Author Topic: Sell Me On A House Regiment  (Read 15549 times)

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
  • Wearing my tightest pants, because it's midnite!
Sell Me On A House Regiment
« on: 07 June 2012, 14:19:41 »
I'm looking to get into a new House Regiment so I'm going to ask y'all. What regiment should I join regardless of House? I'll take any and all suggestions that tout said regiment and perhaps the military of the House it belongs to. Sorry Mercs but I want a House regiment and not a Merc unit, regardless of how close their relationship is to said House. Any time frame will do as well. SO SELL ME ON A REGIMENT!

fltadm

• Captain
Re: Sell Me On A House Regiment
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2012, 14:59:38 »
The Davion Assault Guards.  All the Big Stompy Goodness of the LCAF, with none of the Social Generals
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2012, 15:01:29 »
8th Orloff Grenadiers: Scourge of the Periphery

This unit is famous (or better say "infamous") for a great amount of collateral damage it inevitably follows in short time whenever and wherever the Eight Orloff Grenadiers are deployed. Sometimes even the possibility of getting visited by them makes the planetary government to sue for peace. They deliver "frontier justice" to pirates, if needed.

The attached mercenary company The Bashi-Bazook suitably complements the regiment because these mercenaries behave exactly as their medieval namesakes.

They are above-average unit, but not a super-special-fiat one.

Plus, Grenadiers have got cool regimental insignia.

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2012, 15:08:39 »
Any of House Kurita's Ryuken regiments. Great backstory with their feud/friendship with Wolf's Dragoons, respected and fearsome warriors (but who also question the inflexibilty of the samurai code) and you can field them through the Succession Wars, the Clan Invasion and the Jihad. Who wouldn't respect a force that's fought the Dragoons, the Smoke Jaguars, and the Word of Blake?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2012, 15:45:55 »
6th Marik Militia
Because everybody looks good in purple.  Even overweight 'mechs.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2012, 16:01:35 »
4th Tau Ceti Rangers: Sure they used to be mercs, but now they're members of the Citizens' Honored and a well equipped (A rating with 80% upgrades per FM:3085) independent unit. Stealth 'mechs are a lot of fun and I generally like the selection of units afforded the CCAF by the MUL and FM:3085 RATs. They don't just have 'mechs but a company of armor and an ASF wing too. They've a long and storied history and really seem ready and willing to fight anyone. Finally, they've a good looking easy to do paint scheme.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Prydefalcn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2012, 16:22:47 »
I saw the title of this thread and my first thought went to the 8th Orloff Grenadiers.  Looks like I was beaten to it!
Saunders Von Jankmon/Jeremy Orloff

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2012, 16:35:34 »
You can't beat the 2nd Oriente Hussars.  After all no other unit uses pocketknives to eliminate enemy Mech formations.   ;D
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2012, 18:52:03 »
6th Lyran Guards!

Pushing the limits on and off the battlefield!

A regiment which does it all: long raiding, assault missions, and gets out of its mechs and into the mud and dirt to help the goodcitizens rebuild Donegal and bring them a better Christmas than they could have hoped for after the Blakist occupation.

Regimental Special Ability gives you Edge Points!
« Last Edit: 07 June 2012, 20:06:31 by Top Sergeant »
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Aldous

« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2012, 19:05:27 »
Warrior House Dai Da Chi focuses on military excellence to the exclusion of all else. Morality is for wimps and ethics are for chumps. Winning is all.

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2012, 06:39:27 »
The Assault Guards and Dai Da Chi already have my 'backing' if you will. I'm looking for something different than my normal leaning towards units/factions that prize military excellence. Ironically that leaning has yet to include Kurita  ???

The 6th Lyran Guards and 2nd Oriente Hussars have caught my eye before with their unit emblems. The 8th Orloff Grenadiers seem interesting as well.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2012, 06:42:03 »
Don't want a shiny unit that can be used in every scenario vs every other house unit?
Go with the Skye Jaeger there is no other unit that has seen so much war - if you take into consideration how long the unit exist.
in 85 the unit existed for about 25 years and has seen war in 22 of them.
Virtually destroyed several times with great actions...but after all it is still a regular unit - but thanks to its Regimental Abillity you can press hard.

Last not least it has the best looking color scheme. 

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2012, 07:00:11 »
I always got a kick out of the 25th Marik Militia. Something about the concept of the unit just appeals to me. They bring home all the diversity of the Free Worlds League into one little unit and really emphasise its ideal of tolerance. And you get to match the Word of Blake word-for-word and battle-cry-for-battle-cry when it comes to fanaticism.

That said, the best unit in the Inner Sphere is the 22nd Avalon Hussars. I have no real reason or argument why, but it's true. :)

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2012, 07:11:05 »
None, I would not join a specific regiment.  It will just get destroyed and you will be looking for a new one.  Support a faction or go Factionless, but dont go becuase a specific unit. 

If you want to join a regiment though, pick it based on the following factors:

1)  Do you like its paint scheme.
2)  Do you like its emblem/Regimental Crest.
3)  And most importantly, do you like the Battlemechs and Vehicles the faction in question commonly fields.

In the end, your playing it in a game, and if you like all 3 of the above then you will be most satisfied using it.  People can tray and sell you a regiment all year long, but in the end only you can answer the most important questions that need to be answered.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2012, 07:19:03 by Devens »

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2012, 07:23:43 »
The Assault Guards and Dai Da Chi already have my 'backing' if you will. I'm looking for something different than my normal leaning towards units/factions that prize military excellence. Ironically that leaning has yet to include Kurita  ???

The 6th Lyran Guards and 2nd Oriente Hussars have caught my eye before with their unit emblems. The 8th Orloff Grenadiers seem interesting as well.

What regiemnts already have your backing?  If its just Davion Assualt Guards amd Dai Da Chi then I would go Marik or Kurita to open up another faction and provide an opforce for it.  I love my 6th Lyran Guards but if you dont have a viable opposing force then it makes less sense.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2012, 07:39:24 »
6th Lyran Guards!

Pushing the limits on and off the battlefield!

A regiment which does it all: long raiding, assault missions, and gets out of its mechs and into the mud and dirt to help the goodcitizens rebuild Donegal and bring them a better Christmas than they could have hoped for after the Blakist occupation.

Regimental Special Ability gives you Edge Points!

Most importantly, you can and cheesecake pin ups on your mechs, because they are extra saucy!
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2012, 12:15:11 »
12th Atrean Dragoons.

The Atrean Dragoons in general get to cherry-pick from the FWL's academies, so they get some of the best and brightest. We know that the Dragoons internal traditions don't favor newcomers and so most soldiers serve less than 5 years in the unit. I've long translated this to mean the unit works a little like a biker gang or a fraternity. If you do the time and put forth the energy, you become truly part of the club for life and get some perks that the new kids don't. For some reason this appeals to me.

Some of the FWLM's best (or at least most advertised) leaders have come through the 12th. Julian Langsdorf, Kelian Brackey (later a Republic Paladin), Christian Hampton (he was sleeping with Alys Rousset-Marik and the father of her children).

The unit was featured in the novel Price of Glory, involved in that now infamous part of history that led to the discovery of the Helm memory core by the Gray Death Legion. I have not read this novel yet (I just ordered it off Amazon actually...). So I'm not sure if reading it will change my views on the unit or not, but I remain optimistic.

Despite being one of the most active and prestigious units, the 12th has a checkered history. They fought on the losing side in Anton's Revolt and the decision to rebuild them was highly controversial. That adds some flavor and dimension to their long history.

