Author Topic: Battle Rifle 5 (Halo 5)  (Read 4128 times)

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
Battle Rifle 5 (Halo 5)
« on: 03 November 2015, 15:39:05 »
Anyone else here play this game?  This is a review/critique of the game in a forum where the moderators dont ban you for saying things that arent praising the game (bungie/343 forums).

Warzone.  Very cool concept, however there are drastic improvements that are needed.  I would even go so far as to say that Halo 5 is what should be the beta version of the game.  The campaign is short, there are only 3 true warzone maps, and there are a lot of mechanics that are off.

You see my title: Battle Rifle 5.  This gun.  This gun.  I can't even begin to describe how much i loathe that weapon's existence without dropping near infinite curse words mixed in with crushing stuff with a sledgehammer while burning down a city and dropping nukes all over the world simultaneously. 

Negatives:
-No consistency, can die from 2 bursts, can die from 4 bursts, who knows.
-Has the accuracy of the DMR at long range
-Can outgun the SMG and Assault Rifle at short range, sometimes even the SAW.

Positives(?):
-It can kill anyone, anything, anywhere. 

If you are playing online and watching the kill listings you will see 90% (minimum) of the game that the kills come from battle rifles.  There is little to no variety in weapon usage in the game except for the Battle Rifle, power weapons, or vehicles.  I don't know about you, but I have seen complete misses kill, shots go through walls, shots go around corners, and single burst kills.  This gun is out of control.  The SMG should be king at very short range, the Assault Rifle should be tough at short to medium, and the DMR should own long range.  But, why use any of them?  The Battle Rifle kills faster than all specialty weapons in those range brackets.

Some say that it takes more skill to use the Battle Rifle.  Let's break it down.  The weapon forces bursts, bursts are easier to control than an automatic weapon such as the SMG, Assault Rifle, or SAW.  The weapon makes it so one can rapidly hit the trigger without burning through an entire magazine.  The weapon has auto aim that is ungodly. 

Compared to the SMG, Assault Rifle, and even the SAW one must manually control the bursts to get accurate rounds on target.  From this we can establish that the Battle Rifle requires far less manual control.  Far less manual control paired with completely inconsistent bullet damage and auto aim that makes bullets turn in the air gives us the obvious conclusion: It is a broken gun.  It is completely out of place. 

What would removing the gun even do?

It would give the games some variety.  People would be using other weapons.  We would see the Assault Rifle, pistol, SMG, Carbine, Storm Rifle, DMR, etc. etc. far more.  The firefights would actually be random. 

This gun was implemented in Halo2 and it has been a curse ever since.  It thought it was bad in Halo 4, it is exponentially worse now.  As a player who wants to have variety in the game, this weapon is horrendously overpowered.  If all you want is to get easy kills, then i guess its for you.

Grenade Spam.  Wow, these things are mini nukes if I have ever seen one.  If your shield has even been nicked in the last 10 minutes you will die from a single grenade.  On top of that, everyone spawns with 2.  The entire battlefield would be craters if the ground could be destroyed.

Finally, no one talks.  Seriously, its annoying.  I remember way back when Halo 2 came out everyone talked, communicated, laughed, joked, raged, and now, nothing.  There is next to no teamwork at all. 

This has led to the trend most multiplayer games are taking.  There is no staying power.  One kill, one death.  You cant wade into a firefight and use skill to get more than 2 kills max before you are blown up or shot by a stray battle rifle shot.  There are times when you can get away with it, but it is in no way even comparable to the norm.  Same with all the call of duty games.  kill, die, respawn, sprint to the fight.  It's an annoying trend in most games.

The campaign is cool, definitely not long or big enough for the advertising campaign they gave us.  The Locke character is completely unnecessary.  He is a weak leader in all the fiction.  Master Chief should have been the focus and while in a way he was, 3 missions as Blue Team now that they are finally in a game is reallllllly disappointing.  I was expecting a campaign at least twice as long and battlefields the size of the battle (that should have been) in Halo: Reach before you go off on the side missions to destroy the spires.

