Author Topic: TRO 3145--Federated Suns  (Read 188588 times)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
Re: TRO 3145--Federated Suns
« Reply #180 on: 31 May 2013, 13:57:20 »
I just can't wait to see what art you gentlemen have in store for us in TRO 3145: Republic.  [drool] But that's a whole other thread. 

RyuWanderfalke

• Warrant Officer
  • The fist of vengeance.
« Reply #181 on: 31 May 2013, 14:20:01 »
I just can't wait to see what art you gentlemen have in store for us in TRO 3145: Republic.  [drool] But that's a whole other thread.

I just can't wait to see what art you gentlemen have in store for us in TRO 3145: LyrCom.  [drool] But that's a whole other thread.

;)

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #182 on: 31 May 2013, 15:36:45 »
I get the feeling the hate is more about the military failures than about character.

I think it's because he was a rapist, dude. Most normal, healthy people don't like to root for those. It'd be like if Jack the Ripper were elected Prime Minister. People wouldn't focus on his foreign policy, they'd be all bound up in the fact that he disemboweled women for kicks. For some reason that's tough to get past.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #183 on: 31 May 2013, 15:40:01 »
On a slightly more TRO focused shift, I hope for more autocannons and Dakkka.
CASE II would be heavenly as well since I see the Dracs using it.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #184 on: 31 May 2013, 16:02:23 »
Okay, if you Feddies get an Atlas with a Clan RAC (I'd hope for -10, not -20), CASE II, and modular armour, I expect a lot less complaining ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #185 on: 31 May 2013, 16:09:27 »
And the auto cannons have to shoot out Cavaliers from them!
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #186 on: 31 May 2013, 17:38:28 »
I think it's because he was a rapist, dude. Most normal, healthy people don't like to root for those. It'd be like if Jack the Ripper were elected Prime Minister. People wouldn't focus on his foreign policy, they'd be all bound up in the fact that he disemboweled women for kicks. For some reason that's tough to get past.

Murdering his own father for power is up there as well. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

BlueBlood

• Recruit
« Reply #187 on: 31 May 2013, 18:11:34 »
Okay, if you Feddies get an Atlas with a Clan RAC (I'd hope for -10, not -20), CASE II, and modular armour, I expect a lot less complaining ;)

well, they both were produced on Robinson in 3080.   If they still only produced there I doubt the complaining will decrease.

Aldous

• Lieutenant
« Reply #188 on: 31 May 2013, 18:47:45 »

Isn't that an oxymoron?

RogueK

• Sergeant
« Reply #189 on: 31 May 2013, 19:07:46 »
The Black Knight is dead.

LONG LIVE THE BLACK KNIGHT!

Always been one of my fav mechs, hated the looks of the MW4 version. And this one is simply awesome.

Of course the pessimist in me insists that it'll have only been produced on Robinson and thus at best now going to become a Drac exclusive  :P

But then that is why they invented battlefield salvage :)

Suralin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #190 on: 31 May 2013, 19:17:18 »
I got used to the MW4 version of the Black Knight. That big, fat center torso made it so very easy to core... >:D

In any case, I hope to see lots of dakka in this TRO.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #191 on: 31 May 2013, 20:03:33 »
Yeah that's a Marik schtick, some Lyran gal tried it with her mom and last time that didn't end so well for the FedSuns.  :)

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #192 on: 31 May 2013, 20:34:59 »
So, on the Atlas III's right arm, we need a crit for CASE II, a crit for modular armor, a couple of crits for ammo...

Unless it extends into the torso (which is possible although it would bug me a little because it pretty visibly doesn't) or there are new handheld rules in play (in which case all bets are off) the biggest that could be is a RAC-2 (which is kinda puny) or a Clan UAC-10 (which is usually represented as a much smaller weapon).

Color me confused. I guess it's possible that they ditched the CASE II and that it doesn't actually have modular armor, but even so, that thing is sporting a hand and some ammo and with those constraints there's no way to fit any kind of AC-20 in there.

Suralin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #193 on: 31 May 2013, 21:05:06 »
So, on the Atlas III's right arm, we need a crit for CASE II, a crit for modular armor, a couple of crits for ammo...

Unless it extends into the torso (which is possible although it would bug me a little because it pretty visibly doesn't) or there are new handheld rules in play (in which case all bets are off) the biggest that could be is a RAC-2 (which is kinda puny) or a Clan UAC-10 (which is usually represented as a much smaller weapon).

Color me confused. I guess it's possible that they ditched the CASE II and that it doesn't actually have modular armor, but even so, that thing is sporting a hand and some ammo and with those constraints there's no way to fit any kind of AC-20 in there.

It could split the crits between the RA and RT if it had to, I suppose. But that would leave relatively little room for the LRM-20.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #194 on: 31 May 2013, 21:16:07 »
And the auto cannons have to shoot out Cavaliers from them!

Well, one Davion Atlas from the Wizkids battleforce set had infantry transport capability, so ...  ;)

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #195 on: 31 May 2013, 21:26:35 »

You forgot the fact that he didn't like House Marsin. I know he didn't do any known crimes during his time in Periphery March, but okay, I've got nothing. I just didn't like him from the start because Caleb hated the Periphery March when he was first introduced.

The Black Knight is dead.

LONG LIVE THE BLACK KNIGHT!

Always been one of my fav mechs, hated the looks of the MW4 version. And this one is simply awesome.

