Author Topic: Fist Full of C-Bills - OOC Thread - Recruitment Closed  (Read 33543 times)

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Re: Fist Full of C-Bills - Recruitment thread (OOC)
« Reply #120 on: 07 January 2013, 15:48:15 »
I'll get my character up tonight.  Was thinking a Firestarter jock.

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #121 on: 07 January 2013, 16:06:10 »
Oooh, burny!
The artist formerly known as Big_Ken

"Ha. I was a charming man... Now I am an erudite and dangerous box!"

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: 07 January 2013, 16:36:25 »
Every unit needs a firebug...

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #123 on: 07 January 2013, 17:20:41 »
1: Is there still room for a light mech pilot?

2: How do you define "one, substantial post every week"?  Are you expecting 500 words?  1000?

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #124 on: 07 January 2013, 18:54:42 »
to me, that means 3-5 paragraph posting.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #125 on: 07 January 2013, 22:53:41 »
Name: John Hart
Call Sign: Torch
Unit Assignment: Stainless Chrome
Vehicle/Mech: FS9-H Firestarter
DOB: 6-30-3000
Nationality: FedSuns   
Home Planet: Conroe
Ethnic Background: Caucasian
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 170lb
Hair: brown
Eyes: blue
Major Identifying Marks: scar on the left eyebrow
Player: Ian Sharpe

Background: John Hart, only child of a Dispossessed Mechwarrior and her husband, hails from Conroe.  One of the first graduates of the Conroe Training Battalion, he saw action with the Chisholm Raiders against the Draconis Combine during the Fourth Succession War.  Assigned a Valkyrie, he managed to capture a Combine Firestarter for himself, thus ending his family's Dispossessed status, something he dreads.   

After the War, Hart was unable to take to a life of peace time soldiering.  Constantly bored, he became a troublemaker of repute in the Raiders, a difficult task.  Feeling it best that they part ways, the Raiders' CO had him re-assigned to the Bremond DMM.  A big fish in a small pond, Hart liked it at first, but grew restless again.  When his term with the AFFS was up, he decided to take his chances as a mercenary. 

In the cockpit, Hart is fairly professional.  He has the light mech jock's ego, but tempered with combat experience.  He's capable of leading a lance, but is also willing to be led by others.  He doesn't mind that he often plays a supporting role, scouting or taking care of infantry sweeps.  Outside the cockpit is a different story.  Hart has a chip on his shoulder about his pervious Dispossessed life, and his time in the 1st Conroe.  He idolises the 1st Kittery Training Battalion and Delta Company.  He's a casual smoker and drinker, rarely drunk. 

He doesn't wear a uniform that can be recognised, instead going with a mishmash of a hussar jacket from a noble's personal guard over a t-shirt and jeans.  He's ludicrously armed if allowed to be, carrying two small caliber autopistols and the cheap katana the Firestarter's former owner stashed in the cockpit.  Unfortunately, he's never used a sword in his life, and he's at best a fair shot. 

(Yes, think James Marsters from Torchwood as Captain John Hart, the char's looks are based entirely on him) :P

« Last Edit: 08 January 2013, 10:02:03 by Ian Sharpe »

codesurge

• Recruit
  • This space for rent.
« Reply #126 on: 08 January 2013, 02:36:48 »
After having lurked for so long, a revival of a MNL-style board RPG has me posting again!

I may have issues with being able to post at a regular pace once grad school coursework kicks in again, but I have an idea for a character whose background/role/equipment would allow for more of a support role and less frontline action. Am also more than willing to work with anybody else who'd want to use the character as part of their subplots. Think we could make that work? :)
"To find out more about the military lifestyle, the producers sent us off to join a mercenary unit. I mean, how hard can it be?" - Unknown

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #127 on: 08 January 2013, 05:09:27 »
@Warclaw - By substantial I mean something that activly moves the story of the unit or the character along. Back when the MNL died we had a lot of people who'd post 1-2 line posts every other week that did nothing other than hold their slot in the unit.