Although it is very satisfying that wayyyyy back on the bungie forums all the fanbois were livid with me when I was telling them there were other Spartan IIs alive between Halo 2 and 3.  They hated me for saying that, and here we are, 3 others are in Chief's team. hahaha.  It is also satisfying seeing that Cortana is in the game.  No one believed me when I said that she would be back. 

Neat game, but definitely not a final product. 
« Last Edit: 03 November 2015, 15:41:25 by jackpot4 »
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
Re: Battle Rifle 5 (Halo 5)
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2015, 18:57:08 »
iv sniped someone with the Assault rifle..also killed someone at full health and shields with little over half a clip. They really changed some stuff and even admitted they changed the aiming from the Beta. Apparently if enough people complain they're going to "Fix" it. As is the came isn't for the casual gamer and has a steep learning curve....Also Micro Transactions.

It's fun, but not as fun as it should or could be, at least in my opinion. Won't hate on anyone who likes it,but i'm stickin to World of Tanks untill Fall out 4 is released.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2015, 19:45:42 »
I'm not picking it up until after the holidays (Fallout, I only have eyes for you my love), but I never did like the battle rifle in previous games. As soon as Reach gave us the DMR, I've never looked back- I always prefer semi-auto weapons like that in shooter games to burst or full-auto weapons. The FAL in Modern Warfare 2, the DMR in Halo... had one like that I loved in Destiny when I played that but can't think of its name (Multi-tool, I think it was called? Screw that game.), This Machine in Fallout: New Vegas, M1 Garands in WWII games... single-shot weapons are just the way to go for me. The battle rifle's three-round burst always annoyed me all the way back in Halo 1, and still does.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2015, 19:57:21 »
I'm not picking it up until after the holidays (Fallout, I only have eyes for you my love), but I never did like the battle rifle in previous games. As soon as Reach gave us the DMR, I've never looked back- I always prefer semi-auto weapons like that in shooter games to burst or full-auto weapons. The FAL in Modern Warfare 2, the DMR in Halo... had one like that I loved in Destiny when I played that but can't think of its name (Multi-tool, I think it was called? Screw that game.), This Machine in Fallout: New Vegas, M1 Garands in WWII games... single-shot weapons are just the way to go for me. The battle rifle's three-round burst always annoyed me all the way back in Halo 1, and still does.

Lucky you bro. I'm missing the Fallout release because of the new job.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2015, 20:36:55 »
Anyone else here play this game?  This is a review/critique of the game in a forum where the moderators dont ban you for saying things that arent praising the game (bungie/343 forums).

Small point - no problems with the critique of the game, but it's strongly preferred that people don't bring problems from other forums here. (It's in the Rules.)

Thanks in advance,

Worktroll, Administrator.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2015, 20:39:46 »
iv sniped someone with the Assault rifle..also killed someone at full health and shields with little over half a clip. They really changed some stuff and even admitted they changed the aiming from the Beta. Apparently if enough people complain they're going to "Fix" it. As is the came isn't for the casual gamer and has a steep learning curve....Also Micro Transactions.

It's fun, but not as fun as it should or could be, at least in my opinion. Won't hate on anyone who likes it,but i'm stickin to World of Tanks untill Fall out 4 is released.

In reality, if you get hit in the head with a bullet, especially a bullet from any modern rifle used in combat, it will kill you.  You will die on a battlefield from it.  Would it be incredibly hard to snipe with the assault rifle?  Yes.  But, if the bullet hit someone with no shield in the head, it should kill them, point blank or hundreds of yards away.  I have no idea why headshots from SAWs, Assault Rifles, and SMGs, dont kill when a bullet hits the head.  A 5.56/7.62 bullet is going to kill you if it hits you in the head on a battlefield. 

Yeah, with Tomb Raider, Fallout 4, and Battlefront coming out, Halo 5's lifespan will be very short unless the DLC coming is going to be groundbreaking. 

