Author Topic: IS 3067u 'Mech reviews  (Read 25604 times)

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
IS 3067u 'Mech reviews
« on: 08 December 2012, 17:07:21 »
Feel free to review/rate what you see/like/don't like.  I think I got everything right as far as what's "new."  Interested to see the highs and lows for this RS!  Careful with the Templars, there's only seven new ones...

RDG-3A Red Shift
LDT-X3 Brigand
LDT-X4 Brigand
ABS-4C Anubis
OSR-5D Osiris
RZK-10S Razorback
RZK-10T Razorback
GUR-6G Gurkha
GUR-8G Gurkha
STO-4C Stiletto

CMA-2K Chimera
SYU-6B Sha Yu
B3-HND Bloodhound
BLF-40 Blue Flame
HSN-10G Hellspawn
HSN-10SR Hellspawn
TSN-C3M Tessen
UZL-8S Uziel
CNS-TD9 Cronus
LGH-7W Lightray

AGS-5D Argus
AGS-6F Argus
NJT-4 Ninja-To
VR6-C Verfolger
VR6-T Verfolger
NDA-3S No-Dachi
WHF-4C White Flame
LHU-3L Lao Hu
LHU-4E Lao Hu
P1E Perseus
P1P Perseus
P1W Perseus
TNS-4T Thanatos
TNS-6S Thanatos

LGC-04-WVR Legacy
LGC-05 Legacy
TLR1-OD Templar
TLR1-OE Templar
TLR1-OD Templar
TLR1-OF Templar
TLR1-OG Templar
TLR1-OH Templar
TLR1-OI Templar
AKU-2X Akuma
AKU-2XK Akuma
SGT-9D Sagittaire
SGT-10X Sagittaire
FNR-5WB Fafnir
FNR-6U Fafnir
VGR-7U Vanquisher
VGR-7V Vanquisher

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
Re: IS 3067u 'Mech reviews
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2012, 17:48:29 »
I like the new Uziel a lot. Could only have been better if it was 9 IJJ and 7 Medium Lasers tied to an AES. ;)

The only thing I really dislike about the new Steiner Fafnir (6U) is that the designer could have done 99% the same thing by keeping the SFE, which would have made the mech more durable and much cheaper, while being more true to the original.
I also like the new Plasma Fafnir a lot. Hope to see a Steiner version with regular C3 some time soon (I actually designed that in SSW and tested it -> result: beast).
The rest I really don't care for.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2012, 18:27:35 »
Here's the ones i like O0

HSN-10G Hellspawn 5/5
VR6-C Verfolger 4.5/5
NDA-3S No-Dachi 4.5/5

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2012, 21:11:29 »
To rattle it off before I go into any detail, Argus, Verfolger, No-Dachi, Lao Hu, Akuma, Sagittaire, and Fafnir off the top of my head.

EDIT: As an FYI, I'm a proponent of 'Mech designs that either try to perform a variety of roles, break new ground on the extremes of an old concept, or attempt a completely new combat concept altogether.  Those are the ones that stand out to me.  Yeah.  I'm such a 'Mech hipster.  I like the 80-ton Striker and stuff.

For example, stuff like the Anubis ABS-4C, the Osiris OSR-5D, the Sha Yu SYU-6B, Hellspawn HSN-10G, Uziel UZL-8S, the Ninja-To NJT-4...while good designs, one can tell that their loadouts were something coming from a mile away.  MMLs are always extremely efficient for light 'Mechs, the Pack Hunter-wannabe was already perfected with the Blitzkrieg, and oh my froggy goodness, there are now a ridiculous amount of dual-Snub PPC designs to follow the Men Shen F.

Now the new Arguses, THOSE are interesting.  One is three-quarters of a Marauder -9M2 MASC'ing at almost twice the speed and sporting some fine assisted aim, and the other is a greater beater 'Mech with a positive TMM to dispose of into the nearest brawl-fest.