Of course the pessimist in me insists that it'll have only been produced on Robinson and thus at best now going to become a Drac exclusive  :P

But then that is why they invented battlefield salvage :)

Truly, Robinson Standard Battleworks have probably created two of the most beautiful versions of Wizkids style mechs ever. To bad, the Dracs probably tore the factory down brick by brick just like they did the Battle Academy again.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #196 on: 31 May 2013, 21:50:41 »
Yeah that's a Marik schtick, some Lyran gal tried it with her mom and last time that didn't end so well for the FedSuns Inner Sphere.  :)
Fixed that for you. If the FC had never broken up the WoB would have had a much harder time setting up the Protectorate and everybody wouldn't have been worn out from the FCCW leaving them in much better shape to combat the WoB

As I pointed out before a RAC-2 is too LIGHT to be that gun

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #197 on: 31 May 2013, 22:08:39 »
Shiny new mechs.   [drool]

Me like.  }:)

Lets hope both of them can get produced off of Robinson.... #P
Made by HikageMaru

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #198 on: 31 May 2013, 22:40:12 »

I think the assumption is has Modular armor is a really big one, honestly.
For extra fun considerations, what if it's a Clan Ultra/20?

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #199 on: 31 May 2013, 23:33:16 »
On a slightly more TRO focused shift, I hope for more autocannons and Dakkka.
CASE II would be heavenly as well since I see the Dracs using it.

While we're at it, let's hope for enough ammo to use our new dakka. I rarely run out of ammunition, but sometimes I wanna go full on Predator and level a jungle because I think there's something stealth in there.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #200 on: 01 June 2013, 00:57:33 »
That new Black Knight looks like the love child of a 'mech and a Metroid suit.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #201 on: 01 June 2013, 01:14:23 »
That new Black Knight looks like the love child of a 'mech and a Metroid suit.

And that's a BAD thing?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #202 on: 01 June 2013, 01:17:36 »
And that's a BAD thing?
As I understand it the common understanding of how copyright works is that you MUST sue anyone who might be infringing on your work

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #203 on: 01 June 2013, 02:30:01 »
I think the assumption is has Modular armor is a really big one, honestly.
For extra fun considerations, what if it's a Clan Ultra/20?
Even if it's a Clan AC-20 (8 Crits), that leaves no space for anything else unless it extends into the torso, and it doesn't appear to do that. Now, I suppose they could pull some sort of "the weight and bulk of the autocannon require additional reinforcement in the right torso, and heavily restrict the arm's ability to traverse" thing. If it does get split that'd leave space for CASE II, some ammo, and maybe modular armor (I think modular armor is more likely than not, given the fluff about the panels not restricting movement once destroyed sounding exactly like modular armor).

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #204 on: 01 June 2013, 02:37:29 »
since the crit system is an abstraction, it could just be that the weight of the cannon required some kind of reinforcement and additonal infrastructure in the next torso over, not to mention utility feeds. Doesn't mean that the actual firing part of the gun has to reside partially in that torso
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

RyuWanderfalke

• Warrant Officer
  • The fist of vengeance.
« Reply #205 on: 01 June 2013, 04:09:09 »
IS RAC5 works perfectly fine as proved in the Atlas III design thread.
Clan RAC5 doesn't work however.
And Modular armor because it almost literally said so in the linknet article and is also pretty visible in the artwork.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #206 on: 01 June 2013, 04:49:23 »
As I pointed out before a RAC-2 is too LIGHT to be that gun

Well, it could still be a RAC/2. That would actually match up well with the "misleading typo" comment we've seen -- the description might have been meant to refer to just such a one, but the size of the thing and the fact that the class 20 is far more traditionally associated with the Atlas could well have lead to a slip of the fingers giving us the apocryphal "rotary AC/20".

Pure speculation on my part, of course. I mean, I can hear the future fan outcry if my airy hypothesis should somehow manage to turn out to be true now already... ;)

RogueK

• Sergeant
« Reply #207 on: 01 June 2013, 08:03:43 »
Truly, Robinson Standard Battleworks have probably created two of the most beautiful versions of Wizkids style mechs ever. To bad, the Dracs probably tore the factory down brick by brick just like they did the Battle Academy again.

I've seen some Fedsuns fans who are rather heavilly invested in the success of their faction say that they fear this TRO will be full of useless units.

If the Writers truly hated the fedsuns they wouldn't do that (disclaimer. I don't think they do). They'd give them a decent assortment of awesome units. Their good units as good or better than their neighbours.

Then put all the cool units as only recently having started production on Capellan or Draconis march worlds, AKA using the TRO as an excuse to hand even more cool units to the factions smashing the Fedsuns:P

As it is I do actually expect them to take 1-2 units in the TRO that have been in production long enough to classify as Fedsuns on the MUL, and then either have factories disabled by damage or in enemy hands. Simply to show how bad the situation is.

BTW: Is it just me or does the whole situation read as "Dracs use Cunning, courage and perseverance to break the Fedsuns military. While the Capellans waltz in getting the opportunity on a silver platter having done as little as possible to actually earn it"?

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #208 on: 01 June 2013, 09:09:54 »
More like Dracs use cunning and their best ally, the First Prince, to get their victories, and Liao seeing an opportunity to deal with the Republic's biggest ally...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #209 on: 01 June 2013, 09:51:14 »
Considering how rare BattleMech Factories really are, i would imagine Robinson Standard Battleworks would continue to exist for the Dragon.  Considering this place is on the frontlines, that would short-in up time to get replacement components to units in the field during the invasion.  Grant you it will be big target for surviving FedSun units, but more honey lure bees to be swat by the waiting forces.    Either way,  i don't think its going go away anytime soon.  Maybe new Drac designs may appear there, considering we don't know what Robinson Standard Battleworks is producing these days.  The old Watchman isn't bad generic troop design to have in the ranks if its still around.  Then again the place also know for making the Sagittaire, Atlas, and the Black Knight.

If anything happens, they'll move it somewhere else. If does take a decade to do it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki