Author Topic: Website ideas and suggestions  (Read 156313 times)

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
Re: Website ideas and suggestions
« Reply #150 on: 31 October 2011, 10:25:29 »
Skilato, I appreciated it to "Tech" over the weekend because there wasn't room for more initially; why "Commmunity Play" became "Community". Trying to shave every last character out of the menu bar since we shrunk the site down based on numerous suggestions. The over-all width of the menu has finally been shrunk enough it can be bumped back up to "BattleTech."

As for your suggestions on the QSR, it was not my intention to tell someone that you 'must' play the QSR before the box...however after reviewing the text I can see how that impression comes across. I'll soften that.

However, I still feel that the New To BattleTech? is the appropriate approach. If someone comes to BT.com and is showing interest in BT, you want to hand them an instant fix, not a fix that could take days to show up if they order the box set. Giving them that easy, instant fix of a glimpse of rules and universe hopefully sets the hook deeper and then allows them the time to either order the box set directly or find a local retailer, without potentially losing that drive.

But again, as I said, the Getting Started page does need to be softened so it doesn't imply you have to play the QSR...only that it's there and you can.

Thanks for all the solid suggestions.

Randall

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #151 on: 31 October 2011, 10:35:18 »
...However, I still feel that the New To BattleTech? is the appropriate approach. If someone comes to BT.com and is showing interest in BT, you want to hand them an instant fix, not a fix that could take days to show up if they order the box set. Giving them that easy, instant fix of a glimpse of rules and universe hopefully sets the hook deeper and then allows them the time to either order the box set directly or find a local retailer, without potentially losing that drive....

Another huge advantage the QSR download has is that it lets you try the game for free.  All you need is something to use as markers and a pair of six-sided die and you are good to go.  This is especially appealing to younger audiences who do not have the money on hand to just try things so the ability to try the game out at no risk makes it much easier to get started.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Schottenjaeger

• Sergeant
« Reply #152 on: 31 October 2011, 13:10:22 »
However, I still feel that the New To BattleTech? is the appropriate approach. If someone comes to BT.com and is showing interest in BT, you want to hand them an instant fix, not a fix that could take days to show up if they order the box set. Giving them that easy, instant fix of a glimpse of rules and universe hopefully sets the hook deeper and then allows them the time to either order the box set directly or find a local retailer, without potentially losing that drive.
Randall

How about "New Players", "New Visitors", or "First Visit?".  Even shorter, keeps the same punch, and makes it clear to, say, some kid's gift-buying mom (or wife :P) what the site's about and where to start..
Standing proudly on other pilot's cockpits since 1997

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #153 on: 31 October 2011, 13:35:03 »
Gotta say, the new site keeps looking better and better. And the Gallery is awesome.  [notworthy]  [notworthy]
Can't wait to put the ER on my desktop! Thanks!

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #154 on: 31 October 2011, 16:07:05 »
I was going to comment elsewhere on the new portal, but it seems to be loading incorrectly from my Chrome browser.  Maybe 1 of 3 reloads will display the page correctly.

To wit:

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #155 on: 31 October 2011, 16:33:55 »
I suggest to add a link from the Boardgame site to the main portal site.

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #156 on: 31 October 2011, 16:44:55 »
To add to Bedwyr's post, it looks like the "Home", "News", "Downloads", "Eras", etc. links sends you to a Go Daddy page.

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #157 on: 31 October 2011, 16:47:54 »
To add to Bedwyr's post, it looks like the "Home", "News", "Downloads", "Eras", etc. links sends you to a Go Daddy page.

They were all working fine for about an hour...we think it's some DNS switch-over mess-up that occurred...we're looking into it.

Randall

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #158 on: 31 October 2011, 18:06:23 »

It's all fixed now.

Randall

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #159 on: 31 October 2011, 18:07:38 »
I suggest to add a link from the Boardgame site to the main portal site.

There's a subtle link in the third paragraph of the "About Text" on the front page...now that the site is launched, however, we'll add a more aggressive link, along with MWOnline, to the links page.

