 5/3 is an average of many different   ).  it's more like 4.89/3.1 for current day high tech. Farms are about 1/3 for a high yield, high tech, and high maintenance (today).  I updated these numbers,  but they are not mine They are by Isaac Asimov when he critiqued his own colony plan,  his part of the family unit was the best (a bit out dated but still a very enjoyable read). 

Whats your model for equipment failure/maintenance needs?  EI hours of usage  to hours of maintenance needs?  i was using 1/30  one hour maintenance for 30 hours work,  for the first 1k hours after that 1 hour for 15 hours.  (better than anything we have now)   modern car is about 1 hour maintenance for 25 hours of usage.   heavy equipment is about 1/20 (new). I was only factoring a fraction of the maintenance hours that would be needed,  cause just the animal husbandry was a man hour hog.  What model are you using for vehicle attrition? Whats the supply ratio of equipment?   I was expecting 25 tons (light vehicle bay) 25 tons for attachments per vehicle, and 25 tons per vehicle for part maintenance/repairs (for 1.5 years per vehicle).   

how many ares of land can you have cleared, leveled properly, removed rocks, irrigate to have ready for planting for 2- 3 month growing periods?  the first 3 month period I was using 1k ares to start and 2k more acres for the second period. (Thats around 5x better than anything we on earth today has ever achieved with virgin lands)   with about 1.5k acres added by the end of year 2.  I was thinking 9 months total to get that second crop in. (btw they can get 3 crops a year after the first year). 

In the first year your first crop is always used to seed next years first crop.  The second crop,  most will be needed to plant next years  second crop.  the last crop will be mostly for your cattle and livestock so they can survive the off season (about 6 months till the next crop-3-4 months before they can graze again). 
If they are keeping livestock in the first wave I can not see them having enough land cleared to take care of themselves,  let alone bringing in more people.  by the end of year 4.  By this time most of the vehicles will be so over used that they will need to be abandoned and new ones will already have to be there.   If you slow down to 5 years before next wave,  your equipment will fair better and your workforce will not be as fatigued but you will still be at the same place.  (not ready to take in new people). after 5 years these 2.5k workers  will still be heavily dependent on outside foodstuffs.    Even with fisheries you will only be seeing 1.5/1 parity after 4 years,  EI not enough to bring in more people,  you would need to have 1/1.5 min to get the population you are expecting,  to shift the amounts of manpower off farming to start building .  Using Strat ops maintenance  this colony would be doomed by first years end (manpower for maintenance way to high). use FMMerc R.   
I am factoring 75% from grazing and autumn crop per year (currently 65%  the rest is fortified feed to max out growth and weight)

Heavily improved modern tech,  best case events, and act of god almost ever day   in favor of the colony,  I still cann't make it work with the numbers your are proposing.  Labor deficits 

I'm using CBT's ratio of 1 ton of consumables for 2 people on an earth like world per month. 

soshi

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 10 September 2011, 11:31:48 »
Um why would the colony ship land?  what would they re purpose a K-F drive core for?  And what would they need a interplanetary drive for?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 10 September 2011, 11:36:42 »
Um why would the colony ship land?  what would they re purpose a K-F drive core for?  And what would they need a interplanetary drive for?
Were talking about dropships, not jumpships.

Having one of several minimalist dropships make excellent: industry buildings, powerplants, emergency shelters, government buildings, etc. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #40 on: 10 September 2011, 11:37:55 »

Well, a K-F Drive equipped shipped can't land... (Well, it can lawn dart pretty good) so the only thing they are discussing for landing is the colonial dropship...  they are just saving time and dropping off, silly enough, the drop part of the name.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

rlbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 10 September 2011, 13:16:01 »
Oh, without a doubt command circuits are fast and in standard routes may well be more economical to individuals, but for transporting colonies it is not really that useful; it requires a lot of setup, with multiple ships idling. Assuming one ship per stop, you still need two weeks per trip. Also, nothing is coming back (except empty dropships), unless it is a corporate colony specifically set up to exploit a specific resource (in which case it will not likely be a seed colony process).

The worked example was for an up to 300ly distance from the space lanes.  The trips happen every two weeks, but each trip is (assuming useful pirate points at each end) less than a day.  The jumpships are never idling, until the colonization is complete.  If you are not cannibalizing the dropship, the same dropship can make the trip each time.  For only ten jumpships and a single dropship, you are moving hundreds of thousands tons of cargo and hundreds of thousands of people.  With a non-canon 100 kiloton bulk transport DS, it goes to millions of people.  It just takes longer (twenty-six trips a year).