The Verfolger VR6-C is nice and balanced.  It's really a conservative players' 'Mech; decent fire support with a SRM barrage nobody would want to get close to.  The other one, the VR6-T? It has some shiny toys, but it can't cause a PSR with its two main weapons, and its job could be done with something a lot more focused, like a Wraith, or even the new Uziel UZL-8S in this record sheet pack.

The No-Dachi...remember what I said about extremes?  This variant does it.  More melee damage, PLUS more of an insult to the Dracs that made the base design!

The New Toy Lao Hu...kind of feels like the LRM10 is a big lump of dead weight.  It would do great amount of damage to vehicles and battle armor, though.  The Stealth Lao Hu I'd like to illustrate my reaction to with that one internet meme picture of a plastic liter-bottle being opened and a young gentleman looking up at the upper right hand corner of the frame.  It outguns Falconers while at the same time makes itself harder to hit.

Both new Akumas I like.  Finally a Drac 'Mech with Apollo to fix that totally undeserving +1 penalty inherent to MRMs.  Its other guns are nothing to sneeze at, either.  And THEN, there was.  The AS8-D killer.  Very interesting how it matches weapon damage with that other weapons-everywhere platform.

The Nightstar Sagittaire seems decent.  The IJJ Sagittaire is definitely more to my tastes, though.  Oh, the back-loving everyone will get!

I like both of the Fafnirs.  One is War Crime on Legs, and the other one does what the King Crab couldn't do, what the Nightstar NSR-9SS couldn't even do...though it does pay dearly in heat to do so.

Honorable mentions for me:

Sword Chimera: Why couldn't have this design been on a different 40-tonner, like say, something more humanoid...a Clint, or even a Vulcan?  It's just kind of off-putting to see a digitgrade-leg 'Mech try to swing around a sword.  Maybe that's part of its weaponry, the shock factor.

Tessen: It really did need another main gun.  The TAG tied into the C3M helps, too.

Perseus P1E is fluffy fun.  A shame about the one-shot SRM 6, though.  The P1P looks like it has the beginnings of a true Marik 'Mech, but the MRM-20 just reminds me of that one other 75-ton 'Mech from this TRO that failed to get better...ugh.

All in all decent, a little something for everyone I guess.  It almost seems like some of the vehicles and AeroSpace assets made my eyes pop out of their sockets more than the 'Mechs, though.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2012, 23:28:15 by Youngblood »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2012, 22:44:14 »
If I were to rate them....

