Author Topic: IGN MWO article  (Read 2954 times)

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
IGN MWO article
« on: 07 May 2012, 22:12:47 »
Just read this article over on IGN and it has a nice gameplay video attached.  One thing I noticed was a Catapult K2 chassis with lazors in place of the Missile pods  cant wait!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1224425p1.html

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: IGN MWO article
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2012, 23:20:54 »
In the video I have seen that pretty much all hits on the Catapult landed in the center torso with its prominent cockpit. Won't be there higher percentage of cockpit hits in comparison with Hunchback or Dragon?

Spheroid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2012, 23:48:34 »
Argghh...! You beat me to press.  I just saw this up on IGN.  Looks incredible.

Spheroid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2012, 23:49:46 »
dupe

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2012, 01:04:30 »
In the video I have seen that pretty much all hits on the Catapult landed in the center torso with its prominent cockpit. Won't be there higher percentage of cockpit hits in comparison with Hunchback or Dragon?

Isn't that a 'feature' of the design?  If all 'Mechs of the same size are identical in all aspects except hard-points, there's not really a reason to prefer one over the other.  That kind of 'feature' also can influence how players use a given 'Mech.

I don't think it's a bad thing.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2012, 01:13:41 »
Isn't that a 'feature' of the design?  If all 'Mechs of the same size are identical in all aspects except hard-points, there's not really a reason to prefer one over the other.  That kind of 'feature' also can influence how players use a given 'Mech.

I don't think it's a bad thing.

I understand that.

I just remembered MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries game in which Jenner, Sentinel and Catapult were very easy kills just because of their big cockpits. While CPLT-C1 Catapult could be used for indirect fire, CPLT-K2 Katapult must face the enemy, it can't hide behind some obstacle.

Stahlseele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2012, 04:10:41 »
Hmm, so slots for ammo/heatsinks/electronics but none for weapons? O.o
Interesting concept . .
Still pretty miffed that it's again not a visual representation of the chosen weapon on the model . .
Seems nobody is capable of "being inspired by MWLL" in that regard . .
Oh, wait, i forgot, Mechwarrior: Tactics, does this.
Quote from one of the Mechwarrior: Living Legends Mod Developers:
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness ****** the shit ****** random!'

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2012, 12:28:17 »
It's a Beta placeholder .  There will be visible differences in configurations when the game is complete.
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

CoffiNail

• Sergeant
  • Oathmaster of Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2012, 23:50:23 »
Yep, cannot wait! That footage makes me want to play it even more now.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2012, 13:37:29 »
looks like that pinpoint targeting's still in there at the moment.... i do like the LRM flights though. even though i doubt they're much like actual missile flight patterns (need to look into that) they've very pretty.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Register