There should be space for a light mech pilot. I'll confirm once i've had a re-jig of the TOE later today.

@CS, more than welcome.

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #128 on: 08 January 2013, 05:25:54 »
Ok, The current breakdown of mech assets is

1 mech of 6/9/0 move profile
1 mechs of 6/9/6 move profile
2 mechs of 5/8/5 move profile
1 mechs of 5/8/0 move profile
3 mechs of 4/6/0 move profile

So, right now we can do a fast lance and a heavy lance or we can split down into smaller units based around rough movement profiles. (a heavy lance, a fast lance and a jumping lance)

« Last Edit: 08 January 2013, 05:32:55 by Malich »

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #129 on: 08 January 2013, 06:56:12 »
If there's room for one more I've an idea for a blonde bombshell Lyran (always wanted to play one) general mech-tech with a taste for social-politics busy forming in my head... (She has a few ballroom gowns she's acquired over the years from various social-generals, but not all of them were gifts)

Is there room for her?

I'm an experienced roleplayer but have never RP'd online or in the BT setting but am keen to try please?
"Man shouldn't have to live by carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." - Spike Spiegal

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #130 on: 08 January 2013, 06:59:21 »
yep, there's always space for one more.

And don't worry, there's always something new to learn, experience is not necessary here :)

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #131 on: 08 January 2013, 07:04:37 »
Sweet! Thanks. I'll but a bio up when the character finishes forming.
"Man shouldn't have to live by carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." - Spike Spiegal

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #132 on: 08 January 2013, 07:12:01 »
you've got a week or so before i'm going to start really pushing things forward

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #133 on: 08 January 2013, 07:14:36 »
Understood. I should have her ready later today, tomorrow at the latest.

(My bad. I didn't mean that long  ::) )

Latro

• Sergeant
  • I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work.
« Reply #134 on: 08 January 2013, 07:52:03 »
I personally prefer breaking things down by movement profiles but whatever fits best for the number of PCs we end up with.

Will you round out the unit with NPC mech jocks & tankers?
time is meaningless, and yet it is all that exists...

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #135 on: 08 January 2013, 08:01:51 »
Not intially

We'll work with short lances to free up space for new players after FFOCBs finishes.

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #136 on: 08 January 2013, 08:14:49 »
We're at 13 players now (14 if you include me) I am waiting on characters from ColonelCody, CodeSurge and SethsMatches.

Recruitment is still open, but i might be considering closing it for MechJocks. We're close to capacity on the DS and we're not going to have space for all that lovely loot ;)

Latro

• Sergeant
« Reply #137 on: 08 January 2013, 09:50:49 »
I'm looking ti post something later this afternoon...

Character development -Wooo!

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #138 on: 08 January 2013, 10:03:11 »
If I need to make any changes, please LMK.  If not, I'll try for a post in the background thread at lunch or tonight.

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #139 on: 08 January 2013, 10:43:36 »
@ Latro - WOO!

@ Ian Sharpe - That looks fine!

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #140 on: 08 January 2013, 11:46:27 »
Name: Kiva Marsden
Call Sign: Bombshell
Unit Assignment: Stainless Chrome
Vehicle/Mech: “What’ve you broken now? Oh? Really? This should be fun!”
DOB: 5 Sept 3007
Nationality: Lyran
Home Planet: Coventry
Ethnic Background: Caucasian
Height: 5'2"
Weight: None of your business
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Emerald Green
Major Identifying Marks: Besides her figure and long blonde hair, blue overalls emblazoned with patches from several Lyran AFFC units – such as the 26th Lyran Guards.
Player: Sethsmatches

Born on Coventry to a family of modest but capable means Kiva first got introduced to the innards of a ‘mech when her mother took her to a ‘bring your child to work day’ at one of Coventry Metalworks maintenance depots. Being an energetic child Kiva was soon helping the other techs by fetching and carrying various tools and small parts all over the hangar. Her obvious interest and parents’ limited means also meant that her family could save on babysitting by leaving her and her younger siblings with whatever team was pulling the late shift when they took a special night out, which gave extra opportunity to explore the innards of these behemoths (Being small enough to actually crawl around inside a ‘mech has also given Kiva insights into the inner workings of a ‘mech that few techs possess)

Babysitting eventually progressed to holiday work and finally an internship and qualification as a Mech-Tech from Coventry Metalworks as Kiva grew to womanhood.

