Author Topic: I Can't Believe Our Little Anime-Manga Thread Is This Popular!  (Read 158451 times)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
My apologies, Drop Bear, but I felt we needed a good parody title for this thread, and I haven't started it in years.  Let the anime/manga discussion continue!

P.P.S. - Nevermind, still works!
« Last Edit: 23 October 2012, 22:32:52 by MadCapellan »

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
Re: I Can't Believe Our Little Anime-Manga Thread Is This Popular!
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2012, 23:31:31 »
No Probs, I wanted to float a title for the new topic before the Mods closed the old one, in case some one had a better idea or didn't like what I came up with, and you have a highly serviceable and quite fun title for this iteration of the topic, so Good for You.

any way one of my SW games ended up going bust and the other folks are away on work trips, so for the time being my weekend game is T2K and my mid week game is C-Punk. our C-Punk crew of PC's is so Anime, all still being school aged so I thought I'd mention it hear, it's amusing I wanted to play a hard bitten P.I. walking the mean streets of 2020, instead I've got a Boy Genius Pre-Law student who works at a Girls School to pay his rent & food bills. he so sounds like an Anime character.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2012, 20:42:01 »
wait until he is thrown head long into a love octagon of some variety, then we can talk anime :D
 me, I'm currently sick in bed, but I have Holo the wise wolf to keep me company tonight. Tomorrow, Bamboo Blade
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2012, 22:32:41 »
Oooooh, Bamboo Blade!  Miyamiya is one of my favorite yanderes, probably right behind Ayase from Oreimo!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2012, 00:52:13 »
After the embarassing animation quality of last week's Hayate the Combat Butler: Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, I was about to give up on the series, but then, the animation quality surges back and we get thirty solid minutes of Nagi otaku-ing it up! 

Instant turnaround!  Woohoo! 

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2012, 01:57:45 »
I just finished ep.15 of Pumpkin Scissors. The Boys Anti-Tank Rifle in pistole form FTW
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2012, 03:25:50 »
Pumpkin Scissors FTW, this is one series that deserves so much more love than it gets, I wish they would do an other series, but i understand their are issues with the property, the Manga rocks just as much in it's own way and continues the story.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2012, 03:40:41 »
Oooooh, Bamboo Blade!  Miyamiya is one of my favorite yanderes, probably right behind Ayase from Oreimo!

Wait..there are more episodes of it? I thought it was one story-arc series...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2012, 11:41:19 »
I just finished ep.15 of Pumpkin Scissors. The Boys Anti-Tank Rifle in pistole form FTW

Yeah, Randall Oland is awesome.  The way he tears tanks apart is just awe-inspiring.  I ran with an avatar of him for a little while...

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2012, 11:42:10 »
Wait..there are more episodes of it? I thought it was one story-arc series...

The anime went 26 episodes.  Best I can tell, that's all there is.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2012, 13:05:49 »
I have watched that anime too. It can serve as inspiration for BattleTech RPG: world wrecked by wars and lost much of its technology.

As for the AT pistol, type kampfpistole to Google image search and see what that finds ;D
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2012, 12:12:35 »
The anime went 26 episodes.  Best I can tell, that's all there is.

Ah..good! I did see it all! Kinda wish there WAS more, though...

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2012, 14:31:56 »
I have watched that anime too. It can serve as inspiration for BattleTech RPG: world wrecked by wars and lost much of its technology.

As for the AT pistol, type kampfpistole to Google image search and see what that finds ;D

That probaly belongs on the Gun Geekery Thread
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2012, 15:58:55 »
So, has anyone else been watching Robotics;Notes?

It's the third adaptation of a Science Adventure VN from 5pb., following Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate. It's three episodes in so far, and it's pretty interesting; though I haven't seen the other two shows, so can't compare them at this point.

Actually, the island of Tanegashima has been playing up its own connection to the story; as the home of JAXA (and thus already featuring prominently in another currently-running series, Uchuu Kyoudai), and the site of Japan's first contact with the Portuguese (and European-style firearms, as shown at the Teppoukan museum), one hopes the series might go a little further in making the most of its chosen setting.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2012, 16:03:13 by Nerroth »

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2012, 22:11:11 »
Well for thoughs who want to know just how big that carrier is in Girls und Panzer, it's apparently 7.6km long (and ~900m tall and 1.1km at it's widest -sans antennas)!  :o

Information found in the linked image (can't get it to show), this was posed on another forum I go to (Spacebattles, this and the following info was posted their).
http://imgur.com/ZV7xN

If you look close enough their seems to be guns on the carrier, which by the size would make Gerald Bull look like an amateur...

Here's some interesting facts on the main group of girls (this is not in that image link).

Miho: birthday is the 23.10. favorite tank the PzKpfw II
Saori: birthday is the 22.6. favorite tank the M26 Pershing
Hana: birthday is the 16.12. favorite tank the Carro Veloce L3
Yukari: birthday is the 6.6. favorite tank the 7TP with twin tower, but also likes the Náhuel medium tank
Mako: birthday is the 1.9. favorite tank the Panzer V Panther

Note Yukaris picks are a Polish Tank, and a way out of left field tank that Argentina built! Hanas is a Prewar Italian tank

It would seem the girls share the following birthdays
Miho = Operation Lightfoot (Launched the Second Battle of El Alamein)
Saori = Operation Barbarossa (German invasion of Russia)
Hana = Operation Wacht am Rhein (Battle of the Bulge)
Yukari = Operation Overlord (D-Day, allied invasion of occupied France)
Mako = Operation Fall Weiss (Case White, German invasion of Poland)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2012, 22:21:24 »
Well for thoughs who want to know just how big that carrier is in Girls und Panzer, it's apparently 7.6km long (and ~900m tall and 1.1km at it's widest -sans antennas)!  :o

Information found in the linked image (can't get it to show), this was posed on another forum I go to (Spacebattles, this and the following info was posted their).

