Author Topic: so, using the MML....  (Read 21302 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
so, using the MML....
« on: 11 March 2011, 03:38:18 »
So, here I am, looking at post-Civil War weapon systems, and I'm thinking about the MML.

It seems like a not-great deal on the MML-9 or -7; the best weight for value seems to be the MML-5, at just barely bigger than a LRM-5 and the same weight as a SRM-6, with the basic function of both.

Still, it seems like... not as good as either, unless you're seriously scrimped for space. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but what designs use the MML well?

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
Re: so, using the MML....
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2011, 03:55:39 »
The atlas, quickdraw, centurion,...to name a few...just about anything that carries lrms, imo.
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2011, 05:25:39 »
The MML is never as efficient as an LRM or an SRM in the role that those weapons fill.

But if you compare, say an MML 9(8 tons and 7 Crits with two tons of ammo or 9 tons and 8 crits with 3), to an SRM 6 and an LRM 10 (10 tons and 6 crits with a ton of ammo for each) you get a heck of a bargain. That said I like the MML as a replacement for "shoot in" weaponry (Like the Thunderbolts LRM 15) or on mixed missile boats (like the Crusader).

Two designs I'd look at are the Thunderbolt 11SE and the Crusader 7W. Neither is a favorite for everyone but I've found them both to be great both in a general case and, in the case of the Crusader, to have great bang for your buck.

It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
  • Snarky pedant, extraordinaire.
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2011, 05:28:19 »
Also a multi-role alternative to the SRM/LRM carriers and LRM variant Partisan- something with good bombardment ability with a shocking close-in punch, and the ammo to support.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2011, 08:14:25 »
They are good in refits for any unit with both SRMs and LRMs.  In custom designs, I use them often in Cavalry designs, or anything else that I expect to be in varying ranges with the enemy.  Also, they have great access to special ammunition.  My favorite is to use Follow-the-leader LRMs to punch holes in them, and then Tandem-Charge SRMs to chew them up.  They're the one example where a spheroid weapon mostly out-performs a Clan counterpart (ATMs, except for at extreme range and point-blank range). 
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Caturix

• Sergeant
  • Ex Astris, Scientia.
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2011, 08:49:45 »
My favorite is to use Follow-the-leader LRMs to punch holes in them, and then Tandem-Charge SRMs to chew them up.

I totally agree with that !! That's how I use it myself, when I'm allowed to use special ammo ;) !!

The Dervish 9 D (4 erMLs, 4 MMLs 5, 5/8/5) is great as a MML platform.
"The Mechwarrior formerly known as Stenka"

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2011, 09:34:04 »
the commando with the MML 7 is an amazing platform

I also like the new "Centurion Hawk) with MML7 jump jets and a plasma rifle
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2011, 09:44:49 »
What annoys me is that if you can build a MML-7 and an MML-9, you should also be able to build SRM-8s and maybe even SRM-10s. Where are they?

But yes, MMLs are replacements for units that use both SRMs and LRMs because you really can't use both at the same time anyway because of the LRM's minimum ranges. Consider

MML-5, 3 tons, 3 crits
LRM-5, 2 tons, 2 crits
SRM-4, 2 tons, 1 crit
SRM-6, 3 tons, 2 crits

No matter which LRM/SRM combo you use, the MML winds up saving you tonnage. My only gripe is that the tube count only goes up to 9 and no higher, so they're not really good as a whole sale replacement for one weapon type or the other.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2011, 10:03:47 »
Heavy MML carriers and the MML Moltke...nasty. Use them in large groups.

Mech wise, the best uses I've seen of MMLs are always when it replaces a LRM/SRM rack combo (Crusader, Thunderbolt, etc). You give up a few missiles, ideally get two MML racks, three tons of ammo, and all kinds of flexibility.

Though the one Crusader variant is an offender of a big pet peeve of mine, with two different sized sets of MML racks on the same design.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2011, 10:11:28 »
Heavy MML carriers and the MML Moltke...nasty. Use them in large groups.

Mech wise, the best uses I've seen of MMLs are always when it replaces a LRM/SRM rack combo (Crusader, Thunderbolt, etc). You give up a few missiles, ideally get two MML racks, three tons of ammo, and all kinds of flexibility.

Though the one Crusader variant is an offender of a big pet peeve of mine, with two different sized sets of MML racks on the same design.

Quote honestly, ANY mech that uses two different missile rack sizes for the SAME TYPE of missile bugs me like this. For some odd reason, the game does not permit them to use the same ammo bins despite them both supposedly using the same type of ammo. That means when you mount launchers with different tube counts you're forced to double up on ammo even when you don't really need to.