If you are sending waves of dropships, anyways, it is cheaper to just set up the command circuit.  The only time a command circuit does not help is if the colony is a single jump away.
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 10 September 2011, 14:13:25 »
what production ratio models are you using for the cattle? I was doubling the population of the cattle every 6 months with no losses-nothing being consumed for food till year 5(to get a sustainable pop, with enough genetic variance) ,

I’m using a slightly more realistic model than the one you are using. Your model is ignoring gestation and maturity.

A cow’s pregnancy lasts little over 9 months. It takes about two years for a cow to reach breeding age. After calving it takes 45-90 days before she can breed again.

If you are looking at attaining a useful cattle population in 3-4 years (for milking, meat and raw materials [i.e. leather and manure]), starting with a dozen is simply not going to cut it.

I'm using 3 (today that should be 6) people for ever 400 head, used as a secondary source 3 head a day for 2.5k people (primary source should be 3 head per 1k people)  what are you using ?   

I’m using a generic, general 500 kg of mixed livestock per colonist. Nothing fancy. The more livestock you bring, the more quickly the areas around the colony and homesteads get “terraformed” (for lack of a better word); adding human-friendly bacteria and organisms into an alien, if still human-friendly, environment.

are you using a 5/3 as a secondary food source (7-8/3 for primary) or something else,  cause I couldn't make them self sustaining  for at least 10 years to meet your projected population.  I just don't under stand why you are bothering with meat,  even at 4/3 (2/1.5) it is prohibitive. 

Meat is a by-product of the colonial cattle “industry”, at least during the first few waves of colonization; they are more useful in dairy and fertilizer production. Most male calves not bred for studding will be turned to meat, as will cows that have gone past their useful dairy lives.

Rats and Rabbits are 1.9/1.6   still very wasteful.   

Nobody in their right mind will introduce mice or rats to a new colony. But rabbits multiply like crazy and taste good. The fur is also a useful raw material.

I am assuming using high tech farming,  by the end of year 2 they should be up to 1/3  but if they are feeding  animals as a food source they will be 2/1 probably 2.5/1.   (x/y  x what you spend,  y what you get back related to subject at hand)  So the 5/3 model (modern industry standard for raising cattle today,  so for one cattle you spend enough to feed 5 people and get enough food to feed 3 people- the 5/3 is an average of many different   ).  it's more like 4.89/3.1 for current day high tech. Farms are about 1/3 for a high yield, high tech, and high maintenance (today). 

I’m also assuming modern farming methods, ensuring maximum or near-maximum yields from a given plot of land. Keep in mind that the raw manure can be processed to be more nutrient-rich and modern herbicides, pesticides and planting/tending techniques will be used.

Remember, the primary food source for the first few months will be “consumables” brought with them, until the crops come in. As I said, meat will be a by-product (a relatively rare treat), though eggs, milk, cheese and even other types of protein (i.e. meats) will be available in sufficient quantities to satisfy the needs of the current wave of the colony.

I updated these numbers,  but they are not mine They are by Isaac Asimov when he critiqued his own colony plan,  his part of the family unit was the best (a bit out dated but still a very enjoyable read). 

Which plan? He had different plans for space colonies, lunar colonies, martian colonies…

Whats your model for equipment failure/maintenance needs?  EI hours of usage  to hours of maintenance needs?  i was using 1/30  one hour maintenance for 30 hours work,  for the first 1k hours after that 1 hour for 15 hours.  (better than anything we have now)   modern car is about 1 hour maintenance for 25 hours of usage.   heavy equipment is about 1/20 (new). I was only factoring a fraction of the maintenance hours that would be needed,  cause just the animal husbandry was a man hour hog.  What model are you using for vehicle attrition? Whats the supply ratio of equipment?   I was expecting 25 tons (light vehicle bay) 25 tons for attachments per vehicle, and 25 tons per vehicle for part maintenance/repairs (for 1.5 years per vehicle).   

When you pay me a few million dollars to start up my colony, I’ll work out these numbers. Until then, the closest thing we can do it look at the maintenance requirements of combat/non-combat equipment in BT.

Given the parts and the ability to fabricate commonly worn/broken parts (like saw wheels, for example), and given the fact that technicians and farmers capable of effecting repair and maintenance (which is their ONLY job for long periods of time) are readily available, I’ll stick to the 1,000 tons of vehicles and equipment mentioned in the article without going into detail; for the first wave, the needs of the colony can be easily satisfied by this; sub-ton personal transport vehicles, multi-function farm equipment that is rotated throughout the farms as needed (yes, they do that even today), large transport units and small personal farm equipment (as well as some larger repair and exploration vehicles) will round out the 400 tons of vehicles.

