Author Topic: HISTORICON 2012.  (Read 12389 times)

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
HISTORICON 2012.
« on: 06 December 2011, 13:20:35 »
EXCUSE ME WHILST I SQUEAL LIKE A 'TWEENER AT A BEIBER CONCERT.....

....SQUWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

HISTORICON 2012 IS COMING TO FREDERICKSBURG, VA O0 O0 O0

http://www.historicon.org/index.asp

H/T to Steve Ronin ( http://www.battletechuniverse.org/hpguplink/viewtopic.php?p=170474#170474 )

I'll be registering TODAY!
Both SPECK and METALCARNAGE had better be onsite.
Heck, for that matter, according to the player locater on the CGL site, there's over 125 players within 100 miles of Fredericksburg.

So save your money until JULY and show the hecketh up!  :D :))
« Last Edit: 06 December 2011, 13:28:10 by Grognard »

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
Re: HISTORICON 2012.
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2011, 21:24:12 »
I am one of the 125 of which you speak.  I might make the trip up 95 to check this out if my wife will let me leave her alone with a 2 month old.

To the patient go the spoils

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2011, 23:27:18 »
Ten hour drive....
« Last Edit: 06 December 2011, 23:30:25 by Top Sergeant »
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2011, 01:16:56 »
That pretty much means I'm never going to Historicon again. It's a shame to see them move out of the area.

wemic9

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Terrain Monkey
    • Battletech Bastion
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2011, 01:40:32 »
Still debating on if I'll go or not?
Repeat After Me
Bringing reality into Battletech voids the warranty
Happiness is a mushroom Cloud
I'm so anxious I feel like a hyperactive weasel on crack

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2011, 08:26:13 »
That pretty much means I'm never going to Historicon again. It's a shame to see them move out of the area.

Oh, come now...
If I can make the 5 hour drive up to Valley Forge, then can't you make the less than 4 hour drive to F'burg?

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

wemic9

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Terrain Monkey
    • Battletech Bastion
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2011, 21:07:18 »
Still debating on if I'll go or not?

Ok I'm going. I gotta run the Poker Run game
Repeat After Me

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2011, 12:18:50 »
Oh, come now...
If I can make the 5 hour drive up to Valley Forge, then can't you make the less than 4 hour drive to F'burg?

Under my current finances? No. Our finances aren't quite the same, apparently. Additionally, 8 hours of driving time means about three or four hours to spend at the con. I have responsibilities to an aging parent to handle daily. That makes it basically a very expensive, single game of Battletech in a four hour window. That's not how I'd choose to spend my limited discretionary funds. Historicon was nice because it was conveniently within an hour drive.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2011, 11:41:43 »
Under my current finances? No. Our finances aren't quite the same, apparently. Additionally, 8 hours of driving time means about three or four hours to spend at the con. I have responsibilities to an aging parent to handle daily. That makes it basically a very expensive, single game of Battletech in a four hour window. That's not how I'd choose to spend my limited discretionary funds. Historicon was nice because it was conveniently within an hour drive.

Well, then.  I can understand your limitations.  Didn't mean to be a jerk.
AFAIK, Cold Wars and Fall In are both still held in Lancaster at The Host.

I'm just very, very excited about having Historicon so close to me.
And I'd love for ALOT of BT gamers to come.

BARNESGN

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2012, 18:34:52 »
Grognard are you the GM? What events are planned?

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2012, 22:58:45 »
Going to have to drag my buddy to it!
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2012, 04:46:05 »
Hell I'd drive the 11 hours there,,,just didn't know ,Jhonny Reb let us Yankees that far south anymore.  ;D

And no,,,not the NY yankees.   ::)
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2012, 14:02:11 »
Hell I'd drive the 11 hours there,,,just didn't know ,Jhonny Reb let us Yankees that far south anymore.  ;D

Aww c'mon... Cut your carpet square wrap it around your stuff and come on down.  The temporary cease fire is still valid

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Iron Wind Metals
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2012, 09:04:57 »
Grognard are you the GM? What events are planned?

I would be the lead GM for the battletech events at Historicon. Event planning is still in   the works, late march is when I get the notice about submitting events. We will have them planned out in advance of that.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2012, 09:28:13 »
I guess that if you guys could manage the 5 hour roll up to PA for all these years, I can deal with the 5-6 hour ordeal in the other direction once a year.  Barring some catastrophe, I'll be there.  Of course, that makes for a loooooong day, between the 10+ hours of driving plus the bit of game time sandwiched in the middle......and the gas cost equates to the price of a couple of metal 'Mech minis.  Then again, it's HISTORICON, so it's automatically "worth it".

wemic9

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Terrain Monkey
    • Battletech Bastion
« Reply #15 on: 21 March 2012, 18:12:01 »
Both SPECK and METALCARNAGE had better be onsite.
SPECK and METALCARNAGE will be there though (I may be wrong) METALCARNAGE will be working the BV Traders booth in the dealers hall.

I will be running the Poker Run and Circle of Death games

Those of you that have never attended one of the HMGS cons they also have what's called Wally's Basement which is bassically a flea market type of set up. I've found some great bargins and some really hard to find items there.
Repeat After Me

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 21 March 2012, 21:04:20 »
SPECK and METALCARNAGE will be there though (I may be wrong) METALCARNAGE will be working the BV Traders booth in the dealers hall.

I will be running the Poker Run and Circle of Death games

Those of you that have never attended one of the HMGS cons they also have what's called Wally's Basement which is bassically a flea market type of set up. I've found some great bargins and some really hard to find items there.