Wanderer

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2011, 10:37:14 »
If a Mech used LRMs and SRMs together, odds are you can put MML launchers on it and actually get superior performance, especially in the SRM end of things.

Say, swapping an Ostwar-3M's LRM 20 + SRM 4's for a trio of MML-7's.  The extra 13 SRM's tend to make a large impression on people. It even works on the smaller stuff like the Assassin. Combine it's launchers into an MML-5 and enjoy the extra SRM's being delivered.

I appreciate the MML, it's flexible and in many cases directly improves the performance on a lot of designs that were originally built to deliver a mixed missile payload.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2011, 11:07:39 »
I appreciate the MML, it's flexible and in many cases directly improves the performance on a lot of designs that were originally built to deliver a mixed missile payload.

Now... the only way to make them more perfect is get them the ability to use ELRMs, NLRMs, Clan LRMs, Streak systems...

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2011, 11:31:19 »
If a Mech used LRMs and SRMs together, odds are you can put MML launchers on it and actually get superior performance, especially in the SRM end of things.

Say, swapping an Ostwar-3M's LRM 20 + SRM 4's for a trio of MML-7's.  The extra 13 SRM's tend to make a large impression on people. It even works on the smaller stuff like the Assassin. Combine it's launchers into an MML-5 and enjoy the extra SRM's being delivered.

I love carrying Infernos in a unit with multiple MMLs - mixing them in with regular SRMs can give you a good advantage on the next turn as the enemy's slowed down and damaged...
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2011, 12:52:15 »

I believe the reasoning behind this was two fold:

1) To better emulate the original design's differing number of missiles per types of launcher per location.

2) To enable it to bring the most amount of missiles to bear on a target should it have to use just a single arm's launchers (for instance, with a torso twist). With a MML-7 and an ER Med, it could not force pilot checks. With a MML-9 and an ER Med, it at least has a chance at doing so, if the player is lucky enough to land 8 SRM's and the ER Med (and the Artemis system on all launchers makes this a better possibility)...

One of the biggest complaints I've always heard of the design was the number of tons of ammo provided to the launchers...of course, if one starts using specialty ammo, those extra tons come in handy...

;)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2011, 13:23:55 »
The other place I've found MMLs really great is on light Mechs previously mounting just LRMs or SRMs. All of a sudden, they gain heaps of flexibility, better able to take advantage of their speed at all ranges (rather than just medium/long). If you also choose to introduce them earlier in your home campaigns, they allow for some fantastic upgrades of Intro tech units without resorting to XLs/endo/double heat sinks. Ravens, Valkyries, Javelins, all great candidates.

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2011, 13:25:42 »

but there is always the possibility to engage with both LRM and SRM, and this change is 0,5t heavier (negliable, I admit) and more costly in terms of heat.

MMLs are great, but they could also be very fast inefficient. E.g. fire support mechs should retain their LRM, a MML is jsut wasteful.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2011, 13:28:45 »
The one thing you must remember, and TPTB sometimes forget, is when you put an MML on a 'Mech don't forget to leave room for two tons of ammo per launcher. You forget this, you've taken the 'Multi' out of the MML.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 11 March 2011, 14:45:05 »
The one thing you must remember, and TPTB sometimes forget, is when you put an MML on a 'Mech don't forget to leave room for two tons of ammo per launcher. You forget this, you've taken the 'Multi' out of the MML.

Not totally, it becomes something of a mini-Omni. You can tailor it for the fight, SRMs for a city fight, LRMs for wide-open plains, etc. It is a lot better with ammo choices, but still usable without.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Beukeboom Fan

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 11 March 2011, 16:16:50 »
but there is always the possibility to engage with both LRM and SRM, and this change is 0,5t heavier (negliable, I admit) and more costly in terms of heat.

MMLs are great, but they could also be very fast inefficient. E.g. fire support mechs should retain their LRM, a MML is jsut wasteful.

I never think the MML's are wasteful.     You do lose some maximum throw weight - but the flexibility more than makes up for it in most cases.  Thinking about it with a Whitworth type mech.  You could go from 2x LRM-10's (2ammo) & 3ML's to 2x MML-7's (3 ammo) & 3 ML's.  The ability to potentially crit seek with 14 SRM's is a HUGE benefit, and more than offsets the loss from 10 potential hits to 7 with the LRM's. 

I will say it's much less effecient to try and add artemis to the smaller launchers - but it's been my experience that with the proliferation of ECM - that's usually wasted tonnage regardless.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 16:45:37 by Beukeboom Fan »

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 11 March 2011, 16:26:39 »
We've seen a Blakist variant Viking use MMLs well.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 16:33:27 by Nibs »

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 11 March 2011, 16:41:25 »

I really thought the same thing myself...until I recently saw the MML Longbows and Heavy MML carriers in action. If you're going to make the switch to MMLs on a former LRM boat, it's all about quantity.

