Author Topic: What do you use for Infantry?  (Read 25534 times)

Lt_Jam

• Recruit
What do you use for Infantry?
« on: 11 November 2012, 12:22:50 »
This might be an obvious question to some, but how do you represent infantry in your Battletech games?  The only metal minis of infantry ive found besides the various flavors of battlearmor are some old davion and kurita figures.  Im looking to represent jump infantry, motorized etc.  Am I missing something?

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
Re: What do you use for Infantry?
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2012, 13:36:13 »
I use MechWarrior DA Clix infantry re-based, like so:

The new IWM infantry are larger than the old figures, and I think are probably compatible with the Clix figures too.
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2012, 13:46:16 »
This might be an obvious question to some, but how do you represent infantry in your Battletech games?  The only metal minis of infantry ive found besides the various flavors of battlearmor are some old davion and kurita figures.  Im looking to represent jump infantry, motorized etc.  Am I missing something?

Yep check the link up their. IWM now offers a dizzying and cheap array of infantry for BT.

My favorite is of course.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2012, 15:01:22 »
I just use a bunch of generic Cold War era minis.  A sticker on a toothpick like a flag with an alpha-numeric to match the record sheet.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Lt_Jam

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2012, 15:20:32 »
The rebased guys scale well with the non clicky mechs?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2012, 15:29:13 »
I too use DA infantry, but don't even bother rebasing them usually- the click base fits perfectly within a Battletech map hex. And with the vast variety of infantry types the game featured, combined with each one having several different colors to use, why bother with anything else?  O0
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2012, 17:41:04 »
I still use the Davion Infantry on a hex. Never bought the DA stuff, although I know have begun to use Davion SpecOps as infantry far more often.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2012, 18:17:04 »
The large number of different varieties, combined with their cheapness, make the DA infantry and BA something you should definitely consider.

A Lyran infantry company

Oriente Guards reinforced infantry company

Two of my generic forces engaging
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2012, 20:45:21 »
I use infantry from GHQ, then base them onto a quarter with some celluclay plopped on top.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2012, 06:53:28 »
I have used the Stargrunt infantry from Eureka Miniatures (Aussie company).  Have a heap of IWM inf (Heavy Jump and Fast Recon) to paint up.  There is also one Tau Zombie that turned up in my Heavy Jump order....possible proof that WoB infiltrated the clans!   :D

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2012, 21:54:19 »
i use the counters from Citytech for Infantry, mostly because Infantry can be base under base, when it comes to friendly or enemy units. mini-infantry are nice but mostly for miniatures rules, where playing realestate isn't as much a issue to game play as opposed to playing on Battletech map sheets/boards...
« Last Edit: 16 November 2012, 11:55:30 by pensiveswetness »

Schottenjaeger

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2012, 22:56:31 »
I use Micro Armor WWII Gurkhas mounted in sets of 2 on the plastic coins from the old WizKids Pirates constructible game. I also use DA battle armor, but unfortunately most of the larger armors (Fa Shih, Fenrir, Gnome) are the size of ProtoMechs, which makes it annoying to field both.
Standing proudly on other pilot's cockpits since 1997

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2012, 23:13:58 »
I use Micro Armor WWII Gurkhas mounted in sets of 2 on the plastic coins from the old WizKids Pirates constructible game. I also use DA battle armor, but unfortunately most of the larger armors (Fa Shih, Fenrir, Gnome) are the size of ProtoMechs, which makes it annoying to field both.

I haven't found the Gnomes to be too outsized - the Achileus and Longinus are too big, but yes, the Fah Shih is both bloated and grotesque. Fortunately, I figured out how to make better-scale Fah Shih out of Cavaliers (with a little help from Clan BA; fortunately I have large numbers of both) my Capellans can mine with pride ;) Home-made Fah Shih's to the left.

* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2012, 11:53:21 »
Derp

You sir, need to change your profile pic  O0 because i have that tatoo on the back of my left calf  ;D

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2012, 14:50:32 »
I also use DA infantry put on proper bases.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Schottenjaeger

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2012, 02:20:11 »
I haven't found the Gnomes to be too outsized - the Achileus and Longinus are too big, but yes, the Fah Shih is both bloated and grotesque. Fortunately, I figured out how to make better-scale Fah Shih out of Cavaliers (with a little help from Clan BA; fortunately I have large numbers of both) my Capellans can mine with pride ;) Home-made Fah Shih's to the left.
Interesting. I've still got a full Star's worth of Clan BA left over (Even the Blood Spirits can't bring themselves to use THAT many of the wretched things), so it might be worth my while to do some ripping. In fact, looking at them the body design is really similar. I've been using the Fa Shih (with a little carving) as a Hydra/Roc, to anchor my recon Point.
Give me an excuse to paint up some Caps, I suppose - I've been needing an OpFor for a while.

