Author Topic: Talk top me about...the post-Jihad Hunchbacks  (Read 11354 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Talk top me about...the post-Jihad Hunchbacks
« Reply #60 on: 06 March 2014, 19:28:51 »
Not a Hunchy per-say, but I had a Victor with the ultra 20 in MadCap's campaign and by the time the fight got hot, it either got a shot or two at long range or was disabled by long range fire before it could do anything. Swapping in an ultra 10 made a world of difference. Formerly long range shots were at medium and the 'mech attracted a lot less fire.

There's something to be said for this, for sure... at that point though, if the whole issue is gaining range over the AC-20 series, a Gauss Rifle is just a better trade-up overall, with even better range for similar on-average damage (if we assume you hit with the second shot half the time on the Ultra).
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #61 on: 06 March 2014, 20:45:26 »
For those who need need the "Big Gun," the Legionnaire more or less fills that role that the AC/20 Hunchback did in the SW perfectly while the R7 takes on a new role as Trooper/Spotter. Team these two together along with another medium mech with with range, and you should have one hell of a team.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #62 on: 06 March 2014, 20:47:43 »
I finally tried one out last weekend. Well, two, but one spent most of the game unconscius, so that's neither here nor there. The one that did stay active tore the crap out of a Joust in one turn and practically OSKed a Marauder II C in the next, so consider me sold on them. O0

Wait...these are the UAC/10-armed variants...?  How did you manage that unless you were double-tapping and consistently landing both shots in the same location?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #63 on: 06 March 2014, 21:13:15 »
Nah, it was with a Quasimodo. The Marauder had taken a lucky LRM TAC to an engine crit a few turns back, so the Quasi warmed up the TSM and ran up a hill right next to it. Land a close-range VSPL shot to a side torso, widen that hole with a double-strength kick that takes off said torso and the XL engine within...and bing bang boom, he's more or less solo-killed the biggest monster on the battlefield with almost no damage in return. Needless to say, that one turn convinced me of the Quasimodo's worth. O0

As for Ultra-10s, I always double-tap them, unless the numbers are REALLY bad. Combine 'em with the Direct-blow rules in TO, and I find landing both shots on target is actually pretty common. Makes Siroccos FUN. >:D
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #64 on: 06 March 2014, 21:55:05 »
As for Ultra-10s, I always double-tap them, unless the numbers are REALLY bad. Combine 'em with the Direct-blow rules in TO, and I find landing both shots on target is actually pretty common. Makes Siroccos FUN. >:D

Whoof. That makes UAC monsters like the Sirocco actually scary.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #65 on: 06 March 2014, 21:57:19 »
Them and any other cluster weapon(or cluster units, like BA and infantry), but Ultras definitely get a massive boost, even if it's only in the perception.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #66 on: 07 March 2014, 08:36:00 »
Yeah, Quasimodo's are little monsters.  I've been meaning to run a League force with that but just haven't put anything together yet.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #67 on: 07 March 2014, 10:18:11 »
Whoof. That makes UAC monsters like the Sirocco actually scary.

And the Legacy, if you happen to be a WoBbie.  >:D

(What happened to that 'Mech anyway?  Did it get redesigned and renamed by the Republic?)

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #68 on: 07 March 2014, 10:32:48 »
And the Legacy, if you happen to be a WoBbie.  >:D

(What happened to that 'Mech anyway?  Did it get redesigned and renamed by the Republic?)

cheers,

Gabe

although derailing, it was seen as too close a symbol of the Word's evil and obliterated into oblivion.  There are still the possibility of a few examples out there (like the fFWL's Iron Guard who had no problem using salvaged designs and C3i) but for all intents and purposes it's extinct. 

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #69 on: 16 March 2014, 07:42:09 »
What about the Hunchie with the VSP's and the particle field thingy?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 16 March 2014, 08:34:34 »
What about the Hunchie with the VSP's and the particle field thingy?
That's QSM-3D Quasimodo from 3140. It's a logical successor of HBK-4P Swayback (2937) and HBK-5P Swayback (3069).

It's important to remember that Quasimodo is no skirmisher - it's primary duty is to close to enemy ASAP and introduce him to three Medium VSP Lasers and TSM-enhanced punches.

Suggested tactics is to fire its three pulse lasers (-3 to-hit modifier) and head laser from point-blank range for 30 damage and then punch for 2*12 points in physical attacks phase. Enemy 'Mech that loses 54 points of armor won't be exactly happy ...

I wrote few lines about Quasimodo, if you wanna read it:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,32332.msg757512.html#msg757512
« Last Edit: 16 March 2014, 08:36:57 by martian »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #71 on: 16 March 2014, 11:38:07 »
You forgot the part about 'uncontrollably giggling while doing this 54 points of damage'. That's an important step!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 16 March 2014, 11:43:51 »
You forgot the part about 'uncontrollably giggling while doing this 54 points of damage'. That's an important step!

Sounds pretty mischievously ...    }:)

Register