Thanks!

Randall

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #160 on: 31 October 2011, 18:14:47 »
I really like the slideshow on the portal.  Is the text raster or actual text?  That would be pretty cool at the top of the bg main page.

Also on the bg site, the "Getting Started" page incorrectly highlights "Books" instead of "new to Battletech?".

And the links page on the bg site needs a good sized link to the Mechwarrior site.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2011, 20:41:11 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #161 on: 01 November 2011, 02:19:26 »
Stop renaming products on DriveThruRPG, it will force people to rebuy if they want to get updates, since the renamed product count as a different one.  [tickedoff]

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #162 on: 01 November 2011, 04:17:51 »
Oh, another low-priority suggestion: please add a list of included 'Mechs to the Boxed Set's product page? People ask about those all the time.

Skilato, I appreciated it to "Tech" over the weekend because there wasn't room for more initially; why "Commmunity Play" became "Community". Trying to shave every last character out of the menu bar since we shrunk the site down based on numerous suggestions. The over-all width of the menu has finally been shrunk enough it can be bumped back up to "BattleTech."

I had thought it got shortened (or perhaps reshortened) well after sufficient room had been freed up, but perhaps I misremember.

My point is, you don't know which "instant fix" they need. What if you've got somebody with zero interest buying gifts for someone else, like Schottenjaeger suggests? Or somebody comes to the site not knowing what to be interested in? You can still guide them to the easy hook while also pointing them at the Boxed Set and the rest of the product line. Another benefit to separating Quick Start out is that, when somebody is looking for that instant fix, it's right there staring at them from the menu.

I could see this coming down to a difference of philosophy; and, at the moment, I think a bigger issue is that the pull-down menu for whichever category you're in is darkened too much.

As for your suggestions on the QSR, it was not my intention to tell someone that you 'must' play the QSR before the box...however after reviewing the text I can see how that impression comes across. I'll soften that.
<snip>
But again, as I said, the Getting Started page does need to be softened so it doesn't imply you have to play the QSR...only that it's there and you can.

You may also want to soften the wording on the "New to BattleTech?" page and the "Books" page.

Thanks for all the solid suggestions.

Sure thing. I had just finished a similar review of a friend's project, and my brain was refusing to change gears.  #P
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #163 on: 01 November 2011, 11:48:32 »
Okay, here's the current version of the New to BattleTech? page. I believe it's got almost every suggested tweak I've seen.

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

Now to the Core Rulebook page to see about adding in a list of links at the time and adding in previews.

Randall

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #164 on: 01 November 2011, 14:17:34 »
I just got back online after a little computer glitch, so sorry if I am late to the party on this topic.....

Wow....Battletech: The Board Game.

Whenever I go to game stores and get asked what I play, I always get the impression that Battletech is looked down upon as kind of a kids game or "intro to wargames" kinda thing. Now with this new name, it kind of cements that opinion.....as if Battletech were something like Monopoly with big robots.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #165 on: 01 November 2011, 15:41:54 »
Okay, here's the current version of the New to BattleTech? page. I believe it's got almost every suggested tweak I've seen.

Now to the Core Rulebook page to see about adding in a list of links at the time and adding in previews.

Randall

I might be wrong, but weren't the Record Sheets from the intro box available on the old site?
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #166 on: 01 November 2011, 16:53:58 »

Yup, that intro paragraph works for me. Hits on the same points I mentioned and avoids jargon overload.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Spector

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Sunlight is vastly overrated!
« Reply #167 on: 01 November 2011, 16:55:50 »
The "Battletech: The Board Game" really needs to go. Honestly its insulting to the game and misleading since the "board" isn't necessary to the games.
*Insert clever saying/quote here*

Agent #333

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #168 on: 01 November 2011, 21:57:05 »
The "Battletech: The Board Game" really needs to go. Honestly its insulting to the game and misleading since the "board" isn't necessary to the games.

Aff...it also excludes the RPG(but, then again, the RPG has always been even more of a red-headed step child then Aerotech),
and excludes those people using terrain, even if they are making their own 3d Terrain Hex maps.

