Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Off Topic / Re: What did you just eat?
« Last post by gyedid on 20 May 2024, 21:56:33 »
Chinese hotpot at Haidilao Montreal.  They really try hard to make you think you’re at one of their restaurants in China itself.
(and let’s just say I was there more than a few times during my years in China).

Cheers,

Gabe
Aerospace / Re: Design Challenge: 'Combat' JumpShip
« Last post by Hellraiser on 20 May 2024, 21:52:56 »
So, its not "Rules Legal" but when you look at the variable sizes of early Jump Cores & the fact that they did vary in size & since WS actually pre-date the standard JS/DS paradigm I've always felt a cool concept is a "Mobile Fleet Base" by using a Compact Core into a Standard Jumpship frame.

Slap that tonnage into a maxed out # of ASF, Armor, Marines, Cargo Bays for Repair Supplies etc etc.
Plenty of tonnage for weapons, even some cap missiles.

Now, its got crap for armor, even when maxed out, but, its not designed to replace a WS.

A super Quetz on steroids.   And still has Docking Collars.    Pricey as heck but I still feel it has a place in a universe that legalized the Argo.
They are still classified as pro-Malvina aligned mechs (especially painted in Mongol Black) as evidenced in the latest novel.

Nothing says they’re bad mechs, and obviously if you’re in a bright green one as a freeborn you’re good, but people’s first reactions are ‘oh hell Mongol Jade Falcons’.

Until Jiyi and the Falcon Remnant get control of the narrative every planet they meet might as well do a recreation of Spaceballs “oh s$&*, there goes the planet.
BattleTech Miniatures / Re: Deckard_2049s Battletech stuff
« Last post by Deckard_2049 on 20 May 2024, 21:44:40 »
Nova in Jade Falcon Vau Galaxy colors:

On this mech I swapped the blue cockpit for a fiery yellow and swapped the grey from celestra grey to AP ash grey. In the lore Vau galaxy can't come to an agreement on which shade of grey to use, so I might do slight variations of grey on any further ones.
Aerospace / Re: Forced Boarding challenge?
« Last post by Hellraiser on 20 May 2024, 21:39:11 »
Following for ideas.

Also, can anyone point me to the rules for docking w/ a hostile ship during game play?

Fan Fiction / Re: It's a family curse.
« Last post by Cannonshop on 20 May 2024, 21:28:18 »
"Well, you managed to scavenge...

...blackmail, bribe, and bully your way here on time."  They were relatively private-only Her Majesty's guards were present, two of them equipped with high-intensity flamers and one in a new model medium suit carrying what Her Majesty called an 'incendiary needler'.  "I told you two years ago, Elizabeth, you're my Monster.  That means you stay in the bloody box until called for."

"You posted enough orders to have those pirates-"

"Oh, this isn't about your initiatives, it's about reminding you who's in charge.  I would have approved your operations along that front ahead of time-if you bothered to tell me."  Melissa stepped from behind her desk.  "So, you're going to explain your moves, assume nothing about what I know or don't, and don't try to sugar coat it, do you understand why, or has becoming a regenerating blood-sucking monster addled your wit?"  Melissa used the same tone on the girl, that she used when disciplining Yvonne.

Liz looked to the floor for the first time, ashamed.  How does she do that?  "We've established maintenance bases in four systems outlying from Kowloon, officially they're corporate but unofficially, they're set up as a public resource, and I managed to get permissions from the dukes in those systems in exchange for the output from Camp John's vehicle factories and Ia Drang aerospace."  she began.

"What's the goal?"

"Reducing the logistical support for bandits and pirates along the periphery theater, Your Majesty.  see, they hire a lot of the transports they hijack, and the operators are easily duped because the infrastructure for maintenance and support just...isn't there." she looked up, "So, too, is the infrastructure for patrols and protection, makes it hard for small operators to stay in the bounds of the law regarding insurance and bonds.  that makes illegal traffic a survival issue for them.  by making it cheaper to take legitimate cargo, and helping ease up the insurance and bonds by issuing to them, I believe we can cut illegal traffic by something around ninety percent in the next ten years.  Cut the traffic, you strangle the black markets, strangle the black markets and it's harder for deserters and madmen to get ships to go a-plundering with."

"Okay, that's your long termeffort, did you think it up?"

Liz shook her head, "I asked...one of my 'old veterans' what she thought would work, then bounced it off Alicia Li and a couple of minor nobles by text.  secure routes are profitable routes, profitable routes means small operators aren't taking black or gray jobs.  lower their maintenance costs and they don't have to take black-bag or questionable cargo, and the presence of patrols raises the risk on contraband for the ones who get off on it, makes them easier to catch."

"winnows out the incompetent, you mean."

"Smugglers gonna smuggle." liz agreed, "But most of the ships guys like Morrison get ahold of? they'd be in the 'amatuer to opportunist' camp-desperate or underfunded, unprotected, vulnerable."

"and the task I set you to?"

"We're in field trials with the 172nd." Liz acknowledged, "running them on Herbania for now, since it's not monitored by the Communications Ministry and most of the field combat they're likely to see is bandit hunting."

"Human?"

"Almost completely, will be, once we have enough officers and leaders established in the unit to pull the Old Veterans back to the one-seven-one."

"Why? your 'old veterans' were a right terror, and still are." Melissa asked, "Why human troops?"

