Author Topic: Sell Me On A House Regiment  (Read 15550 times)

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
Re: Sell Me On A House Regiment
« Reply #30 on: 13 June 2012, 12:37:55 »
What a waste of a good unit.

(Let me preface this by saying I don't have my Sourcebooks in from of me, so I'm kinda winging it a little bit...)

You have to remember that the The Deneb Light Cavalry's designated "homeworld" was Deneb Kaitos, which was originally a Terran Hegemony World.  When Kerensky's Exodus order came down, they (specifically the 4th DLC) refused to abandon their home. As the Star League fell apart and the Houses began taking Terran Hegemony worlds, the DLC made a pact with House Davion. They joined the AFFS and became vital part of the AFFS' defenses in the Terran corridor. And up until the Jihad, Deneb Kaitos remained the HQ and homeworld for the Deneb Light Cavalry. So when House Davion ceded Deneb Kaitos to the Republic, it kinda made sense to also gift the DLC (or what was left of it) as well.
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
  • Wearing my tightest pants, because it's midnite!
« Reply #31 on: 13 June 2012, 13:07:34 »
I hope they got some MAJOR compensation for that move. Even if they were a step away from outright mutiny the FS needs all the troops they can get.

Anyways, back on topic. What unit to try now?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 13 June 2012, 13:45:03 »
After the Republic formed, the AFFS needed slightly less units than you seem to be thinking.  Aside from Liao getting uppity with the Republic, the period after the Jihad was characterized by a general war weariness across the Sphere, and a return to low intensity raids and skirmishes.

On topic, my favorite unit has to be the 4th Marik Militia.  Awesome paint scheme, propensity for Light and Medium units, and they're one of the few units I know of that are still Green but participate in damn near everything.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #33 on: 13 June 2012, 13:56:11 »
I hope they got some MAJOR compensation for that move. Even if they were a step away from outright mutiny the FS needs all the troops they can get.

Anyways, back on topic. What unit to try now?

I pulled up the Field Report - AFFS and as of time frame (3079), there were only two formations left from the Brigade and both were well below 50% strength. So it wasn't like what was left of the AFFS was getting pantsed by the loss of the DLC to the Republic.

And going back to topic, you said hadn't been sold on a lot of Kurita units, so how about the Arkab Legion(s)? I find them interesting in that the predominantly Arab background/culture represents something different from the Samurai Culture that is dominant in the Draconis Combine. Or how about the Proserpina Hussars, who I believe trace their roots back to the founding of the Draconis Combine? While they're not "l33t" like units like the Sword of Light, Genyosha, and Ryuken, they are certainly not slouches.

I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 13 June 2012, 14:04:07 »
I'm one of those haters that can't see why anyone would give up anything to the Republic for any reason. I understand the arguments but still don't agree with them.

I can deal with liking a unit that isn't l33t *goes to look up the Proserpina Hussars on Sarna since his FM:DC is at home*

Wolverine-7SK

• Lieutenant
  • You all Rock!
« Reply #35 on: 13 June 2012, 18:24:35 »
I have always been a fan of The Proserpina Hussars.
3rd Proserpina Hussars-Warriors of the Night
Almost alway Elite and Fanatical. Last I heard they were intact. I don't have any of the newest books, so I could be mistaken. Battle tested and true.

Gracus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 13 June 2012, 20:57:20 »
They're alive, Jim.  But they're 'Regular'. 
Your stupid little opinion has been duly noted.

No. Shut up. And... *kicks you in the crotch*
Better?  Wink
- Herb

“Did you hear that?”
—Leonus Gracus, Mayor of Tripolus, 100km outside Nova Roma, 6 June 3071

Reaver

• Warrant Officer
  • 10 XP from 2nd level commoner
« Reply #37 on: 13 June 2012, 21:09:52 »
Like the idea of a regiment that strikes fast and hard?  That punches above its weight, and then melts away from the opponent's counterstrike?  That embodies Ali's maxim of "float[ing] like a butterfly and sting[ing] like a bee?  But don't like the ridiculous amount of twinking that units like the 1stFSAC and the Davion Light Guards gets?  That has to fight hard for every victory?

