Poll

What are the odds of successfully taking a Texas-class in a boarding action?

Pretty good
7 (13.2%)
Not that good
7 (13.2%)
A snowball's chance in Hell - so there IS a chance...
10 (18.9%)
"Never tell me the odds!"
23 (43.4%)
You'd have to be a Kerensky to pull this off
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: "Don't Mess With Texas"  (Read 8938 times)

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
  • I draw stuff for a miniatures company
"Don't Mess With Texas"
« on: 14 April 2012, 14:40:55 »
So I just read the sarna.net entry on the "Prinz Eugen mutiny" (so much for "volunteering" to join Kerensky) and after reading up on the Texas-class, I'm wondering just how successful such a boarding action could really be.

It also helps that it fondly reminded me of the mutual stand-offs aboard the "Galactica" and the "Pegasus" CiCs.
1st Battalion, 91st Royal Battlemech Regiment, 26th Light Brigade Combat Team, 61st Infantry Division, XXVII Corps, Eleventh Army, SLDF

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: "Don't Mess With Texas"
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2012, 14:44:06 »
Taking it with what, defended by what?

I'm sure a galaxy of elementals could take a Texas defended by a squad of school children. There might be some more evenly matched scenarios where the attackers could win, too. ;)

On the other hand, Big Al Kerensky did have lots and lots of loyal veteran SLDF marines at his disposal during the mutiny, so a successful defense was probably not in the cards.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2012, 14:46:51 »
I'd have to know the attacking force. Can't give an opinion until then.

I will say that among SLDF BBs, the Texas is possibly the best suited for destroying small craft from a distance. My method for getting my troops onboard would be to distract the ship with an attack by other Large WarShips, forcing it to use its guns against them while your shuttle carriers get close so they can launch the assault shuttles as close as possible. The farther away you are when your shuttles launch, the more time those numerous missile launchers and massive laser bays have time to cut them down.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2012, 14:50:59 »
Taking it with what, defended by what?
I'd have to know the attacking force. Can't give an opinion until then.

Sarna.net says Kerensky's son Andery, the future Khan of the Jade Falcons, and 160 marines.  The entry doesn't say how they got aboard the Prinz Eugen, nor does it say what counter-boarding capability the mutineers had.
1st Battalion, 91st Royal Battlemech Regiment, 26th Light Brigade Combat Team, 61st Infantry Division, XXVII Corps, Eleventh Army, SLDF

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2012, 15:00:38 »
162 Marine points? More than enough, unless Prinz Eugen has a lot of marines beyond the normal crew complement aboard.
My wife writes books

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2012, 15:10:54 »
I wish the entry had a bit more detail, like if the marines boarded via secrecy, or brute force, or were assembled from the carried dropships, etc.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2012, 15:48:55 »
Considering the Prinz Eugen had jumped away from Kerensky . . . pretty sure it was not secrecy.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2012, 16:03:55 »
Considering the Prinz Eugen had jumped away from Kerensky . . . pretty sure it was not secrecy.

Then how could 160 Marines get aboard a nine-ship flotilla including at least one warship known for its maneuverability?

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2012, 16:08:55 »
With faster ships and faster shuttles, and backup with heavy guns.
My wife writes books

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2012, 16:10:08 »
With faster ships and faster shuttles, and backup with heavy guns.

So the other ships with the Eugen were not warships with any point defenses?

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2012, 16:14:45 »
HEAVY guns. This should obviously be proportional to their expected opposition, since they know exactly how many ships left with Eugen. I'm not assuming stupidity on the part of the assaulting force.
My wife writes books

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2012, 16:18:01 »
I'm not assuming stupidity on the part of the assaulting force.

Well, we are dealing with people who decided to go "Oregon Trail IN SPACE" with no clear destination, so...

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2012, 16:24:20 »
Fighting is what they do. Ergo, when I suggested big guns, fast ships, and faster shuttles, I said that on the assumption that they'd apply the same solution to every enemy ship in varying proportion. Since we were only talking about the Texas initially, I saw no reason to even think about the rest of the flotilla, since if we needed to think about them, they would have been mentioned at the very beginning.
My wife writes books

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2012, 16:26:35 »
Since we were only talking about the Texas....

Because I have no information on the ships accompanying the Eugen, nor what brought the marines to attack it with.  I posed the question in the hopes that more informed forum members could enlighten me.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2012, 16:28:33 »
Aside from SLS Hermes, I also know nothing.
My wife writes books

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2012, 16:30:42 »
IIRC, there were hints it included the 2 Camerons ComStar ended up with, but I think the rest of the ships had a stigma.  You might look in Operation Klondike, some of the Founder info covered it I think.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2012, 16:31:26 »
Looking at it from a rational perspective, Kerensky and Co. would have HAD to have men on the inside.  Why?

Because the Prinz Eugen was taken intact.  Boarding is a dicey situation when the enemy vessel isn't actively manuevering to avoid boarding attempts, much less actively manuevering AND firing weapons.

There's also the matter of the PE Jumping away from the formation-figure a 360 degree by 360 degree search area with a 30LY radius they could, theoretically, jump into, figure that the Staff of both sides are NOT blithering idiots.  Without an inside man, the Fleet would have a very hard time locating the target flotilla to begin with, though it is interesting that the Eugen's officers didn't disperse their comrades across several points to make a rendezvous later-the first move one would logically take, breaking away from "Kerensky's Fleet", and a standard Naval evasion manuever when breaking from ANY Convoy.

An "Inside man" explains how Kerensky was able to find/round up that group as quickly as he did, and explains how a ship with that MUCH defensive firepower could be taken by Marines without mass casualties and/or destruction of the vessel's ability to...y'know, jump and carry stuff.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2012, 16:35:41 »
That's the theory behind Electa and Lady Shandra? Hadn't heard it before, I like it.

Cannonshop's comments about damage and mass casualties could explain why they were abandoned. If the ships were damaged and/or the crew gutted, there might not have been resources or manpower available to repair/crew them afterwards, especially since I doubt Kerensky would have stayed in place for very long out of fear that the IS might be following them.
My wife writes books

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2012, 18:20:44 »
Also, it depends on how ruthless the Texas was-- we don't have any information that they spaced everyone else, so its entirely likely they wer ejsut trying to go home and weren't interesting on killing other SLDF individuals-- Keresnkey was.

Actually, interestingly enough, he probably didn't have a leg to stand on-- he'd left his legitimacy when he abandoned the Hegemony, and of course the Star League no longer existed.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 14 April 2012, 19:44:54 »
Also, it depends on how ruthless the Texas was-- we don't have any information that they spaced everyone else, so its entirely likely they wer ejsut trying to go home and weren't interesting on killing other SLDF individuals-- Keresnkey was.

Actually, interestingly enough, he probably didn't have a leg to stand on-- he'd left his legitimacy when he abandoned the Hegemony, and of course the Star League no longer existed.

Kerensky had the same legitimacy any other first-generation Bandit King, or Mutineer, or leader of deserters has.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2012, 19:59:45 »
Kerensky's legitimacy(or total lack thereof) is probably beyond the intended scope of this thread...

Though I agree with you.
My wife writes books

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2012, 02:27:30 »
So I just read the sarna.net entry on the "Prinz Eugen mutiny" (so much for "volunteering" to join Kerensky) and after reading up on the Texas-class, I'm wondering just how successful such a boarding action could really be.

It also helps that it fondly reminded me of the mutual stand-offs aboard the "Galactica" and the "Pegasus" CiCs.

The game being as it is, mostly chance based, I think there's always a possibility and you just have to trust the Island, Jack. Pic related.

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 15 April 2012, 03:54:49 »
The game being as it is, mostly chance based, I think there's always a possibility and you just have to trust the Island, Jack. Pic related.

Coincidentally, my current GM's campaign plot is based on "Lost."  Our "polar bear" was a  Kodiak 'Mech.

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 15 April 2012, 04:19:19 »
Was John Locke the pilot of a quad-mech before his dropship broke in half over the Island? :3

The Hawk

• Warrant Officer
  • Have talons, will travel.
« Reply #24 on: 15 April 2012, 09:26:52 »
That's the theory behind Electa and Lady Shandra? Hadn't heard it before, I like it.

I haven't heard it either.  I'm going from memory here, but I thought when the Invisible Truth first makes an appearance (in Grave Covenant, IIRC?) Beresick or someone speculates that they were left behind because their lack of reliability.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 15 April 2012, 09:31:27 »
And found in the Deep Periphery . . .
Colt Ward

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2012, 10:52:07 »
And found in the Deep Periphery . . .

According to Comstar and we know they've never told porkies  ;D
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

monty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2012, 15:58:21 »
Then how could 160 Marines get aboard a nine-ship flotilla including at least one warship known for its maneuverability?

With heavy losses. At least 6 assault dropships, 1 of them an Achilles Class were destroyed trying to close with the Prinz Eugen. There were 84 marines onboard the shuttle Elizabeth Hazen & Andery Kerensky used to board the Prinz Eugen & 5 other shuttles were also used according to the Founding of the Clans serial. To make that fit with Elizabeth Hazens figure of 38 dead & 56 wounded out of a strike force of 160 marines in Operation Klondike I would think that the 160 were either her personal unit or only 2 shuttles successfully boarded the Prinz Eugen & that the casualties she mentions come only from that number. The total casualties would be much higher.

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum.
Let him who desires peace prepare for war. (Vegetius)

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2012, 16:11:06 »
That makes for a much more interesting scenario, but I still want to know who was the genius who thought that taking assault Dropships against a Texas Class was a good idea.  Also, if only two of six boarding shuttles made it to the target, it makes me wonder about the planning abilities of SLDF officers; that kind of casualty rate looks more like a result of something akin to  Pickett's charge.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2012, 16:39:07 »
Assault ships are a very good idea, since they can close with the Texas extremely quickly, and use evasive maneuvers while doing so, then dropping off the shuttles at pointblank range. The trick to keeping them alive is to give the Texas something more dangerous to shoot at, such as a Mckenna following right behind the DropShips, so the Texas has something more important to shoot at. (Shooting out the Texas's guns will also help, and the Mckenna can do that.) Saturating him with targets is also a good idea, to guarantee that the target will be unable to kill them fast enough. This is easier than you'd think, given the small number of seperate bays a Texas has.
My wife writes books

Register