Author Topic: to-hit rolls once TAG has been aquired  (Read 11246 times)

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
to-hit rolls once TAG has been aquired
« on: 15 April 2012, 17:08:04 »
so let's say I've established a tock with TAG ...
My TAG equiped vehicle is 5 hexes away from the target (Stinger) and My Archer is 12 hexes away.  Let's say there's 1 hex of light woods between the vehicle and the Stinger and two hexes of light woods between the Archer and the Stinger.
The vehicle cruised, the Archer ran, and the Stinger moved 5 hexes.

Would I want to use TAG in this situation?  Why or why not?
If I use it, how do I calculate the to-hit roll for the Archer?

Thanks for the help, guys!!!

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
Re: to-hit rolls once TAG has been aquired
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2012, 17:46:07 »
If you hit with the TAG and the Archer is carrying Semi-guided ammo for the LRMs, then when the Archer fires at the Stinger, the Stinger's movement is ignored. So effectively the Stinger stood still as far as the Archer is concerned.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2012, 17:52:34 »
If you're using Semi-Guided LRMs in the Archer, then TAGing the target allows you to ignore the target's movement modifier.

So you would calculate the to-hit number as normal for the Archer (+2 for 2 hexes of light woods, +2 for Archer running, +2 for medium range), but you would count the Stinger's movement as 0 (+0) instead of 5 (+2).

If the Archer was within range of its Medium Lasers, they wouldn't get the bonus, since TAG doesn't work for everything.

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2012, 17:54:34 »
If you hit with the TAG and the Archer is carrying Semi-guided ammo for the LRMs, then when the Archer fires at the Stinger, the Stinger's movement is ignored. So effectively the Stinger stood still as far as the Archer is concerned.

So the to-hit roll for the Archer would be:
Archers base + Archers mvmt + range btw Archer & Stinger + 2 hexes of light woods?

Also, do the missiles HAVE to be semi-guided ammo?  Let's say the Archer was a Warhammer ... could the PPCs be used in the same way?

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2012, 18:04:15 »
Only a small number of special munitions benefit from TAG. Semiguided LRMs are one of them, as well as homing Arrow IVs, laser-guided bombs, and copperhead artillery rounds. There are a few more I'm missing I'm sure, but unguided and direct-fire weapons never benefit from it.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2012, 18:05:49 »
PPC's from the warhammer will receive no bonus from a tag.They aren't missiles.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2012, 18:11:33 »
thanks for the answers, everyone.
I didn't mean to post a question that was already answered ... I guess I didn't see the message that another response had been posted while I was still typing Mine up.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2012, 19:56:51 »
Total Warfare and Tactical Operations are pretty explicit about what can benefit from TAG and what the bonuses are.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2012, 20:27:44 »
Total Warfare and Tactical Operations are pretty explicit about what can benefit from TAG and what the bonuses are.

This part kind of confused me.  page 143  "If the to-hit roll is successful, the system designates the target for that turn's weapon attack phase; the target unit is designated for any number of attacks from any number of units using TAG."

My group has interpreted that as meaning a unit with TAG could make an indirect attack at an enemy "tagged" by another friendly even with normal LRM rounds.  We treated the attack as a normal indirect attack but without all the extra mods from(or to) the spotter.   Is that right or are we way off?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Wolverine

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2012, 20:38:16 »
SAL is what TAG seems to be in todays terms,  SAL seekers can be fitted to a wide variety of weapons at reletively low costs (compared to a RF or EO seeker/sensor).   I don;t get the short TAG range tho, even lame TAG should outrange the targets they are painting !  I'd give TAG the same range as LRMS but give them a tougher to hit roll if they are on a mobile platform, that gives TAG infantry some edge as well.
J
"It's called the Awesome for a very good reason"

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2012, 20:44:06 »
So it sounds like, even though TAG is legal as early as 3033 it's nearly useless until semi-guided missiles hit the scene in 3057.
The only benefit to fielding it prior to that year would be to eliminate the +1 modifier for indirect fire, right?

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2012, 21:44:37 »
I thought you needed semiguided rounds to get any benefit from TAG when using LRMs. Is that not the case?

If TAG does indeed work with standard LRMs to eliminate the +1 indirect bonus then it's hardly useless! Especially since you don't need to care about spotter movement and shooting either.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2012, 21:46:46 by theothersarah »

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2012, 22:26:41 »
Tag is useless with out the semi guided amunition or Arrow IV Tag guided munitions.

I believe the semi-guided LRM ammo was made so the tag wasn't useless when the AIV carrier ran out of guided munitions.

