Author Topic: Naming help needed  (Read 3549 times)

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
Naming help needed
« on: 15 January 2012, 07:45:30 »
Need help renaming my merc unit.  In the wake of the Capellan love-fest Trinity Alliance, we're moving from anti-Blakist mercs to Warrior House wannabes.   

In our home campaign, we (mostly) survived the firebombing of Crimson, and helped repel the Wobbies; in commemoration of this event, we're getting a new name and new paint scheme.  Instead of our mopey dark gray scheme, we'll be crimson.

I've been calling the survivors the Crimson Phoenixes, which I kinda like, but I keep thinking (in light of their desire to be a Warrior House/fraternal order knock-off) that they ought to have "Order" or "Brotherhood" or some other group noun in the name somewhere.

But Order of the Crimson Phoenix is too Harry Potter, and makes it sound like the phoenix is a mascot, or a Mech, rather than the people themselves.

Stick with Crimson Phoenix Battalion?  Shorten to Crimson Phoenixes?  Something different?  Crimson Sentinels?   The Crimson Guard?   Looking for something with just the right ring to it....

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
Re: Naming help needed
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2012, 08:07:49 »
...given that they're based at Crimson, MoC, I keep wanting to call them the Red Light Specials....   >:D

jeyar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2012, 08:20:20 »
Crimson Order of Lazarus? COoL for short, and by putting a name in front of the order other than "the", you avoid the Harry Potter effect, and by not having the word "the" in the name at all, including the shortened name, you avoid the OOTS effect.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2012, 18:38:23 by jeyar »

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2012, 13:35:03 »
I like the Crimson Brotherhood O0
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2012, 14:03:10 »
I'd considered that.  It brings to mind the Brotherhood of Randis, the Cincinnatus Brotherhood, and (my personal favorite) Greyhawk's Scarlet Brotherhood. 

Perhaps we could use that as the name, and retain the phoenix as the symbol.  Will ponder.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2012, 12:21:53 »
(Dumonte's) Bloody Avengers ?

It's not practical to emulate a warrior house completely, since they typically raise their members from infants, but you can rip off their organizational structure, sure. I would think more along the lines of a mechwarrior order house of some kind. Take the Lornix Order ideology and mix in something of your own to make a quicker, dirtier mechwarrior philosophy.

I've always liked the idea of a berzerkergang order of mechwarrior pilots... able to go into a battle-bloodlust, ignoring the first (pilot) heat effects and getting a -1 TH for alpha-strikes, but they focus on an enemy until it's destroyed - even when tactically unwise. Something like that... it could make for a fun and interesting unit ability.
Freeborn and proud~

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2012, 12:28:01 »
Crimson Langurs, Crimson hawks...oh, sorry, my Bloodspirit is showing.

What about for your paint scheme you keep the grey to show where you came from but highlight with the crimson fading from the hands and feet, so grey body with the hands and feet deep red fading to grey.

Why not the Crimson Brotherhood like Saint said, i like that one.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2012, 12:50:21 »
Sodality Phoenix?

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2012, 07:30:50 »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  Decided to go with Crimson Brotherhood after all.   Got the emblem I want to use (see avatar) and a color scheme picked out; now I just need to practice painting mini-scale heiroglyphics.    ;D

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2012, 11:07:15 »
Congratz!   O0
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2012, 06:09:01 »
I was tempted to stick with "Crimson Guard," but I didn't want to have to follow Cobra Commander around.   >:D

Terra-ble

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2012, 06:35:23 »
OK, here is one on a differenct line of thought, how about "House Wannabe."

Register