Author Topic: Fixing Autocannon (my take on the issue)  (Read 37352 times)

evilauthor

• Captain
Re: Fixing Autocannon (my take on the issue)
« Reply #90 on: 29 May 2012, 23:32:12 »
yupper, and since we can't change the weapons physical stats, we can change things like mechanics, damage, range, ammunition loadout.

Hmm...

New (sorta) Ammo Type: CLUSTER ROUNDS FOR EVERYONE!

Break through in ammo manufacturing allows cluster ammunition to be made for all kinds of autocannon, not just the LBX series. For single shot ACs, cluster ammo behaves just like they do for LBX weapons. For ACs that fire multiples shots (Ultras, RACs), determine how many shots hit as normal and then treat each actual hit as a cluster hit of appropriate damage points.

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #91 on: 30 May 2012, 00:47:01 »
Hmm...

New (sorta) Ammo Type: CLUSTER ROUNDS FOR EVERYONE!

Break through in ammo manufacturing allows cluster ammunition to be made for all kinds of autocannon, not just the LBX series. For single shot ACs, cluster ammo behaves just like they do for LBX weapons. For ACs that fire multiples shots (Ultras, RACs), determine how many shots hit as normal and then treat each actual hit as a cluster hit of appropriate damage points.

HAHA! Funny.

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #92 on: 30 May 2012, 02:19:21 »
...actually, making cluster rounds available to standard and light autocannons at least doesn't sound like such a bad idea. They already have the most flexibility in terms of ammo selection, might as well throw cluster into the mix as well. And LB-X ACs would still have their superior range brackets over them.

I'd be more wary of allowing ultra and rotary ACs access to special munitions. In-universe, these guns are probably built to some pretty exacting specifications to make their performance even possible, which would complicate the use of alternate munitions right there; in-game, it opens up the can of worms that is mixing multiple ammo types in one burst. But some bright gearhead having a "hey, we've already got AP, precision, flechettes and whatnot working...what's so fundamentally different about cluster, again?" moment with regard to the standard and light models, that I could certainly see.

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 30 May 2012, 05:38:46 »
I still think Ultras should be handled something like the following.

In Star League Era play, they can fire at double rate. Use 2 X ammo. Deal 1.5 X damage to either one or 2 locations (up for debate). Deal 2 X heat. Both "shots" hit if the attack roll is successful.

In Clan Invasion Era they would be considered experimental kind of. Working the way they are written now, as the Successor States were manufacturing inferior firing circuits.

Advance a few years, the circuit is duplicated properly and it goes back to the Star League Era play style.

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
  • Star Commander Adam Howe
« Reply #94 on: 30 May 2012, 05:47:47 »
I don't see a need to change classic Autocannons, I still like my classic AC/5.

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #95 on: 30 May 2012, 07:25:43 »
Why?

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #96 on: 30 May 2012, 07:27:09 »
Why what?

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 30 May 2012, 08:19:04 »
Why what?

Why do you like a weapon that by any standard is a piece of crap?

Even in 3025, I can for the same tonnage come up with weapons or weapon combos that do the exact same thing the AC/5 does or better. And this is before you take the 10 free heat sinks into account. For example:

LRM-10 (5 tons) + Medium Laser (1 ton) + 2 heat sinks = 8 tons of equipment, 1 or 2 overheat (assuming bracket fire), 7.5 average damage beyond 5-6 hexes, and 5 damage from 1 to 4 or 5 hexes. Oh, and the minimum range penalty never drops below +2 because when it does, the laser takes over from the LRM-10 plus the option to alpha for extra damage at the cost of some heat if the situation warrants it.

In the DHS era, the AC/5 comes off looking even WORSE, so much so that even the people in universe are getting rid of them as fast as they can.

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #98 on: 30 May 2012, 08:31:41 »
Why do you like a weapon that by any standard is a piece of crap?

Even in 3025, I can for the same tonnage come up with weapons or weapon combos that do the exact same thing the AC/5 does or better. And this is before you take the 10 free heat sinks into account. For example:

LRM-10 (5 tons) + Medium Laser (1 ton) + 2 heat sinks = 8 tons of equipment, 1 or 2 overheat (assuming bracket fire), 7.5 average damage beyond 5-6 hexes, and 5 damage from 1 to 4 or 5 hexes. Oh, and the minimum range penalty never drops below +2 because when it does, the laser takes over from the LRM-10 plus the option to alpha for extra damage at the cost of some heat if the situation warrants it.

In the DHS era, the AC/5 comes off looking even WORSE, so much so that even the people in universe are getting rid of them as fast as they can.

It is a piece of crap in your opinion, I do not play accountanttech.  I like the AC/5 for the range it has and it does decent damage.  My favorite mech in the game is the Dragon DRG-1N.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 30 May 2012, 08:43:40 »
It is a piece of crap in your opinion, I do not play accountanttech.  I like the AC/5 for the range it has and it does decent damage.  My favorite mech in the game is the Dragon DRG-1N.

The LRM-10 has better range and better damage. 2 LRM-5s do the same damage as the -10 but more spread out and free up an extra ton for another heat sink.

A PPC (you know, the thing the GRAND Dragon replaced the AC/5 with?) does double the damage for less tonnage in an identical range bracket. Even without DHS, the PPC frees up a couple spare tons for extra sinks for the Dragon's LRM-10. And since the PPC uses no ammo, you can fire it all day even on bad TNs and conserve LRM ammo for the good shots.

And of course in the DHS era, things like the Light PPC totally obsolete the vanilla AC/5.

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #100 on: 30 May 2012, 08:46:49 »
The LRM-10 has better range and better damage. 2 LRM-5s do the same damage as the -10 but more spread out and free up an extra ton for another heat sink.

A PPC (you know, the thing the GRAND Dragon replaced the AC/5 with?) does double the damage for less tonnage in an identical range bracket. Even without DHS, the PPC frees up a couple spare tons for extra sinks for the Dragon's LRM-10. And since the PPC uses no ammo, you can fire it all day even on bad TNs and conserve LRM ammo for the good shots.

And of course in the DHS era, things like the Light PPC totally obsolete the vanilla AC/5.

Like I said, I don't play accountanttech.

Netzilla

• Warrant Officer
    • Facebook
« Reply #101 on: 30 May 2012, 09:30:42 »
Recognizing the inefficiency of the AC is "accounttech"?  If you like the AC for fluff reasons, that's fine and no one should fault you for it.  Plus, you can state so with relying on terms that can be taken in a pejorative fashion. 

However, even without running the numbers yourself, those numbers have been offered by so many people that I don't think you can argue that the inefficiencies don't exist.  So, you can acknowledge those inefficiencies without "playing accounttech", even if they are a non-consideration for you personally.

I suppose the real counter-question would be, what is your opposition to people coming up with ways to compensate for the ACs' inefficiencies?
"Everything starts as someone's daydream." -- Larry Niven

MM Bug & Feature Requests:
https://sourceforge.net/p/megamek/_list/tickets

MHQ Bug & Feature Requests:
https://sourceforge.net/p/mekhq/_list/tickets

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #102 on: 30 May 2012, 09:33:34 »
Recognizing the inefficiency of the AC is "accounttech"?  If you like the AC for fluff reasons, that's fine and no one should fault you for it.  Plus, you can state so with relying on terms that can be taken in a pejorative fashion. 

However, even without running the numbers yourself, those numbers have been offered by so many people that I don't think you can argue that the inefficiencies don't exist.  So, you can acknowledge those inefficiencies without "playing accounttech", even if they are a non-consideration for you personally.

I suppose the real counter-question would be, what is your opposition to people coming up with ways to compensate for the ACs' inefficiencies?

Stating it is inefficient is not a problem, lecturing me on why I shouldn't use it at all is accountanttech.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 30 May 2012, 09:55:06 »
Stating it is inefficient is not a problem, lecturing me on why I shouldn't use it at all is accountanttech.
Nobody's lectured you on why shouldn't use it. Netzilla even told you why you should use it!