The 12th have a cool paint scheme, a cool crossed sabers crest that I can imagine hanging over the fireplace at some regimental headquarters or museum, and are definitely one of the most active units in the FWLM. Even during the relatively quiet years of 3045-3066, the unit saw action in the late 3040s on the eve of the Clan invasion, and was heavily involved in one of the most dramatic battles of Operation Guerrero. Later they played a big role in the Jihad, liberating Sandhurst on Terra from the Blakists. The 12th Atrean Dragoons definitely seem to be one one of the "favorite" units of the god-like writers who craft the canon storyline.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2012, 12:20:02 by Alan Grant »

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 08 June 2012, 20:05:15 »
1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry.

This is an elite mobile warfare regiment used for lightning raids and flanking attacks. This unit always stays on the offensive and can seize the initiative at will. A unit which is filled with top-notch pilots, fast cavalry mechs and support hovercraft. Also, their aerospace wing is made up of mostly heavy and assault class fighters for maximum fire coverage.

Since it's creation somewhere around 3000, this unit has consistently raided the Cap Con and has also cut its teeth against the Smoke Jaguars during Op. Bulldog. During the FCCW, the unit CO General Chapman consistently led the 1st FSAC to victory on several planets and was a key component in the defeat of the Katherine loyalist on Kathil. During the Jihad, the unit stayed to protect the FedSuns border and only got defeated through the use of a Blakist nuclear device. The unit has since been rebuilt to full strength and can still be used during the Dark Ages.

« Last Edit: 08 June 2012, 21:30:40 by FedSunsBorn »
Made by HikageMaru

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 08 June 2012, 21:06:51 »
Don't want a shiny unit that can be used in every scenario vs every other house unit?
Go with the Skye Jaeger there is no other unit that has seen so much war - if you take into consideration how long the unit exist.
in 85 the unit existed for about 25 years and has seen war in 22 of them.
Virtually destroyed several times with great actions...but after all it is still a regular unit - but thanks to its Regimental Abillity you can press hard.

Last not least it has the best looking color scheme.

Like the Jaegers, hate hate hate the paintscheme. ;)

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #19 on: 08 June 2012, 21:14:05 »
I suggest Roman's Mounted Fusiliers of the CCAF.  Because when you raid enemy worlds for alcohol, and also hold victory parties involving one of your 'Mechs shotput-tossing the enemy CO's car, you know you're in good company.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 09 June 2012, 08:26:09 »
May i suggest the Atrean Hussars, whilst they have only ever been rated as Regular from 3025-3085 they have defended the Free Worlds League against all comers.

They were formed late in the 3rd succession war by Captain-General Stephen Marik with captured Capellan equipment as a snub to parliment; Captain-General Janos Marik served as an officer within the Regiment.

Whilst they may not have the greatest of reputations they contine to serve the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth as the lead Regiment of the defensive brigade of the AMSC.

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 11 June 2012, 00:49:39 »
Though dead at the end of the Jihad, I would say the 12th Deneb Light Cavalry.

They are a constant underdog in every war. Getting their asses handed to them and dragging their opponents down with them. Only for the remaining scraps to crawl back and rebuild themselves for the next big brawl. Their unit insignia is blood red in rememberence of the fallen members of the unit.

With the Deneb Light Cavalry gifted to the Republic of the Sphere, it's up to them if they are to reactivate the 12th. And following Fortress Republic the FedSuns do retake Deneb Kaitos, so if they haven't been rebuild by then and the other DLC are loyal, it's up to them to reactivate the unit.

As a result of being beaten up all the time their units tend to be from lower down the supply chain or battlefield salvage. So a fun unit to play if you already play with units that tend to use the A-list equipment their house has to offer.