If you find this low, by all means, increase it; I kept it generic because every world and every culture that may be colonizing has its own quirks and I wanted to describe the GENERAL process of building a colony, not a cast-in-stone model that would be useless better than 50% of the time.

how many ares of land can you have cleared, leveled properly, removed rocks, irrigate to have ready for planting for 2- 3 month growing periods?  the first 3 month period I was using 1k ares to start and 2k more acres for the second period. (Thats around 5x better than anything we on earth today has ever achieved with virgin lands)   with about 1.5k acres added by the end of year 2.  I was thinking 9 months total to get that second crop in. (btw they can get 3 crops a year after the first year). 

Ask the professional farmers and agricultural science experts that go on the colony. We only have some rough numbers based on some equipment described in canon (with rules); suffice it to say, that in much less than one week, a properly-equipped unit can level a mapsheet’s worth of forest and rough and smooth it out. That’s 500m squared.

Clearing rocks? Heck, gather everyone in the cleared field and make it a party; in one day the kids, adults and everyone else will have turned that field into pure dirt ready for the spreader. For the record, I have no doubt that even with the loss of technology, a method of clearing rocks from fields will have been devised that did not involve sending the town’s kinds into a field to see who could pick the most rocks and who could find the biggest one… my back still hurts just thinking about it.

In the first year your first crop is always used to seed next years first crop.  The second crop,  most will be needed to plant next years  second crop.  the last crop will be mostly for your cattle and livestock so they can survive the off season (about 6 months till the next crop-3-4 months before they can graze again). 

They already have seed. It’s all they have. Enough for two whole crops. I know I wrote that in the article.

Only about 5% (using high-tech modern farming methods) of the crop needs to be reserved for seed. Since we are stockpiling seed for more farms next year, we reserve 10% from each crop; 5% for the next crop and 5% for growing an entire crop of seed. The first crop (and likely second crop), minus the seed reserve, go to feed the colonists… and their livestock (which I included in my calculations as well).

If they are keeping livestock in the first wave I can not see them having enough land cleared to take care of themselves,  let alone bringing in more people. 

Because you are not seeing the phased homesteading process I mentioned in the article; the first month or so is spent setting up the town center AND the first farm or two. They are still using the “consumables” at this point, as well as animal product (milk, eggs, the occasional meat). Once the first 1-2 crops are in, the next farms get cleared for the next growing cycle. By the time the first crops are in, the “consumables” should be running low, but with the crops, the food supply is being replenished even as the next crops are in the ground.

by the end of year 4.  By this time most of the vehicles will be so over used that they will need to be abandoned and new ones will already have to be there.   

You underestimate the resilience of battletech machinery, which has been known to last centuries of constant use.

You also forget that the colony has the techs to maintain the equipment, the parts to repair it with and the ability to fabricate parts it does not have. The vehicles and equipment would be selected specifically for their reliablily. Having them last 3-4 years is more than believable. Unless someone crashes the vehicle, there should be no problem in keeping them working well until after their supplemental replacements come in with the second wave.

If you slow down to 5 years before next wave,  your equipment will fair better and your workforce will not be as fatigued but you will still be at the same place.  (not ready to take in new people). after 5 years these 2.5k workers  will still be heavily dependent on outside foodstuffs.    Even with fisheries you will only be seeing 1.5/1 parity after 4 years,  EI not enough to bring in more people,  you would need to have 1/1.5 min to get the population you are expecting,  to shift the amounts of manpower off farming to start building .  Using Strat ops maintenance  this colony would be doomed by first years end (manpower for maintenance way to high). use FMMerc R.   
I am factoring 75% from grazing and autumn crop per year (currently 65%  the rest is fortified feed to max out growth and weight)

I was actually using real world numbers for my calculations; amount of X crop used yearly per capita… blah-blak blah. It gets complicated real fast.

The problem is that you are coming from a faulty premise on how the seed colony is made. I laid it out in the article and in supplemental posts. From my calculations, the numbers work, even taking losses into account.

Heavily improved modern tech,  best case events, and act of god almost ever day   in favor of the colony,  I still cann't make it work with the numbers your are proposing.  Labor deficits 

Again, you are basing your assumptions on a faulty premise.

Manpower-wise, there is far more than enough to run the farms (crops and livestock) at full tilt AND still have other dedicated labour.

Food-wise, there is more than enough to maintain the colony for the 3-4 months it takes for the first crops to come in. Once the crops (we are not talking just one wheat crop; I’m talking about at least two types of grains for people, another two for livestock, plus a variety of legumes, herbs, fruits and vegetables plus culturally important plants, like tea, coffee and “other” [such as purely ornamental plants, like tulips or cherry blossoms]) are in, the road to self-sufficiency begins; the colony still has some “consumables”, which are used to supplement the crops and the colony’s dairy products (and occasional meat; you don’t raise egging chickens without eating chicken… it’s a by-product). This allows for the delegation of labour to start preparing the next homesteads, which allows for the preparation of land for future homesteads.

