Author Topic: New Blog from Randall 9-13-11  (Read 17117 times)

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
New Blog from Randall 9-13-11
« on: 13 September 2011, 15:47:16 »
Randall looks at the outline for Interstellar Operations here.

If you have some comments about the Outline, please let Randall know in this thread.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2011, 15:49:00 by Chunga »
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: New Blog from Randall 9-13-11
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2011, 17:50:07 »
Interesting stuff! I'm looking forward to seeing how the campaigning is going to work with large forces.

I hope the full LAM rules got in there, i didn't see a logical section for them to be in.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2011, 17:55:14 »
TBH I'm a bit nervous. This is some pretty important stuff from a universe perspective and if it gets screwed up...

The other books were all retreading and smoothing out old ground to some extent but I would be very surprised if this one reused a lot of material in, say, the economic/infrastructure section given how atrocious some of the old stuff is.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2011, 17:57:37 »
I hope the full LAM rules got in there, i didn't see a logical section for them to be in.

Perhaps Alterante Eras (sic)?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2011, 19:07:21 »
Perhaps Alterante Eras (sic)?

I would think so. They've been touted as one of a few "era-specific" rule sets, so it makes sense to put them there.

Grave

• Lieutenant
  • All Your Salvage Are Belong To Us
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2011, 20:55:15 »
That thing is going to be a bloody phonebook, lol.

Yea, it really is that fast....

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2011, 22:53:15 »
Does Catalyst have a stylesheet entry for use of alternate vs. alternative?  Because the universe at large appears not to. :-\
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Hawktel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2011, 22:58:41 »
I had some idea in my head it was further along than that. I don't know why.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2011, 23:24:58 »
I've been waiting for Interstellar Operations to come out for about 3 years now, but I'm willing to wait as long as the final product is just as good as the prior core books have been.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2011, 23:34:29 »
Why are Maintainence, Salvage, and Customization rules in IO when they are already in SO?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2011, 08:42:00 »
Alternate eras?  does that mean there will be a complete section in I/O to guide players on what would be feasable timeline changes to the Btech Universe?
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2011, 09:22:44 »
Alternate eras?  does that mean there will be a complete section in I/O to guide players on what would be feasable timeline changes to the Btech Universe?

Alternate Eras meaning Eras usually meaning products that are set in a different era than the current focus. So since we're in the Jihad/Republic transition, anything that's not set in this era, would be an alternate era (like Op:KLONDIKE, or Reunification Wars, for instance).

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2011, 12:25:31 »
They've mentioned that IO (And specifically Alternate Eras) is going to be the book that showcases 'extinct' technology. So this is where stuff like LAMs, the Manei Domini, and Prototype weapon rules would go. Maybe a list of when weapons went from Experimental to Advanced/Standard. I think this will also be where they'll add stuff that showed up post StratOps in terms of new tech, like QuadVees and Collosal class mechs.

Talz

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 14 September 2011, 15:34:27 »
Looking forward to seeing more.

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 14 September 2011, 16:09:56 »
 What the heck is a Quad Vee? Don't need rules, just...waht is it?

Would like to see some rules for stuff that's part of the universe but isn't covered, plus some options for going a bit outside. (eg jumpcollar capable space stations, Monitors.)

The strategic game is also something I'm very interested in.
Let Miley lick the hammers!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2011, 17:03:09 »
What the heck is a Quad Vee? Don't need rules, just...waht is it?
Quad Vee was (if i remember right) a Clan unit mentioned in WizKid's MechWarrior: Technology of Destruction which was suppose to be hybrid of vehicle and protoMech.   I don't think that would make into SO since were not that far into the Dark Age right now.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2011, 17:04:27 »
Why are Maintainence, Salvage, and Customization rules in IO when they are already in SO?

That's one I still don't quite understand.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2011, 17:22:52 »
That's one I still don't quite understand.

Because they would be at a company, battalion, or regimental scale, not individual or lance.  Using the SO rules in planetary assault would, well, make that aspect of the game overly complex at that scale.  I'm sure if you wanted to use SO rules you could, but you better have a HUGE amount of free time on your hands ;)
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2011, 17:32:49 »
I just hope the Ares Conventions section speaks of neutral shipping and hospital ships.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2011, 18:15:52 »
Quad Vee was (if i remember right) a Clan unit mentioned in WizKid's MechWarrior: Technology of Destruction which was suppose to be hybrid of vehicle and protoMech.

quad 'Mech + vehicle, not ProtoMech + vehicle

Quote from: ToD, p63
The newest entry, believed to still be in the experimental stage, is being developed by Clan Hell’s Horses. Called a QuadVee, it takes the concept of a four-legged ’Mech and fuses it with a vehicle, creating a multi-legged tank. Only time will tell whether this unit finds its place, or disappears into the annals of history along with the jumping vehicle.

Talz

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 14 September 2011, 20:54:30 »
IMO QuadVee is a goofy name and in several ways a goofy concept.  Having said that I've always thought that Quads would make a LOT more sense as something closer to a real four legged walking tank, turret and all, so I'm interested to see what comes of this and hoping that any such rules include a better name for the unit type.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2011, 11:47:58 »
IMO QuadVee is a goofy name and in several ways a goofy concept.  Having said that I've always thought that Quads would make a LOT more sense as something closer to a real four legged walking tank, turret and all, so I'm interested to see what comes of this and hoping that any such rules include a better name for the unit type.
Least its material to Experimental 'Mech like the fanmade Huntress, except with four legs.

