Author Topic: Can ASFs Break Atmo?  (Read 3311 times)

ShockaTime

• Captain
Can ASFs Break Atmo?
« on: 14 February 2011, 18:16:12 »
Just wondering if ASFs have the ability to break atmo, whether its from the ground into space or vice versa. I can't seem to find a source that gives me an answer so I'm hoping one of you out there knows.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
Re: Can ASFs Break Atmo?
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2011, 18:48:49 »
Yes to both, and quite easily. They just make a Control check when entering (but not leaving) atmosphere.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2011, 19:07:08 »
Just wondering if ASFs have the ability to break atmo, whether its from the ground into space or vice versa. I can't seem to find a source that gives me an answer so I'm hoping one of you out there knows.

Yes, aerospace fighters can leave and enter the atmosphere. Just about any novel featuring aerospace fighters depicts them in both air and space.

The current rules addressing this are in Total Warfare. See Aerospace Movement, pg74-93. Specifically:

pg76 details Space Movement, with the Movement Subphases section naming Fighters.

pg79 details High Altitude movement (atmospheric movement on the space map), noting which aerospace units are banned from moving above row 1 (including conventional fighters and fixed wing support vehicles), while airships and VTOLs are banned from High Altitude operations. This leaves other aerospace units (defined on pg74) to maneuver freely on the high altitude map. Yes, that definition includes aerospace fighters.

pg78-79 details crossing the "interface" row of the high altitude map, or as you put it "break atmo," though the interface is really the thinnest and least obtrusive part of the atmosphere.

So, there you go. The rules for getting aerospace fighters into and out of the atmosphere.

For supporting fluff, read any fighter TRO. TW pg71-73 has a nice piece of fiction of an aerospace fighter operating in space. pg178-178 Tech Manual describes aerospace fighter technology and their dual atmosphere/space operations.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2011, 00:17:04 »
wow, thanks. i literally cannot believe i missed that #P

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Register