It’s a rolling process. You are confusing “drop” colonies with “seed” colonies.

I'm using CBT's ratio of 1 ton of consumables for 2 people on an earth like world per month.

1 ton of consumables = 200 man/days

This is canon.

1 ton will last two people 100 days; about THREE months.

Of course, this assumes a local usable water supply, which should be a given for selecting the landing site on an Earth-like world. Every colony WILL have a water treatment plant with it, if not multiple small ROWPU or UVWPU units for each homestead. If water is NOT present, that is another issue, but since we are discussing mostly Earth-like environments, it is not an issue for purposes of this discussion.

You see, this is why I say that you are starting from a faulty premise, based on not reading posts carefully enough. ::)

Maingunnery specifically mentioned a 2/3 thrust DROPship. This was reinforced by RunandFindOut’s reply, which again specifically refers to dropships and by my post as well.

Since you were fixated on the idea of the pre-dropship jumpship, you jumped to the conclusion that it was a KF-equipped jumpship.

As to what to use the interplanetary drive for, you forget that it is a massive fusion engine capable of producing truly staggering amounts of electricity for the starting colony. The actual, you know, thrusty parts would be removed to prevent accidents and for other uses, like smelting furnaces.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 10 September 2011, 16:06:25 »
I have been playing with HMA and it seems that a 'colonial' dropship can be quite cheap, about 50 to 90 million.

soshi

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 11 September 2011, 16:46:08 »
To start with,  what i meant by Terra-like  is the only challenge will be finding enough of 1-2 vitamins/minerals that humans need in the natural ecology.   For example,  can we introduce a fish or some fast breeding rodents or some microbe  into the ecology to to fill that need, and can a balance be maintained between the two ecologic environments that only requires some very simple mean and very cheaply. 

do we agree with this?

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 12 September 2011, 09:27:34 »
To start with,  what i meant by Terra-like  is the only challenge will be finding enough of 1-2 vitamins/minerals that humans need in the natural ecology.   For example,  can we introduce a fish or some fast breeding rodents or some microbe  into the ecology to to fill that need, and can a balance be maintained between the two ecologic environments that only requires some very simple mean and very cheaply. 

do we agree with this?

Earth-like (or Terra-like) to me is more than just biological compatibility; it must have (AT THE COLONY SITE) readily accessible water in sufficient quantity to support the first 2-3 waves without resorting to extraordinary efforts to obtain it (long-distance aqueducts, deep aquifer drilling).

It must also have suitable seasons with agreeable temperatures for cultivation without resorting to greenhouses.

Local ecology must also be at least closely compatible, meaning that at least some of the local flora and fauna may be consumed with minimal preparation/modification (adding/removing enzymes, molds or bacteria) AND the atmosphere can be breathed without resorting to anything more complicated than simple filters (for filtering out pollen, spores or dust); no special environmental gear is needed to survive on the planet.

These types of planets may be rare in our real universe, but they are very common in the BT universe. Obviously, the further away from this ideal the planet is, the more supplies and equipment will be required, but the base numbers still work as a starting point.

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #46 on: 18 September 2011, 11:33:07 »
Earth-like (or Terra-like) to me is more than just biological compatibility; it must have (AT THE COLONY SITE) readily accessible water in sufficient quantity to support the first 2-3 waves without resorting to extraordinary efforts to obtain it (long-distance aqueducts, deep aquifer drilling).

It must also have suitable seasons with agreeable temperatures for cultivation without resorting to greenhouses.

Local ecology must also be at least closely compatible, meaning that at least some of the local flora and fauna may be consumed with minimal preparation/modification (adding/removing enzymes, molds or bacteria) AND the atmosphere can be breathed without resorting to anything more complicated than simple filters (for filtering out pollen, spores or dust); no special environmental gear is needed to survive on the planet.

These types of planets may be rare in our real universe, but they are very common in the BT universe. Obviously, the further away from this ideal the planet is, the more supplies and equipment will be required, but the base numbers still work as a starting point.

it is one of those things I often wondered about growing up... all of these Earth-like planets. How did did breath, metabolize food, deal with microbes, etc, from all of these alien planets?

But it makes for a much more fun universe doesn't it?  :)

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 19 September 2011, 17:16:10 »
It's one of the givens in most sci-fi settings, from BT to Star Trek to Star Wars to Renegade Legion; Earth-like worlds are very common in these settings.

Honestly, if they were not so common, things would be very different.

Register