One other concept I don't know how was missed in production is randomness of Warzone.  Why is it the same exact AI on every single map in every single game, in the same exact location?  It should be completely random in every game.  One game grunts everywhere, one game a pair of hunters raids an armory, one game a Covenant platoon shows up to kill everyone, why is this not possible?  Same with the entry and exits.  Every time the Pelicans fly in it is the exact same sequence.  Why not have them under fire, maybe one crashes outside the core base and part of the team starts outside, etc. etc.?  What about when leaving, why are all the spartans always positioned the same way on the pelicans?  Why not have there be multiple layouts as they fly away, why not have them in defensive positions as the opposing team can be seen retreating? 

This game severely lacked creativity where there could have been an incredible amount.
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2015, 02:04:11 »
I see this as just one more thing that shows they have lost there way. What made Halo so great? At least to me it was that you and a buddy could play co-op and the game was good. PVP was at best an after thought, every Halo game after at least to me has been downgrading the co-op (if they had it) and the campaign for the PVP. Were it is all about them, no team work, no reason to relate to a real person.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2015, 03:57:36 »
I forget which Halo it was that allowed you to link up up to 4 Xboxes and or up 4 players per for 16 total... that one was the one that really missed the boat on what I was looking for IE 4player COOP play. single player is so so.  2player coop is much better, but I really wanted 4 player coop, or more player coop.  frankly the pvp is NOT my interest, because frankly I am not that good... I can hold my own vs the npc's IE computer AI but pvp gets old fast for me.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2015, 06:29:39 »
HALO 1 was two player coop.

HALO 2 I think got 4 player coop but i could be wrong.

HALO 3 (and ODST), HALO 4, and HALO Reach all allowed 4 player coop for the campaign, via split screen or system link.

There is nothing so fun as coop over system link as you are talking to your buddies in the same room and telling them what to do.

Awesome.

From what I am told, the Xbone does not support system link, making any coop go over xbox live now...which saddens me...
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2015, 11:05:24 »
One of the best days I've ever had gaming was when I moved with my now-ex into our apartment in Fairfax, VA in 2010. We put two flat-screen TVs back to back, with a couch and a couple of chairs on each side of the setup, and an Xbox 360 on each TV (a friend brought his over). A system-link was set up, the last time I've ever seen two consoles linked up, Halo 3 was put in both, and we talked people into bringing over every controller we could get our hands on.

Eight people, all playing Halo 3 in the same room, taunting and laughing back and forth... free for alls were fun, but the real fun came later when we did four-on-four with the teams on opposite sides of the room. I've never had more fun video gaming than I did that day. (Highlight was playing skullball in the Covenant warship map with rocket launchers- no one could hold that thing for more than about two seconds tops before being utterly obliterated. Game took forever to get through- at one point I thought Ben Rome was going to pass out from laughing!)

Services like Xbox Live are great in that I can game with people far away from me who I otherwise never would get to game with, but it's sad to not be able to enjoy having people in the room with you anymore.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2015, 11:14:58 »
PVP was at best an after thought, every Halo game after at least to me has been downgrading the co-op (if they had it) and the campaign for the PVP.

Hate to disagree, but the Halo series was built on the back of excellent PvP.  It brought competitive FPS PvP on consols to the mainstream.  Every game eroded the campaign because, let's face it, Bungie was never good at designing the campaigns.  Halo 4 reversed this trend and withered away quickly.  For a Halo title not to have a good PvP is shame.

I may get Halo 5 eventually.  I think I owe the series that much because it got me back into gaming in CE.  But, 343's handling of just about everything historically has irked me, so i'm no rush,
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2015, 20:58:20 »
In my opinion, Halo 4 had the best campaign of any of the Halo games.  Though Reach and ODST are neck and neck with it when it comes to enjoyment.

Halo 1 of course was the one that started it all and will always have a special place in my heart.  It was the first game in years I didn't get bored with and stopped playing before I hit the end.  And I will ALWAYS remember the first time my warthog got stopped a football field away from the Pelican.  With Covenant on one side, Plague on the other side, shooting at each other, and the only way to the Pelican being to go straight up the middle.  That was an "Oh Lord, for what I am about to receive my I be eternally grateful" moment.

Halo 2 and 3 were...eh.  Not as good as ODST and Reach.  And Halo 4...well...that one got me.  The feels at the end and watching the Master Chief and Cortana willing to give their lives to protect the other like that...neither one of them was fighting for humanity at the end.  The story got to me.

Halo 5...it was a cool idea.  I liked going in with fire teams on both sides.  Finally we got to see Spartans acting the way Spartans were supposed to.  As team members.  Yes, we got to see that a bit in Reach, but they were more "super henchmen" in Reach.  In Halo 5 they were TEAMMATES and they nailed that mechanic real good.  Mechanically and enginewise, Halo 5 really is the best Halo game yet in a lot of ways.  This from someone who still gets friends together on a weekly basis to play Reach on system link.  But the story of Halo 5 was...it felt way too short.  The final mission with Locke felt too much like "I've done this with Master Chief already."  And "are you guys really trying to make me think that Locke is as good as the Master Chief?  Sorry.  We're not going there.  I've played the parts of Master Chief's story where he is on the other side of the galaxy, alone, and still takes all comers.  Locke?  No comparison."  Honestly, I think that Buck would have been a better choice for team leader.

The real failure of the Halo 5 story though for me was that it seemed to build it up way high with lots of possibility for conflict, and then...just...brought them all together at the end.  And it wasn't an end.  It was a "so what are we going to next" ending.  I like to START games with "We've got the band back together" moments, not END the game with one.  Halo 5 is the first Halo game that does not have a self contained story.  It will depend either on DLC or Halo 6 to tell the whole story.  And THAT is a serious failure in my book.

BTW.  I have not played multiplayer yet because I have let my xbox live membership lapse and with Xbone not supporting system link I can't link up multiple xbones to play with friends.  So...no multiplayer for me yet...and who knows when I will do it.  So if the idea of Halo 5 is for the campaign to be a "this is how you play, now go forth and play the real game online" training thing it is a failure for me.

Edit.  Don't get me wrong.  I loved playing Halo 5.  It was lots of fun.  I tore through the game in two days because I just couldn't stop playing.  They did a good job of going back and forth and keeping the pressure and interest going all the way through.  I just felt the "resolution" was too...easy...to quick...and well...not a resolution at all.  Basically, they carried the football to the 10 yard line and spiked it, thinking they had a touchdown.  They almost did too...but they just let go a little early....
« Last Edit: 04 November 2015, 21:03:06 by Medron Pryde »
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2015, 00:31:14 »
Wanted to play some Halo 5 at a gaming bar with some buds. I have two friends that used to be competitive Halo 2 players way back in the day, so the Halo games have always been the FPS of choice whenever we decide to game. It'd been a while, so we decided to give it a go.

Yeah, that didn't happen. The game has no co-op or split screen options. Talk about a questionable business move. And according to the store owner, X-Box Ones can't even system link, so any sort of multiplayer was out of the window (the bar doesn't buy xbox live accounts, understandably so).

Conclusion: I can't even say if it's good or bad because they removed some core parts of what made Halo what it is. Or rather, what I thought made Halo what it is. Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2015, 00:33:59 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2015, 01:47:01 »
Conclusion: I can't even say if it's good or bad because they removed some core parts of what made Halo what it is. Or rather, what I thought made Halo what it is. Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that.

This is it for me in a nutshell. I still play a bunch of Xbox, and 360 games on split screen. I have never had a Xbox live account and do not plan to ever get one. I am not getting a Xbox one because of this very reason. If I get a new system I may go playstation whatever number they are on, but really do not want to have to learn a new controller.