Author Topic: Anyone tried the new GW 145 paint line?  (Read 5040 times)

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
Anyone tried the new GW 145 paint line?
« on: 19 April 2012, 04:17:46 »
OK, I am beginning a project to test out the new GW 145 paint line: painting a mini completely using the new paint
line.  I want to hear if anyone else has tried it yet?

Only thing I am not using is their brush-on primer, and that is because I am not a fan of brush-on primer.
So far, I am just applying the Base coat(first base is the Caliban Green, since I am doing a Ma Tsu-Kai Ti'tseng, going to
put the metallic bases on later, and then figure out where I am going to do the ivory and look for the right sort of light yellowish brown to use).

My immediate impression of the Caliban Green is that it has a consistency very close to Vallejo paints. It is nowhere near as thick
as the Foundation paints from a couple years ago, and actually seems a bit thinner then even GW's old normal(so I did not have
to thin it out like I would have to). Like Vallejo paints, it also did not lose much detail in the painting, even with some spots getting
multiple coats.

I am looking forward to experimenting with their Dry Brushing paints, Textured paints for basing, and the Glazes(which, from
descriptions, sound like a reverse wash: stays away from the crevices and goes to the high points).
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Dr Dodo

• Private
Re: Anyone tried the new GW 145 paint line?
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2012, 01:22:15 »
I would be interested in finding out

Won't buy any since I can pay $6+ per pot of GW at the closest store or buy vallejo online for around half the price
The Doctor IV: You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2012, 03:39:11 »
I would be interested in finding out

Won't buy any since I can pay $6+ per pot of GW at the closest store or buy vallejo online for around half the price

Huh? the GW paints are 3.70, though...your FLGS is ripping you off, dude..

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2012, 03:48:07 »
I only heard some rumors about this new colors line but haven't tried yet.
I'll check the store to see if they are available.

Dr Dodo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2012, 07:50:52 »
Huh? the GW paints are 3.70, though...your FLGS is ripping you off, dude..

No not my FLGS I'm in Oz. GWOZ sets that price like how we pay 62 dollars for the same 37.25 dollar space marine tactical squad.

Often it is cheaper to order OS + postage than it is to get it in the country (if we can). Another example are paperbacks books that sell for 7.99 in the US can go for 18 to 25 dollars in Oz

it is due to their excessive pricing for Oz that stopped me from getting more stuff from them & quitting both warhammer games
The Doctor IV: You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.

Dr Lucky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2012, 02:59:37 »
I've been playing around with the new paints some.  I haven't tried out the textures yet, but I'm really impressed with the dry compounds and the glazes.  The dry compounds have a weird, foamy consistency in the pots but they work like magic to give you really fine, easy dry brushing with almost no effort.  I suspect they are better for the paintbrush than a traditional dry brushing technique.  I wouldn't call the glazes reverse washes - they don't avoid the crevices, but they don't seek them out either; they cover pretty evenly.  Mostly, they serve to make heavy-handed or poorly blended highlights look more natural, which they do very well. 

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2012, 08:32:41 »
tagged for further review.I want to hear about them too...
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2012, 10:09:11 »
I used the textured paint for the base of my Reposed PHawk.  Then added some larger pieces of rock.  Seemed to work pretty well.  Click the pic to make it bigger.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2012, 10:10:42 by billtfor3 »
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2012, 20:21:59 »
I won't buy any of the textured paint. I can get faux stone craft paint that does the same thing for about $1.00. I am interested in the paints and glazes though.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2012, 21:43:20 »
I picked up Nulin Oil and Agrax Earthshade, and found them similar to, if not identical to, Badab Black and the superlative Delvin Mud.  Both are very good washes, but they still smell quite terrible.

I didn't try the Foundation line, but I did pick up a few pots of the Base line(which is supposed to replace the Foundations) and have been impressed with those as well.  I've heard great things about the drybrush paint, so picked up a few of those to see what's good with them.  I'm hoping to find a video or two on how the grey goes on before I unleash it.

All in all, quite good.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2012, 12:57:26 »
I picked up Nulin Oil and Agrax Earthshade, and found them similar to, if not identical to, Badab Black and the superlative Delvin Mud.  Both are very good washes, but they still smell quite terrible.