Beukeboom Fan

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 11 March 2011, 16:51:13 »
I really thought the same thing myself...until I recently saw the MML Longbows and Heavy MML carriers in action. If you're going to make the switch to MMLs on a former LRM boat, it's all about quantity.

If I remember right - the MML Longbow has 6 x MML-9's.   What other IS mech can potentially drop 100+ points of damage on an opponent?  And even it that is HIGHLY unlikely, the average damage and crit-seeking ability inside range 6 is truly scary.  You have gone from a mech that if you could get well inside the minimum range is likely an easy kill, to practically committing suicide.

Shijima_3085

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 11 March 2011, 16:58:43 »
You could replace one unit per fire-support lance with an MML variant without losing much long-range firepower, gain significant integral force protection (e.g. that Longbow variant) and without needing much more logistics support.  Alternatively you could do the same with a short-range brawler lance and gain some additional stand-off and indirect support abilities.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 11 March 2011, 18:01:56 »
A popular upgrade style appears to be to swap out a single large LRM launcher with a smaller LRM-launcher and an MML to make up the difference in throw weight. This is to give a former LRM boat some short range firepower without giving up too much (if any) long range firepower. I'm rather ambivalent about the idea myself because I dislike having LRM-bins that aren't compatible with every weapon that throws LRMs.

What do you guys think about it?

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 11 March 2011, 18:11:36 »

But even then, it completely changes the role of the machine, almost to the point of a heavily equipped MML carrier having little armor but trying to close in to use it's more damaging missiles.

In my opinion, the fans don't use MML's correctly.  While they can be ton-for-ton more efficient than the SRM's, MML's can't replace LRMs at all, and it's a terrible idea to try.  Even worse is their size- you don't truely realize how big they are until you are working with a critpacked 'mech, or until you are using huge amounts.

Using MML's is like using an LRM-based Mech- heavy support.  They should rarely be the main source of firepower, serving to supplement LRM's at range with standard or special munitions, switching to SRM's when something gets in close.  As a personal rule, I try to match the long range damage with the short range damage when I'm putting missile tubes of two kinds on a machine- Twin MML 7 and one LRM 15 is a great setup, especially for a new Crusader.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #25 on: 11 March 2011, 19:39:48 »
In my opinion, the fans don't use MML's correctly.  While they can be ton-for-ton more efficient than the SRM's, MML's can't replace LRMs at all, and it's a terrible idea to try.  Even worse is their size- you don't truely realize how big they are until you are working with a critpacked 'mech, or until you are using huge amounts.

This is my experience as well.  I will run a custom CPLT with x4 MML-7 from time to time that is a maniac demon armor scrubber and crit seeker at close range, but its long range punch leaves much to be desired. 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 11 March 2011, 20:01:25 »
This is my experience as well.  I will run a custom CPLT with x4 MML-7 from time to time that is a maniac demon armor scrubber and crit seeker at close range, but its long range punch leaves much to be desired.

Just curious, but why? If all 4 launchers fire LRM's, that's only 2 less missiles than most standard Catapults...just the vagaries of the missile hit tables, or something else?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #27 on: 11 March 2011, 20:47:30 »
The problem I've observed is that MMLs seem to be substantially less heat efficient per missile than LRMs are.  The MML9 packing Longbow, for example, can only use 4 of its launchers without heat.  That's 36 potential damage, a rather weak output for that amount of heat.  You could fire 4 LRM 15s for the same heat scale, and with the substantial number of crits that MMLs take up, it's hard to pack in the heatsinks to compensate.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 11 March 2011, 20:56:31 »
Just curious, but why? If all 4 launchers fire LRM's, that's only 2 less missiles than most standard Catapults...just the vagaries of the missile hit tables, or something else?

That's probably just it, though I don't like the idea of using heavier launchers like that (I prefer banks of smaller launchers- LRM's can't punch holes well).  While damage is still damage, 7 isn't very much on a crit table.

The problem I've observed is that MMLs seem to be substantially less heat efficient per missile than LRMs are.  The MML9 packing Longbow, for example, can only use 4 of its launchers without heat.  That's 36 potential damage, a rather weak output for that amount of heat.  You could fire 4 LRM 15s for the same heat scale, and with the substantial number of crits that MMLs take up, it's hard to pack in the heatsinks to compensate.

And there's another problem I forgot to address.  MML's can just be too hot to stand sometimes, especially when most of the launchers are bigger than an Inner Sphere Double heat sink.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 11 March 2011, 21:13:19 »

That is one of the reasons I would probably prefer the 13C Longbow to the 14C...but I would take the Crusader-7W over both...

:)

Ruger