RDS-3A Red Shift - ¤¤¤¤¤
LDT-X3 Brigand - ¤¤¤¤¤
LDT-X4 Brigand - ¤¤¤¤ (I don't understand TSM on something this small)
ABS-4C Anubis - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Previous Anubis suffered from a number of wierd afflictions.  Finally one that does what I want!)
OSR-5D Osiris - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (A Davion Hollander that jumps and avoids all the faults of the original?  Sweet!)
RZK-10S Razorback - ¤¤¤¤¤¤ (I like that it's got a lot of flexibility.  It's still a little immobile for my taste, though)
RZK-10T Razorback - ¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Saw it coming a mile away but I still like it!)
GUR-8G Gurkha - ¤¤¤¤¤
STO-4C Stiletto - ¤¤¤¤¤ (It does manage to feel just right, though)
CMA-2K Chimera - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (All I can say is pretty damn sweet!)
SYU-6B Sha Yu - ¤¤¤¤¤ (It was pretty obvious this was coming.  I miss my TAG)
B3-HND Bloodhound - ¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Somehow, I hate this significantly less than the original Bloodhound.  Maybe because it has a
     specific battlefield role, rather than just being a lame imitation of the lame Stealth.)
BLF-40 Blue Flame - ¤¤¤¤¤
HSN-10G Hellspawn - ¤¤¤¤¤ (It doesn't suck!)
HSN-10SR Hellspawn - ¤¤¤¤¤ (Call me crazy, but I'd rather field this than a Stealth any day).
TSN-C3M Tessen - ¤¤¤¤¤
UZL-8S Uziel - ¤¤¤¤ (Just not feeling the Uziel)
CNS-TD9 Cronus - ¤¤¤ (Way to gimmicky for me)
LGH-7W Lightray - ¤¤¤¤¤
AGS-5D Argus - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (THIS is what a 60 ton cavalry 'Mech should look like!)
AGS-6F Argus - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Nothing to hate about a fast AC/20.  House Davion's taking care of their Thunder-envy)
NJT-4 Ninjato - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (It's so simple, yet so brilliant.  I can't get over it, and I seldom play Drac!)
VR6-C Verfolger - ¤¤¤¤¤
VR6-T Verfolger - ¤¤¤¤ (I liked this better when it was an Enforcer variant).
NDA-3S Nodachi - ¤¤¤¤¤
WHF-4C White Flame - ¤¤¤¤¤
LHU-3L Lao Hu - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (I can't lie, I thought long and hard about doing this myself)
LHU-4E Lao Hu - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (+3 movement modifier+stealth modifier+dual headcappers+heatsinks all day long.)
P1E Perseus - ¤¤¤¤¤
P1P Perseus - ¤¤¤¤¤¤ (If only there were Apollo, I'd be really excited)
P1W Perseus - ¤¤¤¤ (I think this is trying to be too many things at once.  I don't need to mix guns like this on an Omni)
TNS-4T Thanatos - ¤¤ (Pretty much everything I didn't want to see happen to the Thanatos)
TNS-6S Thanatos - ¤¤¤ (Better, but even less of a Thanatos)
LGC-04-WVR Legacy - ¤¤¤¤ (The way it meshes with the image almost gets me over the gimmick.)
LGC-05 Legacy - ¤¤¤¤ (Too slow)
TLR1-OD Templar - ¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Honestly, not a bad little sniper!)
TLR1-OE Templar - ¤¤¤¤¤
TLR1-OF Templar - ¤¤¤¤¤
TLR1-OG Templar - ¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Ooooh!  An even better sniper!)
TLR1-OH Templar - ¤¤¤¤¤¤ (One extra point for using Apollo!  Thank you!)
TLR1-OI Templar - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Oh my.  The Templar finally got a scary config!)
AKU-2X Akuma - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Nice and solid, in a no-nonsense Drac fashion)
AKU-2XK Akuma - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Move over, AS8-D!)
SGT-9D Sagittaire - ¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Not what I expected, but it's pretty dependable)
SGT-10X Sagittaire - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Now this is more like it!)
FNR-5WB Fafnir - ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (This makes me laugh!)
FNR-6U Fafnir - ¤¤¤ (I liked this better when it was called the King Crab)
VGR-7U Vanquisher - ¤¤¤¤ (Seems like kind of a waste of 100 tons)
VGR-7V Vanquisher - ¤¤¤¤¤¤ (Dig the RAC/5s)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2012, 00:03:40 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2012, 01:25:04 »
If I were to rate them....

TLR1-OH Templar - ¤¤¤¤¤¤ (One extra point for using Apollo!  Thank you!)

You're welcome. But don't ignore the package. C3 slave and JJ are force multipliers, which mean this can play different roles in your C3 lance.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2012, 09:56:55 »
For example, stuff like the Anubis ABS-4C, the Osiris OSR-5D, the Sha Yu SYU-6B, Hellspawn HSN-10G, Uziel UZL-8S, the Ninja-To NJT-4...while good designs, one can tell that their loadouts were something coming from a mile away.  MMLs are always extremely efficient for light 'Mechs, the Pack Hunter-wannabe was already perfected with the Blitzkrieg, and oh my froggy goodness, there are now a ridiculous amount of dual-Snub PPC designs to follow the Men Shen F.
The Anubis was redesigned with the sole goal of matching the MWDA Anubis visually with forcing an armor increase to justify the cosmetic change. There was an alternate version but the missile count didn't match the mini.

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2012, 10:40:37 »
A noble purpose.  I wonder if that was the what the MML Hellspawn designer was thinking as well?

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2012, 11:24:48 »
A noble purpose.  I wonder if that was the what the MML Hellspawn designer was thinking as well?

