Author Topic: Need opinion on nBSG-BT...  (Read 10584 times)

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
Re: Need opinion on nBSG-BT...
« Reply #30 on: 20 March 2011, 15:40:51 »
If stating original Battlestar Galactica fighters (both Cylon Raiders and Human Vipers) I would make them smaller (in the 20 to 40 ton range) with twin medium lasers or at most twin large lasers.  In the Battlestar Galactica show they used generic ray beams to show their weapons.  And they take up a LOT less weight than something like an AC.  And the Shuttles would be 200 ton small craft.

The new series that used that name makes things suitably difficult with the shift over to projectile weapons since there ARE no good small projectile weapons in BattleTech.  Hmm...on the other hand, what about that tiny little micro gauss thing.  It's pretty new, has the range of around a medium laser IIRC, and is awful small.  *looks around*  Ah yes.  MagShot Gauss Rifle.  Half a ton, medium laser range, does 2 damage, 1 heat.  I'd probably put two or three of those on a wing and fluff them as being one gun on automatic fire.

For firing nukes and such, I say the Cylon Raiders get to use external ordnance rules like normal for stuff like that.
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #31 on: 20 March 2011, 16:03:41 »
Bull pucky. It was poor tactics, pure & simple. If Galactica had been alone then it woulda been suicide. Pegasus presence allowed them to escape. Prior to Galactica leaving, the Pegasus had suffered minimal damage in the fight. Once the Galactica wasn't there, Lee coulda led the basestars on a merry chase around the system before escaping.

No offence, but I really think you need to (re)familiarise yourself with the show. 'Cos as Ruger said, that's not how it happened.

If the BattleStars had been fully crewed, and had been able to deploy all their Vipers, the Colonials would have simply and easily annihilated the Cylons at New Caprica. Unfortunately, both were running on skeleton crews with only a fraction of their assigned air wings available. Admiral Adama's plan was for sleight of hand to draw the Cylons away while the Colonials escaped; he could have held two BaseStars off for long enough, but more arrived. Lee knew his father's plan was optimistic in the extreme and that if the Cylons turned out to have any assets in place the Colonials were unaware of, it would be a suicide run.

Why so slow? I thought the speed of the raiders were roughly equal to that of the Vipers. A 35t 10/15/10/5 (XLFE), 29/22/15, W: 2xLAC5(40),  2xMG(100) would be a nice compromise.

The Raiders don't appear to be as maneuverable as the Vipers. More aerodynamic and better in atmosphere perhaps, but in space the Vipers have them beat in every possible area aside from the additional gun ports.

I know you want to "compromise", but the BSG fighters are significantly more powerful than you want to give them credit for. If you reduce their speed, they move at around the same rate as BT fighters at that mass, but devote a bit more tonnage to weapons systems than armour, in the same fashion as pre-AT2 ASFs.

Whats the citation for the galleon on Gemenon?  I missed that & want to follow up on it.

BSG RPG.

If stating original Battlestar Galactica fighters (both Cylon Raiders and Human Vipers) I would make them smaller (in the 20 to 40 ton range) with twin medium lasers or at most twin large lasers.  In the Battlestar Galactica show they used generic ray beams to show their weapons.  And they take up a LOT less weight than something like an AC.  And the Shuttles would be 200 ton small craft.

oBSG is right out. The BattleStars are capable of reaching light speed in real space with minimal effort, with the basic Vipers able to achieve a significant portion of that; they also find it a trivial task to modify a Viper for Starbuck that can sustain light speed for extended periods. Not only that, but the BattleStars (at least) employ energy shields. Add in explicit psychic powers and god-like beings who take an active role in proceedings, and BT doesn't have a hope.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 20 March 2011, 16:47:14 »
The jumping advantage would be huge. To NOT be restricted to the Nadir and Zenith Jump Points....

You could steer clear of aerospace defenses and patrols entirely and appear in places where by all rights, you just couldn't be there. You can even jump raptors (and Battlestars for that matter, but not recommended) into a planet's atmosphere.

"They are using pirate jump points!"

"Where?"

"EVERYWHERE!!!!"

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 26 March 2011, 00:28:47 »
I'll chime in with my 2 cents.  I think that the MGs they are using are Heavy MGs in Rapid fire mode, ie d6+1 dmg.  Lee using a MK VII has three of them, so that he is doing 3d6+3 points of damage. I even say that they are put into an Array, so that  they hit in the same place.  that is at Max damage 21pts for the Mk VII and 14pt for a MK II Viper.  Say that an average hit with the MGs would put, them at 4 pts each, so that you Threshold fighter fairly easily.  Now you can have a fast armored fighter, with a MG that is used in a dog fight. I would give both raiders and vipers low bar armor (I say BAR 4-5). As for the The warships the Galatica is the equivalent of WWII Heavy Cruiser, while the Mercury is that of a modern AEGIS Cruiser.  The Galatica was built to slug it out at pointblank range and the mercury to stand off and fight, so when the the Pegasus went to knife fighting range it lost a lot of it's capability (No ECM, limited Antifighter/ antimissile defenses compared to the Galatica's that lost almost no defense Capability). Or at least that might explain the situation we saw on TV.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Register