Author Topic: Let's talk matchmaking and player recruiting strategies.  (Read 924 times)

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
Re: Let's talk matchmaking and player recruiting strategies.
« Reply #30 on: Today at 01:54:02 »
My one issue with strting folks off in 3025 is that a lot of the forcepacks currently sold have mechs that are post then and don't have downgraded models, meaning that if someone likes the game and picks up a Forcepack they think looks cool they can then get told "no, you can't use that."  While it is a bit more complicated I personally think that For everything past a specifically set up learners game you really want to use at least clan invasion era tech.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #31 on: Today at 01:57:21 »
I think 3025 introtech is the ideal place to start new players at.
I think the Beginner League should always be 3025, and that there should always be a 3025 game going for new players to drop into. 

I completely agree.

A lot of people will advocate for Clan Tech &/or flat out Repulic Era because that is the "fiction" era, but to me, what makes a good player is mastering movement, balancing heat, knowing how to keep your TMM higher than you AMM, using terrain, etc etc.

If there was one out there, I'd use a "Fire Javelin w/o JJs" as my ideal trainer mech.
There isn't so instead, I'd substitute Mongoose-67 or Wolfhound-1 as canon mechs that are close to that.

I don't want them getting addicted to JJ overuse,  I don't want them fiddling w/ 4 different weapon bands, I don't want them in slow 4/6/0 Mediums as much as those mechs are suggested for "trainer" games.

I want them in something that is "fast-ISH" and has simple weapons so they are learning how to position on the board.
Because watching someone make a bad movement & leave themselves at a +1 TMM (or 0) when they could have been +3 & then get pasted by an enemy lance both hurts your team chances at winning but also isn't helping the player learn really.

Knowing when to go around, go over, hide in, or stay behind various terrain features, and for that matter, when NOT TO, is one of the things that can separate a one player from another in terms of skill.

If you can master playing (killing with) 3025-LIGHT MECHS then Heavy/Assaults &/or Clan Tech is all "Easy Mode"
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:01:44 »
My one issue with strting folks off in 3025 is that a lot of the forcepacks currently sold have mechs that are post then and don't have downgraded models, meaning that if someone likes the game and picks up a Forcepack they think looks cool they can then get told "no, you can't use that."  While it is a bit more complicated I personally think that For everything past a specifically set up learners game you really want to use at least clan invasion era tech.
Are they really picking up a Force Pack w/o first getting AGoAC & the 8 mechs from 3025 in that pack along w/ the basic game rules?

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #33 on: Today at 05:47:54 »
I think Clans actually are a better beginning point since they are now key in the 'present' of the ilClan Era.

Just don't equip them with pulse weapons at first (save that for the third game), other than that all the Clantech weapons are basically just supe'd up versions of 3025 era kit. You can even give them the same mech with different weapon load outs to introduce evolving tactics (and the benefits vs drawbacks of heat). Ultras and LBX are pretty simple to understand and you could always just used the Improved Ballistics. Clan Trials (and their 3/4 MechWarriors) make for a faster/deadlier/more exciting game with an immediate hook that doesn't require a lot of set up or thought beyond "Might makes Right" Warrior Clans fighting for supremacy.

3025 is IMO actually much more difficult to play as the weapon ranges are so 'short' and the movement/range/balance tactics are more advanced and slower paced. Melee is more pivotal in 3025 and more complicated than weapons fire (though not very) while heat is crippling compared to the Clan Warriors riding that heat curve with their more advanced machines.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #34 on: Today at 08:37:26 »

That's about 8 'Mechs that aren't Clan, unless you're including the MRM and SRM Urbanmech and the Heavy Gauss Highlander.

Are they really picking up a Force Pack w/o first getting AGoAC & the 8 mechs from 3025 in that pack along w/ the basic game rules?

$30 and relying on the group to explain rules vs $60 and getting a basic rulebook?

It happens a lot, especially if the AGoAC isn't available or the 'Mechs in a Forcepack are just more attractive.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:27:38 »
$30 and relying on the group to explain rules vs $60 and getting a basic rulebook?

It happens a lot, especially if the AGoAC isn't available or the 'Mechs in a Forcepack are just more attractive.

I guess I haven't seen the issue of AGoAC being out of stock.
It's not like those Intro Boxes from 15-20 years ago w/ 24/26 mechs in them.
I see AGoAC in every game store I go to.  Basic Box too.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #36 on: Today at 13:36:55 »
I guess I haven't seen the issue of AGoAC being out of stock.
It's not like those Intro Boxes from 15-20 years ago w/ 24/26 mechs in them.
I see AGoAC in every game store I go to.  Basic Box too.

It's been available lately, I won't argue, but a year ago?  2 years ago?  It was like pulling teeth trying to get one's hands on it at times.

But also don't ignore the initial purchase price.  With the economy in bad straits right now, $60 may just be too far right now.

And again, sometimes what ForcePacks they have access to may just attract them more.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #37 on: Today at 14:46:08 »
I think Clans actually are a better beginning point since they are now key in the 'present' of the ilClan Era.

Just don't equip them with pulse weapons at first (save that for the third game), other than that all the Clantech weapons are basically just supe'd up versions of 3025 era kit. You can even give them the same mech with different weapon load outs to introduce evolving tactics (and the benefits vs drawbacks of heat). Ultras and LBX are pretty simple to understand and you could always just used the Improved Ballistics. Clan Trials (and their 3/4 MechWarriors) make for a faster/deadlier/more exciting game with an immediate hook that doesn't require a lot of set up or thought beyond "Might makes Right" Warrior Clans fighting for supremacy.

3025 is IMO actually much more difficult to play as the weapon ranges are so 'short' and the movement/range/balance tactics are more advanced and slower paced. Melee is more pivotal in 3025 and more complicated than weapons fire (though not very) while heat is crippling compared to the Clan Warriors riding that heat curve with their more advanced machines.

This is my experience. Simple Clan mechs are far more forgiving to play with their higher movement, the higher damage makes for a more exciting game, and the player is less likely to be completely outclassed once they are let loose in the ilClan Era. We mostly play in the ilClan Era, and for us it makes sense that we teach people how to play in that Era.  If we ran a lot of 3rd Succession War campaigns, Leagues, or Tournament it would make more sense to teach people with IntroTech.

I don't see a lot of successful 3025-only, or even 3025-mostly groups. Once a group has boot strapped past a single table I would argue that it's critical to start branching out and give different parts of the system a try. Faction, Unit, and Mech affinity are great for keeping people in the game.  If something speaks to a player, they need to have the opportunity too really engage with it on the table, or you will wind up losing them to MegaMek or another game entirely.