Being at Coventry Metalworks also had other advantages. In 3026 the head of the depot retired and asked Kiva if she would be his partner at his retirement ball. This led to the discovery of Kiva’s other passions of Ballroom dancing, particularly Waltz and Slow-Foxtrot, and the trappings and social minefields of the ‘high-life’.

With the build-up and coming of the Fourth Succession War patriotism, the chance to travel, lucrative earnings and the chance to work on real battle damage made it a simple choice to volunteer – many of the officers were cute too in their uniforms.

While not a fan of being involved in direct combat Kiva’s record does show some commendations for the display of both ‘courage’ and ‘resolve’ while performing her duties under fire.

Working on the Drac front has also given Kiva a functional understanding of Japanese spoken in the Combine.

Upon joining a new depot news of her dancing skills, and looks, often meant that officers seeking to show off their dancing prowess, obviously, would invite her to the various social engagements required of Lyran officers. This allowed her to keep dancing and acquire a small but lovely set of ball gowns and the occasional piece of jewellery. Problems would arise when her partners wanted them back again or sought to take their relationship to the ‘next level’ though.
The possibility of ‘scandal’ involving a ‘mere mech-tech’ usually made it easy to secure a transfer to a new depot when it became necessary to part ways from certain admirers.

Her latest escapades have left her needing to resign from the AFFC and leave Lyran space though. Her last suitor wouldn't even take a portable Taser hint and was willing to bend the bureaucracy and risk scandal. Fortunately he wouldn't risk his career so he hasn't followed her.

While working her hair is pinned in a high messy bun with strands falling out that is placed under a 6th Lyran Guards beret that looks one size too big for her.

Overall, when working she displays a calm confidence built on a near lifetime of experience countered by the enthusiasm of getting a mech back in good working order, the first time. She displays a fiery streak when berating unlucky MechWarriors over the condition of their mechs though: “You’re wearing out the gyro bearings again?! I told you last time to run her for ten minutes before jumping to get the lubricants properly distributed!”

When she pulls out the stops and puts on one of her gowns and dancing shoes she’s a flirtatious terror of the floor: “Does your dancing skill also extend to other endeavours?”

Otherwise she’s personable but quickly tires of undesired attention.

« Last Edit: 09 January 2013, 03:15:44 by SethsMatches »

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #141 on: 08 January 2013, 12:02:00 »
Stephan Rojas has introduced most of his notable players.
Even with editting, it's still nearly 1300 words.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #142 on: 08 January 2013, 12:23:19 »
Actually, in terms of organisation i'm considering lances based around the need for a shift system when we get to idlewind. So i'm considering a heavy a medium and a light (effectively) in each lance to allow them to rotate and have a nice mixed back of speed and support if something were, heaven forbid, to happen :)

Latro

• Sergeant
« Reply #143 on: 08 January 2013, 14:54:25 »
...if something were, heaven forbid, to happen :)

Yes. Heaven forbid...

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #144 on: 08 January 2013, 14:55:33 »
Mwahahahahaha :)

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #145 on: 08 January 2013, 15:37:49 »
Ok, I've decided to go for lances organised as "Shifts" means i have a slot for maybe 1 more mech jock in a light jumping Mech.

Just for those of you still without character ideas :)

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #146 on: 08 January 2013, 15:46:23 »
As a side note

No-one currently knows this is a lostech expedition other than Mutt and Captain Steele. nor will any of you know until we have left the planet.

Until then it's an investigative expedition, If pressed for details Mutt will say you're looking to recover some missing items.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2013, 15:54:12 by Malich »

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #147 on: 08 January 2013, 15:58:27 »
I have modified my character back ground.

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #148 on: 08 January 2013, 16:04:18 »
Cool, cheers.

The advert just says expedition with recovered items. The interviews will give a few hints to it being a recovery mission, Mutt will try to make it sound like someone has gotten lost.

codesurge

• Recruit
  • This space for rent.
« Reply #149 on: 08 January 2013, 17:45:13 »
Name: Saori Blomqvist-Haruka
Call Sign: Highlight
Unit Assignment: N/A
Vehicle/Mech: WSP-105 Wasp LAM
DOB: 06-03-3008
Nationality: Draconis Combine
Home Planet: Rasalhague
Ethnic Background: Mixed Asian-Caucasian
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 125 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Hazel
Major Identifying Marks: None
Player: codesurge

Background:

Hailing from an affluent background, Saori Blomqvist-Haruka is not what you would consider a traditional MechWarrior. In fact, some would question whether she has earned the right to be called one, given her previous training as an AeroSpace pilot. Regardless, her relatively rare Wasp LAM, striking looks and love of social events helps distinguish her from the run-of-the-mill ‘Mech jock.

The daughter of a DCMS MechWarrior father and a local Rasalhagian businesswoman, Saori and her elder brother Takuma were brought up in a traditional military household, with a view to carrying on the family’s military heritage. However, she was never particularly driven and her younger days as a debutante in Rasalhague’s party circles threatened to derail her education at the prestigious Rasalhague Military Academy. Relying on her networking skills rather than her innate piloting ability to get her through the Academy, she scraped through AeroSpace pilot training with a passing grade.

Matters came to a head shortly after Saori’s graduation when she was assigned to the Rasalhague Regulars. Within a year of her posting, rumors began floating through the unit of an illicit affair between her and the unit’s commanding officer. Investigations were duly carried out and though the accusations were never proven, the subsequent fallout saw her discharged from the DCMS.

Disappointed and disgusted with what he perceived as being a slight on the family honor, Saori’s father swiftly disowned her and banished her from the household. With little more than her basic belongings, Saori was blessed with a stroke of fortune when she visited her maternal grandmother on Trondheim. An accomplished MechWarrior in her day, Sabine Blomqvist bequeathed her own well-traveled Wasp LAM and some financial resources to her granddaughter with the simple remark, “find your own path”.

That path has since forced Saori to pursue a new career as a solo pilot-for-hire. Her formal training as a pilot combined with the low firepower of her ‘Mech has caused her to take up mostly reconnaissance missions, with the occasional job of delivering supplies to high-risk locations. Wherever she goes, she is never far from the social high life and has often used her liaisons there to acquire much-needed contracts and equipment.

A recent job from a mining company to survey outlying lands for possible mineral deposits has landed her on Fallon II, where she seeks to find her next paying gig.

BattleMech:

WSP-105 Wasp LAM (Serial Number SL298-14R)

Painted in flat silver with red highlights, Saori’s Wasp LAM is a relatively rare specimen and is currently kept in workable if not fully functional condition. Saori has spent most of her limited resources keeping the LAM’s conversion equipment operational and has been unable to purchase ammunition for her ‘Mech’s SRM launcher, leaving her with a sole medium laser. However, that laser has recently started misfiring; a possible lens alignment issue arising from a hard knock on Fallon II.

Her Wasp, which Saori has since nicknamed “Whisper”, is most often seen in AeroSpace fighter or AirMech mode as her lack of formal MechWarrior training makes her a liability when forced to use her ‘Mech’s BattleMech mode.

Sidenote: think of her as looking a little like Olivia Munn.. 
« Last Edit: 08 January 2013, 18:05:08 by codesurge »
"To find out more about the military lifestyle, the producers sent us off to join a mercenary unit. I mean, how hard can it be?" - Unknown

Register