But everyone's told you why it's a crap weapon, wanting to know your reason to use it despite that. A logical question given that your opening post was this:

I don't see a need to change classic Autocannons, I still like my classic AC/5.
Which obviously questions the statement that ACs in general (and AC/5s in particular) suck, but doesn't give any reason for that.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #104 on: 30 May 2012, 10:10:07 »
adamhowe's goal is obvious.

anyways, on a 'mech the value of an autocannon isn't how it performs solo, but how it performs in the weapons package of the 'mech as a whole. it's nice to say "PPC and the sinks to cover it" when you're looking at the abstract but you may not have the crits for it and you may not be able to count on your heat scale being left alone.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #105 on: 30 May 2012, 10:39:03 »
 [copper]

Ok folks... getting a little heated in here.  Let's take it down a notch, OK?

/   [copper]
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: 30 May 2012, 11:05:39 »
[copper]

Ok folks... getting a little heated in here.  Let's take it down a notch, OK?

/   [copper]

[snark]Well obviously we're never going to get any heat from the AC/5. [/snark]  ;)

Seriously though, the AC/5 is such a crap weapon that the people IN-universe recognize it as such because there's a glut of used ones on the Inner Sphere weapons market from everyone upgrading to something else.

IIRC, the only reason AC/5s were used so much prior to the Clan invasion was because there was a shortage of energy weapons (tech slide and all) and ACs were easier to make, so people had to use whatever was available.

Which doesn't mean I wouldn't upgrade to something better if I could. Like the LRM-10 which I ALSO consider a shit weapon, but it's only a shit weapon compared to the other LRM launchers since it's the most inefficient of the bunch. The AC/5 compares poorly to EVERYTHING. Even the AC/2 has more utility (longest reaching weapon in 3025, extremely high tonnage to crit ratio in post 3050).

Netzilla

• Warrant Officer
    • Facebook
« Reply #107 on: 30 May 2012, 11:25:31 »
anyways, on a 'mech the value of an autocannon isn't how it performs solo, but how it performs in the weapons package of the 'mech as a whole. it's nice to say "PPC and the sinks to cover it" when you're looking at the abstract but you may not have the crits for it and you may not be able to count on your heat scale being left alone.

Well, I did talk about crit space in my reply and did acknowledge it as something that can shift the AC back to being a viable alternative.  However, in current 3025 play (without DHS, Ferro or Endo), crit space isn't often an issue.  Post CI, crit space becomes more of an issue, but the other weakness of the vanilla ACs become even more pronounced, so the net result is that they end up being even worse off.

As to the heat scale, that's really a matter more for how close to the edge your design runs.  If you go a primarily AC load-out, then you can end up with a lot of leeway, even just using 10 engine-packed SHS.  Of course, I think the downsides out-weight that.  Besides that, most designs run pretty close to the edge on heat whether they rely on energy, missile or ballistic weapons.

A classic example is the Rifleman.  2 AC5s + 1 Ton ammo + 2 LL + 2 ML.  If you pull out the 2 AC5s you can put in a single PPC with enough HS to be able to fire the PPC + 1 LL for the same max damage as 2 AC5s + 1 LL at the same range but with better damage concentration and you can do it more than 10 times.  In close, you'll have enough HS to fire both LLs + 1 ML for 1 excess heat or 1 LL and both MLs and still have heat to spare.

I don't know of an AC-based design that can't be improved by switching it to an energy-based load-out.  Now, if energy weapons aren't available due to expense, rarity, etc, then it can probably still be improved by switching to missile weapons as evilauthor has pointed out.

va_wanderer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #108 on: 30 May 2012, 12:41:11 »
A classic example is the Rifleman.  2 AC5s + 1 Ton ammo + 2 LL + 2 ML.  If you pull out the 2 AC5s you can put in a single PPC with enough HS to be able to fire the PPC + 1 LL for the same max damage as 2 AC5s + 1 LL at the same range but with better damage concentration and you can do it more than 10 times.  In close, you'll have enough HS to fire both LLs + 1 ML for 1 excess heat or 1 LL and both MLs and still have heat to spare.

I don't know of an AC-based design that can't be improved by switching it to an energy-based load-out.  Now, if energy weapons aren't available due to expense, rarity, etc, then it can probably still be improved by switching to missile weapons as evilauthor has pointed out.