Well then I have a regiment for you.

Behold the 1st Argyle Lancers.  Originally an SLDF unit that refused to leave with Kerensky, the Argyle Lancers remained based on Crimond throughout the Succession Wars.  Lighter than normal, the unit relies heavily on speed and agility, running its opponents a merry chase before hitting them where they're weak and melting away.  Consumate raiders, yet never given the respect or the gear of units like the DLG, they instead spent their time in the years between the 4th War and the FCCW training Lyrans Davion raiding tactics.  Loyal to the Lyrans even after the secession, they maintained their post on the Falcon border even after they were ambushed by the 3rd Donegal, where they managed to convince the heavier Lyrans they had been destroyed despite still having enough combat assets to contest the landing of a cluster of Falcons during the incursion.  While the unit was considered destroyed, there were still survivors fighting when the Incursion ended.
The Federated Suns.  Exporting freedom, whether we have it or not, whether you want it or not.
--Pyro

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 14 June 2012, 16:36:07 »
Almost alway Elite and Fanatical. Last I heard they were intact. I don't have any of the newest books, so I could be mistaken. Battle tested and true.

They are also now the 3rd Pesht Regulars following Proserpina being given to the Stoners, still nice to know they managed to take a chunk of their Academy with them.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #39 on: 14 June 2012, 16:41:26 »
I'm one of those haters that can't see why anyone would give up anything to the Republic for any reason. I understand the arguments but still don't agree with them.

Then it's time to sign on with the Capellan Confederation, my friend!  The last bastion of sanity in a world competing to stoop lower for Stone to more easily walk all over them!

Might I recommend Phyr's Hussars or the 4th Capellan Defense Force? 

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #40 on: 15 June 2012, 12:19:44 »

DEATH COMMANDOS!

- They among the best, if not THE best troops in the IS
- Each Mechwarrior gets two personal Battlemechs
- Any Death Commando may commandeer any other piece of equipment (Battlemech, etc.) from anyone in the CCAF*
- They are the original black and skull regiment
- All Death Commandos are trained in nearly every type of warfare- everything from sharp sticks to Battlemechs

*If I recall correctly, instead of rolling on the RAT, they can select any 'mech on any IS RAT.

Case made?
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 16 June 2012, 18:17:24 »
So many good choices.

The Death Commandos do rock but like I said earlier, I'm trying to find a unit different from what I normally consider, that being elite/hyper elite butt kickers extraordinaire. I want something different than that.

MadCap, even if I do choose a CapCon unit you'll never see me touting the Capellan line. Y'all STILL haven't sufficiently paid for the wanton murder of that Alliance ambassador  :P

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 16 June 2012, 21:21:30 »
MadCap, even if I do choose a CapCon unit you'll never see me touting the Capellan line. Y'all STILL haven't sufficiently paid for the wanton murder of that Alliance ambassador  :P

He had it coming!  The message he was delivering was nothing short of deliberate extortion, and besides, his screeching was horrible breach of decorum!

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 16 June 2012, 23:18:42 »
Well, I was going to recommend the Ceti Hussars, but, since we're not talking about Davion anymore.... what about one of the Republic organizations? I don't know a whole lot about them, but they certainly sound cool with all their fancy names and the shiny aura of Stone around them.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 16 June 2012, 23:26:43 »
Indeed, the Republic units don't get very much screen time, but they're still decent units.  Fully combined arms, every single one of them, and mixed up with tech from every era you can think of.  It's not unheard of to find a Summoner fighting side by side with a vintage Griffin, or a Fire Moth covering a Charger's back as part of a scout lance.  They're pretty much the units you can find anything and everything in, if you wanted.

Triarii Protectors, Principe Guards, and Hastati Sentinels (ignoring the Northwind Highlanders and other such units), in order of their unit experience from least to greatest.  The Principe units are going to be your regulars, assigned to a Prefecture and to putting out fires that might pop up.  Triarii are the showmen, chose for their loyalty more than their combat abilities, but they can hold their own if necessary.  The Hastati are the veteran and elite pilots, defending the borders of their Prefecture from smugglers, pirates, and hostile powers.

