Author Topic: Non-Celestial C3i mechs.  (Read 11942 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: Non-Celestial C3i mechs.
« Reply #30 on: 01 November 2011, 00:24:24 »
Is there a reason not to?  It's a canon variant.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 01 November 2011, 00:39:35 »
I updated the Wiki to include all the other non-Omnis in the C3i category; wondering whether to include the Omnis with a canon C3 variant (eg. Avatar OE).

W.

Good work with that Wiki. I don't dare to edit there anything because that's for people who live with BattleTech. I could spoil something.

And I agree that canon OmniMech variants should be listed there. Otherwise, everyone knows that it's possible to mount C3i computer at any OmniMech if it has room for it..

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 01 November 2011, 02:44:14 »
None, I am sorry. When I wrote this, I was in a hurry and mistaken Targeting Computer for C3i computer. By the way, I have wondered why ComStar produces 'Mech with C3 slave, when they actually don't field C3 networks. Probably they could buy some C3Master equipped 'Mechs from Draconis Combine, but even then...

Its actually a WoB variant. It popped up after the WoB took Terra. And yeah. No one can really say why they're producing it (not one version, but two, IIRC with standard C3). I asked the writers about it, and I seem to recall getting some little bizarre song and dance and "Well, maybe its going to WoB mercs..." When it was pointed out that the fluff specifically says these units were going to WoBM units, there wasn't much of a response :)

They also later on did it with a Banshee variant as well.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #33 on: 01 November 2011, 04:14:42 »
As I understand things, the FWL got C3 long before they got C3i, and therefore had some C3 slaves; same thing with Blake Militia units. But yes, it's a little wierd.

And ... Locust with C3i? ??? Meep meep!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

monty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 01 November 2011, 04:25:35 »
Its actually a WoB variant. It popped up after the WoB took Terra. And yeah. No one can really say why they're producing it (not one version, but two, IIRC with standard C3). I asked the writers about it, and I seem to recall getting some little bizarre song and dance and "Well, maybe its going to WoB mercs..." When it was pointed out that the fluff specifically says these units were going to WoBM units, there wasn't much of a response :)

I asked the same question about a month ago & was told that it was probably built to augment their forces of captured C3 mechs (rather than refitting the captured mechs with C3i). Personally I think that when the sheet was being created the TRO description (installed C3 for better command and control integration) was quickly read & the mech was mistakenly given c3 rather than c3i which would have fitted without the LT CASE & the reduction of the LRM15 ammo from 2 tons to 1 ton.

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum.
Let him who desires peace prepare for war. (Vegetius)

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 01 November 2011, 06:42:08 »
I asked the same questions in the ERRATA IIRC as the RS3055 rolled out.
My suggestion was to replace the std structure with ES, and the FF armor w/ std. So you'd gain the tonnage to keep the armor at a comparable level (one or two points difference) and upgrade the C3 to C3i.
No problems with available space and/or the description in TRO:3055U.

I got the reply that WoB also uses C3 networks. (Why they should produce two variants using C3s was apparently a secret  ???).

Nevertheless, I'm using these two modified designs in MM...

"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #36 on: 01 November 2011, 12:11:04 »

They also later on did it with a Banshee variant as well.

The BNC-8S was a mech that Defiance Industries was already developing when the Word captured the planet.  It wasn't a Word designed mech.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 02 November 2011, 12:50:44 »
The BNC-8S was a mech that Defiance Industries was already developing when the Word captured the planet.  It wasn't a Word designed mech.
The TRO states only that
A variant produced by Defiance after its capture by the WoB [...]
Nothing about who developed this variant.
WoB also finished the design of the ZEUS-11T  ::)
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 02 November 2011, 14:29:17 »
The Zeus that god knows how many years later is still using the same ridiculous record sheet that doesn't fit the fluff and is pretty much unplayable? :)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 02 November 2011, 14:44:09 »
WoB also finished the design of the ZEUS-11T 

What Technical Readout is it from?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #40 on: 02 November 2011, 14:55:19 »
The Zeus that god knows how many years later is still using the same ridiculous record sheet that doesn't fit the fluff and is pretty much unplayable? :)

Yep, that one. Buy a coolant truck and quit whining, silly Lyrans.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 02 November 2011, 16:44:54 »
What Technical Readout is it from?

3050U

Yep, that one. Buy a coolant truck and quit whining, silly Lyrans.  ;D

Nah, they should just update the record sheets and fix the design, giving it the engines and heatsinks its supposed to have. :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #42 on: 02 November 2011, 16:52:41 »
The TRO states only thatNothing about who developed this variant.
WoB also finished the design of the ZEUS-11T  ::)

Per Milspec,. the 8S was something Defiance was already working on prior to the Blakist invasion.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 02 November 2011, 16:53:29 »
I see now. So ZEU-11T is the same machine as ZEU-10WB?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 02 November 2011, 21:19:28 »
Oops. That's the one I'm talking about. Just had the designation wrong.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #45 on: 02 November 2014, 11:04:19 »
Glad I did a search before I started a new thread. I am trying to put together a unit of Jihad era former Comstar mercenaries who have decided to take the fight to the Word. I can use this list. Does anyone have a good name for the unit?

Kojak

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #46 on: 02 November 2014, 14:40:32 »
Glad I did a search before I started a new thread. I am trying to put together a unit of Jihad era former Comstar mercenaries who have decided to take the fight to the Word. I can use this list. Does anyone have a good name for the unit?

The Tighty Whities

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #47 on: 02 November 2014, 15:22:38 »
I pretty much asked for that, didn't I?

Kojak

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #49 on: 02 November 2014, 15:49:51 »
How about the Holy Rollers?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

dwinter

• Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 03 November 2014, 14:04:48 »
Can also a lot of these for Terran Supremacy mechs as well :).
Star Commander David Llywelyn, 9th Raven Striker Cluster "The Snow Hunters", 1st Nova, Alpha Galaxy

Lieutenant Robin Llywelyn, 2nd Mech Striker Company, 2nd Mech Regiment, 59th Jump Infantry Division, XXXVI Corp, Sixteenth Army