And best of all, back in Field Manual: Federated Suns, their unit abillity was low altitude drops from hovering dropships. So if you like to pretend a unit to be a future successor to the Parachute Regiment and play Ride of the Valkyries as you make an attack, they are right for you.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #22 on: 11 June 2012, 01:08:18 »
Like the Jaegers, hate hate hate the paintscheme. ;)

No pain no gain  ;D

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 11 June 2012, 10:52:05 »
With the Deneb Light Cavalry gifted to the Republic of the Sphere, it's up to them if they are to reactivate the 12th. And following Fortress Republic the FedSuns do retake Deneb Kaitos, so if they haven't been rebuild by then and the other DLC are loyal, it's up to them to reactivate the unit.
As the  Republic disbanded the 4th and 8th DLC, there will be no reactivation of the 12th by the Republic.
And to be honest I'd it more consider likely, that House Davion will rebuild or build-up respectively the other brigades.

I have a soft spot for the 33rd Avalon Hussars. the regiment, that won't die. Until the Clan invasion, at least.  ;)
A heavy regiment with an extra assault batalion.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #24 on: 12 June 2012, 06:27:12 »
Davion more likely would reform the two defunct (currently) Crucis Lancers Regiments, then perhaps
other storied traditional units.  I very much doubt we'd go to that level of fuss for the DLC any longer.

Oh and my vote goes for either the 42nd Avalon Hussars.....or the Assault Guards.  There's a moment
in the Isle of the Blessed story, where the DAG just prove one more time exactly how mean they can be.

As for the 42nd, it's almost a parent of most of the other Avalon Hussars Brigade.  It's not the oldest unit, being
reformed by a merger of two other commands in the 3020s.  But it survived the Jihad in good order, and also fields
a majority heavy force....if you like that kind of thing hehe.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 12 June 2012, 12:13:43 »
Another one to consider would be the 1st Kearny Highlanders, a unit with a solid military tradition who servered the Capellan Confederation as a house unit through the first three succession wars, defected to House Davion during the 4th war and then served them unit 3057 when they become proper mercs until the jihad, during the jihad they start following Stone becoming a house unit of the Republic.

So you've got a solid military history along with some dodgy moments.

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 13 June 2012, 09:45:19 »
Why in the WORLD would Davion just hand over the DLC to the Republic? "Yeah, we know we're hurting for troops and can't defend our borders adequately but hell, have an entire brigade of troops on us regardless." It's nonsense like that that makes me hate the Dark Age and everything associated with it.

As for the Avalon Hussars and other FedSuns units. Thanks for the suggestions but I'm trying to find a unit that isn't associated with my third favorite faction.

Weren't the Atrean Hussars the ones that destroyed three regiments, including a FWG regiment, during an exercise?

Roman's Mounted Fusiliers sounds excellent but I'm not ready to decide just yet. I would like more suggestions please.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #27 on: 13 June 2012, 10:25:11 »
Why in the WORLD would Davion just hand over the DLC to the Republic? "Yeah, we know we're hurting for troops and can't defend our borders adequately but hell, have an entire brigade of troops on us regardless." It's nonsense like that that makes me hate the Dark Age and everything associated with it.

Well, if I'm remembering FR: AFFS correctly, the Deneb Light Cavalry wasn't being regarded too fondly by AFFS High Command after the Civil War, and during the Jihad those relations only degraded further, as the AFFS focused on supplying and supporting units with better established loyalties.  By the end of the conflict, the DLC was disgusted enough with House Davion to be on the verge of mutiny.  Rather than deal with them, House Davion simply "gifted" them to the Republic.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 13 June 2012, 10:28:21 »
Weren't the Atrean Hussars the ones that destroyed three regiments, including a FWG regiment, during an exercise?

"... fought like demons."

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 13 June 2012, 10:46:52 »
Well, if I'm remembering FR: AFFS correctly, the Deneb Light Cavalry wasn't being regarded too fondly by AFFS High Command after the Civil War, and during the Jihad those relations only degraded further, as the AFFS focused on supplying and supporting units with better established loyalties.  By the end of the conflict, the DLC was disgusted enough with House Davion to be on the verge of mutiny.  Rather than deal with them, House Davion simply "gifted" them to the Republic.

What a waste of a good unit.