Author Topic: WarShip of the Week: Stefan Amaris  (Read 20439 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: WarShip of the Week: Stefan Amaris
« Reply #30 on: 24 January 2014, 09:58:26 »
Realistically (Yeah, I know.  :D) the Chieftain and Vengeance were completed, it depends if construction materials for theorically other hulls could have been used to complete them.  This was the case with the real world Iowa Class Battleship Wisconsin using the uncompleted Kentucky to replace its damaged bow after it was rammed.

It would have been neat if single Stefan Amaris Battleship was written up before Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, maybe Invisible Truth's counter part in that deathduel above Terra could have been a unknown survivor the Blakist had salvaged.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #31 on: 24 January 2014, 18:02:39 »
It would have been neat if single Stefan Amaris Battleship was written up before Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, maybe Invisible Truth's counter part in that deathduel above Terra could have been a unknown survivor the Blakist had salvaged.

Agreed, would of been cool for sure :) Though im sure the clans would of gone balistick as soon as they saw the class pop up in the computer screens XD  >:D

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #32 on: 24 January 2014, 19:40:47 »
   Agreed, would of been cool for sure :) Though im sure the clans would of gone balistick as soon as they saw the class pop up in the computer screens XD  >:D

Ehhh not really. The Clans' history is filled with a policy of admiring the weapon but hating the pilot. During the Golden Age, they adapted the Matar into the Stone Rhino. Clan Burrock was even founded by a pair of brothers from the Rim Worlds Republic. And after the Wars of Reaving, the Society's most iconic equipment (Osteon and Septicemia) were both adopted into the arsenals of the remaining Homeworld Clans. They even decided to keep the names intact. :)

I think they'd respect the warship for what it is, but rename the classification to "Kerensky-Class" or something honoring a founder.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 25 January 2014, 01:33:38 »
Besides, all you would have done is add another multi-million ton warship to the Word's roster.  It would have been creepy and cool at first, but like the good old Atlas the stats are very lackluster.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 25 January 2014, 01:36:49 »
Besides, all you would have done is add another multi-million ton warship to the Word's roster.  It would have been creepy and cool at first, but like the good old Atlas the stats are very lackluster.

I honestly don't find them that "terrible." Some of the SL warships are downright awful and a liability in combat. This would do quite well if backed up by a shield of Aegis-class cruisers and some Quixote-class fire support. I imagine there would be quite a few Pinto-class pickets 10-15 hexes up.

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #35 on: 25 January 2014, 04:59:43 »
I like the fact that part of Kerensky's idea to use them was to rubbed it in against fat bastard he was using his toys against him.

Payback for Amaris using the Jackrabbit against the SLDF...?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 25 January 2014, 09:32:43 »

I honestly don't find them that "terrible." Some of the SL warships are downright awful and a liability in combat. This would do quite well if backed up by a shield of Aegis-class cruisers and some Quixote-class fire support. I imagine there would be quite a few Pinto-class pickets 10-15 hexes up.

I have to disagree, when compared to other house and SLDF ships it is a good ship of the line, its main mission is to kill other capitol ships, and at that i think it is pretty optimized and will handle itself vary well against anything except perhaps a SLDF battleship. As a side note, the Atlas has good stats for its time, u have to put these things into the era they were used for them to make sens sometimes.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2014, 09:59:54 by Zureal »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #37 on: 25 January 2014, 11:33:36 »
Payback for Amaris using the Jackrabbit against the SLDF...?

cheers,

Gabe
Considering how crappy the Jackrabbits were, how SLDF soldiers enjoyed using them for sport of Mech hunting, I don't think Kerensky minded it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 25 January 2014, 16:05:41 »
Considering how crappy the Jackrabbits were, how SLDF soldiers enjoyed using them for sport of Mech hunting, I don't think Kerensky minded it.

I don't really find them to be the worst thing ever. ::shrug::

The plain JKR-8T is a little gnat with low BV and "ok" movement. Not meant to be seen in big packs, but certainly one of those little buggers that runs around and immobilizes vehicles as part of a scouting/raiding party. The -9R is superb and is a superior swarm unit.

The real benefit to them is the ease with which you could swap out the armament for mission-specific guns. PPC, ER Large, Large Laser, LRM-10, etc. all fit onto that right arm with ease.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #39 on: 25 January 2014, 17:52:08 »
  I have to disagree, when compared to other house and SLDF ships it is a good ship of the line, its main mission is to kill other capitol ships, and at that i think it is pretty optimized and will handle itself vary well against anything except perhaps a SLDF battleship. As a side note, the Atlas has good stats for its time, u have to put these things into the era they were used for them to make sens sometimes.

The only reason it has any advantage over the majority of the SLF cruisers is armour.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 25 January 2014, 18:14:00 »
The only reason it has any advantage over the majority of the SLF cruisers is armour.

Absolutely. And that's HUGE. You don't need to be able to do 200 damage in a turn. You need to be able to take 200 and keep firing back. Compare it to a Luxor-class Heavy Cruiser:

Broadside + Aft/Side (at Long Range)
Code: [Select]
Luxor: 305 [22 + 36 + 60 + 60 + 50 + 50 + 27]
Stefan Amaris: 253 [5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 50 + 50 + 40 + 40 + 45 + 8]

..however, the Luxor has only 151 armor on either side, the Stefan Amaris has 260. In this comparison, it's a wash. Either ship is capable of destroying the other in short order. The only major difference is at Extreme bracket, where most damage is unlikely to make contact anyhow.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #41 on: 25 January 2014, 19:06:56 »
The only major difference is at Extreme bracket, where most damage is unlikely to make contact anyhow.

That's the great power of SLDF WarShips. Most can use bracketing fire to its utmost, and so they can hit reliably at extreme range. The damage isn't as heavy as if from full-power salvos, but they add up quick, and any House or Periphery ship is likely to be pretty beat up by the time they can respond effectively.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #42 on: 25 January 2014, 19:17:37 »
The maths for a bracketing Black Lion end up with the Lion being about equal to the Amaris including armour. That's with both ships bracketing.

With ECM in play the SLDF cruisers can fight at 40 hexes while the Amaris isn't effective till 25 hexes. Ships like the Mjolnir beat this by charging in. If you can find a way of stopping or slowing down the Amaris the cruiser wins. And that is before the SLDF unleashes the Hellcat IIs...

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 25 January 2014, 19:57:59 »
The maths for a bracketing Black Lion end up with the Lion being about equal to the Amaris including armour. That's with both ships bracketing.

With ECM in play the SLDF cruisers can fight at 40 hexes while the Amaris isn't effective till 25 hexes. Ships like the Mjolnir beat this by charging in. If you can find a way of stopping or slowing down the Amaris the cruiser wins. And that is before the SLDF unleashes the Hellcat IIs...

We are comparing strickly the capship vs caship here. But what you say is true on all accounts. One also has to remember that a "mere" RWR nation built the thing, rather major accomplishment that i say

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #44 on: 27 January 2014, 01:14:27 »
Where can one find the rules for the Warships game?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #45 on: 27 January 2014, 07:48:48 »
Total War for most space mechanics, Strategic Operations for advanced units like WarShips.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #46 on: 29 January 2014, 09:08:13 »
Much obliged i'll have to root though them later.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register