I find it interesting that the one, overwhelming criticism of the site is the one getting the least comment on by TPTB. All the other tweaks
are, actually, relatively minor compared to The Name Problem.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #169 on: 02 November 2011, 00:54:28 »
Okay, here's the next iteration of one of the product pages.

Got a nice quick links at the top, while I've also added a dozen page PDF preview for every product:

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=481

Thanks for the continuing feedback!

Randall

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #170 on: 02 November 2011, 02:12:27 »
The Starterbooks page  doesn't list Starter: Fist & Falcon.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

jazzjr

• Private
« Reply #171 on: 02 November 2011, 02:41:18 »
Just curious about the ATOW GM screen as it's no longer listed under new releases or Coming soon?

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #172 on: 02 November 2011, 04:45:27 »
Puts on my "Simon Cowell of web design" hat... If you've ever read my analysis of peoples websites on SitePoint or Digital Point, you'll know what that means... and wow, I've not done this to a BT site since BattleCorps was launched -- and that was sent internally -- Should be fun.

1) the white text on orange is below accessibility norms making the menu hard to read. Likewise the "The board game" text -- on top of being silly as already noted, has legibility issues; I had to have someone else read it to me!

2) the use of absurdly undersized fixed metric fonts on the menu and presence of more menu elements than fit a normal horizontal menu render it useless to large font/120dpi users.

3) The crappy fixed width that isn't even 1024 friendly pretty much flushes my visiting the main part of the website from my netbook... or my tablet... or even from my normal desktop browser since while I'm on a 1920 wide display, I happen to run the browser at half width so I have room for other stuff on screen. (like IM's)

4) lose the massive images for nothing.

5) even out the paddings, for the most part everything kinda looks just slapped in there any old way.

6) the broken/nonexistant heading orders (everything's a H3?!?) makes it difficult to key/voice navigate.

7) Shouldn't the Topps logo link to Topps website and not the massive version of the logo? Of course that it's all alpha transparency .pngs shows that whoever was doing the images hasn't quite grasped what "Internet" means... or is actually gullible enough to believe that Photoshop's "save for web" actually has a clue what it's doing -- * NEWS FLASH * -- it doesn't. Blue blazes, the pathetically crippled "The GIMP" does a better job...

8 ) the presence of HTML 5 some decade before anyone has any business using it to build a website pretty well shtups most of the IE6 users; who contacted me en-masse saying "please tell me you had nothing to do with this" -- that was fun... and NO, a javascript "shiv" is NOT THE ANSWER. It's called DRAFT for a reason -- which is why it's better to stay with "RECOMMENDATION" instead... the latest real world deployable W3C Recommendations being HTML 4.01 STRICT or XHTML 1.0 STRICT. NOT that HTML 5 offers anything useful to web developers other than some 'gee ain't it neat' bullshit and bloated allegedly semantic tags to be abused; It's carefully crafted for the people who the past decade were vomiting up HTML 3.2 putting a 4 transitional doctype on it and calling themselves 'modern' -- nothing like being in transition from 1997 to 1998. So now instead of slapping a tranny on it, the sleazeball shortcut crap out sites any old way folks can give it 5 lip-service.... HTML 5, setting website development practices back a decade. (at least if you talk the parts of it that have anything to do with markup... which is probably why they slapped the gee ain't it neat new scripting and CSS3 under it's banner, without which it offers NOTHING).

9) The home page is 791k in 41 files... that is almost five times the upper limit I would allow for a single page on a website!

The file count ALONE is outright scary, but entirely typical of your off the shelf Wordpress rubbish.

Hell, you can tell it's ineptly coded by using some simple logic -- there's only 3k of plaintext on the page with seven actual CONTENT images... so 40k of markup? In other words four times as much code as should be neccessary... That it blows an unbelievable 98k on CSS and STILL has an ungodly 16k of static CSS inlined in the HTML shows that whoever built that skin needs to do the world a favor, back the **** away from the keyboard, and take up something a bit less dangerous like bocce or horseshoes.