Something rational by the looks of it.  It has armour.  Not really played with a lot of the newer jihad
tech, being somewhat rooted still in 3067.  The MMLs plus the armour look on paper to be a sweet
combination, and the light ppc adds some ranged options too.

I've become somewhat sick of gimmicky nonsense designs with IJJs bolted on everything, sometimes a
nice design like this reminds me there's hope.  But i digress, i'd certainly field one of these without any
hesitation.  A couple of these with some Dervish 9Ds.....oooh imagine what fun that could be.

The Hellspawn 10SR though, now i'll admit i'm a huge Stealth fan but this really does do what it's intended
to do.  Covers that mission role of a heavier scout, with some nice firepower.  The electronics are all there
and added to that it's an intelligent use of IJJs.  Truth be told i'd sooner field a Stealth 2D, but barring that
this makes for a great substitute/replacement.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2012, 11:30:02 by Rorke »
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2012, 13:20:09 »
That new no-dachi is a Lyran mech? It looks more WoB than Steiner.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2012, 14:08:52 »
Something rational by the looks of it.  It has armour.  Not really played with a lot of the newer jihad
tech, being somewhat rooted still in 3067.  The MMLs plus the armour look on paper to be a sweet
combination, and the light ppc adds some ranged options too.

Yes.  It's a symmetrical design that is nothing but an upgrade.  That's why I posted to the effect that it was predictable.

I've become somewhat sick of gimmicky nonsense designs with IJJs bolted on everything, sometimes a
nice design like this reminds me there's hope.  But i digress, i'd certainly field one of these without any
hesitation.  A couple of these with some Dervish 9Ds.....oooh imagine what fun that could be.

Every new toy will have its moment where it appears on everything.  However, it's how the loadouts of the new variants push the envelope of how well a concept can work that really makes me excited about new record sheets.  I'm not really interested in how "so-and-so faction can finally have a dual snub PPC-Tarcomped design too" as much as I am in things like why nobody's ever thought to canonize a 'Mech that can leap 210 meters and carry an Inner Sphere AC/20 firing Precision ammo.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #12 on: 09 December 2012, 14:25:21 »

Hm.. I tried to improve the mech without changing the feeling too much. The MMLs are here to improve the short range firepower. The catch is that the long range firepower was somehow decreased. I put a LPPC instead of a medium pulse laser to correct it. It has almost the same long range firepower and even better short range firepower.

Then I removed extra things (the ECM is nice to have, but with so little armor armor, it is a death sentence to get close to C3 nets) and I added LFF to make him more durable. It was meant to be an upgrade instead of a total reworking so I didn't change the jump jets placement, just removed one. I'm afraid this is one of the first mechs with mismatched jump jets.

I know this improved the mech but it didn't turn it into the finest mech out there. A twin large laser with MASC and more armor instead of LRM launchers and ECM would have been more interesting but munchy and not Hellspawn enough.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #13 on: 09 December 2012, 14:59:13 »
Well from my perspective you've improved an awful mech, into something valuable
and interesting.  Or in short, thanks.

"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2012, 15:25:17 »
That new no-dachi is a Lyran mech? It looks more WoB than Steiner.

Most Lyrams factories spent some time being indoctrinated to WoB style..
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2012, 15:58:42 »
Hm.. I tried to improve the mech without changing the feeling too much. The MMLs are here to improve the short range firepower. The catch is that the long range firepower was somehow decreased. I put a LPPC instead of a medium pulse laser to correct it. It has almost the same long range firepower and even better short range firepower.

Then I removed extra things (the ECM is nice to have, but with so little armor armor, it is a death sentence to get close to C3 nets) and I added LFF to make him more durable. It was meant to be an upgrade instead of a total reworking so I didn't change the jump jets placement, just removed one. I'm afraid this is one of the first mechs with mismatched jump jets.

I know this improved the mech but it didn't turn it into the finest mech out there. A twin large laser with MASC and more armor instead of LRM launchers and ECM would have been more interesting but munchy and not Hellspawn enough.

