Author Topic: Mechwarrior 2 joystick question  (Read 3626 times)

tsmpaul

• Corporal
Mechwarrior 2 joystick question
« on: 21 April 2012, 15:27:02 »
Hi guys. So I'm in my annual 'let's play the Mechwarrior 2 Titanium Trilogy" phase. Recently I got a G940 joystick/throttle/pedals setup for simming, and I thought, why not try it out with MW 2. However, the G940 is detected by Windows as three seperate devices, and there's part of my problem. It will let me move the torso around, fire weapons, switch targets, etc, with the joystick, but the pedals do nothing, and all the throttle does is turn the torso up/down - but only if I unselect the other two 'joysticks' first on the configuration screen.

It lists them as three joysticks in the MW2 configuration screen, and if I select 'customize controls', it lists the currently assigned buttons and stuff on the right. However, it doesn't let me click on something, say, torso rotation, and assign a new joystick button or movement to it.

I know there are MAP files that you edit to change keys and stuff, but I can't find any information on the internet about how to change and assign joystick configuration for the game.

Anyone out there know how to do this?
- red vs blue battletech painting -

tsmpaul

• Corporal
Re: Mechwarrior 2 joystick question
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2012, 01:56:52 »
Got it working! Joystick, Throttle and pedals :) If anyone's interested, I just used the Logitech Profiler to assign all of the keyboard controls to the buttons, hats and axis of the joystick, throttle and pedals. Then selected to use all three joysticks in the game - but instead of the game trying to interpret joystick input, it thinks I'm pressing all the keyboard commands.

With the the Throttle, I set it up so that it divided the length of the throttle into 10 equal areas, and for each area the throttle is moved to, it assigns it a keyboard number, ranging from 1 to 0 across the keyboard, which is how speed is controlled by the keyboard in the game. So it lets me slide the throttle forwards or backwards, and it automatically 'presses' the right number keys, speeding me up or slowing me down :)
- red vs blue battletech painting -