Though again that's just turdpress taking a dump on any site it's involved in. When hardcoded outside the skinning system it shoves markup like this down your throat:

Code: [Select]
<li id="menu-item-550" class="menu-item menu-item-type-post_type menu-item-object-page current-menu-item page_item page-item-17 current_page_item menu-item-550"><a href="http://bg.battletech.com/" >Home</a></li>
It's the LAST thing that should EVER be used to build a website; I don't care how 'easy it is' to use on the back end, or that people who know nothing about making websites can use it -- it basically flushes anything built with it. (which is why to even build a halfway decent site with it you have to neuter 2/3rds of it's code base, shtupping your upgrade path... shades of phpBB2)... Wordpress, for and by people who know nothing about websites... THINK ABOUT THAT.

There's a reason Wordpress is for crappy little personal blogs and not for websites of real companies... well, on top of it being the 2008 pwnie winner for M4ss 0wnage since it has security holes big enough to cruise a McKenna class warship through and knee deep in idiotic bloated sleazy shortcuts like jQuery. As Dan used to say, the only thing you can learn from jQuery is how not to write JavaScript. (and the only thing you can learn from Dreamweaver is how not to build websites)... and Christmas on a cracker, it's not even using the minified version of jQuery?!? Bad enough having the idiotic bloated library with hordes of fat slow off the shelf scripting, but then to not even use the minified 'for deployment' versions of said scripts?!?

NOT that Wordpress can be blamed for the images -- I already helped out a bit by getting you some better optimized versions, but much of the imagery reeks of the "but I can do it in photoshop" idiocy. Lands sakes, 90% of the content area is just flat gray -- you have seven thumbnails ... what the devil is it doing with 473k of images in 19 files?!? Much less that STUPID 'new' logo which doesn't seemed designed for print (give how crappy it looks on all the products just slapped in there any old way) or web (since it doesn't fit common dimensions and is non-orthagonal) certainly doesn't help... but I've been complaining about that since FanPro introduced it, which is why you'll notice I never actually used it on the website and instead took the border thing off of it and/or ajusted it to fit/grow/tile.

Of course, that the server STILL isn't sending any of the files mod_deflate/gzipped -- something that should have been set up before websites were even installed on it... well, that just takes an already massive and slow website and drags it's performance into the deepest circle of hell. First-load here takes >40 seconds and subsequent pages take >10 seconds -- that's RIDICULOUS since I'm on a 22mbps connection. That's something that should take about fifteen seconds to enable from the shell assuming Apache has been built properly, 2 minutes if it has library compatibility enabled, 20 minutes if you have to rebuild it. NONE of which even involves any downtime!

I'd love to see a "<?php phpInfo(); ?>" output from said server -- given the abysmal performance of the forums and website and lack of compressed output, I bet it doesn't even have a PHP caching accelerator installed. As it is it's been a real laugh the 501 errors ever 8 hours or so... and even better the 502 "bad gateway" errors which likely means the server is misconfigured, some stupid caching tool like "Varnish" is in there screwing things up, or something upstream of it in the data center is barfing out. (Being it's on Rackspace, I'd not be surprised -- they may be rated tier 2 but their service is tier 999,999... oh, it's still up so it counts as uptime...RIGHT)

Whoever you've had doing this (who apparently won't come out in public to play) should hang their head in shame at their ineptitude. I've not seen anything this bad since the steaming pile we know as BattleCorps...

Which was always a laugh that a project who's entire revenue stream is web based couldn't be bothered to pick up a decent web developer... Not really surprising none of the other Catalyst sites even show up on Google properly and even with a proper 301 the search mojo for "battletech" is going through the floor.

Of course, that this was a last minute no planning snap decision is where most of the real problems lay -- maybe if instead of letting me continue to pluck away on my new codebase for a month for no good reason, you had said "We're going to go ahead with something else, could you help"... But NO....