In that regard, it's good that the idea of the Hellspawn was improved upon.  My only issue with it was that only the most straight-forward approach to the upgrade was taken, and solely with the insertion of TechManual-sourced weapons and armor, no less.  Why couldn't it be more weird?!? :D

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2012, 16:23:52 »
In that regard, it's good that the idea of the Hellspawn was improved upon.  My only issue with it was that only the most straight-forward approach to the upgrade was taken, and solely with the insertion of TechManual-sourced weapons and armor, no less.  Why couldn't it be more weird?!? :D

To be fair, I have quite the opposite feeling about variants.  I like that when one picks an Archer or a Phoenix Hawk, one generally knows what they are getting, it's simply a matter of flavorful and regional variations.  Designs like the new Uziel or TDR-60-RLA Thunderbolt make me cringe, because they're so drastically different from what that chassis is known for.  I guess there's a bit for everyone.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2012, 16:34:06 by MadCapellan »

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 09 December 2012, 16:44:27 »
To be fair, I have quite the opposite feeling about variants.  I like that when one picks an Archer or a Phoenix Hawk, one generally knows what they are getting, it's simply a matter of flavorful and regional variations.  Designs like the new Uziel or TDR-60-RLA Thunderbolt make me cringe, because they're so drastically different from what that chassis is known for.  I guess there's a bit for everyone.

I didn't like the new Uziel either.  I have complicated tastes.  Part of that probably lends me to enjoy new heavy and assault unit designs more, simply because there's a higher capacity for more combinations of loadouts to experience.

I think we've discussed in the past about how the AS8-D is really one of those designs that has something for everyone like you say, as does the AKU-2XK now.  They really fit the concepts attached to their 'Mech names, yet are so complex and dynamic! (And slow.)

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #18 on: 09 December 2012, 18:20:41 »
RDS-3A Red Shift - It is a kind of obvious version, good, but does not really stand out.

LDT-X3 Brigand - Pirates mounting an XL engine? Sorry, I am not convinced. Also, the rule is "pillage, then burn", so I rather would have MGs to prevent the loot from burning.

LDT-X4 Brigand - Same problem with expensive light engine as above. Also, it pays too much BV for the TSM.

ABS-4C Anubis - It was kind of expected that someone would make this sooner or later. My only complaint is that it does not have room for alternate ammo types.

OSR-5D Osiris - As a mech, I like it. As the concept of turning a mech of one type, into a wholly different concept I dislike the idea.

RZK-10S Razorback - I like the concept, a lot. However, the compromises taken for it are a little too much for my taste.

RZK-10T Razorback - Looks like Bowie Industries want compete for the Hollander market share with this one.

GUR-6G Gurkha - A mid-range version of the Gurkha, nice, but does not really stand out.

GUR-8G Gurkha - I do not like that the version that finally got TSM replaces the Sword with a Retractable Blade.

STO-3C Stiletto - Combining the Streaks and the LRM into a MML launcher, to make room for dual ERMLs is a good idea. However, removing the ECM for making room for alternate ammo types, is a bit more non-obvious, so I am curious about exactly what type of alternate ammo the designers aimed for?

CMA-2K Chimera - Better than the GUR-8G, this design makes good sense.

SYU-6B Sha Yu - OK, it has snubbies, but it still runs hot.

B3-HND Bloodhound - Overkill against infantry, a bit too weak against mechs. I would rather replace one or two of those ER Flamers with more lasers.

BLF-40 Blue Flame - This mech makes the case of using LPPCs over ERLLs. The tarcomp does also reduce the minimum range issue. It is a design that at first glance does not stand out a special, but is quite clever in a low-key way.

HSN-10G Hellspawn - Nice side-grade. Very good as a complement to the ordinary version.

HSN-10SR Hellspawn - I would use a dedicated scout design, rather than doing a complete refit of a rare fire-support design.

TSN-C3M Tessen - Makes sense.