Oh, DITTO on the Wally's Basement!  Last time I went, I picked up 12 painted minis for ...wait for it...  $29 !!!   
Then I walked around the corner, just in time to snag some MiB rarely seen minis for $6.50 each. 
I've gotten some great old books for free and some terrain too.
I highly recommend the Paint&Take!
Plus all the painting classes that are offered ... some charge a little bit for the mini ($2-3), and others, the mini is free.
That's the great thing about HISTORICON... You should never, ever get bored.
Bring your camera and lots of film. (or batteries and memory cards ... I date myself here.)
Bring your appetite for bargains... I usually find more than I can afford, and have had to walk away from some awesome deals.

IF you have questions about the area ... please contact me. 
If I can't answer your question, I'll point you in the right direction.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2012, 09:59:02 »
A few Historicons back, I bought a box of metal BT minis at the game flea market for about $40.  There were about a dozen "unseens" in the box, and about a dozen others, and then the guy said, "Oh, I forgot, these are part of it", and added a second box with about 20 more....over a Battalion of 'Mechs in total.

I narrowly missed out on an old 1/72nd scale "Glaug" plastic model kit (known as the "Marauder" in BT) at another HMGS convention..some kid was just walking away from the table with it as I walked up.

I also know someone who bought a PXH LAM for under $10 at one of the cons, and I picked up a couple of WSP LAMs for a small fraction of that.  Other cons, I've seen nothing worthwhile for less than retail price, so it's "hit or miss".  Of course, since Iron Wind Metals shows up in the Dealer area, and often has a "spare parts" box as well as an extensive display of BT products, I generally end up walking out of the con with something BT anyway.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 24 March 2012, 23:03:53 »

so long as you doan mind being called "damnyankee" or "carpetbagger" ... y'all ar welcome.
y'all Lincoln-luvers' money spends just fine.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2012, 21:49:43 »
The idea of finding more mini's to buy for cheap intrigues me.......
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

wemic9

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Terrain Monkey
    • Battletech Bastion
« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2012, 19:46:53 »
The idea of finding more mini's to buy for cheap intrigues me.......

You do have to realize though Wally's Baement is definitely a' crap shoot' when it comes to BT minis. Now I attend three HMGS cons Cold Wars/ Historicon/ Fall-In there have been times when there have been more then I could afford and times when there wasn't a BT mini in sight.
Repeat After Me

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2012, 20:17:53 »
Well to be honest I have more minis than I know what to do with, but hopingto find more never hurts either!!!

Main reason I want to go though is to get to throw dice with some of the Lords of the Battlefield guys I have known on the boards for oh 10 years or so, but never got to play with.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 30 March 2012, 23:05:56 »
Well to be honest I have more minis than I know what to do with, but hopingto find more never hurts either!!!

Main reason I want to go though is to get to throw dice with some of the Lords of the Battlefield guys I have known on the boards for oh 10 years or so, but never got to play with.

BEWARE THE HAIRY ONE.
AND THE BEARDED ONE.
AND THE TATTOOED ONE.
AND...
nevermind.
 O:-)
Great guys and all, but on the battlefield...
they enjoy uber-shanking of 'Mechs.
Repeatedly.
With dull blades.
and no lube.
 ;D :D ^-^ ;D :D

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 01 April 2012, 10:45:21 »
BEWARE THE HAIRY ONE.
AND THE BEARDED ONE.
AND THE TATTOOED ONE.
AND...
nevermind.
 O:-)
Great guys and all, but on the battlefield...
they enjoy uber-shanking of 'Mechs.
Repeatedly.
With dull blades.
and no lube.
 ;D :D ^-^ ;D :D

I'm in the military fulltime so used to the screwings with no lube......

I've met. A few of the guys and it was always a pleasure, hopefully the BVTraders guys will be there as well.

wemic9

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Terrain Monkey
    • Battletech Bastion
« Reply #24 on: 02 April 2012, 19:45:19 »
hopefully the BVTraders guys will be there as well.

They will be
Repeat After Me

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Iron Wind Metals
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: 03 April 2012, 16:58:34 »
I just submitted Historicon events, when I get the confirmation that all is good. I will create a new thread for the events.

BARNESGN

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 04 April 2012, 11:33:43 »
Yeah!!

CJKeys

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Defend this house!
« Reply #27 on: 05 April 2012, 00:30:47 »
I am completely amazed anyone would pick the burg for a con, seeing as how the place is usually having a gun, boat, or RV show. at least at this no firearms ca accidentally go off and put a hole in the roof again like they did when they first opened up.

I am glad it will be in my hometown this year and I will be able to be a part of it. If anyone is sitting on the fence, I might be able to convince my better half to rent out basement space with 3 square pieces of bread a day, you will have to fight the guinea pigs for the water though.
"Now sit down, shut up, and let us Davions do what we do best: kill people we think aren't free enough." - Reaver

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 18 July 2012, 11:05:29 »
Just some FYI for y'all coming to the Con...

Hotels: we got lots.  There is HILTON, HAMPTON and HOMEWOOD Suites across the parking lot from the convention center.
Linky >  http://goo.gl/maps/hfho

CHOW: Lots and more lots ...all fairly close.  My suggetion: there is a WEGMAN's about 200 yards away.  They have a Cafe' and there is a wide variety.  Across the street in CENTRAL PARK proper, there are litterally DOZENS of restaurants...  And yes, about 1/4 mile from the Con is a Krispy Kreme Donuts store.
LINKY>http://goo.gl/maps/fjfS

OTHER than Con things to do: follow the LINK > http://www.visitfred.com/

I was hoping to make it to Thursday's opening, but WORK just had to find something for me to do...
So I hope to see ya'll early FRIDAY morning.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #29 on: 19 July 2012, 19:09:54 »
Life just happened and now my trip up from Richmond isnt going to happen.  Oh well, the wife promised Gencon 2013 in return.