"They have to be able to be deployed." Liz said simply, "That is, deployed with other human units.  They have to be able to work with Coventry Province Militia and Melissia Theater, Timbuktu, and so on-most normal people don't just get squicked when...when certain things happen, it's a visceral reaction and blue-on-blue is never  good color combo...also, I don't want to wake up all my Old Veterans at once, the human cost would be...ugly.  things good people should not contemplate, never mind do."

"Arthur and Katherine figured out what you are doing." Melissa said, "You were unsubtle."

Elizabeth shrugged, "I can't hide something that big, I'm not that smart-it takes a LOT of experience and intelligence to pull of the 'Regiment from nothing' game without leaving a trail like a buffalo in a chinaware shop. the best I could manage was trying to keep the negative impacts minimal and turn a logistics profit for the Realm."

"How many of those compact-core ships do you have?"

"The trackers? we've got three under build at Boojum Yards, I can maybe squeeze five into the field in a year's time." Elizabeth answered, "It could be more, but my first priority has to be raising funding, and that means selling most of the raw materials we're prospecting out."

"Do you have a plan to increase that output??"

"Yes'm.  THAT part, is part of needing more capital-I'm floating business startup loans and venture capital into deep space mining and prospecting, but the processor equipment is an expensive build and it isn't going to be invisible."

"What's the problem?"

"We can maybe secure the sites, but OUR security is going to raise issues that are probably already being raised, Your Highness.  I can't afford the kind of visible security efforts that would be needed, and I don't trust the Mercenary market, also, it's a pull on resources to do all of this at once the way you want me to."

"I'll fix the capitalization problem for you, but those facilities? will belong to the realm."

"Yes Your Majesty."

Off Topic / Re: What did you just eat?
« Last post by Ruger on 20 May 2024, 21:15:19 »
Interesting.  Was there something done to the portabellas to try and approximate the texture of pizza crust?

I did not. Might try to do so next time, but they were quite decent as was.

Ruger
BattleMechs / Re: Small Re-Engineered/Variable Speed Lasers Challenge
« Last post by Ruger on 20 May 2024, 21:12:29 »
How about this?

Code: [Select]
                 BattleMech Technical Readout

Name/Model:         Wolf Spider WF-SPD-3R
Designer:           Ruger
Source(s):          Custom Mordel.Net Units
Technology:         Inner Sphere
Technology Rating:  E
Tonnage:            35
Configuration:      Biped BattleMech
Era/Year:           Dark Age / 3150
Rules (Current):    Advanced
Rules (Era):        Advanced
Rules (Year):       Advanced
Total Cost:         6,524,460 C-Bills
Battle Value:       787

Chassis:              Endo Steel
Power Plant:          280 XL
Walking Speed:        86.4 kph 
Maximum Speed:        129.6 kph
Jump Jets:            Standard
    Jump Capacity:    240 meters
Armor:                Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:             
    2 Small VSP Lasers
    3 Small Re-engineered Lasers
Manufacturer:         Unknown
    Primary Factory:  Unknown
Communications:       Unknown
Targeting & Tracking: Unknown

================================================================================================
Equipment                                                             Mass                     
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure:                         Endo Steel                 2.00                     
Engine:                                       280 XL                   8.00                     
    Walking MP:                                 8                                               
    Running MP:                                 12                                             
    Jumping MP:                                 8                                               
Heat Sinks (Double):                         10 [20]                   0.00                     
Gyro:                                        Standard                  3.00                     
Cockpit:                                     Standard                  3.00                     
Armor Factor:                                  116                     6.50                     
    Type:                                 Ferro-Fibrous                                         

Internal         Armor     
                                    Structure        Value     
    Head:                               3              8       
    Center Torso:                      11             17       
    Center Torso (rear):                               5       
    R/L Torso:                          8             12       
    R/L Torso (rear):                                  4       
    R/L Arm:                            6             12       
    R/L Leg:                            8             15       

================================================================================================
Weapons and Ammo                                       Location          Critical     Tonnage   
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Small Re-engineered Laser                                 H                 1          1.50             
2 Small Re-engineered Lasers                              CT                2          3.00             
2 Jump Jets                                               RT                2          1.00             
Small VSP Laser                                           RT                1          2.00             
2 Jump Jets                                               LT                2          1.00             
Small VSP Laser                                           LT                1          2.00             
2 Jump Jets                                               RL                2          1.00             
2 Jump Jets                                               LL                2          1.00             

Alpha Strike Statistics                                             
Point Value (PV): 28
TP: BM,  SZ: 1,  TMM: 3,  MV: 16"j
Damage: (S) 3 / (M) 1 / (L) 0,  OV: 0
Armor (A): 4,  Structure (S): 2
Specials: ENE

Ruger
Yeah, the mods here are the friendliest and most approachable I've ever seen on a gaming message forum.  They're just trying to keep things friendly and polite.
Why is there no like button on this flippin' forum?  Seriously it's been 13 or so years of thankless work of by these folks keeping this site one of the nicest on the internet and we still can't afford a like button?

If anyone wonders why the Kickstarter is successful/even happens it's because the community fostered here and cared for by the mods and the members.

Now I just need to find places for the stuff I'll likely never paint but hopefully my kids will (one was reading Warrior: En Garde tonight, so there is hope).
It also makes sense that we had leaders with good combat skills because the cards were introduced in the Clan Invasion KS, and among the Clans you sometimes have to personally defend your decisions . . . Elias Crichell being an exception.  Even then his ability to dodge the issue ran out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Register