UZL-8S Uziel - It sure is a great mech, the problem is that there is so little common between this one and the rest of the variants. So, why is it called Uziel, and why is it not its own mech, instead of a variant?

CNS-TD9 Cronus - A madman's mech. Still, it is amusing, and there is method in the madness.

LGH-7W Lightray - I am not convinced about the MML on this design, especially since the price you pay is an XL gyro. I would rather have had a 6W with a snubbie.

AGS-5D Argus - Decent. I cannot really make myself sound enthusiastic about another HPPC mech.

AGS-6F Argus - Decent. I am a bit curious about how common it is. AC/20s are not all that popular in the Suns after all.

NJT-4 Ninja-To - Great design. Mix this in a lance with Grand Dragons.

VR6-C Verfolger - LB 10-X or 2xMML 9?, that is the question. It is really a good alternative to the original, while still maintaining its flavor.

VR6-T Verfolger - Now this one is interesting. Is it the first mech to mix a snubbie and a LPL? It keeps a lot of options for picking the engagement range, due to being very effective from 9 hexes inward.

NDA-3S No-Dachi - The 2KO got the No-Dachi right. This one improves the concept, adding an ECM suite and the madness that is
an TSM enhanced mace. 36 points of damage!

WHF-3C White Flame - This one has to be new due to the Plasma Rifle and HD gyro, even if it is missing from the OP's list. The Plasma Rifle variant makes good sense. I would rather have removed the AMS, than reduce the armor. The original had maxed armor, so the AMS made sense on it.

WHF-4C White Flame - Well, this is the snubbie variant, not much to say about it. It makes sense to mount the TAG on the version with the snubbie, since good stand-off range is useful on a priority target.

LHU-3L Lao Hu - RAC and Plasma Rifle is an interesting combo. Another first?

LHU-4E Lao Hu - Evil. It is head neutral as long as you do not fire the Rocket Launchers.

P1E Perseus - Wastes too much on one-shot stuff.

P1P Perseus - It is clearly made for closing in to close range. Still, I am not really happy with it. Too many questionable choices (MRM without C3, ERSLs) due to a desire to match the art.

P1W Perseus - Well, this one has at least enough ammo for the LB 20-X.

TNS-4T Thanatos - Throws away what made the Thanatos stand out, to turn it into just another Victor copy.

TNS-6S Thanatos - It can at least jump far enough. Still, I would have preferred if it had a 5/8/5 movement profile.

LGC-03 Legacy - Another Jihad era design, that is missing in the OP. Dual HPPCs, yawn. Predictable, decent, boring.

LGC-04-WVR Legacy - The name, oh please. Naming a mech after an unkillable comic-book character. As a mech I guess that the Legacy Wankerine is decent.

LGC-05 Legacy - No, just no. It wastes too much tonnage on sub-optimal choices. I suppose that it is intended to be a command mech, due to the focus on keeping mechs from coming too close, and improved survival.

TLR1-OD Templar - It is an interesting idea, that might just be worthwhile.

TLR1-OE Templar - A decent combo of C3 master and fire support.

TLR1-OF Templar - Why put a LGR on a config intended for broken terrain?

TLR1-OG Templar - A real extreme long-range fire support. Combine this one with a snubbie C3 spotter at range 7.

TLR1-OH Templar - Well, it is deadly if you have a C3 spotter in place, or you manages to close in. (I dislike the range brackets on the MRM more than the +1 to hit.)

TLR1-OI Templar - OK, it has managed to put three 15 point guns on a 85 ton chassis, which is a good achievement, and makes for a deadly mech.

AKU-2X Akuma - A more focused and polished version of the original.

AKU-2XK Akuma - Not bad either.

SGT-9D Sagittaire - Yes, it is easy to see that it is a Davion mech. More versatile than the original.

SGT-10X Sagittaire - I have hinted at it before, but now it is time to say it out: I am not impressed by the Medium VSPL, at all.

FNR-5WB Fafnir - Interesting.

FNR-6U Fafnir - Too much changes to turn it into a King-Crab wannabe. It would have been better if it followed the pattern of the rest of the Fafnir versions.