Does it explain where heck they got the such a oversize carrier from so they could build a town on it??
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 26 October 2012, 22:43:35 »
Does it explain where heck they got the such a oversize carrier from so they could build a town on it??

It's a silly fantasy universe where driving a tank is a girl's high school martial art, does it matter?

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 26 October 2012, 23:05:19 »

Project Habakkuk  the thing is made of newspaper and ice  :D (actually, considering the other odd details Nebfer pointed out, such as their birth dates, I wouldn't really be surprised if that was the case)
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #18 on: 26 October 2012, 23:58:26 »

If you look close enough their seems to be guns on the carrier, which by the size would make Gerald Bull look like an amateur...

Here's some interesting facts on the main group of girls (this is not in that image link).

Miho: birthday is the 23.10. favorite tank the PzKpfw II
Saori: birthday is the 22.6. favorite tank the M26 Pershing
Hana: birthday is the 16.12. favorite tank the Carro Veloce L3
Yukari: birthday is the 6.6. favorite tank the 7TP with twin tower, but also likes the Náhuel medium tank
Mako: birthday is the 1.9. favorite tank the Panzer V Panther

Note Yukaris picks are a Polish Tank, and a way out of left field tank that Argentina built! Hanas is a Prewar Italian tank

It would seem the girls share the following birthdays
Miho = Operation Lightfoot (Launched the Second Battle of El Alamein)
Saori = Operation Barbarossa (German invasion of Russia)
Hana = Operation Wacht am Rhein (Battle of the Bulge)
Yukari = Operation Overlord (D-Day, allied invasion of occupied France)
Mako = Operation Fall Weiss (Case White, German invasion of Poland)
Well that's a biiiiig ship. Hm Miho or Saori if only because of the tanks they like :)
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 27 October 2012, 00:00:39 »
Saori-chan is awesome, because she likes to talk big like she's a maneater and she's an adorable brand of spoiled.  She reminds me a lot of Sakurako from Yuruyuri.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #20 on: 27 October 2012, 08:16:53 »
It's a silly fantasy universe where driving a tank is a girl's high school martial art, does it matter?

Yes, Tankery is an elective!

Did you notice the other electives?

-Tea Ceremony
-Flower Arranging
-Long Sword
-Magic
-Ninja
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #21 on: 27 October 2012, 10:49:22 »
So I ended up watching Angelic Layer that works also as prequal series for Chobits and it takes place in same universe. It was little predictable "rookie reaching to the top"-story as it was always clear that protagonist would reach finals and face her mother but it was fun to watch dispite that. This was mostly becouse angelic fights were so interesting to watch but also becouse of emotional side of story. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #22 on: 27 October 2012, 11:29:46 »
Been watching Code Geass and enjoying it so much I haven't watched much else. Gotta get second season and OVAs! Two Special Edition OVAs... are those truncated versions of the series?

One thing hit my eye in episode 18: university student studies Uranium and talks about nuclear fission like it's only theory. Doesn't Code Geass universe have any nuclear fission tech?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #23 on: 27 October 2012, 11:38:23 »
Thats a good question. I don't actually remember that part but I would not be suprised if they didn't have those. After all we are talking about fictional alternative universe were things didn't go same way as they did in real world.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 27 October 2012, 16:42:38 »
Been watching Code Geass and enjoying it so much I haven't watched much else. Gotta get second season and OVAs!

Agreed!

Two Special Edition OVAs... are those truncated versions of the series?

I'm not quite sure which you are talking about.  The Akito the Exiled OVAs are an original side story, and Nunnally in Wonderland is pure fluff.  They may have done some summary OVAs, as it's Sunrise's MO, but I don't know of any for Code Geass.

One thing hit my eye in episode 18: university student studies Uranium and talks about nuclear fission like it's only theory. Doesn't Code Geass universe have any nuclear fission tech?

Nope!  World War II not happening does funny things to the Code Geass universe!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #25 on: 27 October 2012, 20:46:05 »
Nope!  World War II not happening does funny things to the Code Geass ANY universe!
Tell me about it.  The shredding of history that I did with my 'what happens if a nuclear excursion takes most of the very first reactor and most of the top nuclear physicists with it' thread really shocked me how much things change.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #26 on: 27 October 2012, 23:08:44 »
I'm not quite sure which you are talking about.  The Akito the Exiled OVAs are an original side story, and Nunnally in Wonderland is pure fluff.  They may have done some summary OVAs, as it's Sunrise's MO, but I don't know of any for Code Geass.
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Special Edition "Black Rebellion"
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 Special Edition "Zero Requiem"

Both 117 minutes long. Source

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 27 October 2012, 23:42:49 »
The problem with Alternate History Anime is that the creators never make a plausible change to the timeline- which why I found the world of Code Geass hard to swallow; I love the anime but wish the creators put a little more thought into the backstory.

Anyways, Disgaea- funny little series
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #28 on: 27 October 2012, 23:53:43 »
I'm watching Patlabor right now, seriosly watching it dubbed is a labor in identifing voice actors from other shows. Does give me a few ideas about terrain and scenarios though.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 28 October 2012, 00:13:12 »
I'm watching Patlabor right now, seriosly watching it dubbed is a labor in identifing voice actors from other shows. Does give me a few ideas about terrain and scenarios though.

Dubbed? People still watch shows dubbed? Crazy!

Register