Ah well, NMFP anymore. You want to revert back to worse than when Warner was hand editing a site using HotMetal, knock yourselves out.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2011, 04:52:10 by deathshadow »
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #173 on: 02 November 2011, 05:45:05 »
Puts on my "Simon Cowell of web design" hat... If you've ever read my analysis of peoples websites on SitePoint or Digital Point, you'll know what that means... and wow, I've not done this to a BT site since BattleCorps was launched -- and that was sent internally -- Should be fun.

Lots of stuff cut for brevity

Wow. It got bitter in here all of the sudden. ;)

On another note, Randall if you could please remove the "click here" links from the pages and replace them with contextual links, that would be awesome. Click here doesn't tell me anything when I visit the page and see three, four, or five of them.

For example on the TRO page you have (boldface == link text):
Pre-filled record sheets for the various units found in the technical readouts are published separately; go here for record sheets.

I'd just re-write it so it reads:
Pre-filled record sheets for the various units found in the technical readouts are published separately.

Here are some short articles explaining why:

Thanks!

mbear
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #174 on: 02 November 2011, 08:09:40 »
Jason: Thanks for taking the time to post your review of the site. As with all the feedback from the community, we continue to look at ways to implement suggestions, as appropriate.

Mbear: Thanks for that solid suggestion...already started making some of those changes. If you spot some in the future that have not yet been changed, feel free to let me know.

Randall

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #175 on: 02 November 2011, 08:22:35 »
Aff...it also excludes the RPG(but, then again, the RPG has always been even more of a red-headed step child then Aerotech),
and excludes those people using terrain, even if they are making their own 3d Terrain Hex maps.

I find it interesting that the one, overwhelming criticism of the site is the one getting the least comment on by TPTB. All the other tweaks
are, actually, relatively minor compared to The Name Problem.
It did get a comment, the first day.  Paul said something along the line of "yeah, we get it, any other comments".
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,12014.msg285831.html#msg285831

I suspect they haven't found a solution to what they yet.  They obviously had a reason they wanted "the board game" on there, and are likely trying to figure out how to resolve that.  Not all problems are easily fixed. 

and on general website suggestions, the preview post option didn't work for me.  I clicked preview and it said "fetching preview" and after a minute or two I gave up and clicked save.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2011, 08:25:29 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #176 on: 02 November 2011, 08:36:31 »
It did get a comment, the first day.  Paul said something along the line of "yeah, we get it, any other comments".
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,12014.msg285831.html#msg285831

I suspect they haven't found a solution to what they yet.  They obviously had a reason they wanted "the board game" on there, and are likely trying to figure out how to resolve that.  Not all problems are easily fixed. 

and on general website suggestions, the preview post option didn't work for me.  I clicked preview and it said "fetching preview" and after a minute or two I gave up and clicked save.

I'm in the process right now of general a BattleBlog discussing why we chose the "board game" name.

As for the "preview post", can you clarify what you mean there? i.e. what exactly did you click on? Want to make sure it's working, but I wasn't exactly sure what you were referring to.

Thanks.

Randall

Phoenix

• Private
« Reply #177 on: 02 November 2011, 09:20:16 »
Quote from: DarkISI on 28 October 2011, 21:31:37
Both Final Reckoning, the 1600*1200 WoR and the 1680*1050 TRO:P are still wrong. The others are fixed

Fixed.

Thanks.

Randall

The TRO:P 1680x1050 wallpaper is still pointed to Battlecorps.

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #178 on: 02 November 2011, 09:23:26 »
The TRO:P 1680x1050 wallpaper is still pointed to Battlecorps.

Fixed.

Thanks!

Randall

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #179 on: 02 November 2011, 09:24:31 »
I'm in the process right now of general a BattleBlog discussing why we chose the "board game" name.

As for the "preview post", can you clarify what you mean there? i.e. what exactly did you click on? Want to make sure it's working, but I wasn't exactly sure what you were referring to.

Thanks.

Randall

On the forum, when I'm making a post, there is a preview option so you can see what the result will look like (links and images in particular) before you post. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register