One that's designed to shoot aircraft or fast-moving targets, which ironically the Rifleman is a poster child for AA duty. Flak loaded AC's are the most accurate fighter-killers in the game along with LB-X and other cluster munition weapons. The sin in the eyes of most BT players is the AC's avenue of superiority is a very narrow one indeed, and one defined specifically by it's munition load- and that superior munitions require even more tonnage, something missile launchers seem to have missed out on for some odd reason.

Any "fixes" for the AC will have to march along that same road of what we're loading in the gun- which is where precision and AP rounds came in, but IMHO have been only the first steps in what should be better rounds for older guns to "keep up".

Netzilla

• Warrant Officer
    • Facebook
« Reply #109 on: 30 May 2012, 14:50:26 »
One that's designed to shoot aircraft or fast-moving targets, which ironically the Rifleman is a poster child for AA duty. Flak loaded AC's are the most accurate fighter-killers in the game along with LB-X and other cluster munition weapons. The sin in the eyes of most BT players is the AC's avenue of superiority is a very narrow one indeed, and one defined specifically by it's munition load- and that superior munitions require even more tonnage, something missile launchers seem to have missed out on for some odd reason.

Any "fixes" for the AC will have to march along that same road of what we're loading in the gun- which is where precision and AP rounds came in, but IMHO have been only the first steps in what should be better rounds for older guns to "keep up".

Well, for AC Flak, that assumes you're using TacOps (and I do like most of TacOps, including most of the specialty ammos).  However, most other specialty rounds having only half the ammo capacity hurts quite a bit.  Even if you fix that, designs either need several tons of ammo to handle a variety of situations (with the classic RFL-3N does not) or you risk showing up with the wrong type of ammo.  As you mention, the advantage of specialty AC ammo tends to apply in a fairly narrow set of circumstances and if you're caught out with the wrong ammo, you can end up really screwed.

va_wanderer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #110 on: 30 May 2012, 17:26:24 »
Well, for AC Flak, that assumes you're using TacOps (and I do like most of TacOps, including most of the specialty ammos).  However, most other specialty rounds having only half the ammo capacity hurts quite a bit.  Even if you fix that, designs either need several tons of ammo to handle a variety of situations (with the classic RFL-3N does not) or you risk showing up with the wrong type of ammo.  As you mention, the advantage of specialty AC ammo tends to apply in a fairly narrow set of circumstances and if you're caught out with the wrong ammo, you can end up really screwed.

And that most specialty ammo that has even a chance of broader application gets hosed by it's half-load penalty. But it's the road to making autocannons match up with other weapons. Give them improved tournament-legal munitions and you give the autocannon a fair shake.

(Being able to do half-ton allotments of AC ammo would also be pretty darn nice and minimally painful for the purposes of record sheets everywhere.)

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #111 on: 30 May 2012, 18:09:19 »
[snark]Well obviously we're never going to get any heat from the AC/5. [/snark]  ;)

Seriously though, the AC/5 is such a crap weapon that the people IN-universe recognize it as such because there's a glut of used ones on the Inner Sphere weapons market from everyone upgrading to something else.

IIRC, the only reason AC/5s were used so much prior to the Clan invasion was because there was a shortage of energy weapons (tech slide and all) and ACs were easier to make, so people had to use whatever was available.

Actually you are wrong. The AC 5 is so bad it is rarer than PPCs and LRMs in-spite of it having a lower or the same tech rating. The AC 5 has an availability rating that makes it rarer than all of the other 3025 ACs.

Trebuchet 7K has no peer for the damage profile it has with its movement rating, and it uses an AC 5. It's the only AC 5 design that isn't garbage.

As for other designs that use autocannons you would still be wrong. As deeply flawed as Autocannons are you can make a few designs that can't be outperformed with energy weapons. The number of useful designs are simply much lower.

The Devestator and Hammerhands are among the best uses of Autocannons.

The unofficial battletechnology Turbo Hunchback is the best mobile autocannon.

The Clint comes very close to being a 3025 precrusor to the Wraith but it simply lacks the ammo.

