Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: STG-**/IIC Stinger  (Read 28923 times)

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
Re: ’Mech of the Week: STG-**/IIC Stinger
« Reply #90 on: 19 May 2014, 15:59:11 »
my only issue with the IIC is that at it's armor levels losing a half to a ton somewhere would allowed it to pack a light active probe that would had helped it for it's scouting role to being able to add a second ap gauss and a light active probe for more firepower and improved scouting abilities or go for a full active probe.

or heck even add a Target comp for.

at it's 20 tonner armor levels getting hit generally means it's dead or effectively dead and gonna be dead soon anyways.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #91 on: 19 May 2014, 16:59:03 »
The IIC isn't a scout, it's a backstabber, like the classic Stinger

Nodachi

• Sergeant
« Reply #92 on: 19 May 2014, 17:09:03 »
the few Stingers that should up in the 3025 games I played in got abused by the light mechs we used. I do see the stock 3025 as a decent police mech. MGs for the peeps and the laser for the get away car.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #93 on: 19 May 2014, 17:26:34 »

I've always like the 3G Stinger in 3025 play as a scout-v-scout combat.  That second medium laser gives it better concentrated punch than the stock or the stock Wasp.  The jump mobility gives it an advantage over something like a Locust or a Commando.

Stingers aren't designed to be front combat units, but as scouts in the original setting they are very useful.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #94 on: 20 May 2014, 15:12:38 »
The IIC isn't a scout, it's a backstabber, like the classic Stinger

Exactly!
I put a lot of focus on that in the fluff. Especially when it came to the variant description and configuration.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #95 on: 02 June 2014, 23:29:43 »
I don't know, sounds like pretty standard Dresden Files fare to me. ;)

Are you thinking of Mab with the Saga-12?  'Cause Toot-Toot had been rocking the box knife for a while... and Mab would be pissed if you called her a faerie.

I've always like the 3G Stinger in 3025 play as a scout-v-scout combat.  That second medium laser gives it better concentrated punch than the stock or the stock Wasp.  The jump mobility gives it an advantage over something like a Locust or a Commando.

Stingers aren't designed to be front combat units, but as scouts in the original setting they are very useful.

I've always been fond of the STG-3G...except for its low head armor.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: 04 June 2014, 15:22:40 »
people are always trying to max out there forces and not taking in to account how desperate people were for mechs any mechs.  Stinger were easy to build and easy to maintain.  That one reason why there were produce in nearly every single house.  Stinger main function was that of a sentry.  It stand on an area you want to have mech sensors available to watch and to give out a warn when trouble comes calling.  If it engages an enemy then it did something wrong.  The weapons are just enough to discourage local rabble from trying to anything sneaking like setting a satchel charge on the ankles.  We can all name mechs that are better that cause the stinger, wasp and the locust are the bottom of the totem pole they make up for there lack of abilities with there bites.  Let face it someone has to be at the bottom.  The best 20 by the way is the solitaire.  I dare anyone ignore that mech for long. 

I always had an affection for the stinger ever since I read Trell 1 where a stinger karate chop another mech head off and while there may be better mech out there.  I will always sneak a stinger in my company somewhere just for kicks.  With a preference for the P series cause let face it if you want to sting what better way then a light ppc.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #97 on: 04 June 2014, 15:32:18 »
The best 20 by the way is the solitaire.  I dare anyone ignore that mech for long.

Well, you have to admit -- it's kind of easy to be the best 20-tonner when you're both a full-blooded Clan design and manage to sneak an extra five tons past the judges. :D

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #98 on: 04 June 2014, 16:48:09 »
Well, you have to admit -- it's kind of easy to be the best 20-tonner when you're both a full-blooded Clan design and manage to sneak an extra five tons past the judges. :D

hush.. for some reason I am thinking it 20tons not 25.. but what the heck hellion are sneaky like that

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #99 on: 04 June 2014, 23:53:56 »
Fire Moth G all the way

Fragger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #100 on: 05 June 2014, 02:16:57 »
Noooooooooooo, the best 20 ton mech is the Locust 6M!!! If speed is life then this thing is immortal!  :D