Author Topic: (Answered) Laser Weapons and Suppressors  (Read 2819 times)

Marwynn

• Major
(Answered) Laser Weapons and Suppressors
« on: 13 February 2011, 17:40:49 »
I couldn't find specific mention of laser weapons in general making any noises. I'm sure there's a faint hum and there's a sound of a discharge.

If so, would the suppressors or silencers work as attachments? Sorry if this is in the book, I haven't read through it fully yet.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2012, 03:08:23 by Xotl »

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: Laser Weapons and Supressors
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2011, 21:26:46 »
I couldn't find specific mention of laser weapons in general making any noises. I'm sure there's a faint hum and there's a sound of a discharge.

Correct. There's actually be a noticeable crack, kind of like the sound of a static discharge, just louder.

If so, would the suppressors or silencers work as attachments? Sorry if this is in the book, I haven't read through it fully yet.

No, as both those devices suppress and silence things that are specific to how a gun operates. What you hear from a gun is expanding gasses of the propellant. Lasers don't make noise by expanding gasses. The crack is actually the small vacuum tube that is made along its path.
Also note that if a gun fires supersonic ammunition, you'll still hear the sonic boom of the projectile.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2011, 21:49:12 »
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up.

So currently there's no way of silencing laser weapons? Suppressed Auto-Rifles then for my secret squads of doom!

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2011, 09:33:51 »
So currently there's no way of silencing laser weapons?

No, but it's also much less needed. A laser weapon will still be quieter than a silenced/suppressed weapon, which really only makes most guns go from "deafening, ear damage probable" to "really really loud".

Auto-Rifles then for my secret squads of doom!

Don't forget that they fire supersonic ammo, normally. You can get subsonic ammo.
Another weapon to look at is the Needler.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.