The colors of the X Principe Guards is pretty nice, too, and looks very similar to the FWL 1st Knights of the Sphere.

That and Stone's Lament are the only units with figures on Camospecs, with the Lament sporting this really awesome black and white skeleton theme.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #45 on: 16 June 2012, 23:30:23 »
Personally I've found RotS Errant Force units to be a lot of fun.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 17 June 2012, 00:09:54 »
my two suggestions are phyr's hussars, a capellan unit with personality enough for a whole brigade along with cool characters or the 2nd donegal guard who's history of service is even older than the commonwealth they serve.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 18 June 2012, 12:44:17 »
So many good choices.

The Death Commandos do rock but like I said earlier, I'm trying to find a unit different from what I normally consider, that being elite/hyper elite butt kickers extraordinaire. I want something different than that.

I don't know much about the Ghost Regiments are hyper elite butt kickers, but they are composed of the dregs of Combine society. That's gotta be worth something. That and the 9th was lead by Lainie Shimazu - a smokin' (from text description) tall redhead.

Or how about the Blackwind Lancers mainly because you never knew what side they'd be fighting for at any given time.

For something completely different, how about the Glorious Redemption Brigade? Presumably a Home Guard Infantry regiment so lame they don't even make it to any of the Field Manuals.

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 18 June 2012, 19:03:50 »
Tall smoking red head??!!! I'M SOLD!!!  O0

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #49 on: 19 June 2012, 12:36:44 »

I was a 1st Proserpina Hussar guy for years but then they jumped to the Dragons so now I'm with the 3rd. You can't go wrong with the Hussar brigade. During the SL they fought SLA units down, they exist in the Succession Wars beat on Clans and then even fought on Both sides of the Black Dragon crisis. As a Free Floater you don't have to play the Bushido thing too tightly and they are a Medium mech unit in the otherwise light/heavy DCMS. Some of the Regiments have an extra Battalion of mechs and other have more ASF. If you haven't given the DCMS a try they're a good place to start.

And yes the 3rd is now the Elite of the Pesht Regulars which isn't that bad as we get to face the Bears and any Clan raiders coming from the core!
« Last Edit: 19 June 2012, 12:39:38 by O5P_Ghost »
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 21 June 2012, 13:08:20 »
Tall smoking red head??!!! I'M SOLD!!!  O0

We all should have known that it would come down to sex appeal!

I learned the following about the 9th Ghost from the novel Close Combat:
-The Ghosts were formed by Teddy K being composed of Yakuza, undesirables and other criminals
-Because of they are composed of the "dregs", they have no honor and tend to fight dirty
-Garrisoned Hachiman in 3056
-CO is Tai-Sa Eleanor "Lainie" Shimazu

About Tai-Sa Shimazu
-Pilots a Mauler
-ex-Yakuza
-Would later be transferred to the Otomo and pilot a Naginata
-Most importantly, she is indeed a tall smokin' redhead!

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #51 on: 21 June 2012, 13:16:30 »
I don't know much about the Ghost Regiments are hyper elite butt kickers, but they are composed of the dregs of Combine society. That's gotta be worth something. That and the 9th was lead by Lainie Shimazu - a smokin' (from text description) tall redhead.

Lainie Shimazu, Natasha Kerensky...I'm sold for the 9th and Wolf's Dragoon's (tho they are a merc unit) both. but my favorite unit is, I'm afraid to say it, cuz i'm a touch Biased on this one. 5th Oriente Hussars. The lance CO portrayed in the First Strike book is me. :) .
Aside from personal Bias however, I do love the 10th Lyran Guards. No matter who beats them down, no matter how bad they get beaten, they always rise again. They are a well-rounded, well-trained, well-equipped and well experienced unit, not too overwhelmingly assault mech heavy. They have lighter weight mechs too.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #52 on: 21 June 2012, 13:24:57 »
Aside from personal Bias however, I do love the 10th Lyran Guards. No matter who beats them down, no matter how bad they get beaten, they always rise again. They are a well-rounded, well-trained, well-equipped and well experienced unit, not too overwhelmingly assault mech heavy.