Oh, and I have a Star of the older Elementals, so the Gnome really stands out from them, much more than the Clan BA ever did. I can see it being less of a problem if you're using the new ones.
Standing proudly on other pilot's cockpits since 1997

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2012, 03:05:35 »
Or managed to get hold of the DA Elementals. I raided Troll and Toad a while back and got me enough to last for the immediate future ;)

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 26 November 2012, 00:15:30 »
I use the original Davion Jump Infantry but I do NOT base them .

I left them as they originally came with 3 infantry on a small ,strait,
rectangle that just holds the 3 .

On 3D terrain with buildings,trees,level changes,ETC  on 1.5 inch hexes
I've found it easier to just leave them on that original rectangle .

That way they'll still fit in a hex with a mech mini  or vehicle and a tree .

I don't base my vehicles for the same reason .

Some people I know use old Axis and Allies infantry for the job .

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #19 on: 26 November 2012, 03:00:25 »
i use GHQ Modern Israeli infantry i got in one of their sample packs. the Merkava MK.IV that came with it gets to play a Vedette on occasion. still trying to find a use for the M109 artillery vehicle, though i have plans to buy a few packs of M113 Zelda's to bolster the one i have and deploy a company of mechanized infantry. :)

the GHQ infantry are smaller than the current IWM stuff (closer ot the old ralpartha stuff actually, which i have a few of), but looks great. and i got a few sticks of infantry figures, enough to make almost a dozen bases of 3 infantry figures each. all rifleman though. (their infantry packs have about 4x that many, with more weapons options.)
« Last Edit: 26 November 2012, 03:13:56 by glitterboy2098 »

jbressel

• Warrant Officer
  • Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #20 on: 14 December 2014, 06:46:06 »
I use some epic 40k stuff, GHQ, davion infantry, and I'm experimenting with some other companies. Here's some size comparisons.

Saatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 14 December 2014, 07:48:51 »
I'm doing some substantial infantry work right now. Struggling with the differences in scale between infantry sculpts, ba sculpts and their transports. Vehicles are typically too small anyway in comparison, and the newer (better) infantry is a little larger. I typically will use the smallest (oldest) infantry if I'm putting it on a base with a mech or vehicle. But if it's a base of infantry alone, you can't beat the new sculpts for detail.

So, they're all representational, I guess. :) Although I might experiment with a DA plastic vehicle and see how that looks, scale wise, compared to the rest. I know Worktroll uses that method to good (and prolific!)effect.

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #22 on: 14 December 2014, 10:31:51 »
I use a mix of Z-scale train people, Kurita Infantry, GHQ vehicles and MW;DA units.
Here are some Z-scale train people.

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #23 on: 14 December 2014, 10:34:44 »
Here are the small sculpt Kurita infantry.

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #24 on: 14 December 2014, 10:39:14 »
GHQ Vehicles and a z-scale train person as motorized infantry.

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #25 on: 14 December 2014, 10:42:16 »
MW:DA infantry as (P)AL.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #26 on: 14 December 2014, 16:36:23 »
I bought a whole bunch from these folks:

http://www.pfc-cinc.com/solar_empire_marines.html

They are around the same size, and had all sorts, including dudes with Jet Packs (great for Jump Infantry), as well as some field gun types.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 14 December 2014, 17:24:24 »
Dropzone Commander infantry are also pretty good quality and of a good size.  They're roughly the size of the clickytech guys, and you get 30 at a time.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #28 on: 14 December 2014, 18:46:09 »
I use Davion/Kurita infantry as well as MWDA infantry.

I rarely put them on Hexbases but use Pennies instead.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 15 December 2014, 03:38:09 »
I use GHQ modern infantry for generic infantry with GHQ APC's for mechanised infantry.

Epic imperial guard bikes for motorized infantry and Ral Partha Davion/Kurita infantry for jump troops.
Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave!