Author Topic: A true ilClan?  (Read 1608 times)

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
A true ilClan?
« on: 10 May 2021, 18:05:45 »
The Clans have been twenty independent squabbling entities since their inception. Not truly being a unified society really hampered their invasion plans in Operation Revival. I think the biggest problem in Clan society are the 'Might makes right' and 'Survival of the Fittest' tenets in Clan society. What if the Clans were a more unified society? What if instead of twenty Khans and saKhans, there was a single ilKhan (of the Clans) and a single Khan (or saKhan...of the Clans). The ilKhan and Khan (or saKhan) could be from any of the twenty Clans? You can still have Trials and a Grand Council, but the Clans would be a full society, rather than 20 separate mini-societies?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: A true ilClan?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2021, 19:42:40 »
That would have made them virtually unstoppable if the invasion happened otherwise the same. They could have directed 80% of all the clans, rather than 40% of half a dozen clans piece meal. No need to hold back to deal with homeworld stuff and other clans encroachment. The medaling of clan Wolf would have been minimized or maximized, either way the minds behind the invasion wouldn’t have been split. They could have pushed to the middle of the CapCon before the IS would have had an answer, rather than halfway through the LC and DC. 
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2021, 21:26:22 »
I think the Clans should have merged together sooner in their history. I think that the political century should have seen a merging of several Clans perhaps along the 'modern' Crusader/Warden divide. Probably under the dominion of Wolf (Hard Warden with Coyote and Adder), Jade Falcon (Moderate Crusader with Ice Hellion and Steel Viper), Ghost Bear (Moderate Warden/Bastion with Cloud Cobra and Nova Cat), and Smoke Jaguar (Hard Crusader/Aggressor with Fire Mandrill and Mongoose)} with Harvest Trials regularly occurring between them to deal with 'nonconforming' Warriors.

These Clans could have maintained the Status Quo enough in the Grand Council and there would be some very interesting games that could occur during that time as 14 Clans get Absorbed. I think that each would be forced to take action after the Outbound Light shows up for their own reasons at the very least to blunt the impact of their more ferocious brethren.

The ilKhan would serve as tiebreaker in the council and come from one of the lesser Clans. Each ovKhan controls the lesser Khans of the Absorbed who in turn have their own saKhan.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2021, 22:29:38 »
Nicholas’s entry from Legends suggests that may have been his plan - form the unified ilClan first, then go back to the Inner Sphere.  And then he ate a stray laser...
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2021, 03:06:37 »
I think the Clans should have merged together sooner in their history. I think that the political century should have seen a merging of several Clans perhaps along the 'modern' Crusader/Warden divide. Probably under the dominion of Wolf (Hard Warden with Coyote and Adder), Jade Falcon (Moderate Crusader with Ice Hellion and Steel Viper), Ghost Bear (Moderate Warden/Bastion with Cloud Cobra and Nova Cat), and Smoke Jaguar (Hard Crusader/Aggressor with Fire Mandrill and Mongoose)} with Harvest Trials regularly occurring between them to deal with 'nonconforming' Warriors.

These Clans could have maintained the Status Quo enough in the Grand Council and there would be some very interesting games that could occur during that time as 14 Clans get Absorbed. I think that each would be forced to take action after the Outbound Light shows up for their own reasons at the very least to blunt the impact of their more ferocious brethren.

The ilKhan would serve as tiebreaker in the council and come from one of the lesser Clans. Each ovKhan controls the lesser Khans of the Absorbed who in turn have their own saKhan.

An interesting idea, although I'd change the mix some and have the power structure as: four 'top-tier' Clans dominant (Wolf, Falcon, Bear, Jaguar) and five smaller 'second-tier' Clans remaining (Shark, Cat, Horses, Cobra, Scorpion), with the latter allying with or against each other and the alpha Clans as needed. With a Galaxy or two apiece of 'mini-Clans' - ex-Coyotes, Adders, Spirits, Burrocks, etc within their new overlords - to add some variety.

Nicholas’s entry from Legends suggests that may have been his plan - form the unified ilClan first, then go back to the Inner Sphere.  And then he ate a stray laser...

Maybe, although he didn't push for the Blood Spirits to suffer the same fate as the Not-Named when he could have. And the Steel Vipers were let off the hook when Kerensky could have seized upon the Traitor Khan's actions to destroy that Clan as well. The Cloud Cobras and Burrocks also had dissident rumblings during that period as well, although they might have successfully concealed those the way the Ice Hellions hid their own miscreants.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2021, 05:15:45 »
Maybe the remaining Homeclans have been united and form a new Clan. Maybe like many of the Germanic tribes began to form great confederacies in the 3rd century AD (as to Franks and Alemanni).

What the Clans would have needed, IMHO, are units, made of members of all Clans (e.g. an ilKhan`s Galaxy / Ebon Guards Galaxy). This would have given the Clans both the idea and Praxis of working together and that they are one people.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2021, 10:41:06 »
I think a Warden/Crusader/We are not ready yet (Bastion), split would work and still keep a lot of BT history intact,

Dragoon compromise can still happen due to Bastions Clan(s),

After the Outbound Light incident; separate Warden and Crusader invasion corridor instead of Wolf, Falcon, Bear Jaguar, maybe with the Bastions activated like the secondary clans were, maybe followed by an ejection back to the homeworlds or a "told you so" after the battle of Tukiyad and them retreating back to the homeworlds.

You can have the Society being a thing starting in the Warden/Crusader scientists stuck in the homeworlds and the ruling of the Warden/Crusader's as tainted by the Bastions.
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Register