VQR-7U Vanquisher - Ah yes, a 100-ton scout mech. See the WoB fail at being Lyran.

VQR-7V Vanquisher - I guess that it works as a mid-range brawler.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #19 on: 09 December 2012, 18:28:17 »
WHF-3C White Flame - This one has to be new due to the Plasma Rifle and HD gyro, even if it is missing from the OP's list. The Plasma Rifle variant makes good sense. I would rather have removed the AMS, than reduce the armor. The original had maxed armor, so the AMS made sense on it.

LGC-03 Legacy - Another Jihad era design, that is missing in the OP. Dual HPPCs, yawn. Predictable, decent, boring.

Both designs aren't new. They were published on Battlecorps years ago.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #20 on: 09 December 2012, 19:34:38 »

Pair the Fafnir WB with the Vanquisher 7U and you've got the Urban Renewal Brute Squad.  :))

Seriously,  go take a look at the Remote Sensor rules and you'll see more of what this unit is designed to be.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #21 on: 09 December 2012, 23:29:07 »
Look'n feel, indeed …
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 10 December 2012, 14:53:46 »
I'm really pleased with this Record Sheets volume.  I know it had been in the works for quite some time, and it was definitely worth the wait.  It seems like there is something for everyone, and many designs get some much needed upgrades.  I'll touch on the variants that are near and dear to me or caught my attention, but there are many 3067 designs I've never used or encountered in the field.

RDG-3A Red Shift - I prefer the Red Shift as a non-C3i WoB 'mech, but this is a nice upgrade that turns it into a fast network scout with some punch.
GUR-6G Gurkha - Eh...I'm not really sure what this one accomplishes over the 2G and 4G.
GUR-8G Gurkha - Fantastic upgrade that looks to be built for the Shadow Divisions.  I'm looking forward to modding a miniature to represent it and using it to cause chaos at short range!

CMA-2K Chimera - This one is a radical change from the original.  Looks like a short range brute.
BLF-40 Blue Flame - Very happy to see this 'mech get a much needed upgrade.  I like the loadout. It has a much more defined role now and I would actually field one.
CNS-TD9 Cronus - Yikes. That thing is a brute at pointblank range and looks well equipped to get there!
LGH-6W Lightray - The Lightray is another WoB 'mech that I prefer without C3i.  This one runs too hot to be much use, the C3i is a waste.
LGH-7W Lightray - Much better use of C3i here.  Well designed as a heavily armored scout with solid short range punch.  Looking forward to fielding it.  It keeps the flavor of the rarely used 4Y model.

NJT-4 Ninja-To - Love it.  Very capable as the forward unit in a C3 network.
WHF-4C White Flame - Fantastic. This is the White Flame I want to field. Much better at short to mid range combat than the previous two models.
P1W Perseus - Interesting...definitely packs a punch.
TNS-4T Thanatos - I like seeing the MW4 versions canonized into the game!
TNS-6S Thanatos - Solid.  This variant looks like it would be fun to play.

LGC-03 Legacy - This is a nice upgrade.  I like fielding it for the increased speed and punch of the Heavy PPCs.  My only wish is that it traded the jump jets for heat sinks.
LGC-04-WVR Legacy - Extreme. This is just plain mean.  Looks like a ton of fun to play in a Shadow Division unit.  I've already got my plans together for modding a miniature to represent it  >:D
LGC-05 Legacy - Eh...strange.  I'd skip this one for the 01, 02, or 03 models.
AKU-2X Akuma - Very impressive upgrade of the Akuma.  This thing packs a wallop. (and can survive an ammo explosion!)
AKU-2XK Akuma - Equally impressive upgrade.  I love the varied heavy firepower it brings.
FNR-5WB Fafnir - I LOL'd at this one.  So excessive that it's just beautiful.
VGR-5V Vanquisher - I like the addition of the Heavy Gauss and Heavy Duty Gyro, but I don't understand why the Compact Engine.  It seems unnecessary and leaves the other weapons without enough heat sinks for continuous fire. (unless there is a fluff reason, such as leftover engines from Archangels or something, which I can dig)
VGR-7U Vanquisher - I love this one and can't wait to use it.  This thing will be a beast in an urban environment.  I love the dual Plasma Rifles and triple flamers.  The triple strength myomer and remote sensor dispenser are just the icing on the cake.
VGR-7V Vanquisher - This model is hardcore too.  I enjoy the amount of medium range firepower it offers.  Rotary Autocannons are fun and its nice to see them appearing on non-Davion designs.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2012, 15:11:42 by Corrinald »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 10 December 2012, 21:18:30 »
I like the adventurism in these designs.  Trying new things with old designs.   I've mentioned before, its too bad there no litte stick -notes like they had on older PDFs, which could mention what design intention/role was for so lessen questioning on why is way it is.