Speaking of which, one of my fixes for the AC 5 and 2 is to make them vastly more ammo efficient. The AC5 should get 30 shots per ton and the AC 2, 90 shots. The best part about this change is that record sheets in terms of BV or tonnage or crits don't need to change.
By making them more ammo efficient at the Starleague level we would fix a lot of problems as technology improves into the 3080s.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2012, 18:12:35 by mutantmagnet »

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: 30 May 2012, 20:15:27 »
Actually you are wrong. The AC 5 is so bad it is rarer than PPCs and LRMs in-spite of it having a lower or the same tech rating. The AC 5 has an availability rating that makes it rarer than all of the other 3025 ACs.

What? Seriously? As if the weapon weren't already gimped enough...

Trebuchet 7K has no peer for the damage profile it has with its movement rating, and it uses an AC 5. It's the only AC 5 design that isn't garbage.

How so?

*Googles Sarna Net Trebuchet*

Let's see... PPC, SRM-2, AC/5... I'm sorry. How is this loadout not garbage given that I can sub in an LRM-10 plus sinks for a better damage at range? You're going to have to explain this one.

As for other designs that use autocannons you would still be wrong. As deeply flawed as Autocannons are you can make a few designs that can't be outperformed with energy weapons. The number of useful designs are simply much lower.

The Devestator and Hammerhands are among the best uses of Autocannons.

They use AC/10s. Weren't we talking purely about AC/5s? The AC/10 I'll admit has some utility, even in the DHS era (although LB-10X would be better, at least before specialty munitions were introduced).

The unofficial battletechnology Turbo Hunchback is the best mobile autocannon.

Not listed on Sarna.net's Hunchback page, nor is their a separate page for it. What makes it the best?

The Clint comes very close to being a 3025 precrusor to the Wraith but it simply lacks the ammo.

1 AC/5 backed by two Medium Lasers? The 3025 Clint is arguably better off replacing the AC/5 with a PPC and extra Medium laser (and bracket firing of course). Of course then it would look sorta like a bigger, nastier Wolfhound.

Speaking of which, one of my fixes for the AC 5 and 2 is to make them vastly more ammo efficient. The AC5 should get 30 shots per ton and the AC 2, 90 shots. The best part about this change is that record sheets in terms of BV or tonnage or crits don't need to change.

That's great... except I've never heard anyone complain that these guns have too little ammo (unless we're talking about the 3025 Rifleman). The primary complaint is that they do TOO LITTLE damage for the tonnage they cost and have no other benefits that make them worth their weight. Doubling their ammo per ton does precisely zilch to help in that regard. That's why everyone here has been talking about ways to bump their damage or changing/inventing rules to make the lighter ACs more effective.

By making them more ammo efficient at the Starleague level we would fix a lot of problems as technology improves into the 3080s.

Problems like...

Overweight - doubling the ammo count does not fix the horrible damage to tonnage ratio that the lighter ACs have.

Doing too little damage per turn - this matters because the more damage you throw down range per turn, the faster you can kill your enemy. Conversely, the more damage the enemy throws at you, the faster he can kill you. It becomes a race and between two equally protected enemies, the guy who can sling more damage per turn is more likely to win. Lighter ACs are near automatically fail at this.

Too little heat - This doesn't look like a problem at first, but one of the main culprits for the Autocannon's heavy weight is that they don't generate much heat. They effectively have built in heat sink capacity that they cannot share with other weapons. Being able to share heat sinks is very important, especially when you're pairing long range weapons with minimum ranges (like the lighter ACs) with short range weapons that take over when enemies get inside those minimums. The problem is that all the short range weapons that would cover the lighter ACs' minimum range zones generate more heat than the ACs, which necessitates more heat sinks that the big heavy weapon isn't using, resulting in wasted tonnage compared to say, the PPC/3 Medium laser combo.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #113 on: 31 May 2012, 00:01:51 »
i really wish people wouldn't uses the AC/5 to exaggerate their complaints about autocannon quality- it's the worst gun in the autocannon lineup, and it's got a massive pile of competing weapons. we know this. it is not indicative of the rest of the guns. it's the old crotchety senile grandma of the autocannon family, please stop mocking it.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 31 May 2012, 01:41:05 »
Here's the order of usefulness in my opinion. 1) AC/20 2) AC/2 3) AC/5 ............4) AC/10. I HATE the AC/10. Too heavy. Crappy range. Not enough shots per ton. Too many crits. etc.

Damage and 1/2 number of shots per ton for specialty ammo gimp these guns more than anything else. Range is also pretty horrible.

But yeah, quite frankly anymore, most times I will gladly replace an AC/5 with an AC/2. But then it becomes a plinking game. Not always very fun.

I also cannot leave here without saying that the 3025 Clint is one of my favorite mechs EVAR! Used to do all sorts of things instead of use that AC/5 on it though. Usually involving a PPC. Lately I have been running one in MegaMek that uses an AC/2 instead and it is so cool! Not so effective. Just fun! Now if that little popgun did a bit more damage we would be in business.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #115 on: 31 May 2012, 02:02:15 »
The AC 10 bad?
Ok it depends on the design but really?

Take for example the Zeus... LRM 15, AC 5, Large Laser... a really successful variant of mine trade all these weapons for LRM 20 and AC 10 -> it deals at almost any range more damage
The Catapract...what do you wan't to mount as secondary armament?
The Hoplite with LRM 5 and AC 10 or the UrbanMech with AC 10 are bad - thats right.

I think how usefull a AC is depends on the additional armament. The AC 10 or AC 5 are the worst primary weapons. But they are acceptable secondary weapons.

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #116 on: 31 May 2012, 02:30:03 »
i really wish people wouldn't uses the AC/5 to exaggerate their complaints about autocannon quality- it's the worst gun in the autocannon lineup, and it's got a massive pile of competing weapons. we know this. it is not indicative of the rest of the guns. it's the old crotchety senile grandma of the autocannon family, please stop mocking it.

We aren't mocking it for laughs. There's a bunch of weapons that stand out and irritate us because the game designers try to present so many other weapons as balanced but failed so hard with some obvious lemmings and we want it to be fixed. Whether it is AC 5, Large Pulses, MRMs or VSL Mediums there is going to be those special few that are scorned above all other weapons for their obvious lameness even though they could be tweaked to become more inline with everything else.

This community would need less moderators if there was better game design. (This last statement is snark/ a joke because it is absurdly false)

What? Seriously? As if the weapon weren't already gimped enough...

How so?

*Googles Sarna Net Trebuchet*

Let's see... PPC, SRM-2, AC/5... I'm sorry. How is this loadout not garbage given that I can sub in an LRM-10 plus sinks for a better damage at range? You're going to have to explain this one.

They use AC/10s. Weren't we talking purely about AC/5s? The AC/10 I'll admit has some utility, even in the DHS era (although LB-10X would be better, at least before specialty munitions were introduced).

Not listed on Sarna.net's Hunchback page, nor is their a separate page for it. What makes it the best?

1 AC/5 backed by two Medium Lasers? The 3025 Clint is arguably better off replacing the AC/5 with a PPC and extra Medium laser (and bracket firing of course). Of course then it would look sorta like a bigger, nastier Wolfhound.

Pumping out ~15 damage at long range while moving 5/8 isn't easy. The 7K has a good balance of heat management, and under reliance on ammo to make it the only credible AC 5 design compared to other weapon compositions that attempt to fill that damage output with that movement rating.

Netzilla made a blanket statement about all ACs which deserved a rebuttal.

The Turbo Hunchback upgrades the engine to 5/8 and takes out the mediums for a small laser. It's the most fun I've ever had with an AC 20.

I compared the Clint to the Wraith. You can't run without overheating with PPCs for many designs in that era. The Clint has heatsinks to spare after it jumps and fires its autocannon. You can't do what the Clint attempted to do with energy weapons. It still fails at what it tried to do but I see it was the closest thing to what a Level 1 tech Wraith would've been like when you consider the limitations of the technology at that level.

That's great... except I've never heard anyone complain that these guns have too little ammo (unless we're talking about the 3025 Rifleman). The primary complaint is that they do TOO LITTLE damage for the tonnage they cost and have no other benefits that make them worth their weight. Doubling their ammo per ton does precisely zilch to help in that regard. That's why everyone here has been talking about ways to bump their damage or changing/inventing rules to make the lighter ACs more effective.

Problems like...

Overweight - doubling the ammo count does not fix the horrible damage to tonnage ratio that the lighter ACs have.

Doing too little damage per turn - this matters because the more damage you throw down range per turn, the faster you can kill your enemy. Conversely, the more damage the enemy throws at you, the faster he can kill you. It becomes a race and between two equally protected enemies, the guy who can sling more damage per turn is more likely to win. Lighter ACs are near automatically fail at this.

Too little heat - This doesn't look like a problem at first, but one of the main culprits for the Autocannon's heavy weight is that they don't generate much heat. They effectively have built in heat sink capacity that they cannot share with other weapons. Being able to share heat sinks is very important, especially when you're pairing long range weapons with minimum ranges (like the lighter ACs) with short range weapons that take over when enemies get inside those minimums. The problem is that all the short range weapons that would cover the lighter ACs' minimum range zones generate more heat than the ACs, which necessitates more heat sinks that the big heavy weapon isn't using, resulting in wasted tonnage compared to say, the PPC/3 Medium laser combo.

*shrugs*

The major problem with trying to get ACs fixed are record sheets. Very few people want to do the recalculations caused by tweaking damage, range, etc which are the most popular and simplest requests for change. I doubt anyone who wants to do these changes are collecting a paycheck for the game which makes these types of suggestions a non-starter.

That's half the reason why I approach AC or ballistic weapons with various suggestions for changes like

-Have energy weapons that aren't small or micro overheat if you aren't heat neutral at the end of your turn
-have ACs walk fire across targets dividing their damage (rounded up) but getting better targeting numbers with each division
-have ballistics simply go through woods and walls without penalty and even capable of hitting
-ballistics cause knockdown damage (my lamest suggestion)
-ballistics roll for new targets in their line of attack if they miss the previous target (my craziest)

The other half, relates to how you and I think on the same wavelength that ballistics in general are deeply flawed because at a fundamental level they don't have unique attributes like energy weapons or missiles as a weapon class.

Improved ammo is just another in a long list of suggestions I made over the years. But it is a bandaid only for AC 5s and 2s instead of the ballistics class.

It works because part of the problem for all ammo consuming weapons is how they must allocate weight to get an adequate amount of firing capacity.

At the 3025 level it doesn't help as much but it doesn't hinder existing or customs designs either.
At the post invasion level the benefits become more obvious.
You have to spend less tonnage on RACs.
Specialty ammo efficiency has been improved by 100%.
Designs that try to mount multiple AC 2s and 5s aren't starved for ammo.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #117 on: 31 May 2012, 03:54:44 »
-Have energy weapons that aren't small or micro overheat if you aren't heat neutral at the end of your turn
-have ACs walk fire across targets dividing their damage (rounded up) but getting better targeting numbers with each division
-have ballistics simply go through woods and walls without penalty and even capable of hitting

This wouldn't have a impact on BV so a good idea. Drawback it increased the necessary micromanagement to run a round.
Really like the idea with less reduced damage when shoting through woods and walls... O0

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 31 May 2012, 04:43:20 »
This wouldn't have a impact on BV so a good idea. Drawback it increased the necessary micromanagement to run a round.
Really like the idea with less reduced damage when shoting through woods and walls... O0
Actually, all those things (except, possibly, depending on how it's implemented the second) should increase BV. Weapon advantages/limitations other than range and damage are part of BV - it's just that the official system is badly designed and usually doesn't assign a realistic number to them.

To put it simply, improving ACs in any way should increase the BV. Because, you know, it would be an improvement!

va_wanderer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #119 on: 31 May 2012, 09:31:17 »
4) AC/10. I HATE the AC/10. Too heavy. Crappy range. Not enough shots per ton. Too many crits. etc.

It's notable that the only straight-up-better-in-all-things LB-X autocannon is...the LB-10X.  Smaller, lighter, better range, less heat AND it gets the wonders of cluster munitions without any specialty ammo "penalty".

All the other ones are at least modestly bulkier (though except for the IS -20X this usually isn't a huge problem), but apparently the /10 was the one they could really do better with in every way....oh, and then they made a heat-up version of the AC/10 and called it "Plasma Rifle". :P

Register