Author Topic: 2nd MAC Vindy  (Read 2571 times)

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
  • Mini by Psycho @ camospecs.com - Thanks Joel!
2nd MAC Vindy
« on: 30 November 2011, 23:26:51 »
Hey everyone, so I'm getting a new Vindicator soon, and I would like to do him up to represent the 2nd MAC.

What do people recommend for getting the best metallic blue finish?

I was thinking of using wackrabbit's technique for House Hiritsu's scheme:

http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=5270

I actually used this very technique to produce some Jade Falcon omnis all decked out to overawe the sphereoids in 3050, and they look fantastic.

I've never used it with blue, though. Do people think the GW asurmen blue wash would work good over GW boltgun metal (both of which I have)?

???

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
Re: 2nd MAC Vindy
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2011, 10:08:13 »
What I like to use for mettalic colors, is to use Vallejo mettalic medium and mix in a color (pick whichever color you are trying to achieve). You will have to experiment with the mix to achieve the mettalic color you want . I feel it gives very good results. Wack's method is also a good way to achieve a mettalic color. Good luck.  O0
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

SDR-5V

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2011, 10:42:46 »
I can also recommend the metallic medium,  painted a Thunder in metallic blue using this stuff and got a good result.

The mech can be seen here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,11276.0.html

SDR-5V

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2011, 13:04:35 »
What is a good starting point for mixing in metallic medium? 4:1 (paint:medium)? 1:1?

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2011, 14:24:48 »
I've never used metallic medium before . . . maybe something to look into.

I like wackrabbit's method because it produces what can be called a 'candy apple' finish (three-dimensional metallic colour with 'depth'). When I did the Falcon 'mechs I finished them with GW gloss and simply left it that way: very I AM JADE FALCON!!   ;D

I'm not sure if I'll gloss the vindy or not - I wonder if the MAC is that 'in your face'. Then again, I'm not sure how wackrabbit's finish will work with a matte sealer . . .

SDR-5V

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2011, 07:48:27 »
What is a good starting point for mixing in metallic medium? 4:1 (paint:medium)? 1:1?

I think I used something like a 2:1 ratio and then thinned the mixture with water and glaze medium.
But I guess you just have to try it out for yourself, it totally depends on the paint you use and what result you want to have.
The original colour will (of course) lighten up more when you add more metallic particles.

I've never used metallic medium before . . . maybe something to look into.

I like wackrabbit's method because it produces what can be called a 'candy apple' finish (three-dimensional metallic colour with 'depth'). When I did the Falcon 'mechs I finished them with GW gloss and simply left it that way: very I AM JADE FALCON!!   ;D

I'm not sure if I'll gloss the vindy or not - I wonder if the MAC is that 'in your face'. Then again, I'm not sure how wackrabbit's finish will work with a matte sealer . . .

Wackrabbit's mech sure looks pretty,  I guess the method would also work with a blue wash.
If you give it a try, please post some picture of the result!

SDR-5V

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2011, 14:24:41 »
I think I used something like a 2:1 ratio and then thinned the mixture with water and glaze medium.
But I guess you just have to try it out for yourself, it totally depends on the paint you use and what result you want to have.
The original colour will (of course) lighten up more when you add more metallic particles.

Wackrabbit's mech sure looks pretty,  I guess the method would also work with a blue wash.
If you give it a try, please post some picture of the result!

SDR-5V

I will!!

That said, I really do like your Thunder. Maybe your technique is more appropriate to gritty Capellan mercenaries.

Again, wackrabbit's technique produces a (overly?) beautiful 'candy apple' effect when it is gloss-coated. Cool for genetically-enhanced supermen on a mission to redeem barbarians, but maybe too much for the hireling fire brigade of the weakest successor state . . .

Register