Author Topic: How much is too much?  (Read 1866 times)

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
How much is too much?
« on: 06 April 2012, 11:28:46 »
First of all I want to thank TPTB for not being nazi's like GW about people reposting stuff online about your products.

But on that same note.  I'm nearly finished with my own version of the MUL (started well before the official one).  It differs as it has all stats for all the units (armor, movement, weapons, critical allocation, etc).  Eventually it'll even have fluff and images, and it would be possible to select everything from TRO 3039, push print in TRO format, and get something nearly identical to a TRO.  Or print an unabridged record sheet book or quick strike card book.

I also completely understand that CGL has no legal authority on computer based BT stuff. 

I guess this data is mostly out there already, as you can get the heavy metal files which have all the same stuff, plus the fluff, and the images are all over the internet, so what I have really isn't anything you can't get already.  But it'll be far *easier* to get.

So, just as an unofficial opinion, what kind of limits should I impose on anything I produce and release online to prevent any potential lost sales?
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Sulla

• CGL Media Design & Production
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Warrant Officer
  • Death Before Dispossessed
Re: How much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2012, 14:43:05 »
If you're actually serious, you need to contact Randall before you even think of pulling the trigger. In my opinion, any such resource is pretty clear copyright infringement and you'd be open to serious repercussions.

Contact Randall via randall@catalystgamelabs.com.
BattleTech! Studly caps! Shadowrun! No studly caps! No spaces!

"...reading is about what goes in your mind, not your hand." -Roosterboy

"BattleTech does not map to the real world, it's BattleTech." -Welshman