Have they been resurrected in the Dark Age?

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 21 June 2012, 14:02:55 »
Have they been resurrected in the Dark Age?
Don't know. Don't think I can say I care what happens in the Dark Age, I seem to be the only person left who hasn't gone over to the DarK Age side. :)

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 21 June 2012, 14:04:12 »
but we have cookies
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 21 June 2012, 15:05:39 »
Don't know. Don't think I can say I care what happens in the Dark Age, I seem to be the only person left who hasn't gone over to the DarK Age side. :)

1 - Take 3025.
2 - Weld an X-Pulse Laser to your Wolverine.
3 - Give the Capellans at least as many 'Mechs as everyone else.

That's Dark Age.

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 21 June 2012, 15:33:02 »

Being myself skeptical of anything new and different from what I've always known, I was not initially a fan of the Dark Ages.

Although I haven't delved into it, I'm starting to like it since the Capellans are finally a respectable power. Well the in the very least, they haven't been catastrophically defeated.*

*The Fed Suns' supply of Stackpolian fiat was most likely depleted during the 4th SW.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 21 June 2012, 16:08:15 »
Being myself skeptical of anything new and different from what I've always known, I was not initially a fan of the Dark Ages.

Although I haven't delved into it, I'm starting to like it since the Capellans are finally a respectable power. Well the in the very least, they haven't been catastrophically defeated.*

*The Fed Suns' supply of Stackpolian fiat was most likely depleted during the 4th SW.
I do admit, that I discovered a newborn spark of respect for Sun Tsu after he'd told Stone where to put it.

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #58 on: 21 June 2012, 21:15:15 »
I'll admit that I've never understood why the Capellans were treated like this big badguy when they got curb-stomped left and right more often than not (I've always scratched my head as to why the FS didn't concentrate on the Dracs instead). Least starting with Sun Tsu a guy like me can finally see the Cappies as a worthy adversary.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 22 June 2012, 01:20:19 »
I'll admit that I've never understood why the Capellans were treated like this big badguy when they got curb-stomped left and right more often than not (I've always scratched my head as to why the FS didn't concentrate on the Dracs instead). Least starting with Sun Tsu a guy like me can finally see the Cappies as a worthy adversary.
The anti-cappellan thing stars in "Sword and the Dagger". When Max Liao replaced Hanse with a fake Hanse. It incited Hanse's terrible hate of the Capellans, Even though he disliked and even hated the Dracs, Ian having died at Yorinaga Kurita's hands. But it was a very personal view of Hanse's sense of right and wrong when you erase a person's life,m experiences, mind and persona. I always felt he figured there was some lines you just, don't ever cross. And yes I do remember Joshua Marik thank you very much.

But back to Units.
1)Lyran Commonwealth= 10th Lyran Guards,  Even after their near destruction at Dromini they always seemed to return better, stronger, and with a greater strength of purpose.
2) FWL= 5th Oriente Hussars. Lt. James T. Henderson. Pilot of an AWS-8Q Awesome. plays a game poker wich remains unfinished, he leaves behind a 'Dead Man's Hand" of 8s and Aces. The 5th were always stationed on the Trinity Worlds. They tended to intermarry and breed with the people on those worlds. This was done, iIrc to maintain a sense of unity within the FWL.
3) FedSuns= Davion Guards; The Best of the Best, the unit every FedSuns mechwarrior aspires to be in. Best Equipment, Best Training, Best of everything. No real flaws, no real want for anything. Except they are kept in reserve an awful lot.
4) DC= Ghost Regiments- The 9th are my favorites, BA enough to go toe to toe with the Cabelleros, and thye didn't have the proverbial Katana up their rears that most Drac mechwarriors have.
5) CapCon= I always kind of ignored them. I don't ever play as Cappies so I somewhat limited my view of their units for good or ill. So I'l lpass on this one.
Addendum: For long serving Merc units, my favorite is Snord's Irregulars in the Lyran Commonwealth/FedCom/Lyran Alliance.

Register