I can dig a flawed design.  As along its playable and not waste of BV.  Who knows, maybe when BV-NEXT comes out we won't have to worry about cost issues as much.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #24 on: 11 December 2012, 09:05:22 »

GUR-8G Gurkha - Fantastic upgrade that looks to be built for the Shadow Divisions.  I'm looking forward to modding a miniature to represent it and using it to cause chaos at short range!

That was exactly what I pitched it as when I submitted the design. I pitched it as a precursor to or something that would supplement the Celestials.  :)

Neufeld I know that you preferred a sword, but I wanted something that could
1. Close Fast (and could close even faster when it's TSM got heated up);
2. Use that additional speed to potentially get behind an enemy mech where its armor is weaker;
3. Use the mech-shiv and get a crit chance every time you use it and land a hit (if you are using the waaaay cooler Tac-Ops rules for the Retractable Blade and the blade does not break...)
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 11 December 2012, 09:26:15 »
RDG-3A Red Shift - I prefer the Red Shift as a non-C3i WoB 'mech, but this is a nice upgrade that turns it into a fast network scout with some punch.

Hard to get much more punch out of that frame without seriously compromising the speed of it or making it into some sort of Hussar knock-off.

Sustainable damage to weight ratio is pretty respectable.  O0
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #26 on: 11 December 2012, 12:54:33 »
Hard to get much more punch out of that frame without seriously compromising the speed of it or making it into some sort of Hussar knock-off.

Sustainable damage to weight ratio is pretty respectable.  O0

I love it. I was a fan of the Red Shift anyway, but this is improving on a damned good thing.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Freakin Ninja

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
« Reply #27 on: 11 December 2012, 13:11:10 »

The No-Dachi...remember what I said about extremes?  This variant does it.  More melee damage, PLUS more of an insult to the Dracs that made the base design!

I was giggling a bit as i designed it :) Chunga just shook his head sadly when i told him about it ;)  plus, i love a good melee weapon.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #28 on: 11 December 2012, 13:34:41 »
I was giggling a bit as i designed it :) Chunga just shook his head sadly when i told him about it ;)  plus, i love a good melee weapon.

Specifically, the push off-map is your favorite melee attack.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #29 on: 11 December 2012, 13:58:14 »
I'll admit that I cannot for the life of me remember why I put that iOS-6 into the Perseus-E. Aside from wanting to see if iOS launchers were sufficiently better than standard OSes as to be accepted(I share many people's views on standard OS launchers, but feel that iOS racks can have a valuable role), I guess that since the role of a command 'mech's guns is to remove the threat to said commander NOW, I figured that one-shot heavier firepower was better than sustained lower firepower. (The opposite is usually the case, I agree.) Also, I just love the flexibility inherent in all non-Streak missile racks due to ammo choices, so putting the iOS-6 instead of some lasers or something gives you more options to pack a few extra tricks up your sleeve.

...or I may have thought of this five minutes ago, and had something completely different in mind when I slapped that rack in. I honestly can't remember.

I do know that the above reasons are why I put the VGLs in there. Those were the second pieces of equipment I chose, after the command gear that is really the core of this 'mech. VGLs are just way too useful and flexible not to put on a unit like this.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Register