That is because they are just the renamed versions of those. For the first time ever, because there are subtle changes,
GW actually renamed everything, instead of just renaming some things, and keeping others the same name.

Dr Dodo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2012, 15:42:25 »
That is because they are just the renamed versions of those. For the first time ever, because there are subtle changes,
GW actually renamed everything, instead of just renaming some things, and keeping others the same name.

No not renamed. they are made by a different manufacturer, different composition. GW themselves said that the colours are close but are not a perfect match.

The different manufacturer occurred due to contractual issues (GW wanted a far cheaper price the manufacturer wanted a higher price)

The renaming was done to make each name having a GW trademark in a effort to prevent other manufacturers of paint making colour comparison charts to show how their colours match GW shades

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2012, 16:03:29 »
So far im liking the new paints a lot.  the expanded line means less mixing.  I havent tried to paint any mechs but have been painting my warhammer fantasy stuff.  I havent tried using their dry paints (those are thicker for drybrushing) but I have used their base paint.  It wasnt exactly what I was expecting, really just paint with some grit in it, but I like it for painting the base and then adding more texture on top of that.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2012, 15:07:40 »
Wait, so the new 145 line has superseded the old line? My LGS hardly ever restocks it's GW paint which is probably why I haven't even heard of this. I wonder of the old manufacturer is going to keep selling the GW paints under new names...
Maker of big things.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2012, 15:13:43 »
GW themselves said that the colours are close but are not a perfect match.

Oy.  I foresee this causing me headaches in the future.   :P
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Dr Dodo

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2012, 16:12:22 »
Oy.  I foresee this causing me headaches in the future.   :P

You are not alone. GW has offered 3 options
Option 1: Just ignore the differences in shades as the old paints don't exist (AKA "There is no spoon option")
Option 2: You can buy even more paint to repaint your old figures to match the new paint :o (AKA "Repaint the world option")
or
Option 3: Even better take this as the time to throw out all of those old figures and replace with the brand new version as well as the same with the new paint #P (AKA "These are not the figures you are looking for option")

I know a few painters that have a few hundred figures/vehicles that are painted in certain colours but still have a similar amount to do but are now missing a key colour and are trying to find a exact match rather than a close match or tying to mix a closer shade themselves

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2012, 16:36:01 »
I know a few painters that have a few hundred figures/vehicles that are painted in certain colours but still have a similar amount to do but are now missing a key colour

I know the pain.  Two of my armies' main color is Midnight Blue, which they discontinued before even the newest batch of paints and I still have quite a bit of both armies to paint.  I'd almost swear they do this sort of thing on purpose to make you buy new models to make the colors match...

Dr Dodo

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2012, 17:47:59 »
well I think you can still get midnight blue if it was in the old white flip-top lid from the original manufacturer Coat D'Arms but this changing was one of the reasons I drifted over to using vallejo & stability in their colour range

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2012, 21:56:48 »
I still have some Coat De'Arms paint. I loved that stuff. The old Citadel paints from the 90's were pretty good too.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #19 on: 07 May 2012, 20:05:22 »
Well I bought some of the new GW paints today, enough that I can give all the different types a try. I'll let you know how they work out. To be honest what intrigues me the most is the liquid green stuff.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #20 on: 08 May 2012, 19:41:38 »
Man, I don't exactly get how to use that liquid green stuff! I thought it'd work like a filler but so far applying it to do so has eluded me. It's easier for me to take some normal filler, fill in the gaps using my finger or a tool then wipe away the excess. I'll have to look up how this gunk is used :P

As for the paints, I'm finding them pretty good. I tried out painting an Ultramarine using the steps and paints as suggested in their little free booklet (the one with a quick guide to all their new paints) and it looks okay. Good enough for pick up games at least. I'd want to do things my usual way to get a nicer finish but I can see where to merge their techniques with my established routine at least. Aside from the fidgety stuff, their basic paints are nice and smooth and cover very well. I'm a white primer kind of guy, and have absolutely no use for their black imperial primer. I find most of the paints a touch off of what the old paints were (usually a touch darker and more intense-ish) but if you're used to playing with a palette I'm sure you can work it to look like the old stuff without too much work.

Register