This part kind of confused me.  page 143  "If the to-hit roll is successful, the system designates the target for that turn's weapon attack phase; the target unit is designated for any number of attacks from any number of units using TAG."

My group has interpreted that as meaning a unit with TAG could make an indirect attack at an enemy "tagged" by another friendly even with normal LRM rounds.  We treated the attack as a normal indirect attack but without all the extra mods from(or to) the spotter.   Is that right or are we way off?

You may make any house rule you would like, nothing is stopping you.However, that not how it works.

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2012, 22:28:53 »
Damn! That's what I thought but I really, really wanted to be wrong this time.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2012, 22:29:50 »
Semi-Guided LRMs are the only weapon in Total Warfare that are affected by TAG, but they're a late addition to what TAG was originally used for: Arrow IV Missile Artillery.

TAG was originally developed to be used in conjunction with Arrow IV Homing rounds by the Star League.  Post Clan Invasion, Copperhead rounds for tube artillery, Semi-Guided LRMs, and Semi-Guided Mortar rounds were also developed.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 15 April 2012, 22:31:45 »
So it sounds like, even though TAG is legal as early as 3033 it's nearly useless until semi-guided missiles hit the scene in 3057.
The only benefit to fielding it prior to that year would be to eliminate the +1 modifier for indirect fire, right?

It only eliminates the +1 for indirect fire if the LRMs are semi-guided.

Another important aspect of the TAG/semi-guided combo is that it allows the TAG-firing mech to fire its other weapons  without incurring the additional +1 to hit for the spotting and indirect firing unit that a spotting mech firing its weapons usually incurs.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2012, 22:32:45 »
Narc is so much better...

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2012, 22:37:53 »
Narc is so much better...

I think if you're playing TW level rules, NARC is better specifically for indirect fire.  However, the ability for semi-guided LRMs to ignore TMM is a pretty big boost to accuracy that NARC just doesn't give.  NARC also weighs a lot more and has explosive ammo.  Personally, I don't think either system is a great thing to base your strategy around.

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2012, 22:39:00 »
Both ammo types make the Raven a fantastic companion for your missile 'mechs though ;D

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2012, 23:10:03 »
this sucks for scenarios prior to 3057.  :(

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #20 on: 15 April 2012, 23:42:56 »
Semi-Guided LRMs aren't widely distributed post 3057- the FWL is the only faction that produces them.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2012, 23:47:06 »
Sort of.

Tech Manual kind of contradicts itself a bit.  The Federated Commonwealth are expressly mentioned as using TAG to help guide Laser Guided Bombs as early as the 3040s and yet the re-intro date for Laser Guided Bombs is listed as 3060 for the FWL.

Hell pretty much all the dates it lists for re-intro for bombs make no sense and there are a couple I'd argue that are listed as going extinct that really shouldn't have.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2012, 00:09:24 »
Throw it in the errata forum then, it's worth noting.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2012, 00:25:26 »
Semi-Guided LRMs aren't widely distributed post 3057- the FWL is the only faction that produces them.

Yeah, but if you're just playing the game, and want to have fun with semi-guided, who cares?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2012, 01:33:46 »
If you're playing in a game that's set at a particular time, one would assume that you're trying to keep things faction specific as well.

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2012, 01:44:09 »
If you're playing in a game that's set at a particular time, one would assume that you're trying to keep things faction specific as well.

And if you love LRMs there's pretty much no better choice than the FWL anyways. Trebuchet, Apollo, Yeoman, Perseus A, and even the Patriot for on-board Arrow IV action. Plus access to the Raven ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2012, 02:04:12 »
Well, this is certainly a notable occasion: someone mentioned the Yeoman with something other than derision.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2012, 08:33:42 »
If you're a FWL player, anything with as many LRMs as a Yeoman is a great 'mech. O0

Also, people are forgetting that TAG will also provide a -2 bonus for any orbital strike, even using ballistic or energy capital weapons. Given how huge an effect the MoF has on shots drifting, this will be a massive benefit ifwhen you miss.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2012, 09:28:52 »

Nope. :)

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2012, 12:05:21 »
Well, this is certainly a notable occasion: someone mentioned the Yeoman with something other than derision.

The Yeoman is pretty much the Free Worlds League's love of LRMs manifesting itself in physical form. A congealed blob of LRMs with legs. If you like LRMs what's not to love ;D

Also, people are forgetting that TAG will also provide a -2 bonus for any orbital strike, even using ballistic or energy capital weapons. Given how huge an effect the MoF has on shots drifting, this will be a massive benefit ifwhen you miss.

...I don't think I want to be within 15 hexes of an orbital strike target. Even with the bonus. My insurance doesn't cover wrath of God.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2012, 12:08:44 by theothersarah »

Register