Expanding construction rules for alternate eras will be interesting, but tricky i would think.  Some things will come up and some will go away again.  I remember struggling Mercenaries in Wolf Hunters novel having to pull high grade equipment from their 'Mech for Succession War era parts to keep cost low.  That something would be useful in IO's scheme of eras to play big nations or factions.

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 15 September 2011, 16:11:52 »
quad 'Mech + vehicle, not ProtoMech + vehicle

The newest entry, believed to still be in the experimental stage, is being developed by Clan Hell’s Horses. Called a QuadVee, it takes the concept of a four-legged ’Mech and fuses it with a vehicle, creating a multi-legged tank. Only time will tell whether this unit finds its place, or disappears into the annals of history along with the jumping vehicle.

Oh god, a rollerblading quadmech. FAIL.

What possible advantage could this bring? Maybe no piloting rolls when it's in "vee" mode? Would obviously take some tonnage and crit spaces. I don't see any maneuverability advantages (mech=tank in speed for engine size) Would let it walk where a mech can go but a tank can't. Presumably mech armor limitations.

It's essentially a boring jump the shark tank bit of technology. It seems like something new just to be new rather than something that makes a lot of sense.  They might be somewhat effective, but it just doesn't seem like it's filling a niche rather than probably being poor at covering two niches that are already filled.

There are already rules for putting turrets on quads, (and THAT is a useful bit of tech)
« Last Edit: 15 September 2011, 16:13:46 by verybad »

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #23 on: 15 September 2011, 16:59:18 »
That seems an awfully strong and harsh opinion for something we haven't even seen yet. Or even gotten a decent description of.

And how do you get from "multi-legged tank" to "rollerblading quadmech", anyway?

Plus, it's "believed to still be in the experimental stage", meaning it's untried and possibly dead-end tech. Wouldn't be the first time (in BattleTech or the real world) someone came up with an idea that "doesn't seem like it's filling a niche rather than probably being poor at covering two niches that are already filled."

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #24 on: 15 September 2011, 17:21:28 »
I can accept quad mechs that fold their legs in and run on treads/wheels on the bottom of their main hull before I could accept Air'Mechs protomechs with a WIGE movement mode, and we have those ;)
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #25 on: 15 September 2011, 17:54:54 »
hey, i'll take rollerblading quads if that means i can make a Kenbishi industries think tank :)

Kendo

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 15 September 2011, 18:25:57 »
I've been wondering about self policing of military units recently as I ponder rules for large forces over multiple systems. I believe Wolf's Dragoons had an internal police force, but I can't recall any other units that had such a force. At what point do you think a military force would need to integrate rules for internal policing options as part of campaign play, and how would it be handled? Are there rules for merc self policing beyond the rules for desertion that I seem to recall?

Edit: Moved to own thread for fear of thread derailment. My bad.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2011, 19:56:36 by Kendo »

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #27 on: 15 September 2011, 18:41:50 »
I've been wondering about self policing of military units recently as I ponder rules for large forces over multiple systems. I believe Wolf's Dragoons had an internal police force, but I can't recall any other units that had such a force. At what point do you think a military force would need to integrate rules for internal policing options as part of campaign play, and how would it be handled? Are there rules for merc self policing beyond the rules for desertion that I seem to recall?

This would be an excellent subject for a thread.  ;)
I won't reply here so as to not threadjack this one.  8)

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2011, 20:12:55 »
I can accept quad mechs that fold their legs in and run on treads/wheels on the bottom of their main hull *snip*

Just wanted to say that this is what I pictured when I heard QuadVee.

Bizarre concept, sure, but it might give you a little more speed in a city, and it would reduce your target profile. Imagine going hull down with a quad 'Mech and still being able to move... that would actually be kinda cool.

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 16 September 2011, 03:13:30 »
That seems an awfully strong and harsh opinion for something we haven't even seen yet. Or even gotten a decent description of.

And how do you get from "multi-legged tank" to "rollerblading quadmech", anyway?

Plus, it's "believed to still be in the experimental stage", meaning it's untried and possibly dead-end tech. Wouldn't be the first time (in BattleTech or the real world) someone came up with an idea that "doesn't seem like it's filling a niche rather than probably being poor at covering two niches that are already filled."

Sorry, but I'm not going to pretend to be impressed or excited with something that's simply a bad idea. I don't see much advantage from combining a quad mech with treads on it's feet.

How do you NOT get from multilegged tank to rollerblading quadmech? It's an obvious comparison. If they're legs, then they bend at the knees and the feet aren't always on the ground. If it's also a tank, then it's got treads. It's rollerblading. Might be bigger, but it's essentially the same thing.

I presume it can actually only perform one movement type at a time (ie be a tank or a mech per turn) It can't gain much from either (a tank is more stable, a mech is more durable) and will obviously have to sacrifice something in order to have two movement systems.

ie Can't do the job of either unit type as well. It's born to be mediocre.

At least LAMs give a decent ability that's much different from either base unit, Mechs and tanks aren't different enough to make this a useful compromise, you get a bad mech and a bad tank *yeah*

I've been wrong many times, and I'm only stating my own opinion re this. With good enough art I would probably even eat my own words. Currently, it just sounds flat out stupid.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2011, 03:20:03 by verybad »

Register